Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Do I buy pokemon scarlet/violet or nah?
1 2
I've heard lots of jokes and frustration from pokemon fans, for uh, good reasons ..... [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/e669921e8fe3bdaea5ee8a6f14434b90/02c0efab46aa6e97-39/s1280x1920/5b40b75649608b47ae0b92e27add9de17d9a1c2c.jpg[/img] surely it should be fixed now though? Anyone knows if there's been a patch to make it at least playable?? Or do I just give up and play the older games
I've heard lots of jokes and frustration from pokemon fans, for uh, good reasons .....

5b40b75649608b47ae0b92e27add9de17d9a1c2c.jpg

surely it should be fixed now though? Anyone knows if there's been a patch to make it at least playable?? Or do I just give up and play the older games
csJrlej.png
3dokvee.png
comev47.png
QQYyU47.png
YUEtAn1.png
dEe2UrM.png
f5c0adf655eaaeb871411a368de8ed0ce8164fc9.png
Well, last I checked they haven't fixed any of the fps or lag issues and in fact, the dlc runs even worse.

But speaking for myself, I completed the whole game and genuinely enjoyed it. It's now my overall favorite pokemon game. If I hadn't read the news about the graphical issues I genuinely would not have been able to tell (except in one or two exception circumstances, like the first classroom scene) that the game runs poorly. It purely depends on your own tolerance for these sorts of things.
Well, last I checked they haven't fixed any of the fps or lag issues and in fact, the dlc runs even worse.

But speaking for myself, I completed the whole game and genuinely enjoyed it. It's now my overall favorite pokemon game. If I hadn't read the news about the graphical issues I genuinely would not have been able to tell (except in one or two exception circumstances, like the first classroom scene) that the game runs poorly. It purely depends on your own tolerance for these sorts of things.
2bf6nnX.pngmtHAEL4.pngaPfqvmf.pngmjtJ868.pngEIzJIWx.pngVHmdVcB.png8OcABDV.png R4RVavr.pngumLF6oK.gifqVw4IEL.pngGR4p3Uw.pngfqG5KmE.pngzfNtpTV.png

2674017.png2802457.png2804985.png2805970.png2806037.png
2806128.png2806314.png2806493.png2807548.png2807554.png
2807685.png2808480.png2808481.png2808485.png2808499.png
2808574.png2808764.png2808836.png2809949.png2812430.png
@DJGay to be honest I don't like seeing weird glitches/bugs happen in a massive company's game. But I did hear from some people it can be enjoyable despite the problems, so I think: I will borrow it from someone and see how it goes, then maybe I will buy it
@DJGay to be honest I don't like seeing weird glitches/bugs happen in a massive company's game. But I did hear from some people it can be enjoyable despite the problems, so I think: I will borrow it from someone and see how it goes, then maybe I will buy it
csJrlej.png
3dokvee.png
comev47.png
QQYyU47.png
YUEtAn1.png
dEe2UrM.png
that's a good option if you've got it!
that's a good option if you've got it!
2bf6nnX.pngmtHAEL4.pngaPfqvmf.pngmjtJ868.pngEIzJIWx.pngVHmdVcB.png8OcABDV.png R4RVavr.pngumLF6oK.gifqVw4IEL.pngGR4p3Uw.pngfqG5KmE.pngzfNtpTV.png

2674017.png2802457.png2804985.png2805970.png2806037.png
2806128.png2806314.png2806493.png2807548.png2807554.png
2807685.png2808480.png2808481.png2808485.png2808499.png
2808574.png2808764.png2808836.png2809949.png2812430.png
Honestly, apart from lag in the lake area and one weird visual glitch during the Elite four (which wasn't even a problem, just a model hanging out in the background), I didn't encounter any problems with the game, and that was on release, before all the patches.

I genuinely think that these are some of the better games, definitely top three generation, so yes, I'd personally recommend them, even with any possible glitches.

Alternatively, get Legends: Arceus. THAT is a good game.
Honestly, apart from lag in the lake area and one weird visual glitch during the Elite four (which wasn't even a problem, just a model hanging out in the background), I didn't encounter any problems with the game, and that was on release, before all the patches.

