Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Tips for new Dragon Breeders?
1 2
I’ve been running a hatchery for about a year now, and I love it. I have a healthy mix of more generic breeding pairs and outlandish breeding pairs. On the whole, the more outlandish kiddos get snagged up first since they can’t be found anywhere else. Careful though, because too outlandish simply won’t sell. They still need to look nice
I’ve been running a hatchery for about a year now, and I love it. I have a healthy mix of more generic breeding pairs and outlandish breeding pairs. On the whole, the more outlandish kiddos get snagged up first since they can’t be found anywhere else. Careful though, because too outlandish simply won’t sell. They still need to look nice
arcane.png arcanef2.png xxxxxx xxxxxx tumblr_inline_nb1ke8JYzw1qg78ij.png tumblr_inline_ofoo1dQtUR1tfmvub_100.png
@kaseal The more information the merrier! Thank you so, so much! This answers a lot of my questions, actually! I'll keep these tips in mind! [emoji=heart size=1]
@kaseal
The more information the merrier! Thank you so, so much! This answers a lot of my questions, actually! I'll keep these tips in mind!
Pardon meNh1gbqC.pngJust walkin through...
@Ghostsez Got it! Interesting, but not insane. Good thing I took a class on color theory! [emoji=spiral laughing size=1]
@Ghostsez
Got it! Interesting, but not insane. Good thing I took a class on color theory!
[quote name="@WiltedWisp" date="2019-08-06 17:33:11" ] What genes look best together in your experience? [/quote] Looks like you've gotten a lot of great advice, so I'll mainly just respond to this for the moment =3 In my experience, LOOKS have a lot less to do with genes and a lot more to do with colors. Some gene combinations look fantastic with certain colors, but an absolute mess with others. It's a good idea to fiddle in the scrying workshop and try to put together a gene set that will look great on all possibilities for your pair. Eyes are also a huge factor in how much people will spend on a dragon. If you plan on charging a lot, the eyes absolutely have to match and look good with the rest of the dragon. That all said, some genes/breeds are by far more POPULAR than others. Skydancers, imps, coatls, and wildclaws are the big popular breeds. Right now wasp, starmap, bee, and constellation are very popular genes. There are even popular colors, and a lot of people tend to like doubles and triples. If you have something decent looking with these, odds are you'll be able to sell them eventually for more than fodder price. If you deviate from this, you have to have really found something unique and stunning. It's a bit of a gamble, and in that sense it's best to breed what makes you happy. I like inventing new beautiful XYZ combos using two-tone genes (like toxin for example) to match accent colors. If I find a really good one, those babies can sell for a LOT if people like them, because no one has seen anything like it before. But if I miss the mark and other people don't find them as pretty as I do, they won't sell at all because they have unpopular genes. On the flipside, if I breed something like wasp/bee/opal coatls, I can usually sell them for around 20 gems. I might not think they look great, but they're popular genes and there's usually someone out there who'll want them. Not always though. If you're breeding to sell you HAVE to be okay with exalting leftovers. Not all will go to a good home. So it's really up to you! You can breed somewhat generic but popular dragons for a steady income, or you can take a gamble on something really out there and see if people like it. Both are perfectly valid strategies, and it just depends on what you want to do. Me personally, I mainly breed for myself. I create a pair that I find pretty, and I breed them because I maybe want a third dragon like that but with special eyes. If people like and buy the other hatchlings, awesome! If they don't, no big deal, I get some exalting money. If you'd rather cater to the market and breed mainly with the intent to sell, you might be better off keeping most pairs a little more in line with things that are popular. Checking out the Find a Dragon forums can be a good way to see what sort of things people are actively looking for. Most importantly, have fun! Whatever that ends up meaning to you ^^ It's a game, so don't ever let it turn into a frustrating chore.
@WiltedWisp wrote on 2019-08-06 17:33:11:
What genes look best together in your experience?

Looks like you've gotten a lot of great advice, so I'll mainly just respond to this for the moment =3 In my experience, LOOKS have a lot less to do with genes and a lot more to do with colors. Some gene combinations look fantastic with certain colors, but an absolute mess with others. It's a good idea to fiddle in the scrying workshop and try to put together a gene set that will look great on all possibilities for your pair. Eyes are also a huge factor in how much people will spend on a dragon. If you plan on charging a lot, the eyes absolutely have to match and look good with the rest of the dragon.

That all said, some genes/breeds are by far more POPULAR than others. Skydancers, imps, coatls, and wildclaws are the big popular breeds. Right now wasp, starmap, bee, and constellation are very popular genes. There are even popular colors, and a lot of people tend to like doubles and triples. If you have something decent looking with these, odds are you'll be able to sell them eventually for more than fodder price. If you deviate from this, you have to have really found something unique and stunning.

It's a bit of a gamble, and in that sense it's best to breed what makes you happy. I like inventing new beautiful XYZ combos using two-tone genes (like toxin for example) to match accent colors. If I find a really good one, those babies can sell for a LOT if people like them, because no one has seen anything like it before. But if I miss the mark and other people don't find them as pretty as I do, they won't sell at all because they have unpopular genes. On the flipside, if I breed something like wasp/bee/opal coatls, I can usually sell them for around 20 gems. I might not think they look great, but they're popular genes and there's usually someone out there who'll want them. Not always though. If you're breeding to sell you HAVE to be okay with exalting leftovers. Not all will go to a good home.

So it's really up to you! You can breed somewhat generic but popular dragons for a steady income, or you can take a gamble on something really out there and see if people like it. Both are perfectly valid strategies, and it just depends on what you want to do. Me personally, I mainly breed for myself. I create a pair that I find pretty, and I breed them because I maybe want a third dragon like that but with special eyes. If people like and buy the other hatchlings, awesome! If they don't, no big deal, I get some exalting money. If you'd rather cater to the market and breed mainly with the intent to sell, you might be better off keeping most pairs a little more in line with things that are popular. Checking out the Find a Dragon forums can be a good way to see what sort of things people are actively looking for.

Most importantly, have fun! Whatever that ends up meaning to you ^^ It's a game, so don't ever let it turn into a frustrating chore.
Wua5ROf.png
@Hawkfeather
Thank you so, so much for taking the time to explain that! I think I'm really starting to understand thanks to you guys!
@Hawkfeather
Thank you so, so much for taking the time to explain that! I think I'm really starting to understand thanks to you guys!
@WiltedWisp Looks like you got what you were looking for already, but I've moved this to Help, so that it might be of use to others. Cheers!
@WiltedWisp Looks like you got what you were looking for already, but I've moved this to Help, so that it might be of use to others. Cheers!
jeGlfdJ.gif__ Volunteer Moderator: If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding moderation please feel free to use the Contact Us form. These submissions are viewed solely by the Flight Rising team, not the volunteer moderator group. (+0 FR Time)

@Peixes
That's a good idea. These talented breeders have really helped me, and i'm excited to know other will benefit too!
@Peixes
That's a good idea. These talented breeders have really helped me, and i'm excited to know other will benefit too!
1 2