Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Speculative evolution, anyone?
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 61 62
[quote name="sunnySerina" date="2021-01-27 21:07:23" ] [quote name="Xionahri" date="2021-01-27 21:06:00" ] Look at what I got. [quote]A descendant of the dust mite is now an ambush predator in boreal forest regions. Sexual selection is determined by fighting.[/quote] Oh nononononoNO. I thought I might be safe from those beasts in a forest. Ah, spring and summer would be hell. Got both a dust allergy and mild hayfever. Damnit. Please don't evolve that direction, will you? [/quote] Don’t worry, maybe it’s only an ambush predator of other tiny invertebrates. [/quote] and this, kids, is how we got headcrabs
sunnySerina wrote on 2021-01-27 21:07:23:
Xionahri wrote on 2021-01-27 21:06:00:
Look at what I got.
Quote:
A descendant of the dust mite is now an ambush predator in boreal forest regions. Sexual selection is determined by fighting.

Oh nononononoNO. I thought I might be safe from those beasts in a forest. Ah, spring and summer would be hell. Got both a dust allergy and mild hayfever. Damnit.
Please don't evolve that direction, will you?
Don’t worry, maybe it’s only an ambush predator of other tiny invertebrates.

and this, kids, is how we got headcrabs
tumblr_ovy93jxd481u1ry24o2_500.gif
[quote name="sunnySerina" date="2021-01-27 21:07:23" ] [quote name="Xionahri" date="2021-01-27 21:06:00" ] Look at what I got. [quote]A descendant of the dust mite is now an ambush predator in boreal forest regions. Sexual selection is determined by fighting.[/quote] Oh nononononoNO. I thought I might be safe from those beasts in a forest. Ah, spring and summer would be hell. Got both a dust allergy and mild hayfever. Damnit. Please don't evolve that direction, will you? [/quote] Don’t worry, maybe it’s only an ambush predator of other tiny invertebrates. [/quote] That doesn't change the fact that it defecates and triggers my allergies. If it were big enough to prey on me, at least its droppings would be big enough not to float around in there. I'd almost think that's preferable. [quote name="LoversMasque" date="2021-01-27 21:11:08" ] and this, kids, is how we got headcrabs [/quote] This, but imagine also a few headcrab zombies constantly sneezing.
sunnySerina wrote on 2021-01-27 21:07:23:
Xionahri wrote on 2021-01-27 21:06:00:
Look at what I got.
Quote:
A descendant of the dust mite is now an ambush predator in boreal forest regions. Sexual selection is determined by fighting.

Oh nononononoNO. I thought I might be safe from those beasts in a forest. Ah, spring and summer would be hell. Got both a dust allergy and mild hayfever. Damnit.
Please don't evolve that direction, will you?
Don’t worry, maybe it’s only an ambush predator of other tiny invertebrates.

That doesn't change the fact that it defecates and triggers my allergies. If it were big enough to prey on me, at least its droppings would be big enough not to float around in there. I'd almost think that's preferable.

LoversMasque wrote on 2021-01-27 21:11:08:
and this, kids, is how we got headcrabs

This, but imagine also a few headcrab zombies constantly sneezing.
[font=American Gothic][size=4][quote]A descendant of the falcon is now a scavenger in scrubland regions. Sexual selection is determined by fighting.[/quote] [font=American Gothic][size=4] This sounds kinda plausible. Scavenging fighter-falcons. [/size] [quote]A descendant of the blind lizard is now an opportunistic omnivore in temperate grassland regions. Sexual selection is determined by [i]coloration[/i].[/quote] [font=American Gothic][size=4] I wonder how that works. Reduced or vestigial eyes in blind lizards. [/size] [quote]A descendant of the flatfish is now a pursuit predator in shrubland regions. Sexual selection is determined by ornamentation.[/quote] [font=American Gothic][size=4] What the.. [/size] [quote]A descendant of the salamander is now a pursuit predator in temperate grassland regions. Sexual selection is determined by sound. [/quote] [font=American Gothic][size=4] Oh hey, actual lore in a story of mine. [/size] [quote]A descendant of the bobbit worm is now a sapient opportunistic omnivore. They build single family dwellings in shrubland regions. Their society values scent in the opposite sex.[/quote] [quote]A descendant of the skeleton shrimp is now a sapient scavenger. They build nomadic camps in temperate forest regions. Their society values dancing in the opposite sex.[/quote] [quote]A descendant of the spider is now a sapient ambush predator. They build defendable settlements in bog regions. Their society values resource ownership in the opposite sex.[/quote] [font=American Gothic][size=4] Is it bad I want this?
Quote:
A descendant of the falcon is now a scavenger in scrubland regions. Sexual selection is determined by fighting.