I genuinely think that these are some of the better games, definitely top three generation, so yes, I'd personally recommend them, even with any possible glitches.

*Looks at lair* Ah yes. Organised chaos.
KASr4bY.png
i enjoyed it but i wish they kept alot of the elements from legends Arceus. like letting your pokemon train with wild NPCs is good but it was so much fun in Arceus it was alot more interactive. if they could mix that with some of the stuff they used in scarlet and violent then like ayeeeee 10/10!! overall though, they need longer development times
i enjoyed it but i wish they kept alot of the elements from legends Arceus. like letting your pokemon train with wild NPCs is good but it was so much fun in Arceus it was alot more interactive. if they could mix that with some of the stuff they used in scarlet and violent then like ayeeeee 10/10!! overall though, they need longer development times

nvlVFtD.png

r2QANTY.png
[quote name="SheridanCharon" date="2024-03-09 09:08:49" ] Alternatively, get Legends: Arceus. THAT is a good game. [/quote] massive agree with this, its FANTASTIC also yeah most of the issues with scarvi are graphical; the biggest actual like. performance? is the lag in water areas. and there WAS a glitch in outbreak generation (I think for a while we didnt even know it was a glitch? or I didnt and im stupit) that was fixed, but from there the game works. honestly all the "scarvi sucks bad glitched game" talk is extremely overblown. im not defending gamefreak as a manufacturer bc I still think sword/shield is absolutely terrible and I dont even acknowledge bdsp, and I absolutely think scarvi has its issues--I just also think its a massive improvement over swosh and has put a lot of good energy into the series. it just has its flaws like any other game, and its expeditious; it takes risks and some paid off, some didnt. im not saying you are obligated to like it or have to be fine with the graphical errors and if graphical errors really bother you, genuinely, bad idea and not worth it, bc the terrain tends to flash a lot. but the actual gameplay is really tight and it overall performs fine except in those dreaded water areas. a lot of the older games actually have worse gameplay and performance tbh? not unova unova is perfect but all I mean is the memes are misleading and idk why we dogpiled on scarvi when we should still be doing that on sword/shield
SheridanCharon wrote on 2024-03-09 09:08:49:
massive agree with this, its FANTASTIC

also yeah most of the issues with scarvi are graphical; the biggest actual like. performance? is the lag in water areas. and there WAS a glitch in outbreak generation (I think for a while we didnt even know it was a glitch? or I didnt and im stupit) that was fixed, but from there the game works.

honestly all the "scarvi sucks bad glitched game" talk is extremely overblown. im not defending gamefreak as a manufacturer bc I still think sword/shield is absolutely terrible and I dont even acknowledge bdsp, and I absolutely think scarvi has its issues--I just also think its a massive improvement over swosh and has put a lot of good energy into the series. it just has its flaws like any other game, and its expeditious; it takes risks and some paid off, some didnt.

im not saying you are obligated to like it or have to be fine with the graphical errors and if graphical errors really bother you, genuinely, bad idea and not worth it, bc the terrain tends to flash a lot. but the actual gameplay is really tight and it overall performs fine except in those dreaded water areas. a lot of the older games actually have worse gameplay and performance tbh? not unova unova is perfect but all I mean is the memes are misleading and idk why we dogpiled on scarvi when we should still be doing that on sword/shield
KHUgIpL.gif sMnKARY.png fK5z2eq.gif
@RheoTastic I suppose people are just tired of a multimillion company rushing their workers, I too would expect a well made game with minimal issues from such a big company - like Nintendo does with their games which are made in an handful of years

However I wouldn't be surprised if people exaggerated the problems for jokes and laughs

Sword and shield villains in the dlc sure had some ridiculous hair but I did like the stadium gimmick
@RheoTastic I suppose people are just tired of a multimillion company rushing their workers, I too would expect a well made game with minimal issues from such a big company - like Nintendo does with their games which are made in an handful of years

However I wouldn't be surprised if people exaggerated the problems for jokes and laughs

