Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | NaNoWriMo 2021
1 2 3 4 5 6
I planned to write two novellas, or a novelette and a novella, this year. But I'm nearing the end of the novelette and I still have no idea what I'm writing after that! I have a few possibilities in mind but none of them are really grabbing me.

I have considered doing an FR lorelocke as part of NaNo, but I really want to do original stuff. I guess I could do ... an original lorelocke? Interesting idea, actually. Maybe I'll think more about it.
I planned to write two novellas, or a novelette and a novella, this year. But I'm nearing the end of the novelette and I still have no idea what I'm writing after that! I have a few possibilities in mind but none of them are really grabbing me.

I have considered doing an FR lorelocke as part of NaNo, but I really want to do original stuff. I guess I could do ... an original lorelocke? Interesting idea, actually. Maybe I'll think more about it.
@Lukra

What is a lorelocke?
@Lukra

What is a lorelocke?
b6f3d4ea76e68d8090de5809afe1f0105cf2c98e.pngoYfCraJ.png0HxJjfZ.gif TAzcwMk.gif
@SocklessWonder

It's a challenge where you determine the ongoing plot of a lore story by rolling a die (or drawing a tarot card, in the case of my current, mostly abandoned lorelocke). The "locke" portion of the name actually comes from "Pinkerlocke," a similar challenge where you determine whether you will write, draw, add a dragon, lose a dragon, etc. according to what Pinkerton gives you each day. And "Pinkerlocke" is derived from "Nuzlocke," the challenge to defeat a Pokemon game with a limited number of Pokemon while releasing every Pokemon that faints in battle.

Some explanatory links:
- my (abandoned) lorelocke
- lorelocke topic
- my oooold Pinkerlocke

I can't find the link for the topic with the ""official"" Pinkerlocke rules, unfortunately, but people usually adapt them to their needs anyway.
@SocklessWonder

It's a challenge where you determine the ongoing plot of a lore story by rolling a die (or drawing a tarot card, in the case of my current, mostly abandoned lorelocke). The "locke" portion of the name actually comes from "Pinkerlocke," a similar challenge where you determine whether you will write, draw, add a dragon, lose a dragon, etc. according to what Pinkerton gives you each day. And "Pinkerlocke" is derived from "Nuzlocke," the challenge to defeat a Pokemon game with a limited number of Pokemon while releasing every Pokemon that faints in battle.

Some explanatory links:
- my (abandoned) lorelocke
- lorelocke topic
- my oooold Pinkerlocke

I can't find the link for the topic with the ""official"" Pinkerlocke rules, unfortunately, but people usually adapt them to their needs anyway.
@Lukra

Thank you for the info!

I think it's probably too complex for me, but it is interesting!
@Lukra

Thank you for the info!

I think it's probably too complex for me, but it is interesting!
So uhm. 3k out of 20k expected total for the 12th. This is my first attempt and I am not doing so well.

My story is a fantasy story about a rather serious (and I never write no-nonsense characters) character who'se survival class gets eaten by Generic Black Cloud Monster and goes back to their castle town to find that everyone the cloudmonster found had eaten, and so goes on a quest with their dad(who avoided the cloud by having to take a really long dump in a bathroom without any windows) to find out what was the cause of the cloud monster and how they can stop it.

Because not enough stories have parents and kids questing together.

Also. I have no idea where to go with it.
So uhm. 3k out of 20k expected total for the 12th. This is my first attempt and I am not doing so well.

My story is a fantasy story about a rather serious (and I never write no-nonsense characters) character who'se survival class gets eaten by Generic Black Cloud Monster and goes back to their castle town to find that everyone the cloudmonster found had eaten, and so goes on a quest with their dad(who avoided the cloud by having to take a really long dump in a bathroom without any windows) to find out what was the cause of the cloud monster and how they can stop it.

Because not enough stories have parents and kids questing together.

