Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | how did u learn to draw?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Spite.

No joke. Some kids online told me my art sucks, so I just started teaching myself how to draw. Make every piece better than the last. Find some aspect to improve on.
Spite.

No joke. Some kids online told me my art sucks, so I just started teaching myself how to draw. Make every piece better than the last. Find some aspect to improve on.
?5rQx0=party.png?5rQLw=party.png?5rQpW=party.png?5rQpW=party.png?5rQY0=party.png
IMPORTANT:

drawing a straight line: use 3 reference points instead of two - usually you go top and bottom of where the line is going to be to measure your points, but if you want to ensure accuracy, you should also measure a point out to the middle of your line too. (this is when you measure from the edge of the paper or from another line on the page to make parallel strokes w/ perpendicular measurements)

doodle circles and lines all the time. training the fine muscles of your hand to make the shapes you're picturing is all you're doing. training fine motor skills. takes hella time. be patient! love yourself and your work even when it's young and formless.

edit: @404UserNotFound is totally right. Spite is a powerful motivator.
IMPORTANT:

drawing a straight line: use 3 reference points instead of two - usually you go top and bottom of where the line is going to be to measure your points, but if you want to ensure accuracy, you should also measure a point out to the middle of your line too. (this is when you measure from the edge of the paper or from another line on the page to make parallel strokes w/ perpendicular measurements)

doodle circles and lines all the time. training the fine muscles of your hand to make the shapes you're picturing is all you're doing. training fine motor skills. takes hella time. be patient! love yourself and your work even when it's young and formless.

edit: @404UserNotFound is totally right. Spite is a powerful motivator.
65KYIms.gif XtBz9fJ.png
tbh i just copied what i liked at the time. whenever an artist i liked posted a speedpaint i watched it and copied their methods. for better or worse, i learned how to study art but took the mistakes with me [which is good! make mistakes!]
tbh i just copied what i liked at the time. whenever an artist i liked posted a speedpaint i watched it and copied their methods. for better or worse, i learned how to study art but took the mistakes with me [which is good! make mistakes!]
ezgif-5-d59d01f068.gif
Debbie / Nova
18 - Non-Binary - Any Pronouns
Art Shop | Wishlist
2kdMs.gifUgAP0.gifyv2d9.gifJ2yrF.gifA6sar.gif
I been drawing since elementary school, but for years all I would draw is dragons and animals. It wasn’t till I was in high school that I started branching out into other things.
I been drawing since elementary school, but for years all I would draw is dragons and animals. It wasn’t till I was in high school that I started branching out into other things.
rSJg2ds.jpgezykfzF.jpg
honestly I learned from heavily watching art vids from sinix & marco bucci. i used to start off by drawing animeljam wolves & rats and eventually really wanted to be more of a character artist. it took me acouple years but ive passively been learning (im not very artistically passionate) just through keeping art within my daily life by following artists
honestly I learned from heavily watching art vids from sinix & marco bucci. i used to start off by drawing animeljam wolves & rats and eventually really wanted to be more of a character artist. it took me acouple years but ive passively been learning (im not very artistically passionate) just through keeping art within my daily life by following artists
cat.gif
gareth/gare

he/him
star.gif
482869af-1b13-4689-9d00-b3ef21fe24a8.png 1vAtYxM.png
QRVupBA.png
image0_1.png
fkWjutW.png
f2u_rainbow_by_kinutanuki_dd7ymkd.png
3f47f002-12de-4cd6-971a-dbb862dca1eb.png
aQSXl7L.png
image0.pngimage0.png
fG95oEO.png
draw.gif
to be honest, I just..... kept drawing. My best advice is to draw from reference as often as possible, it helps you understand how things in life work, I really think that learning a realistic "style" first before going more stylized is the best because then you have a better grasp on how those things like human bodies, buildings, landscapes, etc look in real life so they are easier to translate into a certain style.

The more you draw, the more you learn to hone your "artist's eye" which is just your ability to look at what you're seeing and be able to copy that onto your medium, which then translates to your ability to take images from your mind and transfer those. It's important to draw what you SEE, not what you think you see. My uncle, a professional artist, who I sadly did not get to know until much later in my artistic journey, told me that a lot and I didn't understand it at first but it basically means that when you're observing your reference, you will often alter things in your drawing that you don't even notice you're doing. You might go "well, I think that tree should actually be this long" or "I don't think his leg looks that thick, I'll make it more narrow" but it's important to try to copy it as closely as you actually see it, because that really helps you be as accurate as possible. It might look bad or you're not satisfied, but it's seriously helpful in the long run. It's like training your artistic skills!

