Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Tips for new Dragon Breeders?
1 2
Hullo!~ Is there any tips this community has for people like me trying to get in to breeding dragons? What are the big do's and don't's? Thank you![emoji=cat 1 size=1] Edit: All of you have been so kind! this is so, so useful! I really think I'm gonna get the hang of this!
Hullo!~
Is there any tips this community has for people like me trying to get in to breeding dragons? What are the big do's and don't's? Thank you!
Edit: All of you have been so kind! this is so, so useful! I really think I'm gonna get the hang of this!
Pardon meNh1gbqC.pngJust walkin through...
@WiltedWisp
Tips vary a lot depending on why you want to breed! Are you looking to sell dragons to other players? Are you looking to make as much money as possible? Or are you looking to breed to create a dragon for yourself?

The biggest universal “don’t” is buying a dragon to pair with another without checking if they’re related. Nothing hurts more then spending money, going to nest a pair, and realizing they can’t breed!
@WiltedWisp
Tips vary a lot depending on why you want to breed! Are you looking to sell dragons to other players? Are you looking to make as much money as possible? Or are you looking to breed to create a dragon for yourself?

The biggest universal “don’t” is buying a dragon to pair with another without checking if they’re related. Nothing hurts more then spending money, going to nest a pair, and realizing they can’t breed!
Wua5ROf.png
@hawkFeather
That's a really good point! I'm currently aiming towards creating interesting gene mixes to sell to other players! I hope to create beautiful dragons for others to enjoy! I currently have a good mix of genes in my dragons. Starmap, Paint, Ringlets, Jaguar, stripes, and other such genes are sorta floating around in my layer. What genes look best together in your experience? Thanks again for the help. <3
@hawkFeather
That's a really good point! I'm currently aiming towards creating interesting gene mixes to sell to other players! I hope to create beautiful dragons for others to enjoy! I currently have a good mix of genes in my dragons. Starmap, Paint, Ringlets, Jaguar, stripes, and other such genes are sorta floating around in my layer. What genes look best together in your experience? Thanks again for the help. <3
@WiltedWisp

Depends on why/what you're trying to breed for.

Want to breed a lot of dragons as fast as possible? Get plentiful-tier breeds (aka the four starter breeds) since they have the shortest cooldowns, and use two different breeds if you want a chance at a five egg nest.

Want to breed for a specific dragon that doesn't exist in the game yet? Focus on color first; genes and breeds can always be changed later. The only exception is Imperials- if your dream dragon's an Imp, you won't be able to obtain that breed change down the line.

Want to breed popular dragons that will sell like hotcakes? Good luck... you'll need it. That said, jumping on new genes and breeds as soon as they come out can help you make sales for a while at least. Everything becomes cheaper over time and IMO it's not worth it to clog up your lair with dragons you may not personally enjoy.

I'm on mobile right now or I'd leave a bunch of links here- if you look around in the Guides forum you'll find more information on how breeding works, there's a thread for gene/breed rarity comparisons and the official FR color wheel,as well as links to fansites and resources that can help you plan your projects.
@WiltedWisp

Depends on why/what you're trying to breed for.

Want to breed a lot of dragons as fast as possible? Get plentiful-tier breeds (aka the four starter breeds) since they have the shortest cooldowns, and use two different breeds if you want a chance at a five egg nest.

Want to breed for a specific dragon that doesn't exist in the game yet? Focus on color first; genes and breeds can always be changed later. The only exception is Imperials- if your dream dragon's an Imp, you won't be able to obtain that breed change down the line.

Want to breed popular dragons that will sell like hotcakes? Good luck... you'll need it. That said, jumping on new genes and breeds as soon as they come out can help you make sales for a while at least. Everything becomes cheaper over time and IMO it's not worth it to clog up your lair with dragons you may not personally enjoy.

I'm on mobile right now or I'd leave a bunch of links here- if you look around in the Guides forum you'll find more information on how breeding works, there's a thread for gene/breed rarity comparisons and the official FR color wheel,as well as links to fansites and resources that can help you plan your projects.
@WiltedWisp

Do breed dragons you like. They're going to be in your lair for up to a long time.

Do think about whether you want it to be a "job" or hobby. If you're doing it for the fun of running a hatchery, so you're spending for entertainment, go for it.

Don't expect your dragons to sell (easily or quickly). The market is loaded with dragons. Especially if you are breeding dragons that there are already hundreds of on the market or you're breeding dragons there are none of, someone either already can buy it or people aren't after that dragon. The exception is breeding towards something that people seem to want and creating your niche, but you're creating your own competition.

Don't expect to get returns on investment if you breed change, gene change, scatterscroll, or use some other dragon altering item. Those tools are expensive and dragons usually are not. This rule can be broken if you learn the market and take an educated risk.

Do take the time to make a sales thread. Make it easy to read, and put the information of dragon(s) that you're selling next to an image. People often will not click on links.

Do keep your thread active by bumping it.

Do advertise: In your forum signature, your profile, the info boxes of dragons you're selling, social media if you're in groups, your blog, etc.
@WiltedWisp

Do breed dragons you like. They're going to be in your lair for up to a long time.

Do think about whether you want it to be a "job" or hobby. If you're doing it for the fun of running a hatchery, so you're spending for entertainment, go for it.

Don't expect your dragons to sell (easily or quickly). The market is loaded with dragons. Especially if you are breeding dragons that there are already hundreds of on the market or you're breeding dragons there are none of, someone either already can buy it or people aren't after that dragon. The exception is breeding towards something that people seem to want and creating your niche, but you're creating your own competition.

