Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | J.K Rowling thought?
1 2 3 4
I am ignoring a lot of what she says on Twitter. She can say whatever she wants, but the canon she has published - the books, the play, the Fantastic Beasts movies - doesn't show what she says. Unless she's going to update the books/rewrite for more of this canon, then I don't care.

Diane Duane did an update of her Young Wizards books in recent years, because when they were first written, cell phones weren't a thing. But newer readers were wondering why Kit and company didn't have phones. She went through each of her books and made a "Millennium Edition" where the story could stay essentially the same in terms of stakes, but the characters were more in line with the readers. From what I've heard, it worked well.

If Rowling does something like this, cool. Include all the canon changes you want. But once a published work is out in the world, authorial intent kind of goes out the window as readers/viewers react to and with the work.
I am ignoring a lot of what she says on Twitter. She can say whatever she wants, but the canon she has published - the books, the play, the Fantastic Beasts movies - doesn't show what she says. Unless she's going to update the books/rewrite for more of this canon, then I don't care.

Diane Duane did an update of her Young Wizards books in recent years, because when they were first written, cell phones weren't a thing. But newer readers were wondering why Kit and company didn't have phones. She went through each of her books and made a "Millennium Edition" where the story could stay essentially the same in terms of stakes, but the characters were more in line with the readers. From what I've heard, it worked well.

If Rowling does something like this, cool. Include all the canon changes you want. But once a published work is out in the world, authorial intent kind of goes out the window as readers/viewers react to and with the work.
noli timere tempestatem. tempestas est res pulchra. ama tempestatem et gaude in pulchritudine.
595bwIn.png
nunc, ad tuas labores reveni!
What did she do besides say Dumbledore is gay without showing it? Not meaning to start anything, I genuinely don't follow her that closely and don't know. tho unfortunately the tweet about wizards going to the bathroom where they stood and then vanishing the evidence did make it to my feed [emoji=guardian sad size=2]
What did she do besides say Dumbledore is gay without showing it? Not meaning to start anything, I genuinely don't follow her that closely and don't know.

tho unfortunately the tweet about wizards going to the bathroom where they stood and then vanishing the evidence did make it to my feed
Fantastic Beasts 2 ended with a Jewish girl joining the Nazis. That's inclusion, right? :D
Fantastic Beasts 2 ended with a Jewish girl joining the Nazis. That's inclusion, right? :D
It takes Twelve Years for one Imperial pair to produce a Primal-eyed offspring of a specific sex. Goal-based breeding is dead.
It's forced diversity that was more of an afterthought.
It's forced diversity that was more of an afterthought.
And honestly, why does anything have to change? Lots of people love harry potter. If she ends up changing everybody im going to be heartbroken...
And honestly, why does anything have to change? Lots of people love harry potter. If she ends up changing everybody im going to be heartbroken...
The current Harry Potter books will stay canon for me, regardless what J.K. does or does not do. Admittedly I have a tendency to make male characters gay (sometimes despite what canon says) but thats just for fanfictions and for my personal enjoyment.
I don't think she should go and force "diversity" that way, especially not in a finished book series.
The current Harry Potter books will stay canon for me, regardless what J.K. does or does not do. Admittedly I have a tendency to make male characters gay (sometimes despite what canon says) but thats just for fanfictions and for my personal enjoyment.
I don't think she should go and force "diversity" that way, especially not in a finished book series.
tumblr_otyhq9Ynj41vsg0m1o1_400.pngsmall_save_the_imps2_by_keldeostar-dc6ioyu.pngtumblr_otyhq9Ynj41vsg0m1o1_400.pnghttps://68.media.tumblr.com/d520b49ad1e535b4432d0a80efc5db86/tumblr_otyhq9Ynj41vsg0m1o1_400.png[/img]
[quote name="Ridara" date="2019-07-19 08:56:12" ] Fantastic Beasts 2 ended with a Jewish girl joining the Nazis. That's inclusion, right? :D [/quote] Yep. Don't forget the Tragic Biracial Character who Dies TM. ("Wait, you're saying Wizard Hitler... had a point?" Honest Trailers summing up the movie logic that confuses my logic) *Eats popcorn while waiting for the inevitable flame war*
Ridara wrote on 2019-07-19 08:56:12:

Yep. Don't forget the Tragic Biracial Character who Dies TM.

