Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Dragon Writers: December Edition!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11
@micahjaguar I am pretty sure I've quit FR except for the writer's chat. -_- I did buy a copy of Butterfly, though! And I am extra-amused by this because my players and I decided on Sunday to re-start an old play-by-email RPG I ran in 2012, in a system called "Terrible Butterflies". :D

And oh gosh, Lirope and Prince look so good the way they are now, given their accents. I don't think I could butterfly either one of them. @_@ Do you have any other candidates?

I have no idea who I'm going to use Butterfly on. It'd be nice if it looks good on somebody I don't already love as they are. I haven't even looked yet; I decided I wanted to get to the thread first.

@ShadesofCyan *giggles at the "ton of bios". We make our own engagement with the site, yup.

@BombSwan Yay 20k! More than I wrote last month. Good for you!

@CosmicCoelacanth A story a day would be quite impressive!

I suire wouldn't wait for next Nano before starting a project. APRIL SO FAR AWAY.

@Velg Huzzah, a winner! Well done!

@chalcara I hit mine for December, more or less on a technicality, but hey. It's all good!

@SapphireElegy Welcome to the thread! Congrats on being near the end of your Nuzlocke story. Are you one of the people who starts to drag at the end of a big story, or do you pick up steam?

@paintminion I'm glad FR still has a good hold on you! And yay for finishing the second book. Keep up that obsession!

I used to play Rush's "Hold Your Fire" as my theme song during the first book I finished writing, because I figured I needed to be more obsessed with my writing if I was ever going to finish any thing.

@blaireau Oh wow, "Dragons Off to See the World" looks so fun!

Write the bios! We need more bios posted to this thread! I miss dragon bios.

@AlphaRaposa Woo, new short story! \o/

I kinda know what you mean about winter being a drag. It's not a huge struggle for me, but I hate not being able to bike after work and I hate the dark. Stop being dark, sky. SUN COME BACK I MISS YOU. Sigh.

@The13Inquisitor Welcome back to the thread! The two retail jobs I've ever had were way more exhausting than anything else I've done. And the pay was the lowest, too. :( Good luck! I hope you can get back to writing soon.

@NightwindDragon New month is a good time to get out of the rut?

@ManaStar Eeeeeee. That's a lot of handwriting! Is either Word or your Internet working again, or were you posting from a non-home place?

@Amut That is so cool, that you can do your sf project for thesis work! NEAT. Are you getting a master's in psychology, or a doctorate, or something else?

And grats on the good grades!

Butterfly/Poison has a very interesting look on Obversia! The spines works, though glimmer is too much. Although, to be honest, I like her best in basic. I am probably biased by my own progen being a maize Guardian girl that I never gened, though.

@VioletWhirlwind Keep at it! Eventually it'll be a finished book, even if it doesn't get done quickly.

@PocketTheSaurus Eeeeee finished book yes! So happy for you!

Now you get to edit it! Won't that be fun? :D

*pets the little rust girl* Awwww!

@purplpeanut Exam weeks are YUCK. I hope December goes better for you!

@CanisLupus03 Congrats on getting 30k out! I think I said so already (probably a bunch of times) but I'm like you. I don't find it easier to edit a terrible draft into a good one than it is to write a new book that works pretty well from the start. Yes, forcing myself to put something down and not worry about it being good is a better plan than not writing at all due to paralysis. But making it the default mode doesn't really work for me.

Obviously, it works for other people! And there are people who write both fast and clean, and that's cool too. Whatever works. I am well past the point of being concerned in finding the One True Way That Everyone Must Follow. :D

@SadariEvenstar Oh, Butterfly looks gorgeous on DesertRose! I love it.

That's terrible about your daughter's school. Yikes. I hope the evaluation helps you out.

@Hurricanesong Ooooh humans! I've heard of those. Neat! :)

@Dubal Grats on hitting your Nano goal! What's "Thanksgiving"'s blurb?

I hit my goal for November, which was "60 hours spent on editing/art/exercise". It turned out to be about 35 hours of editing, 15 of art, and 10 of exercise. I didn't finish editing "A Regular Hero" and I didn't finish the RA headers, but I am happy to have done hit the goal I set.

