Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Years of backlog
Hello,

I haven't been there for about 4 years. I'm at such a point in life that I feel like playing a little bit, but I am slightly overhelmed by novelities I've missed.

I particulary need some tips, what genes are currently most valued (it is a good investment to buy and breed).

I like 2 new breeds, Banescale and Veilsun, yet they don't seem to be very rare, right? Still, I'd want some, but what genes to look for to make this not an unwise enterprise is beyond my cognition :(

What is going on with modern/ancient genes?
What is this Silhouette Art Toggle?
How eyetype affect dragons worth?
How much may cost a dragon 'worth buiyng to breed'?
Which apparel is most desired (last I remember silks were trendy...)

I mean, I obviusly intend to go after my tastes BUT I'd also like not to go bankrupt immediately :D

I will be gratefull for both links to good (and preferably short) guides or just simple answers, because I really fell lost I don't know how to start again...
Hello,

I haven't been there for about 4 years. I'm at such a point in life that I feel like playing a little bit, but I am slightly overhelmed by novelities I've missed.

I particulary need some tips, what genes are currently most valued (it is a good investment to buy and breed).

I like 2 new breeds, Banescale and Veilsun, yet they don't seem to be very rare, right? Still, I'd want some, but what genes to look for to make this not an unwise enterprise is beyond my cognition :(

What is going on with modern/ancient genes?
What is this Silhouette Art Toggle?
How eyetype affect dragons worth?
How much may cost a dragon 'worth buiyng to breed'?
Which apparel is most desired (last I remember silks were trendy...)

I mean, I obviusly intend to go after my tastes BUT I'd also like not to go bankrupt immediately :D

I will be gratefull for both links to good (and preferably short) guides or just simple answers, because I really fell lost I don't know how to start again...
@Tempestris

Welcome back!

First off, check out Louretta's Guide. It organizes all the Announcements chronologically as well as by subject so you can read everything you missed or just skip around to what interests you.

As far as your particular questions:

1. Current "hot" genes are the coli drop Aberration genes and gem Aberration genes. HOWEVER you will likely not get your "investment" back by selling hatchlings for 4-12 months assuming people buy your hatchlings at above fodder costs.

2. If you want Banescales/Veilspuns to "invest" in you're out of luck. The playerbase hatches 20-24k dragons a day. Unless you figure out some magical combination of breed/gene/color making back what you paid to buy Veilspun breed changes will take months.

3. Modern genes do not equal Ancient genes. If you switch breeds from Modern/Ancient or Ancient/Modern ALL genes will revert to Basic. They are not interchangeable nor are equivalents available for all Moderns/Ancients.

4. Silhouette Scroll is a gem MP item that allows you to switch a dragon from one gender pose to another. It is purely cosmetic and once applied the scroll is consumed. It does not affect breeding but will allow you to use skins/accents for either gender (remove and click the toggle before applying a new skin/accent).

5. Natural eye rarity other than Primal and Multi-gaze have small if any effect on price. Unnatural eyes (only available from vials like Glowing, Innocent, Darkened) retain some but not as much as it costs to apply.

6. All dragons are worth breeding--exalt breeding is a very profitable area.

7. Outside of KS, Y1 and some of the newest Kelp Bed drops? It varies. Check the AH for specifics of what you have.

Data-Based Earning Guide

Maki's Coli Build Guide

Glimmer and Gloom Guides to max out the Fairgrounds in 15 minutes or so.

Finally, check out Find a Dragon for what people are looking for and Dragons for Sale for what people are currently selling. It's been a very, very long time since people could recoup the cost of "hot new gene" to dragons within a couple of nests. XXX's are fodder-priced unless G1 and the current meta is "matchy XYZ" so hitting the aesthetic market is even harder than it used to be.

On the plus side, making money has gotten much easier for just about every other aspect of the site.

Good luck out there!
@Tempestris

Welcome back!

First off, check out Louretta's Guide. It organizes all the Announcements chronologically as well as by subject so you can read everything you missed or just skip around to what interests you.

As far as your particular questions:

1. Current "hot" genes are the coli drop Aberration genes and gem Aberration genes. HOWEVER you will likely not get your "investment" back by selling hatchlings for 4-12 months assuming people buy your hatchlings at above fodder costs.

2. If you want Banescales/Veilspuns to "invest" in you're out of luck. The playerbase hatches 20-24k dragons a day. Unless you figure out some magical combination of breed/gene/color making back what you paid to buy Veilspun breed changes will take months.

3. Modern genes do not equal Ancient genes. If you switch breeds from Modern/Ancient or Ancient/Modern ALL genes will revert to Basic. They are not interchangeable nor are equivalents available for all Moderns/Ancients.