Sword and shield villains in the dlc sure had some ridiculous hair but I did like the stadium gimmick
csJrlej.png
3dokvee.png
comev47.png
QQYyU47.png
YUEtAn1.png
dEe2UrM.png
[quote name="Gelo" date="2024-03-09 11:43:39" ] @/RheoTastic I suppose people are just tired of a multimillion company rushing their workers, I too would expect a well made game with minimal issues from such a big company - like Nintendo does with their games which are made in an handful of years However I wouldn't be surprised if people exaggerated the problems for jokes and laughs Sword and shield villains in the dlc sure had some ridiculous hair but I did like the stadium gimmick [/quote] yeah like, don't get me wrong I totally support being mad at gamefreak for when they do really do bad things (case in point im like. so mad they shiny locked the legends in the DLC. absolutely everyone should yell at them for that), and I think on some level when it came out people were expecting really bad things of the game and were just Tired of the runaround. I went in expecting to hate it and I was mad for a bit bc the graphics really arent the best (im still disappointed that they switched from the cel-shaded style in legends which was, better) and I was MAD at the TM feature bc sword/shield burned me extremely bad, but playing I was like actually you know what this game is fun actually. like the TM feature is actually cohesive to gameplay it meshes with the mechanics well and like, should we criticize the graphics? absolutely! and no more of this "crunch time" whatever, it is a RELIEF that Z-A is coming out later--though that said, I think a certain amount of PLA was produced out-of-house so idk if this reflects on gamefreak's work practices or not? but its also possible im misinformed about that/straight up remembered incorrectly. and also I think the whole national dex unavailability thing is a HUGE scam bc with the closure of bank in...whenever, you basically have to pay a fee to keep pokemon from the ds/3DS games alive. home does preserve pokemon that youve put in there if your subscription expires but since the base games on switch do not have all pokemon, you end up having to pay the subscription charge to have access to your own dang pokemon that are incapable of going into a game. and that is straight up evil. ive seen people say "nat dex limits is actually a good thing bc it keeps the competitive scene from being too monotonous" and that is hooey. it is just means to employ HOME based taxation. THATS my biggest problem with the pokemon complex right now and currently I see no like....indication that theyre going to stop so again I think we [i]should[/i] lampoon gamefreak just for the more heinous stuff like "pay us or your pokemon are jailed indefinitely"
Gelo wrote on 2024-03-09 11:43:39:
@/RheoTastic I suppose people are just tired of a multimillion company rushing their workers, I too would expect a well made game with minimal issues from such a big company - like Nintendo does with their games which are made in an handful of years

yeah like, don't get me wrong I totally support being mad at gamefreak for when they do really do bad things (case in point im like. so mad they shiny locked the legends in the DLC. absolutely everyone should yell at them for that), and I think on some level when it came out people were expecting really bad things of the game and were just Tired of the runaround. I went in expecting to hate it and I was mad for a bit bc the graphics really arent the best (im still disappointed that they switched from the cel-shaded style in legends which was, better) and I was MAD at the TM feature bc sword/shield burned me extremely bad, but playing I was like actually you know what this game is fun actually. like the TM feature is actually cohesive to gameplay it meshes with the mechanics well

and like, should we criticize the graphics? absolutely! and no more of this "crunch time" whatever, it is a RELIEF that Z-A is coming out later--though that said, I think a certain amount of PLA was produced out-of-house so idk if this reflects on gamefreak's work practices or not? but its also possible im misinformed about that/straight up remembered incorrectly.

