Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Quest to Throw Random Facts at People
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12
The human body can live without a stomach. It's a treatment for a type of cancer (and smthn else I think but I can't remember what??) and the esophagus is attached directly the the intestines.

Snakes do not unhinge their jaws- instead, their lower jaws are split into multiple sections attached by flexible ligaments to allow them to bend and stretch the way they do.

Sticking to the topic of snakes, their hissing is produced in what is known as the "glottis" in their mouths. It's used for them to breath when swallowing large meals, but they can forcefully push air through it, causing the hissing sound.

Rattlesnake rattles will grow every time the snake sheds. This is because they're made of loosely interlocked segments of keratin, which is what the snake sheds and inversely gets left behind on it. The distinctive rattling sound rattlesnakes make is because the segments of keratin are loose enough to knock together when shaken. All other snakes can rattle their tails in the same manner, but they make noise based on their tails knocking on their surroundings.

A large enough python or anaconda could swallow an alligator whole. But if they swallow it alive, it can literally claw its way out from inside the snake.

Spitting cobras have fangs that are specifically designed to project venom forward instead of solely injecting it.

I love snakes.
The human body can live without a stomach. It's a treatment for a type of cancer (and smthn else I think but I can't remember what??) and the esophagus is attached directly the the intestines.

Snakes do not unhinge their jaws- instead, their lower jaws are split into multiple sections attached by flexible ligaments to allow them to bend and stretch the way they do.

Sticking to the topic of snakes, their hissing is produced in what is known as the "glottis" in their mouths. It's used for them to breath when swallowing large meals, but they can forcefully push air through it, causing the hissing sound.

Rattlesnake rattles will grow every time the snake sheds. This is because they're made of loosely interlocked segments of keratin, which is what the snake sheds and inversely gets left behind on it. The distinctive rattling sound rattlesnakes make is because the segments of keratin are loose enough to knock together when shaken. All other snakes can rattle their tails in the same manner, but they make noise based on their tails knocking on their surroundings.

A large enough python or anaconda could swallow an alligator whole. But if they swallow it alive, it can literally claw its way out from inside the snake.

Spitting cobras have fangs that are specifically designed to project venom forward instead of solely injecting it.

I love snakes.
wORSkxL.png
The Sequoia supercomputer draws ~8 megawatts; that's enough to power around 4000 homes.
The Sequoia supercomputer draws ~8 megawatts; that's enough to power around 4000 homes.
cL9yafY.gif
@Vulcanatus oh hey me too

It's impossible for a bat to stand upright; their feet simply aren't designed to do so.
@Vulcanatus oh hey me too

It's impossible for a bat to stand upright; their feet simply aren't designed to do so.
yotd_horizontal_border.png
-The first satellite in space was about the size of a beach ball
-A group of sharks is called a shiver
-The Amazon rainforest is about twice the size of India
-The first satellite in space was about the size of a beach ball
-A group of sharks is called a shiver
-The Amazon rainforest is about twice the size of India
250,000,000 years ago, cockroaches were as big as today's house cats.
(I'm so sorry if anyone is afraid of bugs ;-;)
250,000,000 years ago, cockroaches were as big as today's house cats.
(I'm so sorry if anyone is afraid of bugs ;-;)
you cant survive eating only celery, it takes more energy to digest it than it gives you

oxygen is highly flammable and if the air was 50%(ish) oxygen, everything would have been in flames by now

when there was more oxygen in the air a few million years back, living things were alot more bigger, except for certain living things

i think everyone know what i just said but
you cant survive eating only celery, it takes more energy to digest it than it gives you

oxygen is highly flammable and if the air was 50%(ish) oxygen, everything would have been in flames by now

when there was more oxygen in the air a few million years back, living things were alot more bigger, except for certain living things

i think everyone know what i just said but
EYqX9Ka.png My TH | ChickenSmoothie | Wishlist | Project Journal
Scarred.png
Complete, instant death is actually almost impossible! Even a shot in the head doesn't kill instantly; it usually incapacitates right away, but if treatment is received RIGHT AWAY, it is possible to survive. With ah, the chance of horrible side effects, of course. However it's said that between 3-8% of victims can actually have a more or less normal life after something like that!

On a brighter note, have some friendly pet facts :D

- Cats have "whiskers" on the backside of their paws to help them sense vibrations in the ground.

- The Scottish Fold cat breed is very prone to different types of genetic diseases, and as such it is prohibited to breed two folds together. The litter would all have the folded ears, yes, but if any of the kittens survived, there is a good chance they won't live a long or fulfilling life.

- Horses have nearly perfect olfactory memory! That means that once they have smelled a smell, they never forget it.
Complete, instant death is actually almost impossible! Even a shot in the head doesn't kill instantly; it usually incapacitates right away, but if treatment is received RIGHT AWAY, it is possible to survive. With ah, the chance of horrible side effects, of course. However it's said that between 3-8% of victims can actually have a more or less normal life after something like that!

On a brighter note, have some friendly pet facts :D

- Cats have "whiskers" on the backside of their paws to help them sense vibrations in the ground.

- The Scottish Fold cat breed is very prone to different types of genetic diseases, and as such it is prohibited to breed two folds together. The litter would all have the folded ears, yes, but if any of the kittens survived, there is a good chance they won't live a long or fulfilling life.

- Horses have nearly perfect olfactory memory! That means that once they have smelled a smell, they never forget it.
**Please ping me Rahkali, not Rakhali!**

xxxxxx xxx xxxxx xxx xxxxxx xxxx x xxxxx xxxx x x xxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxx
z0HlerP.png
The sense of, well, sensing your limbs is called proprioception.
The sense of, well, sensing your limbs is called proprioception.
Coconuts are botanically classified as a fruit, nut, and seed.
Coconuts are botanically classified as a fruit, nut, and seed.
CedVBCC.png
0AniMUO.gif

Good characters are like geodes: To see their true beauty, you must break them.

-Let me write you a poem, maybe?-

q1INfTU.gif
you are all fantastic,
if you see this have a very lovely day
- Snow White and the seven dwarves was the first fully animated full length film.
-before it came out, reporters called it "Disney's folly" because they couldn't believe a full length cartoon could possibly succeed.
-after it came out, it was considered too scary for children until young princess Elizibeth saw it and experienced no ill effects.
-the Disney's core group of animators who worked on this film were known as "The Nine Old Men" ( though they were young at the time). These men continued to produce some of the most influential work in animation history throughout thier lives.
- Snow White and the seven dwarves was the first fully animated full length film.
-before it came out, reporters called it "Disney's folly" because they couldn't believe a full length cartoon could possibly succeed.
-after it came out, it was considered too scary for children until young princess Elizibeth saw it and experienced no ill effects.
-the Disney's core group of animators who worked on this film were known as "The Nine Old Men" ( though they were young at the time). These men continued to produce some of the most influential work in animation history throughout thier lives.
tumblr_ona6ed8Hu71u9ymyzo6_r1_250.pngtumblr_on2sm1UsoN1u9ymyzo9_r1_100.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12