I am by no means a professional, so take everything I say with a grain of salt because it's all just my opinion and my personal experience!
to be honest, I just..... kept drawing. My best advice is to draw from reference as often as possible, it helps you understand how things in life work, I really think that learning a realistic "style" first before going more stylized is the best because then you have a better grasp on how those things like human bodies, buildings, landscapes, etc look in real life so they are easier to translate into a certain style.

The more you draw, the more you learn to hone your "artist's eye" which is just your ability to look at what you're seeing and be able to copy that onto your medium, which then translates to your ability to take images from your mind and transfer those. It's important to draw what you SEE, not what you think you see. My uncle, a professional artist, who I sadly did not get to know until much later in my artistic journey, told me that a lot and I didn't understand it at first but it basically means that when you're observing your reference, you will often alter things in your drawing that you don't even notice you're doing. You might go "well, I think that tree should actually be this long" or "I don't think his leg looks that thick, I'll make it more narrow" but it's important to try to copy it as closely as you actually see it, because that really helps you be as accurate as possible. It might look bad or you're not satisfied, but it's seriously helpful in the long run. It's like training your artistic skills!

I am by no means a professional, so take everything I say with a grain of salt because it's all just my opinion and my personal experience!
I was self taught mostly. A lot of doodling in notebooks and on homework in elementary/middle school. I took some art classes in high school, which helped my access to large watercolor paper and become familiar with other materials/media. Then in college I took a studio drawing class for fun (I wanted to take watercolor painting but it had prerequisites that I didn't have time for as a vet sci major). In grad school I took scientific illustration which was really fun, but also frustrating at times because perfect accuracy of the subject was the goal.

I have enough muscle memory to pick up drawing again when I get inspiration/motivation, but I don't draw nearly enough to be actively improving my skills right now.
I was self taught mostly. A lot of doodling in notebooks and on homework in elementary/middle school. I took some art classes in high school, which helped my access to large watercolor paper and become familiar with other materials/media. Then in college I took a studio drawing class for fun (I wanted to take watercolor painting but it had prerequisites that I didn't have time for as a vet sci major). In grad school I took scientific illustration which was really fun, but also frustrating at times because perfect accuracy of the subject was the goal.

I have enough muscle memory to pick up drawing again when I get inspiration/motivation, but I don't draw nearly enough to be actively improving my skills right now.
tumblr_nsl2ezQmvD1slad33o1_250.png
well i learned to draw by teaching myself, i taught myself by trying to imitate people's art styles and copy their art, you could try that too just don't claim it as your work [emoji=coatl winking size=1]
well i learned to draw by teaching myself, i taught myself by trying to imitate people's art styles and copy their art, you could try that too just don't claim it as your work
xpxalNl.gifarcanefull.png2021-09-15-0i1-Kleki.png
although i have somehow gotten worse with horses, so far mine has just been taking "oo i like that" from random styles and figuring out how to do it ok!

I have a sketchbook i finished early this year and my art is so much better already!

just wait a bit and it will start speeing up in quality you just wont realise it for a while. remember to look at old drawings and see how youve changed as well
although i have somehow gotten worse with horses, so far mine has just been taking "oo i like that" from random styles and figuring out how to do it ok!

I have a sketchbook i finished early this year and my art is so much better already!

just wait a bit and it will start speeing up in quality you just wont realise it for a while. remember to look at old drawings and see how youve changed as well
Hi! I'm Jack (fr +3)
I've always drawn since I was little because back then I had no sense of self-consciousness. I mostly drew cats.

In my freshman year (first year of high school if you're not American) I decided I really wanted to be able to draw people. Cartoon people. And that was such a huge change from attempting to draw realistic/semi-realistic animals.

Basically, its been a mix of watching artists that inspire me (like Ross Draws, today's Bob Ross) and just. Trying. I really really wanted (and still want) that skill so I've been going for it as hard as I can these past few years and its starting to pay off :)
I've always drawn since I was little because back then I had no sense of self-consciousness. I mostly drew cats.

In my freshman year (first year of high school if you're not American) I decided I really wanted to be able to draw people. Cartoon people. And that was such a huge change from attempting to draw realistic/semi-realistic animals.

Basically, its been a mix of watching artists that inspire me (like Ross Draws, today's Bob Ross) and just. Trying. I really really wanted (and still want) that skill so I've been going for it as hard as I can these past few years and its starting to pay off :)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7