Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Asperger's and Separation Anxiety???
1 2 3 4
@ BlueRoses

okay first i wanna say i never??? said you were like someone who wanted to kill autistic ppl, i was just explaining the depth of the stigma...? i also wasn't trying to imply you were upset by things autistic people do (namely being nonverbal) i was literally just trying to explain to you why we do it. maybe i came off as angry, but i was just attempting to give you some insight to the questions you seemed to be asking. and to be clear, all of the following is Also just me trying to help you understand being autistic. i want to help people understand more about autistic people, genuinely, and i'm more than happy to answer any questions you might have to the best of my ability. as one person, i cannot speak for everyone, and i don't claim to, but i will speak to all of the knowledge that i have.

"less-severe autism" is also wording you should avoid. autistic people don't really exist on a scale from "normal" to "Deep In The Trenches Of Autism". everyone experiences being autistic differently, and because of that, everyone has different needs. i heard someone explain it as an ice cream bar once, and that made a lot of sense to me. different parts of being autistic, like hating certain sounds, or having a hard time going into a grocery store, are like different kinds of ice cream toppings. just because i got three different kinds of sprinkles doesn't mean that someone Else who has exactly three other toppings, experiences the world in the same way i do. some people might've gotten one or two toppings, and someone else might've gotten six. the person with one topping, the person with six toppings, and me, could all have the same exact flavor of sprinkle! maybe we're all extremely sensitive to all the happenings at the grocery store, and get overstimulated easily. saying the person who just has a single topping doesn't experience all the overstimulating things at the grocery store "as severely" as i do, even if they Do and they Really cannot go into that store, doesn't make sense. neither does telling the person with six toppings they can "suck it up" when they can't wear shirts of a certain fabric, because maybe the person who just got the sprinkles doesn't mind it.

all of our experiences, all of us as people, are unique. putting us into categories based on "how functioning" we are, instead of just listening and learning about all of us not just as "people with autism", but as people, is just... absurd. like, some people definitely need more resources than others, but trying to shove us all into certain "functioning" categories to decide what we need and who we are... doesn't work.
this also directly applies to the '-with autism' thing. you said "It makes them sound more Autistic than human." which sounds like you see autism as a simply negative Affliction, something apart from our humanity. even if you have good intentions, this kind of wording can be very harmful. autism is not some kind of disease, it's simply the way we are. i'm no good at math, sometimes i don't understand jokes, noises are much louder for me, i cry when i have to wear clothes that don't feel right, and so much more! but those things do not take away from my humanity. i am not a human despite these things, they are just as much a part of my humanity as everything else. and not every aspect of being autistic is something "Bad" either, despite what people try to make it seem like. i mean, ask me Anything about pokemon, and i can answer it without a second thought. (i'm pretty sure my brain is just a vast library of all my pokemon knowledge at this point) (this is a serious statement) (17 years of being fully saturated in pokemon will do that to you)

and @Doki is totally right on about the 'asperger's' thing, literally just ditto on that. and the whole general 'you' thing, i guess i use them pretty frequently without realizing it might sound bad. honestly ditto on Everything he said because thats like. Yeah. Exactly.

anyways, i'm probably missing something and if thats the case like, pm me, or just pm me either way if youve got more questions or anything. it's like, unprofessional but i'm like, for real tired tonight and i kind of want to go to bed.
@ BlueRoses

okay first i wanna say i never??? said you were like someone who wanted to kill autistic ppl, i was just explaining the depth of the stigma...? i also wasn't trying to imply you were upset by things autistic people do (namely being nonverbal) i was literally just trying to explain to you why we do it. maybe i came off as angry, but i was just attempting to give you some insight to the questions you seemed to be asking. and to be clear, all of the following is Also just me trying to help you understand being autistic. i want to help people understand more about autistic people, genuinely, and i'm more than happy to answer any questions you might have to the best of my ability. as one person, i cannot speak for everyone, and i don't claim to, but i will speak to all of the knowledge that i have.