I celebrated by re-starting an old RPG I ran in 2012, and spent the last 3 days archive-binging on the original run. ZOMG YOU GUYS. WE WROTE SO MANY POSTS. And the players are all good writers, too! I hadn't realized how much good stuff was in there. And I'd forgotten SO MUCH. I hadn't intend to re-read EVERYTHING -- I was just "oh, I'll skim it here and there" but then I'd get caught up in the narrative read every word. I'd reach the end of a thread and think "I should take a break and do something else but I MUST KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT! *click*." And I was the GM! You'd think I'd remember.

It was funny. XD

Anyway, the official "we're gonna start playing again and everyone's agreed" was on Monday. I've written a few new posts since then and gotten one reply so far. I think the players have all dipped their toes into the archive and become daunted by all the things they don't remember too. I mean, there's probably 500,000+ words of original text in this thing. It is daunting. I was amazed that it captivated me right up to the end. I hope my players don't decide it's overwhelming and never start playing again. I was worried at first that I was spending too much time re-reading and it'd be wasted if we didn't really get to playing again. But now I'm all "nope, that time was not wasted, it was a blast to read it all again." :D I'm sorry there wasn't more to read and now I have to, y'know, actually WRITE IT again. And WAIT. For replies! Have you ever gone back to read one of your unfinished drafts and then gotten mad when you get to the last page because you didn't finish writing it? It's like that.

That aside, I am not going to get so caught up in butterflies that I do nothing else in December. I will finish edits on "A Regular Hero" and kick it out to beta-readers this month. Even if that means telling myself "you're not going to make this as perfect as you like: get it to beta readers and they can tell you want to fix". One way or another, it'll happen. Also, going to go through all the comments I get on "His Angel" and "Inconceivable" and incorporate any changes I want to make based on those. I think those two are in pretty good shape now, so that'll be quick.
@micahjaguar I am pretty sure I've quit FR except for the writer's chat. -_- I did buy a copy of Butterfly, though! And I am extra-amused by this because my players and I decided on Sunday to re-start an old play-by-email RPG I ran in 2012, in a system called "Terrible Butterflies". :D

And oh gosh, Lirope and Prince look so good the way they are now, given their accents. I don't think I could butterfly either one of them. @_@ Do you have any other candidates?

I have no idea who I'm going to use Butterfly on. It'd be nice if it looks good on somebody I don't already love as they are. I haven't even looked yet; I decided I wanted to get to the thread first.

@ShadesofCyan *giggles at the "ton of bios". We make our own engagement with the site, yup.

@BombSwan Yay 20k! More than I wrote last month. Good for you!

@CosmicCoelacanth A story a day would be quite impressive!

I suire wouldn't wait for next Nano before starting a project. APRIL SO FAR AWAY.

@Velg Huzzah, a winner! Well done!

@chalcara I hit mine for December, more or less on a technicality, but hey. It's all good!

@SapphireElegy Welcome to the thread! Congrats on being near the end of your Nuzlocke story. Are you one of the people who starts to drag at the end of a big story, or do you pick up steam?

@paintminion I'm glad FR still has a good hold on you! And yay for finishing the second book. Keep up that obsession!

I used to play Rush's "Hold Your Fire" as my theme song during the first book I finished writing, because I figured I needed to be more obsessed with my writing if I was ever going to finish any thing.

@blaireau Oh wow, "Dragons Off to See the World" looks so fun!

Write the bios! We need more bios posted to this thread! I miss dragon bios.

@AlphaRaposa Woo, new short story! \o/

I kinda know what you mean about winter being a drag. It's not a huge struggle for me, but I hate not being able to bike after work and I hate the dark. Stop being dark, sky. SUN COME BACK I MISS YOU. Sigh.

@The13Inquisitor Welcome back to the thread! The two retail jobs I've ever had were way more exhausting than anything else I've done. And the pay was the lowest, too. :( Good luck! I hope you can get back to writing soon.

@NightwindDragon New month is a good time to get out of the rut?

