Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Words on the Wind, March 2016
1 2 ... 104 105 106 107 108 ... 112 113
@hiroki

Except, no.

We don't know for sure how a gene is going to behave when it is exclusively a coli-drop just by virtue of the fact that there's never been one. We can make guesses based on other coli-exclusive items, but Eggs don't work quite right because you can gather them, and boss familiars and apparel don't work quite right because they're often venue specific.

People who are able to coli-grind will have the chance to get the genes for "free". Free in quotes because it's going to take a lot of time. But they will not have to spend money to get it. Whereas people who cannot coli-grind, like me (I can, but only for short periods at a time), are going to be forced to pay other players exorbitantly high prices. And with a rarity similar to eggs, it's not going to be likely that we'll see more than a handful of genes go up on the AH at any given time. Undercutting is probably going to be minimal, and it's unlikely that a player who spent 30+ hours grinding is going to let the scroll go for anything less than a bank-breaking price. And while I can't blame them for that, I'd want my money's worth too, we can avoid that but just not setting up that system.

Regardless, though, the idea very much spits in the face of disabled players because they will not have the same opportunities to get the gene that players without a disability will have. That's inherently unfair, and worse considering that the site is already imbalanced in favor of people who can coli-grind. It's unfair to possibly begin sectioning off genes to those who are able to do things that other players can't. I shouldn't be penalized for being disabled. I should have the same chance to acquire the genes for nothing more than time, just as much as an abled player might.

Plus, the RNG is notoriously unreliable and unfair anyway. Sure, that's the nature of an RNG, but I don't want something as core to Flight Rising as genes being at the whim of a busted coli with atrocious RNG.
@hiroki

Except, no.

We don't know for sure how a gene is going to behave when it is exclusively a coli-drop just by virtue of the fact that there's never been one. We can make guesses based on other coli-exclusive items, but Eggs don't work quite right because you can gather them, and boss familiars and apparel don't work quite right because they're often venue specific.

People who are able to coli-grind will have the chance to get the genes for "free". Free in quotes because it's going to take a lot of time. But they will not have to spend money to get it. Whereas people who cannot coli-grind, like me (I can, but only for short periods at a time), are going to be forced to pay other players exorbitantly high prices. And with a rarity similar to eggs, it's not going to be likely that we'll see more than a handful of genes go up on the AH at any given time. Undercutting is probably going to be minimal, and it's unlikely that a player who spent 30+ hours grinding is going to let the scroll go for anything less than a bank-breaking price. And while I can't blame them for that, I'd want my money's worth too, we can avoid that but just not setting up that system.

Regardless, though, the idea very much spits in the face of disabled players because they will not have the same opportunities to get the gene that players without a disability will have. That's inherently unfair, and worse considering that the site is already imbalanced in favor of people who can coli-grind. It's unfair to possibly begin sectioning off genes to those who are able to do things that other players can't. I shouldn't be penalized for being disabled. I should have the same chance to acquire the genes for nothing more than time, just as much as an abled player might.

Plus, the RNG is notoriously unreliable and unfair anyway. Sure, that's the nature of an RNG, but I don't want something as core to Flight Rising as genes being at the whim of a busted coli with atrocious RNG.
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
I'd like Python and morph to drop in the coli, but more than eggs, as with that drop rate there would be very few python gened dragons
I'd like Python and morph to drop in the coli, but more than eggs, as with that drop rate there would be very few python gened dragons
[quote name="McAlli" date=2016-03-26 20:25:12] @hiroki Except, no. We don't know for sure how a gene is going to behave when it is exclusively a coli-drop just by virtue of the fact that there's never been one. We can make guesses based on other coli-exclusive items, but Eggs don't work quite right because you can gather them, and boss familiars and apparel don't work quite right because they're often venue specific. People who are able to coli-grind will have the chance to get the genes for "free". Free in quotes because it's going to take a lot of time. But they will not have to spend money to get it. Whereas people who cannot coli-grind, like me (I can, but only for short periods at a time), are going to be forced to pay other players exorbitantly high prices. And with a rarity similar to eggs, it's not going to be likely that we'll see more than a handful of genes go up on the AH at any given time. Undercutting is probably going to be minimal, and it's unlikely that a player who spent 30+ hours grinding is going to let the scroll go for anything less than a bank-breaking price. And while I can't blame them for that, I'd want my money's worth too, we can avoid that but just not setting up that system. Regardless, though, the idea very much spits in the face of disabled players because they will not have the same opportunities to get the gene that players without a disability will have. That's inherently unfair, and worse considering that the site is already imbalanced in favor of people who can coli-grind. It's unfair to possibly begin sectioning off genes to those who are able to do things that other players can't. I shouldn't be penalized for being disabled. I should have the same chance to acquire the genes for nothing more than time, just as much as an abled player might. Plus, the RNG is notoriously unreliable and unfair anyway. Sure, that's the nature of an RNG, but I don't want something as core to Flight Rising as genes being at the whim of a busted coli with atrocious RNG. [/quote] What if it was a gathering and coliseum drop just like eggs are? It is still biased toward grinders, but it still does provide the possibility of obtaining it through gathering (all forms)?
McAlli wrote on 2016-03-26:
@hiroki

Except, no.

