Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Did You Have To Learn Cursive in School?
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 15
Live in the US. We had to learn cursive in third grade but were advised against writing with it for homework and stuff because it can be hard to read

I can still do it pretty well, it just takes me much, much longer
Live in the US. We had to learn cursive in third grade but were advised against writing with it for homework and stuff because it can be hard to read

I can still do it pretty well, it just takes me much, much longer
bJs5ioz.gif
made by Dovalore. look at him go, zoomzoom
ignore my entire account i made it when i was like three. *whispers*comment waffles on my profile for a free cute food item
I went to a private school for elementary, and they had us learn cursive third grade (or fourth? can't remember). We had to write everything in cursive except for anything math-related. When I moved to public school I was kinda relieved to not have to do everything in swirls and curls any more, but I eventually forgot how to write anything but my name ¯\_(?)_/¯

edit: RIP shrug man's face
I went to a private school for elementary, and they had us learn cursive third grade (or fourth? can't remember). We had to write everything in cursive except for anything math-related. When I moved to public school I was kinda relieved to not have to do everything in swirls and curls any more, but I eventually forgot how to write anything but my name ¯\_(?)_/¯

edit: RIP shrug man's face
x ~~ BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS ~~ x
rKplWBX.gifhaNz1K4.gifSyuvpdB.gif
x ~~ CHEW UNTIL IT BLEEDS ~~ x
My issue is that I moved around a lot as a child, so every time I was about to be taught cursive, we moved somewhere else that had either done that already or hadn't done it yet. If the latter was the case, we once again happened to move before I was taught so I ended up outgrowing it and being too embarrassed to ever try to learn.
My issue is that I moved around a lot as a child, so every time I was about to be taught cursive, we moved somewhere else that had either done that already or hadn't done it yet. If the latter was the case, we once again happened to move before I was taught so I ended up outgrowing it and being too embarrassed to ever try to learn.
tumblr_n41t6kgA9S1t1zt32o2_r1_500.png
I learnt about half the alphabet in third grade,then switched to a school that didn't bother teaching cursive. I learned the rest and practiced on my own using the internet.
I learnt about half the alphabet in third grade,then switched to a school that didn't bother teaching cursive. I learned the rest and practiced on my own using the internet.
fkWjutW.png
dEo6ta2.png
3J4E2hk.png
CioCFC3.png
6YousWl.png
Honestly, it really surprises me to read that so many can't read cursive, as someone who's never left one time zone and the continent, there's always something to learn XD
Honestly, it really surprises me to read that so many can't read cursive, as someone who's never left one time zone and the continent, there's always something to learn XD
P(I have enough dragons)=1/9999999999999999999999999999^9999999
It's a bad obsession, it's always messing, it's always messing my lair
News about my dragons
It's a weird one for me because I can recall having to learn cursive as part of the curriculum up until grade 5-7 depending on school, but then suddenly when I switched schools in year 6 it was only hand written and no mention of cursive writing at all. I was the only one in the class that could write it, and had students asking me to teach them at break :o
It's a weird one for me because I can recall having to learn cursive as part of the curriculum up until grade 5-7 depending on school, but then suddenly when I switched schools in year 6 it was only hand written and no mention of cursive writing at all. I was the only one in the class that could write it, and had students asking me to teach them at break :o
JPMCT7e.gif
+19FR time // New Zealand 2SMMpq3.gif
Constantly chasing potential breeding projects,
and pretty shiny things to add to my lair
2EUc3Li.gifWishlist2EUc3Li.gif
o0tyx2r.png
YSqtekc.gif
I had to learn it -- probably around the third grade -- and then use it for most of the rest of grade school. I remember having an electric typewriter for high school so major papers were probably done on that then.

Now I write in a hybrid generally when making notes for myself. (The reason we do that btw is that it is faster than either print or cursive alone) If I'm writing for someone else it leans more toward print and forms are exclusively print.

I also taught myself calligraphy (kit with a book and pen with nibs and angled markers). Some of that may be incorporated in my everyday writing, too. I think it helped make things neater, not that my handwriting was ever messy.

People not being able to read cursive, especially teachers, had not occurred to me. It makes a little sense I suppose since historical handwriting is harder because styles have changed. I'm going to have to consider this when dealing with young'uns these days.
I had to learn it -- probably around the third grade -- and then use it for most of the rest of grade school. I remember having an electric typewriter for high school so major papers were probably done on that then.

Now I write in a hybrid generally when making notes for myself. (The reason we do that btw is that it is faster than either print or cursive alone) If I'm writing for someone else it leans more toward print and forms are exclusively print.

I also taught myself calligraphy (kit with a book and pen with nibs and angled markers). Some of that may be incorporated in my everyday writing, too. I think it helped make things neater, not that my handwriting was ever messy.

People not being able to read cursive, especially teachers, had not occurred to me. It makes a little sense I suppose since historical handwriting is harder because styles have changed. I'm going to have to consider this when dealing with young'uns these days.
LvA Contribution
I had to learn in 4th and 5th
I had to learn in 4th and 5th
It's PhEOnix404 not PhOEnix404

RM5UN.gif
i did but it was completely useless because i rarely write in cursive now. its just easier for me to just write normally
i did but it was completely useless because i rarely write in cursive now. its just easier for me to just write normally
2gzbgvt.png eq6zQ9M.png
AaYNmEX.png
rUoKR6y.png
ypcKWM0.png
Not only did I learn it but it is painfully hard for me to print because cursive is so much faster. Anytime I try to print out more than one word I default into cursive for the speed factor. I would likely flat out fail classes these days because I wouldn't be able to print out longer essay answers fast enough on tests.
Not only did I learn it but it is painfully hard for me to print because cursive is so much faster. Anytime I try to print out more than one word I default into cursive for the speed factor. I would likely flat out fail classes these days because I wouldn't be able to print out longer essay answers fast enough on tests.
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 15