4. Silhouette Scroll is a gem MP item that allows you to switch a dragon from one gender pose to another. It is purely cosmetic and once applied the scroll is consumed. It does not affect breeding but will allow you to use skins/accents for either gender (remove and click the toggle before applying a new skin/accent).

5. Natural eye rarity other than Primal and Multi-gaze have small if any effect on price. Unnatural eyes (only available from vials like Glowing, Innocent, Darkened) retain some but not as much as it costs to apply.

6. All dragons are worth breeding--exalt breeding is a very profitable area.

7. Outside of KS, Y1 and some of the newest Kelp Bed drops? It varies. Check the AH for specifics of what you have.

Data-Based Earning Guide

Maki's Coli Build Guide

Glimmer and Gloom Guides to max out the Fairgrounds in 15 minutes or so.

Finally, check out Find a Dragon for what people are looking for and Dragons for Sale for what people are currently selling. It's been a very, very long time since people could recoup the cost of "hot new gene" to dragons within a couple of nests. XXX's are fodder-priced unless G1 and the current meta is "matchy XYZ" so hitting the aesthetic market is even harder than it used to be.

On the plus side, making money has gotten much easier for just about every other aspect of the site.

Good luck out there!
I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
@empestris Just like 4 years ago, buying dragons as an investment isn't a good idea (outside of low digits). There's a huge amount of dragons on the site and a limited amount of lair space to put them in so if you don't have something extra special you probably won't be able to sell it for more than the lowest auction house price.
Breed dragons that you like the look of for fun. If they sell then awesome, if not then they'll look pretty while being trained for exalting. Trying to breed for profit is frustrating most of the time.
Only freshly released genes have any extra value, and even that drops quickly because of the sheer amount of people breeding them. Beyond that it comes down to how pretty the dragon is and how well the genes work with the colours.

1. What do you mean what's going on with them?
Ancients are a way of releasing breeds faster. Modern breeds take a very, very long time to complete because of all the apparel that needs to be drawn for them. Ancients can't wear apparel and in exchange can be released much faster, have their own sets of genes and have unique line-breaking genes that wouldn't be possible for moderns.
Each ancient can only breed with the same type of dragon, Veilspun can only breed with Veilspun, Banescales can only breed with Banescales etc. This is because each ancient has it's own set of genes which might not exist on another type.

2. Silhouette Scroll allows you to switch between the male and female poses of a dragon at will. It doesn't change the sex of the dragon.

3. It doesn't, really. There are now vials for all eye types so users can change the eyes of their dragons whenever they want.
If a dragon looks amazing with a certain eye type it will be worth more, but having a certain eye type doesn't automatically add value.

4. There's no answer to that. A dragon is worth the price if you think it's worth the price. You could find the perfect one at 5k or 500k.
All dragons are worth it if for nothing but fodder breeding :D

5. Silks are still popular, as are starsilks flowerfalls and halos especially Luminous Halo
There's a lot more choice in apparel now so you'll be able to find something you like :D
The game database has all apparel on the site: https://www1.flightrising.com/game-database/items/apparel

The Chronological Update Reference thread should help you catch up on things you've missed.

And if you happen to have any dragons with 7 digits or less in their ID they might be worth money. You can find out more information here: https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/drs/1162110/1
@empestris Just like 4 years ago, buying dragons as an investment isn't a good idea (outside of low digits). There's a huge amount of dragons on the site and a limited amount of lair space to put them in so if you don't have something extra special you probably won't be able to sell it for more than the lowest auction house price.
Breed dragons that you like the look of for fun. If they sell then awesome, if not then they'll look pretty while being trained for exalting. Trying to breed for profit is frustrating most of the time.
Only freshly released genes have any extra value, and even that drops quickly because of the sheer amount of people breeding them. Beyond that it comes down to how pretty the dragon is and how well the genes work with the colours.

1. What do you mean what's going on with them?
Ancients are a way of releasing breeds faster. Modern breeds take a very, very long time to complete because of all the apparel that needs to be drawn for them. Ancients can't wear apparel and in exchange can be released much faster, have their own sets of genes and have unique line-breaking genes that wouldn't be possible for moderns.
Each ancient can only breed with the same type of dragon, Veilspun can only breed with Veilspun, Banescales can only breed with Banescales etc. This is because each ancient has it's own set of genes which might not exist on another type.

2. Silhouette Scroll allows you to switch between the male and female poses of a dragon at will. It doesn't change the sex of the dragon.

3. It doesn't, really. There are now vials for all eye types so users can change the eyes of their dragons whenever they want.
If a dragon looks amazing with a certain eye type it will be worth more, but having a certain eye type doesn't automatically add value.

