Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Quest to Throw Random Facts at People
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Well, guess this thread is dead now.
So

The syrinx is a set of muscles in songbirds' throats. It helps with vocalization that cannot be achieved by the bird's larynx.

I can't explain them very well so just go look it up or smth
Well, guess this thread is dead now.
So

The syrinx is a set of muscles in songbirds' throats. It helps with vocalization that cannot be achieved by the bird's larynx.

I can't explain them very well so just go look it up or smth
yotd_horizontal_border.png
Corsets were originally made with baleen, or the substance that makes the filter feeding system in whales. Baleen is also called whalebone, hence why corset stays are called "bones", even when steel became most common. The most common stays used today are known "flat steel bones" and "spiral steel bones", despite the fact that they aren't bone. And when referring to "breaking a bone" when tightening a corset, it refers to damaging the garment, not the person or their bones.
Corsets were originally made with baleen, or the substance that makes the filter feeding system in whales. Baleen is also called whalebone, hence why corset stays are called "bones", even when steel became most common. The most common stays used today are known "flat steel bones" and "spiral steel bones", despite the fact that they aren't bone. And when referring to "breaking a bone" when tightening a corset, it refers to damaging the garment, not the person or their bones.
Treebeard is considered to be the oldest being in Middle Earth.
Treebeard is considered to be the oldest being in Middle Earth.
[quote name="xiaoyao8" date=2017-11-20 15:31:48] Human bites have more germs than a dog bite! (Don't bite people) [/quote] The fact that we have so many germs in our bodies is a really good thing. Some are beneficiary to various processes like digestion (I'm specifically referring to gut bacteria but I wouldn't be surprised if oral bacteria helped with the first stages of digestion. That's why cats have so much bacteria in their mouths.), and others just take up space so more harmful bacteria have nowhere to grow. And the presence of some bacteria help strengthen our immune systems. We have plenty of bacteria strains in our bodies (and on our skin) that are potentially harmful, but only in situations in which the immune system is suppressed, your natural bacteria have been depleted (ie. by an antibiotic), or they end up in places they shouldn't be (such as gut bacteria like [I]E. coli[/I] in your stomach). Basically when they grow out of control. It's quite fascinating, really. Even bacteria that can cause horrible infections, like strains of strep, exist natively and harmlessly in a large percentage of people. We tend not to associate symbiotic relationships with bacteria and their hosts but for a lot of strains that's the case.
xiaoyao8 wrote on 2017-11-20:
Human bites have more germs than a dog bite! (Don't bite people)

The fact that we have so many germs in our bodies is a really good thing. Some are beneficiary to various processes like digestion (I'm specifically referring to gut bacteria but I wouldn't be surprised if oral bacteria helped with the first stages of digestion. That's why cats have so much bacteria in their mouths.), and others just take up space so more harmful bacteria have nowhere to grow. And the presence of some bacteria help strengthen our immune systems. We have plenty of bacteria strains in our bodies (and on our skin) that are potentially harmful, but only in situations in which the immune system is suppressed, your natural bacteria have been depleted (ie. by an antibiotic), or they end up in places they shouldn't be (such as gut bacteria like E. coli in your stomach). Basically when they grow out of control.

It's quite fascinating, really. Even bacteria that can cause horrible infections, like strains of strep, exist natively and harmlessly in a large percentage of people. We tend not to associate symbiotic relationships with bacteria and their hosts but for a lot of strains that's the case.
EWVk32n.png 2myBCp7.png vnzi22K.png EZm008o.png O0Pbuvo.png
@Hawktalon I think more people should get told what you just said

The smallest donkey was born in 2007, named KneeHi, and measured about 25 inches at the withers.
@Hawktalon I think more people should get told what you just said

The smallest donkey was born in 2007, named KneeHi, and measured about 25 inches at the withers.
The name "Gandalf" was taken from the Poetic Edda, and is in that actually the name of a dwarf
The name "Gandalf" was taken from the Poetic Edda, and is in that actually the name of a dwarf
Diamonds feel cold because they conduct heat very quickly.
Diamonds feel cold because they conduct heat very quickly.
@Phrixi
Your foot is the same size as your forearm, specifically from the increase of your elbow to your wrist
source: check your foot
@Phrixi
Your foot is the same size as your forearm, specifically from the increase of your elbow to your wrist
source: check your foot
fhJcysU.png
Astatine is the rarest element on Earth; only about 30 grams of it have been found.
Astatine is the rarest element on Earth; only about 30 grams of it have been found.
Radium-226 is the most stable isotope of that element.
Radium-226 is the most stable isotope of that element.
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12