@ManaStar Eeeeeee. That's a lot of handwriting! Is either Word or your Internet working again, or were you posting from a non-home place?

@Amut That is so cool, that you can do your sf project for thesis work! NEAT. Are you getting a master's in psychology, or a doctorate, or something else?

And grats on the good grades!

Butterfly/Poison has a very interesting look on Obversia! The spines works, though glimmer is too much. Although, to be honest, I like her best in basic. I am probably biased by my own progen being a maize Guardian girl that I never gened, though.

@VioletWhirlwind Keep at it! Eventually it'll be a finished book, even if it doesn't get done quickly.

@PocketTheSaurus Eeeeee finished book yes! So happy for you!

Now you get to edit it! Won't that be fun? :D

*pets the little rust girl* Awwww!

@purplpeanut Exam weeks are YUCK. I hope December goes better for you!

@CanisLupus03 Congrats on getting 30k out! I think I said so already (probably a bunch of times) but I'm like you. I don't find it easier to edit a terrible draft into a good one than it is to write a new book that works pretty well from the start. Yes, forcing myself to put something down and not worry about it being good is a better plan than not writing at all due to paralysis. But making it the default mode doesn't really work for me.

Obviously, it works for other people! And there are people who write both fast and clean, and that's cool too. Whatever works. I am well past the point of being concerned in finding the One True Way That Everyone Must Follow. :D

@SadariEvenstar Oh, Butterfly looks gorgeous on DesertRose! I love it.

That's terrible about your daughter's school. Yikes. I hope the evaluation helps you out.

@Hurricanesong Ooooh humans! I've heard of those. Neat! :)

@Dubal Grats on hitting your Nano goal! What's "Thanksgiving"'s blurb?

I hit my goal for November, which was "60 hours spent on editing/art/exercise". It turned out to be about 35 hours of editing, 15 of art, and 10 of exercise. I didn't finish editing "A Regular Hero" and I didn't finish the RA headers, but I am happy to have done hit the goal I set.

I celebrated by re-starting an old RPG I ran in 2012, and spent the last 3 days archive-binging on the original run. ZOMG YOU GUYS. WE WROTE SO MANY POSTS. And the players are all good writers, too! I hadn't realized how much good stuff was in there. And I'd forgotten SO MUCH. I hadn't intend to re-read EVERYTHING -- I was just "oh, I'll skim it here and there" but then I'd get caught up in the narrative read every word. I'd reach the end of a thread and think "I should take a break and do something else but I MUST KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT! *click*." And I was the GM! You'd think I'd remember.

It was funny. XD

Anyway, the official "we're gonna start playing again and everyone's agreed" was on Monday. I've written a few new posts since then and gotten one reply so far. I think the players have all dipped their toes into the archive and become daunted by all the things they don't remember too. I mean, there's probably 500,000+ words of original text in this thing. It is daunting. I was amazed that it captivated me right up to the end. I hope my players don't decide it's overwhelming and never start playing again. I was worried at first that I was spending too much time re-reading and it'd be wasted if we didn't really get to playing again. But now I'm all "nope, that time was not wasted, it was a blast to read it all again." :D I'm sorry there wasn't more to read and now I have to, y'know, actually WRITE IT again. And WAIT. For replies! Have you ever gone back to read one of your unfinished drafts and then gotten mad when you get to the last page because you didn't finish writing it? It's like that.

That aside, I am not going to get so caught up in butterflies that I do nothing else in December. I will finish edits on "A Regular Hero" and kick it out to beta-readers this month. Even if that means telling myself "you're not going to make this as perfect as you like: get it to beta readers and they can tell you want to fix". One way or another, it'll happen. Also, going to go through all the comments I get on "His Angel" and "Inconceivable" and incorporate any changes I want to make based on those. I think those two are in pretty good shape now, so that'll be quick.
Author Website: LadyRowyn.com
@LadyRowyn
I got my internet back a week before nano ended so I updated then
@LadyRowyn
I got my internet back a week before nano ended so I updated then
I hoard fertility statues, any type of Raven/crow/Corvus bird, stagwings/perytons and above all else canopic jars and broken heartstones, if you have any extra please message me
@LadyRowyn

Yeah, but I tend to knock short story drafts out pretty fast. It's less daunting than writing a novel, and I can trust myself to pants short stories instead of doing that whole meticulous planning thing.