4. There's no answer to that. A dragon is worth the price if you think it's worth the price. You could find the perfect one at 5k or 500k.
All dragons are worth it if for nothing but fodder breeding :D

5. Silks are still popular, as are starsilks flowerfalls and halos especially Luminous Halo
There's a lot more choice in apparel now so you'll be able to find something you like :D
The game database has all apparel on the site: https://www1.flightrising.com/game-database/items/apparel

The Chronological Update Reference thread should help you catch up on things you've missed.

And if you happen to have any dragons with 7 digits or less in their ID they might be worth money. You can find out more information here: https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/drs/1162110/1
cg2G1xD.gif
tumblr_inline_ngqv6bbPaQ1rvrguk.pngtumblr_inline_n1581tzliY1rvrguk.png
@Tempestris
welcome back! I see that I already got ninja'd a couple times but I've got a bit more to add about some of these points

I'd advise reading through the ancient dragon section of this post, since ancient breeds are very different from the modern ones, especially as far as gene/breeding restrictions go

aside from the apparel mentioned above, a lot of the more popular apparel I can think of (which is mostly still affordable) is semi transparent ones that offer more unique color/glow opportunities when there's multiple equipped at once. alternatively a lot of the floating apparel is still fairly popular
@Tempestris
welcome back! I see that I already got ninja'd a couple times but I've got a bit more to add about some of these points

I'd advise reading through the ancient dragon section of this post, since ancient breeds are very different from the modern ones, especially as far as gene/breeding restrictions go

aside from the apparel mentioned above, a lot of the more popular apparel I can think of (which is mostly still affordable) is semi transparent ones that offer more unique color/glow opportunities when there's multiple equipped at once. alternatively a lot of the floating apparel is still fairly popular
unknown.png
[quote name="Lonin" date="2022-04-17 08:20:37" ] Ancients are a way of releasing breeds faster. Modern breeds take a very, very long time to complete because of all the apparel that needs to be drawn for them. Ancients can't wear apparel and in exchange can be released much faster, have their own sets of genes and have unique line-breaking genes that wouldn't be possible for moderns. Each ancient can only breed with the same type of dragon, Veilspun can only breed with Veilspun, Banescales can only breed with Banescales etc. This is because each ancient has it's own set of genes which might not exist on another type. [/quote] Holy, that sounds pretty important AND complicated. Do you know some guide where I could find out, what genes can a breed have so I could understand it? Because it is so, that some genes are only for veilspun...?
Lonin wrote on 2022-04-17 08:20:37:

Holy, that sounds pretty important AND complicated. Do you know some guide where I could find out, what genes can a breed have so I could understand it? Because it is so, that some genes are only for veilspun...?
[quote name="SkyBlaze" date="2022-04-17 08:30:55" ] I'd advise reading through the ancient dragon section of this post, since ancient breeds are very different from the modern ones, especially as far as gene/breeding restrictions go [/quote] Thank you!
SkyBlaze wrote on 2022-04-17 08:30:55:

Thank you!
@Tempestris It's not as complicated as it sounds, all modern breeds can use all modern genes. All ancient genes are unique to that breed and will say what breed they can be used on in the name, so Primary Gaoler Gene: Fade is for Gaolers, Primary Veilspun Gene: Fade is for Veilspun.
The game database has lots of search features to help you find things. Searching for 'Veilspun' in the 'Specialty' section will show you all Veilspun genes: https://www1.flightrising.com/game-database/items/specialty?page=1&name=veilspun&description=&itemid=&display_type=&treasure_min=&treasure_max=&gem_min=&gem_max=&rarity=&color=&subcategory=&hoard_vault=&sort=name_asc&submit=Apply
@Tempestris It's not as complicated as it sounds, all modern breeds can use all modern genes. All ancient genes are unique to that breed and will say what breed they can be used on in the name, so Primary Gaoler Gene: Fade is for Gaolers, Primary Veilspun Gene: Fade is for Veilspun.
The game database has lots of search features to help you find things. Searching for 'Veilspun' in the 'Specialty' section will show you all Veilspun genes: https://www1.flightrising.com/game-database/items/specialty?page=1&name=veilspun&description=&itemid=&display_type=&treasure_min=&treasure_max=&gem_min=&gem_max=&rarity=&color=&subcategory=&hoard_vault=&sort=name_asc&submit=Apply
cg2G1xD.gif
@Lonin

I think I've managed to catch up a bit. I still wonder about few thing though.

1. Are there some genes people value more than others these days? Every from the gem market? Some from Baldwin?

2. What is relation between Wildclaws and ancient breeds selling worth? I mean, are Wildclaws significantly less valued since introduction of ancient breeds?

I know that it is hard to profit from breeding, yet I am just too lazy to coli, so whatever I could get above exalt prices for babies, counts :)

3. Is eye type of babies random? Are chances for every type same?

Sorry to ask you so directly, I will really appreciate if you bother to answer.