("Wait, you're saying Wizard Hitler... had a point?" Honest Trailers summing up the movie logic that confuses my logic)

*Eats popcorn while waiting for the inevitable flame war*
Call me Requacy (Pinging Allowed!)(Note to self: Make art for signature)
I used to look up to her as an aspiring fantasy writer, and I deeply respected her journey with the struggles of being a woman trying to break through into the industry. Harry Potter is iconic in how it appeals to such a wide audience. And nothing is more inspiring than reading about how J.K. used to work on the series on scraps of paper in a coffee shop because she couldn't afford a good typewriter.

I'm not going to stop liking Harry Potter because I thoroughly believe that art can exist apart from its creator but the more I learn about how much of a close-minded bigot she is and how much of that leaked into her work the sicker I feel. It just. Sucks to learn your idols are horrible people. :/

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have such a problem if she'd just stop trying so hard. She's never going to be intersectional unless she takes a good hard look at herself and her worldview, which I don't think will happen any time soon. Being fake inclusive is worse than being honest about your exclusionism.
I used to look up to her as an aspiring fantasy writer, and I deeply respected her journey with the struggles of being a woman trying to break through into the industry. Harry Potter is iconic in how it appeals to such a wide audience. And nothing is more inspiring than reading about how J.K. used to work on the series on scraps of paper in a coffee shop because she couldn't afford a good typewriter.

I'm not going to stop liking Harry Potter because I thoroughly believe that art can exist apart from its creator but the more I learn about how much of a close-minded bigot she is and how much of that leaked into her work the sicker I feel. It just. Sucks to learn your idols are horrible people. :/

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have such a problem if she'd just stop trying so hard. She's never going to be intersectional unless she takes a good hard look at herself and her worldview, which I don't think will happen any time soon. Being fake inclusive is worse than being honest about your exclusionism.
EWVk32n.png 2myBCp7.png vnzi22K.png EZm008o.png O0Pbuvo.png
[quote name="Hawktalon" date="2019-07-19 12:13:24" ] I'm not going to stop liking Harry Potter because I thoroughly believe that art can exist apart from its creator but the more I learn about how much of a close-minded bigot she is and how much of that leaked into her work the sicker I feel. It just. Sucks to learn your idols are horrible people. :/ [/quote] this, basically I'm going to have to reread the books someday, because I first started reading when I was, what, six? I didn't know a lot about those things to be able to pick up on them at that point jkgfhdk I'm a big fan of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and its creator has done similar (but not entirely the same) things [spoiler]e.g. saying Fugo wears a thong, Dio is bi, etc[/spoiler] but like. It's stuff that makes sense and draws from canon. It isn't just saying an iconic character is gay or black for the sake of forced diversity and appealing to The El Gee Bee Tees(tm) when nothing in canon ever indicated so
Hawktalon wrote on 2019-07-19 12:13:24:

this, basically
I'm going to have to reread the books someday, because I first started reading when I was, what, six? I didn't know a lot about those things to be able to pick up on them at that point jkgfhdk

I'm a big fan of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and its creator has done similar (but not entirely the same) things e.g. saying Fugo wears a thong, Dio is bi, etc but like. It's stuff that makes sense and draws from canon. It isn't just saying an iconic character is gay or black for the sake of forced diversity and appealing to The El Gee Bee Tees(tm) when nothing in canon ever indicated so
cbaa17a5a06daa6a78029fcf8763b4844dd0e1a6.png .
...he/him | FR+8
@Fire lairs - please let me know
if you hatch a mint/ruby/hunter
dragon! I have a mighty need.
....OjYCOIV.png
i don't like harry potter so i don't care really.
i don't like harry potter so i don't care really.
Looking for some art for your dragons? click down below!

giphy.gif
1 2 3 4