What if it was a gathering and coliseum drop just like eggs are? It is still biased toward grinders, but it still does provide the possibility of obtaining it through gathering (all forms)?
Image by geistlich
plague3_zpseb3fb867.png
[quote name="McAlli" date=2016-03-26 20:25:12] @hiroki Except, no. We don't know for sure how a gene is going to behave when it is exclusively a coli-drop just by virtue of the fact that there's never been one. We can make guesses based on other coli-exclusive items, but Eggs don't work quite right because you can gather them, and boss familiars and apparel don't work quite right because they're often venue specific. People who are able to coli-grind will have the chance to get the genes for "free". Free in quotes because it's going to take a lot of time. But they will not have to spend money to get it. Whereas people who cannot coli-grind, like me (I can, but only for short periods at a time), are going to be forced to pay other players exorbitantly high prices. And with a rarity similar to eggs, it's not going to be likely that we'll see more than a handful of genes go up on the AH at any given time. Undercutting is probably going to be minimal, and it's unlikely that a player who spent 30+ hours grinding is going to let the scroll go for anything less than a bank-breaking price. And while I can't blame them for that, I'd want my money's worth too, we can avoid that but just not setting up that system. Regardless, though, the idea very much spits in the face of disabled players because they will not have the same opportunities to get the gene that players without a disability will have. That's inherently unfair, and worse considering that the site is already imbalanced in favor of people who can coli-grind. It's unfair to possibly begin sectioning off genes to those who are able to do things that other players can't. I shouldn't be penalized for being disabled. I should have the same chance to acquire the genes for nothing more than time, just as much as an abled player might. Plus, the RNG is notoriously unreliable and unfair anyway. Sure, that's the nature of an RNG, but I don't want something as core to Flight Rising as genes being at the whim of a busted coli with atrocious RNG. [/quote] I'm intrigued by your argument on how others are getting the gene for free, but then hedging suddenly to say that it isn't really free because of the massive time/work put into it. That's precisely what's wrong with this illusion that others are getting stuff for free and you aren't just because you can't/don't have time to grind the coli. I know of very very few players who literally grind the coli for eggs, because given the pathetic drop rate [i]it's simply not worth the time[/i]. People who really want eggs buy them from AH/forums, period. And I've already pointed out that depending on what you mean by "exorbitant" - it'll be the case that either other genes on gem MP are already "exorbitant" by your standards (which neutralizes your claim of "unfairness" on this one particular coli gene) or that it reaches a point where FR staff is likely to intervene and increase drop rates - look at what happened to NotN currency for starters. And what's your "money worth"? Unlike MP genes, it makes no sense to slap a price on the gene at the outset and that gauge fairness in accordance to that imaginary price. The whole point of a coli gene is that the price fluctuates according to supply/demand and is correlated to its rarity, which makes the idea of an "innate worth" facile. I don't want to respond to your claim that everything is unfair and people who can't play coli are being penalized, except to ask you to consider if it would not be equally "unfair" to Coli grinders if you ask for goodies that you want to be blocked from Coli. I'm not sure what your beef with the RNG is - because if it's "unfair" that's probably the best proof of it working well. Finally, if you stop taking everything you don't like about the game so personally, perhaps you'll enjoy it a little more. Jemadar has outlined the reasons for a coli gene very nicely on the previous page - I don't have anything more to add to this conversation so I'll take my leave ;)
McAlli wrote on 2016-03-26:
@hiroki

Except, no.

I'm intrigued by your argument on how others are getting the gene for free, but then hedging suddenly to say that it isn't really free because of the massive time/work put into it. That's precisely what's wrong with this illusion that others are getting stuff for free and you aren't just because you can't/don't have time to grind the coli. I know of very very few players who literally grind the coli for eggs, because given the pathetic drop rate it's simply not worth the time. People who really want eggs buy them from AH/forums, period. And I've already pointed out that depending on what you mean by "exorbitant" - it'll be the case that either other genes on gem MP are already "exorbitant" by your standards (which neutralizes your claim of "unfairness" on this one particular coli gene) or that it reaches a point where FR staff is likely to intervene and increase drop rates - look at what happened to NotN currency for starters.

And what's your "money worth"? Unlike MP genes, it makes no sense to slap a price on the gene at the outset and that gauge fairness in accordance to that imaginary price. The whole point of a coli gene is that the price fluctuates according to supply/demand and is correlated to its rarity, which makes the idea of an "innate worth" facile.

I don't want to respond to your claim that everything is unfair and people who can't play coli are being penalized, except to ask you to consider if it would not be equally "unfair" to Coli grinders if you ask for goodies that you want to be blocked from Coli. I'm not sure what your beef with the RNG is - because if it's "unfair" that's probably the best proof of it working well.