This sounds kinda plausible. Scavenging fighter-falcons.

Quote:
A descendant of the blind lizard is now an opportunistic omnivore in temperate grassland regions. Sexual selection is determined by coloration.

I wonder how that works. Reduced or vestigial eyes in blind lizards.

Quote:
A descendant of the flatfish is now a pursuit predator in shrubland regions. Sexual selection is determined by ornamentation.

What the..

Quote:
A descendant of the salamander is now a pursuit predator in temperate grassland regions. Sexual selection is determined by sound.

Oh hey, actual lore in a story of mine.

Quote:
A descendant of the bobbit worm is now a sapient opportunistic omnivore. They build single family dwellings in shrubland regions. Their society values scent in the opposite sex.
Quote:
A descendant of the skeleton shrimp is now a sapient scavenger. They build nomadic camps in temperate forest regions. Their society values dancing in the opposite sex.
Quote:
A descendant of the spider is now a sapient ambush predator. They build defendable settlements in bog regions. Their society values resource ownership in the opposite sex.

Is it bad I want this?
Call me Requacy (Pinging Allowed!)(Note to self: Make art for signature)
[quote]209 million years have passed. A descendant of the rocky mountain goat is now a pursuit predator in savanna regions. Sexual selection is determined by nest building.[/quote]carnivorous goat [emoji=skull size=1] [quote]420 million years have passed. A descendant of the seahorse is now a pursuit predator in temperate desert regions. Sexual selection is determined by sound. [/quote]how [quote]600 million years have passed. A descendant of the nightjar is now a sapient ambush predator. They build nomadic camps in savanna regions. Their society values musical ability in the opposite sex.[/quote]finally got a cool sapient one
Quote:
209 million years have passed.
A descendant of the rocky mountain goat is now a pursuit predator in savanna regions. Sexual selection is determined by nest building.
carnivorous goat
Quote:
420 million years have passed.
A descendant of the seahorse is now a pursuit predator in temperate desert regions. Sexual selection is determined by sound.
how
Quote:
600 million years have passed.
A descendant of the nightjar is now a sapient ambush predator. They build nomadic camps in savanna regions. Their society values musical ability in the opposite sex.
finally got a cool sapient one
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
[quote name="PixelSpiral" date="2021-01-28 01:33:22" ] [quote]420 million years have passed. A descendant of the seahorse is now a pursuit predator in temperate desert regions. Sexual selection is determined by sound. [/quote]how [/quote] @PixelSpiral I got you. [img]https://i.imgur.com/HzNJXpe.png[/img] Majestic.
PixelSpiral wrote on 2021-01-28 01:33:22:
Quote:
A descendant of the seahorse is now a pursuit predator in temperate desert regions. Sexual selection is determined by sound.
how

@PixelSpiral

I got you.
HzNJXpe.png
Majestic.
@Xionahri love it. what a beautiful creatchure
@Xionahri love it. what a beautiful creatchure
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
[quote name="Xionahri" date="2021-01-28 02:53:28" ] [quote name="PixelSpiral" date="2021-01-28 01:33:22" ] [quote]420 million years have passed. A descendant of the seahorse is now a pursuit predator in temperate desert regions. Sexual selection is determined by sound. [/quote]how [/quote] @PixelSpiral I got you. [img]https://i.imgur.com/HzNJXpe.png[/img] Majestic. [/quote] @Xionahri @PixelSpiral [img]https://i.imgur.com/kvHWELB.png[/img] The Luminant Snapdragon (Hippodraconis fantasiae) is named so for its tendency to dive-bomb its prey to take bites out of it. This species is known for its extravagant nighttime mating displays, in which they compose an elaborate song and sing it with the help of their fleshy throat-pouches. This, coupled with their bioluminescence, has led travelers to call them the "Symphony of the Silent Sea". god now I wanna make an world in which all the oceans have dried out and everything's a desert...
Xionahri wrote on 2021-01-28 02:53:28:
PixelSpiral wrote on 2021-01-28 01:33:22:
Quote:
how