"less-severe autism" is also wording you should avoid. autistic people don't really exist on a scale from "normal" to "Deep In The Trenches Of Autism". everyone experiences being autistic differently, and because of that, everyone has different needs. i heard someone explain it as an ice cream bar once, and that made a lot of sense to me. different parts of being autistic, like hating certain sounds, or having a hard time going into a grocery store, are like different kinds of ice cream toppings. just because i got three different kinds of sprinkles doesn't mean that someone Else who has exactly three other toppings, experiences the world in the same way i do. some people might've gotten one or two toppings, and someone else might've gotten six. the person with one topping, the person with six toppings, and me, could all have the same exact flavor of sprinkle! maybe we're all extremely sensitive to all the happenings at the grocery store, and get overstimulated easily. saying the person who just has a single topping doesn't experience all the overstimulating things at the grocery store "as severely" as i do, even if they Do and they Really cannot go into that store, doesn't make sense. neither does telling the person with six toppings they can "suck it up" when they can't wear shirts of a certain fabric, because maybe the person who just got the sprinkles doesn't mind it.

all of our experiences, all of us as people, are unique. putting us into categories based on "how functioning" we are, instead of just listening and learning about all of us not just as "people with autism", but as people, is just... absurd. like, some people definitely need more resources than others, but trying to shove us all into certain "functioning" categories to decide what we need and who we are... doesn't work.
this also directly applies to the '-with autism' thing. you said "It makes them sound more Autistic than human." which sounds like you see autism as a simply negative Affliction, something apart from our humanity. even if you have good intentions, this kind of wording can be very harmful. autism is not some kind of disease, it's simply the way we are. i'm no good at math, sometimes i don't understand jokes, noises are much louder for me, i cry when i have to wear clothes that don't feel right, and so much more! but those things do not take away from my humanity. i am not a human despite these things, they are just as much a part of my humanity as everything else. and not every aspect of being autistic is something "Bad" either, despite what people try to make it seem like. i mean, ask me Anything about pokemon, and i can answer it without a second thought. (i'm pretty sure my brain is just a vast library of all my pokemon knowledge at this point) (this is a serious statement) (17 years of being fully saturated in pokemon will do that to you)

and @Doki is totally right on about the 'asperger's' thing, literally just ditto on that. and the whole general 'you' thing, i guess i use them pretty frequently without realizing it might sound bad. honestly ditto on Everything he said because thats like. Yeah. Exactly.

anyways, i'm probably missing something and if thats the case like, pm me, or just pm me either way if youve got more questions or anything. it's like, unprofessional but i'm like, for real tired tonight and i kind of want to go to bed.
tumblr_o0enq6OYXC1u77kq2o1_400.png
I have the condition formerly known as Asperger's, and I've had some minor experience with being possessive. I get very upset when I expect to see my friends and I don't, or when I see them talking to someone else during the only time I get to see them, but I've never been in a romantic relationship, so I can't help you there. (I just have crushes on anime characters. e.e) I agree with everything everyone else says.

It does not matter to me whether I am referred to as "Autistic" or "with Autism." The message is communicated with either phrasing. Is that bad? (Also, why are the names of every Neurotype capitalized?)
I have the condition formerly known as Asperger's, and I've had some minor experience with being possessive. I get very upset when I expect to see my friends and I don't, or when I see them talking to someone else during the only time I get to see them, but I've never been in a romantic relationship, so I can't help you there. (I just have crushes on anime characters. e.e) I agree with everything everyone else says.

It does not matter to me whether I am referred to as "Autistic" or "with Autism." The message is communicated with either phrasing. Is that bad? (Also, why are the names of every Neurotype capitalized?)
I7a1ndF.pngOxagJgG.pngWBC5JG3.pngwOEIAes.png
As someone with Aspergers (and who greatly prefers that to autistic) I can only reiterate what others have said. The nonverbal moments and becoming overwhelmed are often things attributed to being autistic but the violence is decidedly not. I would stay away from him.
As someone with Aspergers (and who greatly prefers that to autistic) I can only reiterate what others have said. The nonverbal moments and becoming overwhelmed are often things attributed to being autistic but the violence is decidedly not. I would stay away from him.
natureshieldl.png NIJBYPt.png uRC0U7k.png NIJBYPt.png natureshieldr.png
Yeah, this aspie used to be very, very clingy in relationships, especially when I was very young which it sounds like you are. Took me a very long time and a few failed relationships to grow out of it.

I still suffer from a certain degree of separation anxiety, especially when I’m going to a place where there will be lots of strangers (e.g. on a train or coach) and there is not space for me to sit next to the person I am with as then it is combined with my anxiety about sitting with strangers and travelling. The lecture theatre incident is familiar to me, though I’ve never sworn at people. I have cried and gone non-verbal though.