and also I think the whole national dex unavailability thing is a HUGE scam bc with the closure of bank in...whenever, you basically have to pay a fee to keep pokemon from the ds/3DS games alive. home does preserve pokemon that youve put in there if your subscription expires but since the base games on switch do not have all pokemon, you end up having to pay the subscription charge to have access to your own dang pokemon that are incapable of going into a game. and that is straight up evil. ive seen people say "nat dex limits is actually a good thing bc it keeps the competitive scene from being too monotonous" and that is hooey. it is just means to employ HOME based taxation. THATS my biggest problem with the pokemon complex right now and currently I see no like....indication that theyre going to stop so again I think we should lampoon gamefreak just for the more heinous stuff like "pay us or your pokemon are jailed indefinitely"
KHUgIpL.gif sMnKARY.png fK5z2eq.gif
[quote name="RheoTastic" date="2024-03-09 12:30:57" ] and also I think the whole national dex unavailability thing is a HUGE scam bc with the closure of bank in...whenever, you basically have to pay a fee to keep pokemon from the ds/3DS games alive. home does preserve pokemon that youve put in there if your subscription expires but since the base games on switch do not have all pokemon, you end up having to pay the subscription charge to have access to your own dang pokemon that are incapable of going into a game. and that is straight up evil. ive seen people say "nat dex limits is actually a good thing bc it keeps the competitive scene from being too monotonous" and that is hooey. it is just means to employ HOME based taxation. THATS my biggest problem with the pokemon complex right now and currently I see no like....indication that theyre going to stop so again I think we [i]should[/i] lampoon gamefreak just for the more heinous stuff like "pay us or your pokemon are jailed indefinitely" [/quote] This is actually the biggest reason I've dropped playing Pokemon, although the graphics aren't the best I could've dealt with them had they not done this. In Sun and Moon I had a full Nat Dex which had taken me 10 years to complete and I was really heartbroken when I learned I couldn't move them into the newer generation without paying the hefty fee of $20 USD a year just to keep them alive. As an adult now that's simply too expensive for me to feasibly pay and I decided that since these games are visibly very unpolished and I couldn't keep my babies they weren't worth my money. At some point soon I'm considering making a post to help trade off some of my old Pokemon that I have stored in bank on my 3ds before the servers are shut down. I'd rather have someone give them loving homes than have them be deleted off the face of the earth. Makes me quite sad. Anyway from my personal experience I think you should definitely borrow the game or buy it at a discounted price (used because Pokémon games never seem to go on sale) if you're really on the fence about it. It will help you save money if you end up disliking it because I've heard this game is quite controversial, I have friends who love it and I have others who hated it so much they couldn't complete it. I would also hold off on DLC entirely until you get a good idea on if you like the game or not, it would really suck if you bought the game and DLC at full price and then ended up hating the game. That's the best advice I can give though because I haven't played the games and my opinions on them would probably be unfair to it.
RheoTastic wrote on 2024-03-09 12:30:57:
and also I think the whole national dex unavailability thing is a HUGE scam bc with the closure of bank in...whenever, you basically have to pay a fee to keep pokemon from the ds/3DS games alive. home does preserve pokemon that youve put in there if your subscription expires but since the base games on switch do not have all pokemon, you end up having to pay the subscription charge to have access to your own dang pokemon that are incapable of going into a game. and that is straight up evil. ive seen people say "nat dex limits is actually a good thing bc it keeps the competitive scene from being too monotonous" and that is hooey. it is just means to employ HOME based taxation. THATS my biggest problem with the pokemon complex right now and currently I see no like....indication that theyre going to stop so again I think we should lampoon gamefreak just for the more heinous stuff like "pay us or your pokemon are jailed indefinitely"

This is actually the biggest reason I've dropped playing Pokemon, although the graphics aren't the best I could've dealt with them had they not done this. In Sun and Moon I had a full Nat Dex which had taken me 10 years to complete and I was really heartbroken when I learned I couldn't move them into the newer generation without paying the hefty fee of $20 USD a year just to keep them alive. As an adult now that's simply too expensive for me to feasibly pay and I decided that since these games are visibly very unpolished and I couldn't keep my babies they weren't worth my money. At some point soon I'm considering making a post to help trade off some of my old Pokemon that I have stored in bank on my 3ds before the servers are shut down. I'd rather have someone give them loving homes than have them be deleted off the face of the earth. Makes me quite sad.

Anyway from my personal experience I think you should definitely borrow the game or buy it at a discounted price (used because Pokémon games never seem to go on sale) if you're really on the fence about it. It will help you save money if you end up disliking it because I've heard this game is quite controversial, I have friends who love it and I have others who hated it so much they couldn't complete it. I would also hold off on DLC entirely until you get a good idea on if you like the game or not, it would really suck if you bought the game and DLC at full price and then ended up hating the game. That's the best advice I can give though because I haven't played the games and my opinions on them would probably be unfair to it.
She/Her 24
Big Dragon Nerd
I only ever get obsessed with media that's at least 10 years old for some reason.
Artist and Writer
1 2