@PixelSpiral

I got you.
HzNJXpe.png
Majestic.
@Xionahri @PixelSpiral
kvHWELB.png
The Luminant Snapdragon (Hippodraconis fantasiae) is named so for its tendency to dive-bomb its prey to take bites out of it. This species is known for its extravagant nighttime mating displays, in which they compose an elaborate song and sing it with the help of their fleshy throat-pouches. This, coupled with their bioluminescence, has led travelers to call them the "Symphony of the Silent Sea".

god now I wanna make an world in which all the oceans have dried out and everything's a desert...
tumblr_ovy93jxd481u1ry24o2_500.gif
[quote]A descendant of the sunfish is now an ambush predator in shrubland regions. Sexual selection is determined by sound.[/quote] I... no words. [quote]A descendant of the fiddler crab is now a grazing herbivore in savanna regions. Sexual selection is determined by nest building.[/quote] Imagine all the grass they could cut with those giant claws. [quote]A descendant of the water scorpion is now a pursuit predator in temperate grassland regions. Sexual selection is determined by sound.[/quote] Nope. [quote]A descendant of the tasmanian devil is now an opportunistic omnivore in temperate grassland regions. Sexual selection is determined by coloration.[/quote] Meh [quote]A descendant of the sloth bear is now an insectivore in tropical desert regions. Sexual selection is determined by dancing.[/quote] Don't sloth bears already eat a lot of ants? I could actually see this. Well, maybe not the dancing part. [quote]A descendant of the squid is now a pursuit predator in savanna regions. Sexual selection is determined by sound.[/quote] The Future is Wild is quaking [quote]A descendant of the sea bass is now a scavenger in temperate grassland regions. Sexual selection is determined by sound.[/quote] So many land fish...
Quote:
A descendant of the sunfish is now an ambush predator in shrubland regions. Sexual selection is determined by sound.
I... no words.
Quote:
A descendant of the fiddler crab is now a grazing herbivore in savanna regions. Sexual selection is determined by nest building.
Imagine all the grass they could cut with those giant claws.
Quote:
A descendant of the water scorpion is now a pursuit predator in temperate grassland regions. Sexual selection is determined by sound.
Nope.
Quote:
A descendant of the tasmanian devil is now an opportunistic omnivore in temperate grassland regions. Sexual selection is determined by coloration.
Meh
Quote:
A descendant of the sloth bear is now an insectivore in tropical desert regions. Sexual selection is determined by dancing.
Don't sloth bears already eat a lot of ants? I could actually see this. Well, maybe not the dancing part.
Quote:
A descendant of the squid is now a pursuit predator in savanna regions. Sexual selection is determined by sound.
The Future is Wild is quaking
Quote:
A descendant of the sea bass is now a scavenger in temperate grassland regions. Sexual selection is determined by sound.
So many land fish...
I7a1ndF.pngOxagJgG.pngWBC5JG3.pngwOEIAes.png
511 million years have passed. A descendant of the moose is now a pursuit predator in shrubland regions. Sexual selection is determined by fighting. Hmmm... potentially a less threatening moose, but still it’s a MOOSE Something like... [img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/62/8b/36/628b366949c8de8a8ab633785ae557c2.jpg[/img] Though that cask would still shed seasonally.
511 million years have passed.

A descendant of the moose is now a pursuit predator in shrubland regions. Sexual selection is determined by fighting.

Hmmm... potentially a less threatening moose, but still it’s a MOOSE

Something like...
628b366949c8de8a8ab633785ae557c2.jpg
Though that cask would still shed seasonally.
[quote name="Doomwyte" date="2021-01-28 14:11:08" ] 511 million years have passed. A descendant of the moose is now a pursuit predator in shrubland regions. Sexual selection is determined by fighting. Hmmm... potentially a less threatening moose, but still it’s a MOOSE [/quote] Have you ever seen the horses with dog mouths? Now imagine a moose with a wolf's mouth.
Doomwyte wrote on 2021-01-28 14:11:08:
511 million years have passed.

A descendant of the moose is now a pursuit predator in shrubland regions. Sexual selection is determined by fighting.

Hmmm... potentially a less threatening moose, but still it’s a MOOSE
Have you ever seen the horses with dog mouths? Now imagine a moose with a wolf's mouth.
I7a1ndF.pngOxagJgG.pngWBC5JG3.pngwOEIAes.png
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 61 62