Not sure if people are over-reacting about the table flipping? Bearing in mind that his mother had, from his point of view, violated his privacy about a medical condition he was obviously extremely insecure about (he probably should have told his partner, but that is another matter).
I mean that’s a pretty gross breach of medical confidentiality- in that situation I would be feeling a heck of a lot of fear ("Will this person I’m extremely attached to reject me because of this?" "Will they tell other people? Will other people reject my company or attack me?" -it’s already been said that people can be violent towards us).
On top of that I’d be feeling betrayed by my parent, someone I’m supposed to be able to trust entirely. Could I cope with all that emotion at once? Probably not. I know I’ve lashed out at objects in anxiety during a meltdown before. It’s not like he lashed out at @BlueRoses.
Not that I’m suggesting she goes back to him- if she was 'dreading seeing him again' that’s obviously not a good scenario for either of them, even if he doesn’t realise it yet. Just trying to express that I don’t think lashing out at an inanimate object in a situation of immense stress necessarily makes someone a violent person. He just needs to work on his attachment issues before he tries the whole relationship thing again. :/
Yeah, this aspie used to be very, very clingy in relationships, especially when I was very young which it sounds like you are. Took me a very long time and a few failed relationships to grow out of it.

I still suffer from a certain degree of separation anxiety, especially when I’m going to a place where there will be lots of strangers (e.g. on a train or coach) and there is not space for me to sit next to the person I am with as then it is combined with my anxiety about sitting with strangers and travelling. The lecture theatre incident is familiar to me, though I’ve never sworn at people. I have cried and gone non-verbal though.

Not sure if people are over-reacting about the table flipping? Bearing in mind that his mother had, from his point of view, violated his privacy about a medical condition he was obviously extremely insecure about (he probably should have told his partner, but that is another matter).
I mean that’s a pretty gross breach of medical confidentiality- in that situation I would be feeling a heck of a lot of fear ("Will this person I’m extremely attached to reject me because of this?" "Will they tell other people? Will other people reject my company or attack me?" -it’s already been said that people can be violent towards us).
On top of that I’d be feeling betrayed by my parent, someone I’m supposed to be able to trust entirely. Could I cope with all that emotion at once? Probably not. I know I’ve lashed out at objects in anxiety during a meltdown before. It’s not like he lashed out at @BlueRoses.
Not that I’m suggesting she goes back to him- if she was 'dreading seeing him again' that’s obviously not a good scenario for either of them, even if he doesn’t realise it yet. Just trying to express that I don’t think lashing out at an inanimate object in a situation of immense stress necessarily makes someone a violent person. He just needs to work on his attachment issues before he tries the whole relationship thing again. :/
I've got a question for other Autistic people-Why is 'Asperger's' bad? I mean, I know I don't know my TYPE of autism, but I really don't care about asperger's? (I don't even know the name of the type of autism I have, RIP me. Why am I that forgetful and yet I remember well?)
I've got a question for other Autistic people-Why is 'Asperger's' bad? I mean, I know I don't know my TYPE of autism, but I really don't care about asperger's? (I don't even know the name of the type of autism I have, RIP me. Why am I that forgetful and yet I remember well?)
Altered version of the 'Fancy Rat' item, edited to have a more blue colour scheme, grey/white husky colouring, and a pair of blue-tipped black crow wings + matching tail feathers. crow, they/them, fr+8
Pixel badges: Rat OwnerFallen London fandom
Rain World fandomGoth

current icon
@Arcticae
Thank you for your comment. I really appreciate you telling me your opinion. Regarding the privacy breach thing; his mother was still his legal guardian at that point in time. He was not legally an adult yet, which gave her the right to disclose information about his mental health. In this situation, his mother was under the impression that I already knew he had Autism. My ex had previously lied to her and said he had already talked to me about it. She thought I knew, and likely wouldn't have brought it up otherwise.

Additionally, I am not convinced that my ex flipping the table and threatening to kill his mother was caused by Autism, but the situation was definitely affected by it. He most likely had some sort of difficulty regulating his anger in addition to Autism. While I am aware that Autism makes it difficult to verbalize stress and other intense emotions, I think he reacted in a way that is not characteristic of Autism. As soon as he heard me say the word "Autism," he responded immediately. There were not any visible signs of internal confusion or unresponsiveness that are commonly caused by Autism. The way he reacted suddenly and violently makes me think he had other anger issues as well.
@Arcticae
Thank you for your comment. I really appreciate you telling me your opinion. Regarding the privacy breach thing; his mother was still his legal guardian at that point in time. He was not legally an adult yet, which gave her the right to disclose information about his mental health. In this situation, his mother was under the impression that I already knew he had Autism. My ex had previously lied to her and said he had already talked to me about it. She thought I knew, and likely wouldn't have brought it up otherwise.