@Lonin

I think I've managed to catch up a bit. I still wonder about few thing though.

1. Are there some genes people value more than others these days? Every from the gem market? Some from Baldwin?

2. What is relation between Wildclaws and ancient breeds selling worth? I mean, are Wildclaws significantly less valued since introduction of ancient breeds?

I know that it is hard to profit from breeding, yet I am just too lazy to coli, so whatever I could get above exalt prices for babies, counts :)

3. Is eye type of babies random? Are chances for every type same?

Sorry to ask you so directly, I will really appreciate if you bother to answer.

@Tempestris
1. If a gene has just come out it'll sell for more because not many dragons will exist with it yet. Even then the price drops very quickly so you'll be lucky to make your money back on the first nest.
Beyond that no gene is more valuable than any other gene just because it's x gene. All genes are incredibly easy to breed and exist in huge quantities. What matters is how nice a dragon looks overall.

2. Wildclaws are worth the same as any other breed, that is anything from fodder price to hundreds of thousands. We're repeating ourself but it really does come down to how a dragon looks, how many people want that look and how many similar dragons already exist and not necessarily traits like breed or genes. A dragon isn't more valuable just because it's a Wildclaw.
Breeding dragons for more than fodder price is incredibly difficult and time-consuming so if you're too lazy to coli grind then we'd strongly advise against getting into breeding dragons for profit. Unless you plan to sell them as fodder which is very quick and easy :D
If you want to try anyway then check the 'Find a Dragon' and 'Dragons For Sale' forums to see what other users are looking for and selling to get an idea of current trends. Then you probably want to ignore all of that because it'll be overbred by the time you get a nice pair.
Instead look through all the colours and genes and find something that looks really nice and that no one else has thought of but that other people will want. Then try to find unrelated dragons with those colours (who possibly don't exist so you'll have to spend months and thousands breeding for them), spend more geneing them up and hope that other users want them and are willing to pay you what you think they're worth. Then do it over and over because every hatchling you sell from that pair is capable of producing an infinite number of clones and so gradually reduces the value of their future offspring. You'd have to be very lucky to make back the cost of what you spent on a breeding pair within a reasonable amount of time.
Breeding dragons outside of fodder should be something you do for fun rather than to try to make a profit. If you do that's awesome, if not at least you're still having fun :D

3. There are two types of eyes, natural and unnatural. Unnatural eyes only come from vials and can't be found through breeding. Natural eyes are random through breeding with some being rarer than others. They aren't passed on by parents. There are vials for all eye types.
You can see the chances of hatching each eye type here: https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2452488#post_2452488

And a guide to making treasure: https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2497014
You might be able to find another method that works for you :D
@Tempestris
1. If a gene has just come out it'll sell for more because not many dragons will exist with it yet. Even then the price drops very quickly so you'll be lucky to make your money back on the first nest.
Beyond that no gene is more valuable than any other gene just because it's x gene. All genes are incredibly easy to breed and exist in huge quantities. What matters is how nice a dragon looks overall.

2. Wildclaws are worth the same as any other breed, that is anything from fodder price to hundreds of thousands. We're repeating ourself but it really does come down to how a dragon looks, how many people want that look and how many similar dragons already exist and not necessarily traits like breed or genes. A dragon isn't more valuable just because it's a Wildclaw.
Breeding dragons for more than fodder price is incredibly difficult and time-consuming so if you're too lazy to coli grind then we'd strongly advise against getting into breeding dragons for profit. Unless you plan to sell them as fodder which is very quick and easy :D
If you want to try anyway then check the 'Find a Dragon' and 'Dragons For Sale' forums to see what other users are looking for and selling to get an idea of current trends. Then you probably want to ignore all of that because it'll be overbred by the time you get a nice pair.
Instead look through all the colours and genes and find something that looks really nice and that no one else has thought of but that other people will want. Then try to find unrelated dragons with those colours (who possibly don't exist so you'll have to spend months and thousands breeding for them), spend more geneing them up and hope that other users want them and are willing to pay you what you think they're worth. Then do it over and over because every hatchling you sell from that pair is capable of producing an infinite number of clones and so gradually reduces the value of their future offspring. You'd have to be very lucky to make back the cost of what you spent on a breeding pair within a reasonable amount of time.
Breeding dragons outside of fodder should be something you do for fun rather than to try to make a profit. If you do that's awesome, if not at least you're still having fun :D

3. There are two types of eyes, natural and unnatural. Unnatural eyes only come from vials and can't be found through breeding. Natural eyes are random through breeding with some being rarer than others. They aren't passed on by parents. There are vials for all eye types.
You can see the chances of hatching each eye type here: https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2452488#post_2452488

And a guide to making treasure: https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2497014
You might be able to find another method that works for you :D
cg2G1xD.gif