But yeah April is forever away which is why I'm starting Trilogy Hell Project as soon as I feel ready for it

And as soon as I've picked poor Main Project off the ground.
@LadyRowyn

Yeah, but I tend to knock short story drafts out pretty fast. It's less daunting than writing a novel, and I can trust myself to pants short stories instead of doing that whole meticulous planning thing.

But yeah April is forever away which is why I'm starting Trilogy Hell Project as soon as I feel ready for it

And as soon as I've picked poor Main Project off the ground.
13ee4657328d39e8dd08554c4b0bec370d00a6b7.png
@LadyRowyn
Thank you. I thought I would have had more time once I got settled in, but nope. I got in over my head fairly quickly. That's ok though, I can always try next year with a different idea, though i promised myself to try and finish this story before new years. I still enjoy it and I don't plan on dropping it.

Was your month busy too?
@LadyRowyn
Thank you. I thought I would have had more time once I got settled in, but nope. I got in over my head fairly quickly. That's ok though, I can always try next year with a different idea, though i promised myself to try and finish this story before new years. I still enjoy it and I don't plan on dropping it.

Was your month busy too?
marina_small_by_wesleart_by_bombswan-db2x2ss.png
@Dubal Hmm...maybe like 30k treasure? (Or equivalent gems, but I never know the exchange rate). I'm honestly pretty bad at pricing, but I saw some other triple rusts (with fancier genes) on the auction house for 40k the other day, so it seems right.

@Amut Haha, I know what you mean about Poison...I spent way too long scrying my dragons with various combinations of poison/toxin/butterfly today, and some of the poison colors are crazy! Then others are...kinda boring? It's very hit-or-miss. I now have several dragons I would love to give Butterfly to (if only I had the gems!) and a few who would actually look really good with Poison/Toxin (if only my alchemy level was high enough). Ah, well...I guess that's what goals are for.

@LadyRowyn Hooray for meeting your November goal! And yeah...revising is going to be fun. There are so many threads of plot that are really loosely connected right now, haha. But at least it has an ending at long last! I still can't completely believe it. I keep looking at the last chapter and thinking I need to change/add things, but it's actually a better chapter than some of the ones that come before it, so I'm making myself wait.
@Dubal Hmm...maybe like 30k treasure? (Or equivalent gems, but I never know the exchange rate). I'm honestly pretty bad at pricing, but I saw some other triple rusts (with fancier genes) on the auction house for 40k the other day, so it seems right.

@Amut Haha, I know what you mean about Poison...I spent way too long scrying my dragons with various combinations of poison/toxin/butterfly today, and some of the poison colors are crazy! Then others are...kinda boring? It's very hit-or-miss. I now have several dragons I would love to give Butterfly to (if only I had the gems!) and a few who would actually look really good with Poison/Toxin (if only my alchemy level was high enough). Ah, well...I guess that's what goals are for.

@LadyRowyn Hooray for meeting your November goal! And yeah...revising is going to be fun. There are so many threads of plot that are really loosely connected right now, haha. But at least it has an ending at long last! I still can't completely believe it. I keep looking at the last chapter and thinking I need to change/add things, but it's actually a better chapter than some of the ones that come before it, so I'm making myself wait.
5NpWyuc.png oq4SbhH.png 8qtlLxx.gif
@LadyRowyn Exactly. And I think I'm actually starting to approach the end. There's probably about 3 or 4 more chapters...to book one. Out of something that wants to be a trillogy (even though it fights me every step of the way). XD; I Must be insane. XD

In other news, I FINALLY got my progen leveled up! :D (and caught a coursefur yetti in the process(that was at the end of last month, but I don't think anybody saw it because of the new month's thread)).
@LadyRowyn Exactly. And I think I'm actually starting to approach the end. There's probably about 3 or 4 more chapters...to book one. Out of something that wants to be a trillogy (even though it fights me every step of the way). XD; I Must be insane. XD