Additionally, I am not convinced that my ex flipping the table and threatening to kill his mother was caused by Autism, but the situation was definitely affected by it. He most likely had some sort of difficulty regulating his anger in addition to Autism. While I am aware that Autism makes it difficult to verbalize stress and other intense emotions, I think he reacted in a way that is not characteristic of Autism. As soon as he heard me say the word "Autism," he responded immediately. There were not any visible signs of internal confusion or unresponsiveness that are commonly caused by Autism. The way he reacted suddenly and violently makes me think he had other anger issues as well.
PMkIcSP.png
[quote name="@Averat" date=2016-10-12 04:25:28] I've got a question for other Autistic people-Why is 'Asperger's' bad? I mean, I know I don't know my TYPE of autism, but I really don't care about asperger's? (I don't even know the name of the type of autism I have, RIP me. Why am I that forgetful and yet I remember well?) [/quote] "Asperger's" isn't bad. It's just, as of recently, a bit outdated. People who have Asperger's Syndrome are Autistic, they were just considered to be a "high functioning" version of Autistic which was considered to be "better" than anyone who was "further down" on the spectrum. The new DSM condensed everything into ASD -- Autism Spectrum Disorder. Some people dislike it because it mashes all of us together, and some of us prefer it because of that. I, personally, prefer it that way because it completely nixes the "High Functioning vs Low Functioning" labels. We're all Autistic -- we all have different needs, but that doesn't make any of us better or worse or less deserving of support because of where we may fall on the spectrum. Honestly, I would challenge anyone to think about why they might want to stick to a label that is an Autistic one but avoids saying "Autistic". Because there's nothing wrong with being Autistic, it's just a neurotype. Hope that makes sense. ~~ @BattleATrueHero One of the reasons people prefer "Autistic person" rather than "person with Autism" is because there's the assumption that the autistic person would be different (and better off) without that autism. It's used to separate the autism from the person, which isn't something that can be done because it's a neurotype. Though I understand why the semantics of that would be sausages to some people, lol. It's all about preferences and I don't mind either phrasing so long as someone isn't saying "autism" the same way you say "killer wasps"
@Averat wrote on 2016-10-12:

"Asperger's" isn't bad. It's just, as of recently, a bit outdated. People who have Asperger's Syndrome are Autistic, they were just considered to be a "high functioning" version of Autistic which was considered to be "better" than anyone who was "further down" on the spectrum.

The new DSM condensed everything into ASD -- Autism Spectrum Disorder. Some people dislike it because it mashes all of us together, and some of us prefer it because of that. I, personally, prefer it that way because it completely nixes the "High Functioning vs Low Functioning" labels. We're all Autistic -- we all have different needs, but that doesn't make any of us better or worse or less deserving of support because of where we may fall on the spectrum. Honestly, I would challenge anyone to think about why they might want to stick to a label that is an Autistic one but avoids saying "Autistic". Because there's nothing wrong with being Autistic, it's just a neurotype.

Hope that makes sense.

~~

@BattleATrueHero One of the reasons people prefer "Autistic person" rather than "person with Autism" is because there's the assumption that the autistic person would be different (and better off) without that autism. It's used to separate the autism from the person, which isn't something that can be done because it's a neurotype. Though I understand why the semantics of that would be sausages to some people, lol. It's all about preferences and I don't mind either phrasing so long as someone isn't saying "autism" the same way you say "killer wasps"
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
One thing to remember is that the removal of the word aspergers from diagnoses and phrasing is not something that has happened in every country so it's not considered a bad word to use everywhere. So it's worth keeping in mind that this is very very new information to a lot of people.
One thing to remember is that the removal of the word aspergers from diagnoses and phrasing is not something that has happened in every country so it's not considered a bad word to use everywhere. So it's worth keeping in mind that this is very very new information to a lot of people.
I collect Vibrant Flutterers!

I'm recovering from a serious illness. Please bear with me as I'm very tired and out of it right now.
hi
hi
@tubbs
Like @Morphini said, Asperger's is still a diagnosis in a lot of places. It is still used in the ICD-10. Only the DSM-5 has removed it, and lots of people find that to have been a premature removal. I believe that lots of people with Asperger's, myself included, aren't truly autistic and are better described as a severe form of Nonverbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) rather than autism. There are still lots of discrepancies between Asperger's and autism that weren't sorted out in research before AS was removed from the DSM-5.
@tubbs
Like @Morphini said, Asperger's is still a diagnosis in a lot of places. It is still used in the ICD-10. Only the DSM-5 has removed it, and lots of people find that to have been a premature removal. I believe that lots of people with Asperger's, myself included, aren't truly autistic and are better described as a severe form of Nonverbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) rather than autism. There are still lots of discrepancies between Asperger's and autism that weren't sorted out in research before AS was removed from the DSM-5.
SunsetMagnum.jpgFjgpNYm.png1j6wDhn.pngreHWBXk.png
1 2 3 4