Also. I have no idea where to go with it.
>Carvaiine (They/them)
>Signature is a mess, will maybe fix someday
>if I forgot about your commission, please just poke me. I get distracted easily.
@Carvaiine

I stopped for a couple of days, thinking I didn't know where I was going with my story. Then I decided that, even if I didn't know what I was doing, I would write whatever even came slightly close to what I wanted and told my brain to shut up...that I would sort it all out later.

I did nearly 1,700 words today and I'm not sure how much of it I'll keep! But I did it.

Keep pushing the words out, no matter how unlike the story/characters they are. Editing isn't what you're doing right now, so try not to think about the end product.

And even if your numbers don't drastically improve, you're still doing it!

I hope I didn't give you advice you didn't want. If so, please feel free to ignore me!
@Carvaiine

I stopped for a couple of days, thinking I didn't know where I was going with my story. Then I decided that, even if I didn't know what I was doing, I would write whatever even came slightly close to what I wanted and told my brain to shut up...that I would sort it all out later.

I did nearly 1,700 words today and I'm not sure how much of it I'll keep! But I did it.

Keep pushing the words out, no matter how unlike the story/characters they are. Editing isn't what you're doing right now, so try not to think about the end product.

And even if your numbers don't drastically improve, you're still doing it!

I hope I didn't give you advice you didn't want. If so, please feel free to ignore me!
Advice is always welcome in my eyes, thank you!
Advice is always welcome in my eyes, thank you!
>Carvaiine (They/them)
>Signature is a mess, will maybe fix someday
>if I forgot about your commission, please just poke me. I get distracted easily.
Oh my gosh, I found my people in here! I'm miles behind on my novel, only at about 5k words today. Wanting to do some writing but not knowing my plot is so confusing... should have planned it out ahead of time. [emoji=fae confused size=1]
Oh my gosh, I found my people in here! I'm miles behind on my novel, only at about 5k words today. Wanting to do some writing but not knowing my plot is so confusing... should have planned it out ahead of time.
+3 FR time, forum frequenter, always up for a chat!
@Lesivel

It may seem late, but you could jot down a basic outline and then go from there.

I'm working on a pretty rough outline and it's helped a lot in keeping me on track. I don't always follow it as I wrote it, but it keeps me working.

And always keep in mind that you have 5k words and that's something!

Keep going - I'm rooting for you!
@Lesivel

It may seem late, but you could jot down a basic outline and then go from there.

I'm working on a pretty rough outline and it's helped a lot in keeping me on track. I don't always follow it as I wrote it, but it keeps me working.

And always keep in mind that you have 5k words and that's something!

Keep going - I'm rooting for you!
@Lesival

I also have no plot whatsoever this year, at least for my second project. (First one is wrapping up in fewer than 20k words, as I expected; I'm actually surprised it lasted this long.)

What I've decided to do is draw tarot cards and write scenes based on my draws that will, I hope, eventually link up into an overarching story. Each of the major arcana will be a main character, and I may keep a second deck just of those cards that I can draw from to determine which characters appear in the scenes.

It's a little weird to do such a randomized story -- plus, while I often have trouble with plots, I've never started a story with absolutely no idea who the characters are or what they're doing. But it's been interesting so far.

Now I'm not telling you that you should do the same thing, especially if you already have a project you're working on, but something like a tarot draw or a prompt generator could help you get moving if you don't know where your plot is going.
@Lesival

I also have no plot whatsoever this year, at least for my second project. (First one is wrapping up in fewer than 20k words, as I expected; I'm actually surprised it lasted this long.)

What I've decided to do is draw tarot cards and write scenes based on my draws that will, I hope, eventually link up into an overarching story. Each of the major arcana will be a main character, and I may keep a second deck just of those cards that I can draw from to determine which characters appear in the scenes.

It's a little weird to do such a randomized story -- plus, while I often have trouble with plots, I've never started a story with absolutely no idea who the characters are or what they're doing. But it's been interesting so far.

Now I'm not telling you that you should do the same thing, especially if you already have a project you're working on, but something like a tarot draw or a prompt generator could help you get moving if you don't know where your plot is going.
1 2 3 4 5 6