In other news, I FINALLY got my progen leveled up! :D (and caught a coursefur yetti in the process(that was at the end of last month, but I don't think anybody saw it because of the new month's thread)).
NOTE: Dergs in my lair with scries are just ideas, & are subject to change/not final.
nZJa3n3.png
@LadyRowyn

Oh man, I have such a bad work ethic with everything, especially writing. I lose motivation easily so it's hard to get myself to write most of the time, especially when college is a thing and when I don't get very many comments because lol people don't like reading on the Nuzlocke forums. But that's why I've tried to stick to relatively short writing projects; makes it easier to stick it out to the end and finish it.

Congrats on reaching your goal for November! And whoa, all that catching up. It's definitely not time wasted if you enjoyed rereading it, though! Hopefully everyone else feels the same way about it and picks the thread back up.
@LadyRowyn

Oh man, I have such a bad work ethic with everything, especially writing. I lose motivation easily so it's hard to get myself to write most of the time, especially when college is a thing and when I don't get very many comments because lol people don't like reading on the Nuzlocke forums. But that's why I've tried to stick to relatively short writing projects; makes it easier to stick it out to the end and finish it.

Congrats on reaching your goal for November! And whoa, all that catching up. It's definitely not time wasted if you enjoyed rereading it, though! Hopefully everyone else feels the same way about it and picks the thread back up.
G1 Gene Projects
Wishlist
   Breed out the Basic
For Sale
   Banescale STP/Rainbow Challenge
@PocketTheSaurus sounds great!
@PocketTheSaurus sounds great!

I'm just a tiny watering can, nourishing my tiny plant friends
*Slowly peeks around corner* so...This is a writers chat? Is it just for certain people? I'm kind of a writer, but most of my friends don't write stories, so I can't talk about writing with them.
*Slowly peeks around corner* so...This is a writers chat? Is it just for certain people? I'm kind of a writer, but most of my friends don't write stories, so I can't talk about writing with them.
She/her -- +1 FR time --

On hiatus
LRdLP2V.pngXbjATWE.png
bYt72YT.pngMtGlogH.png
Hi everyone! Life is... interesting right now. My focus has been on Real Life Things rather than games or writing, so I've not been here much... my poor dragons are so neglected. -_-

I sort of did NaNoWriMo, and made it to 10,000 words on an existing project (I got it up past 55,000 words, a new first for me!) before I had to do other things. Also, I got stuck. And not knowing what your protagonists need to do next sort of puts the breaks on the words. I've been mulling it over mentally and picking away at it, letting the characters take the lead, getting around 300 words a day, when I could sit down and work on it...

But then yesterday morning, the climax just dumped into my brain. I was really just doing chores, thinking out a particular problem with the story, and BAM. The theme, the purpose of one of the major characters... (Who has just kind of been there, irritated about being involved... Now I know why he's involved. And why he's upset about it.)

This has never happened to me before and was strange and frustrating. I didn't have time to sit and write, so I just jotted the idea down so I could come back to it later. But this should get me through the slump and on the way to a finished manuscript. And the idea is so much bigger than I thought it was to begin with... I don't think my current writing level is quite equal to what this story really needs, but the only way to get it up to level is to write, so that's what I'm going to do.

@micahjaguar I've been... not coming to FR as much as I used to, either. I missed November's festival entirely, and I'm a little bummed I didn't get the festival gear and familiar... but I find I'm kind of shrugging my shoulders about it, because too much other stuff needs my attention.

I don't know who to tell you to put Butterfly on! I love Lirope's orange...! Maybe Prince? He looks pretty awesome either way, but it's funny how Butterfly matches his accent. ^_^

@Amut Wow, Obversaria is pretty amazing with Butterfly! And Poison does such interesting things...

@SadariEvenstar I'm so sorry you're struggling with your daughter's school! Being an advocate for your child can be exhausting, especially when the school refuses to make accommodations. It's tough! Having her evaluated will help; in the US, the school is REQUIRED by law to meet her needs if she qualifies for an Individual Education Plan. Good luck to you.