Finally, if you stop taking everything you don't like about the game so personally, perhaps you'll enjoy it a little more. Jemadar has outlined the reasons for a coli gene very nicely on the previous page - I don't have anything more to add to this conversation so I'll take my leave ;)
Not sure if this has been asked or not (as I haven't waded through all 106 pages of this thread), but with regard to the three separate Auction Houses, will there perhaps be "checkbox" options of which of the Auction Houses to search? For example, would we be able to search all three Auction Houses in a single search? I sincerely hope so, because otherwise that's going to make searching for dragons of specific breeds, genders, genes, and colors take three times as long.
Not sure if this has been asked or not (as I haven't waded through all 106 pages of this thread), but with regard to the three separate Auction Houses, will there perhaps be "checkbox" options of which of the Auction Houses to search? For example, would we be able to search all three Auction Houses in a single search? I sincerely hope so, because otherwise that's going to make searching for dragons of specific breeds, genders, genes, and colors take three times as long.
13578.png18445.png21372.png21373.png18444.png13579.png
@hiroki ....coli-grinders will get the gene for "free". They don't have to spend money but they have to put in time. I cannot put in the time and therefore I'm forced to put forth money, which is unfair. End point. I am not going to get the same opportunity to get the gene as an abled player. This is unfair. This is penalizing me for my disability. The staff should not be doing that just by virtue of giving a [crap] about their disabled players. [quote]except to ask you to consider if it would not be equally "unfair" to Coli grinders if you ask for goodies that you want to be blocked from Coli.[/quote] The lack of accessibility is the problem. I'm not saying that coli-grinders can't have [i]any [/i]things because I can't get them. They get tons more money, exclusive familiars and apparel, etc, and I don't complain about that -- but [i]genes [/i]are a different ballgame and therefore, yes, I will definitely continue to point out how unfair it is. [quote]Finally, if you stop taking everything you don't like about the game so personally, perhaps you'll enjoy it a little more.[/quote] Don't do this. I'm taking it personally because, guess what, [i]it personally affects me[/i]. I'm a disabled player and a coli-exclusive gene directly excludes me from fair acquisition of said gene. So yes. I'm taking it personally. That doesn't make my points any less valid. Whether Jemadar makes good points or not, my viewpoint is still valid. End point.
@hiroki

....coli-grinders will get the gene for "free". They don't have to spend money but they have to put in time. I cannot put in the time and therefore I'm forced to put forth money, which is unfair. End point.

I am not going to get the same opportunity to get the gene as an abled player. This is unfair. This is penalizing me for my disability. The staff should not be doing that just by virtue of giving a [crap] about their disabled players.
Quote:
except to ask you to consider if it would not be equally "unfair" to Coli grinders if you ask for goodies that you want to be blocked from Coli.

The lack of accessibility is the problem. I'm not saying that coli-grinders can't have any things because I can't get them. They get tons more money, exclusive familiars and apparel, etc, and I don't complain about that -- but genes are a different ballgame and therefore, yes, I will definitely continue to point out how unfair it is.
Quote:
Finally, if you stop taking everything you don't like about the game so personally, perhaps you'll enjoy it a little more.

Don't do this. I'm taking it personally because, guess what, it personally affects me. I'm a disabled player and a coli-exclusive gene directly excludes me from fair acquisition of said gene. So yes. I'm taking it personally. That doesn't make my points any less valid. Whether Jemadar makes good points or not, my viewpoint is still valid.

End point.
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
I've gotta say I'm just...so excited for flight specific auction houses...dom will benefit so much...
I've gotta say I'm just...so excited for flight specific auction houses...dom will benefit so much...
K6TNbNL.pnggnd7XS8.pngKBrR3YL.pngipiaOGP.pngLrK9u2q.png
[quote name="Arachnomancer" date=2016-03-26 22:04:15] Not sure if this has been asked or not (as I haven't waded through all 106 pages of this thread), but with regard to the three separate Auction Houses, will there perhaps be "checkbox" options of which of the Auction Houses to search? For example, would we be able to search all three Auction Houses in a single search? I sincerely hope so, because otherwise that's going to make searching for dragons of specific breeds, genders, genes, and colors take three times as long. [/quote] Yeah, I was concerned about this too. I don't want searching to take longer because of the separate AHs. I do appreciate the flight specific AH though. I also want to support everyone else who was hoping to search for color ranges for dragons because that would be extremely useful. And I'd also like to be able to search for Gen 1 Dragons. I'm very happy to hear we will be able to search by age. Thanks for the update, it sounds good overall!
Arachnomancer wrote on 2016-03-26:

Yeah, I was concerned about this too. I don't want searching to take longer because of the separate AHs. I do appreciate the flight specific AH though.

I also want to support everyone else who was hoping to search for color ranges for dragons because that would be extremely useful. And I'd also like to be able to search for Gen 1 Dragons. I'm very happy to hear we will be able to search by age. Thanks for the update, it sounds good overall!
Looking for retired accent Spherical Artefact v2 by Heathers
Found here

Will pay top dollar! Please message me if you're willing to sell. Thank you!
I love the idea of a Coli gene, but I feel that it should be more special/warlike than these. These just remind me of Smoke, though I like how irregular the patterns are.
I love the idea of a Coli gene, but I feel that it should be more special/warlike than these. These just remind me of Smoke, though I like how irregular the patterns are.
WOW???
WOW???
1 2 ... 104 105 106 107 108 ... 112 113