Don't expect to get returns on investment if you breed change, gene change, scatterscroll, or use some other dragon altering item. Those tools are expensive and dragons usually are not. This rule can be broken if you learn the market and take an educated risk.

Do take the time to make a sales thread. Make it easy to read, and put the information of dragon(s) that you're selling next to an image. People often will not click on links.

Do keep your thread active by bumping it.

Do advertise: In your forum signature, your profile, the info boxes of dragons you're selling, social media if you're in groups, your blog, etc.
@Cynictis Thank you so much! I'll do my best to understand all of this. It's uh- a LOT. [emoji=coatl tongue size=1]
@Cynictis
Thank you so much! I'll do my best to understand all of this. It's uh- a LOT.
Hmm... i suggest expanding your lair to hold lots of dragons. And try staying away from more generic dragons. (Ex: XXX, Obsidian/Obsidian/Y)
Hmm... i suggest expanding your lair to hold lots of dragons. And try staying away from more generic dragons. (Ex: XXX, Obsidian/Obsidian/Y)
124.png
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifFR time + 1
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifThey/Them
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifDragon Hoarder
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifRightside is clickable →

arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifWishlist
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifODP Hatchery
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifLair Purge
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifUMs for sale
Also check what the offspring will look like in the Scrying Workshop. It can make a big difference on what will sell above fodder price and what won't.
Also check what the offspring will look like in the Scrying Workshop. It can make a big difference on what will sell above fodder price and what won't.
"You don't need a reason to help someone "
~Zidane Tribal
Knowing about rarities can be helpful. You have breed and gene rarity, and both affect the offspring of two dragons.

First you have breed rarity. If you pair a more common breed with a rarer one, the likelihood of getting offspring of that rare dragon is much slimmer. For example, pairing up a Guardian with a Coatl will almost always result in you getting a Guardian. Also you can see cooldowns in this page.

Then you have gene rarity (look under gene rarity & inheritance -> odds), which almost works the same way. One important thing to note is that rare genes are, as far as I know, only available in the gem market and can be very expensive. If you have plans to re-gene a dragon, make sure to check the price first.
Knowing about rarities can be helpful. You have breed and gene rarity, and both affect the offspring of two dragons.

First you have breed rarity. If you pair a more common breed with a rarer one, the likelihood of getting offspring of that rare dragon is much slimmer. For example, pairing up a Guardian with a Coatl will almost always result in you getting a Guardian. Also you can see cooldowns in this page.

Then you have gene rarity (look under gene rarity & inheritance -> odds), which almost works the same way. One important thing to note is that rare genes are, as far as I know, only available in the gem market and can be very expensive. If you have plans to re-gene a dragon, make sure to check the price first.
@WiltedWisp

Everyone's already given some good tips! Sorry if this is too much information, but I have okay luck selling dragons, so here are my suggestions.

It's a good idea to think about eye color and theming. This goes double since you're in Plague, because the red eyes are kind of divisive. I have good luck selling dragons with monochrome (white/black/grey), red, brown, or even sometimes green color schemes, or some combination of those colors. Anything else, and it's very hard to sell them, no matter how nice they look, just because the eyes clash.

If you want to breed other color schemes, you can always rent or borrow a nest from another player (there should be a big nest rental network or two in Find a Dragon where people advertise) for eyes that match better. I had a pair that made purplish dragons, and the difference in sales when I got them Shadow nests instead was night and day.

I also recommend reading up on breeding mechanics. Colors inherit as a range between the parents colors. I stick with fairly close colors for both parents, but another popular strategy is to have close colors in two colors and a really wide range in another, for enough variety to be interesting but enough consistency to have hatchlings that usually look good.

Genes and breeds, however have a sort of "tier" system. Here's a good guide on the rarity tiers. This can save you a bunch of money and time putting together a pair - you can have one parent with the genes and breed you want, and another with higher tier genes/breed that usually won't pass down.

Oh, and some genes and breeds (and colors) just aren't popular. Like, I have a pair that makes Bogsneaks, but they'd probably sell infinitely better if they were Skydancers instead. I don't care, I like Bogsneaks. At the end of the day, do what makes you happy, and you'll have already "won".
@WiltedWisp

Everyone's already given some good tips! Sorry if this is too much information, but I have okay luck selling dragons, so here are my suggestions.

It's a good idea to think about eye color and theming. This goes double since you're in Plague, because the red eyes are kind of divisive. I have good luck selling dragons with monochrome (white/black/grey), red, brown, or even sometimes green color schemes, or some combination of those colors. Anything else, and it's very hard to sell them, no matter how nice they look, just because the eyes clash.

If you want to breed other color schemes, you can always rent or borrow a nest from another player (there should be a big nest rental network or two in Find a Dragon where people advertise) for eyes that match better. I had a pair that made purplish dragons, and the difference in sales when I got them Shadow nests instead was night and day.

I also recommend reading up on breeding mechanics. Colors inherit as a range between the parents colors. I stick with fairly close colors for both parents, but another popular strategy is to have close colors in two colors and a really wide range in another, for enough variety to be interesting but enough consistency to have hatchlings that usually look good.

Genes and breeds, however have a sort of "tier" system. Here's a good guide on the rarity tiers. This can save you a bunch of money and time putting together a pair - you can have one parent with the genes and breed you want, and another with higher tier genes/breed that usually won't pass down.

Oh, and some genes and breeds (and colors) just aren't popular. Like, I have a pair that makes Bogsneaks, but they'd probably sell infinitely better if they were Skydancers instead. I don't care, I like Bogsneaks. At the end of the day, do what makes you happy, and you'll have already "won".
1 2