@LadyRowyn Good job reaching your November goal! ^_^ Do you find that tracking the hours you spend is more motivation than other measurements? It's hard for me to decide if I need to track my time or Finished Products. (I probably should do a combination of both, so that I know how much time goes into a Finished Object...)

@PocketTheSaurus Congrats on finishing your first draft!! (You've gotten farther than I have!)

And congrats to everyone who completed your NaNoWriMo! :) One of these days... when I'm not dealing with all the other stuff!

@ShardofSun Welcome, welcome! This thread is for ANYONE who is interested in writing! There are published authors here, serious writers with several manuscripts done, and writers like me... I've not ever finished anything long, but I have a dozen starts. I've written a couple short stories, but they're unpublished. I have a couple dozen poems that I haven't done anything with. I'm excited about writing, but I have to be a professional artist first because that's my job, so writing often takes a back seat for me. But I like talking about it!
Hi everyone! Life is... interesting right now. My focus has been on Real Life Things rather than games or writing, so I've not been here much... my poor dragons are so neglected. -_-

I sort of did NaNoWriMo, and made it to 10,000 words on an existing project (I got it up past 55,000 words, a new first for me!) before I had to do other things. Also, I got stuck. And not knowing what your protagonists need to do next sort of puts the breaks on the words. I've been mulling it over mentally and picking away at it, letting the characters take the lead, getting around 300 words a day, when I could sit down and work on it...

But then yesterday morning, the climax just dumped into my brain. I was really just doing chores, thinking out a particular problem with the story, and BAM. The theme, the purpose of one of the major characters... (Who has just kind of been there, irritated about being involved... Now I know why he's involved. And why he's upset about it.)

This has never happened to me before and was strange and frustrating. I didn't have time to sit and write, so I just jotted the idea down so I could come back to it later. But this should get me through the slump and on the way to a finished manuscript. And the idea is so much bigger than I thought it was to begin with... I don't think my current writing level is quite equal to what this story really needs, but the only way to get it up to level is to write, so that's what I'm going to do.

@micahjaguar I've been... not coming to FR as much as I used to, either. I missed November's festival entirely, and I'm a little bummed I didn't get the festival gear and familiar... but I find I'm kind of shrugging my shoulders about it, because too much other stuff needs my attention.

I don't know who to tell you to put Butterfly on! I love Lirope's orange...! Maybe Prince? He looks pretty awesome either way, but it's funny how Butterfly matches his accent. ^_^

@Amut Wow, Obversaria is pretty amazing with Butterfly! And Poison does such interesting things...

@SadariEvenstar I'm so sorry you're struggling with your daughter's school! Being an advocate for your child can be exhausting, especially when the school refuses to make accommodations. It's tough! Having her evaluated will help; in the US, the school is REQUIRED by law to meet her needs if she qualifies for an Individual Education Plan. Good luck to you.

@LadyRowyn Good job reaching your November goal! ^_^ Do you find that tracking the hours you spend is more motivation than other measurements? It's hard for me to decide if I need to track my time or Finished Products. (I probably should do a combination of both, so that I know how much time goes into a Finished Object...)

@PocketTheSaurus Congrats on finishing your first draft!! (You've gotten farther than I have!)

And congrats to everyone who completed your NaNoWriMo! :) One of these days... when I'm not dealing with all the other stuff!

@ShardofSun Welcome, welcome! This thread is for ANYONE who is interested in writing! There are published authors here, serious writers with several manuscripts done, and writers like me... I've not ever finished anything long, but I have a dozen starts. I've written a couple short stories, but they're unpublished. I have a couple dozen poems that I haven't done anything with. I'm excited about writing, but I have to be a professional artist first because that's my job, so writing often takes a back seat for me. But I like talking about it!
I'm an artist! I paint canvases and draw coloring pages! See my gallery: www.puffbird.net

Subscribe to my Patreon for monthly/weekly coloring pages, or just visit for the occasional freebies and monthly e-postcards!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11