Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | pls tell me your online dating story!!
1 2 3 4 5
I dated a guy online once who I thought was pretty chill, & I ended up getting an obsessive near-stalker :') Definitely one of the low points in my life tbh
I dated a guy online once who I thought was pretty chill, & I ended up getting an obsessive near-stalker :') Definitely one of the low points in my life tbh
qesQFkT.gif
@trickybiz

I've had one bad experience, one pretty nice one, and one hella great one.

The bad: Got to be really good friends with a chick who was in a pokemon OCT group on dA I was participating in, we clicked hella well and did a lot of writing together and then we admitted that we hella liked each other as more than friends. Things were nice for a while buuuuut it turned out that she was (and still is, and always was) highly emotionally manipulative and generally human garbage and to this day I'm still dealing with the emotional damage I took away from that, and this was four years ago.

The pretty nice: Another friend I made through that OCT who I actually stayed friends with and talked to for a couple years afterward, we both were hella chill and got along super well and decided hey why not try the girlfriends thing with. It was never super serious and I think we were more really close friends than anything, but that's probably more to do with me turning out to be hella ace and her being the same way. We both ended up being too busy to keep up the relationship, but we've never stopped being friends.

The hella great: Beginning of last year I joined a new pokemon rp group on dA (surprise, surprise) because I was super stressed from IRL personal stuff and met some cool new friends, one of which was Extra Cool and we got super close super fast. They lived in Washington and I was still in Tennessee at the time so timezones were crazy but we made do. We both enjoy drawing, and they're a really great writer so we came up with some rad stories that we're still working on as bigger projects. Aaaaaaaand then the mutual crushing began. And when we finally stopped being weenies and told each other how we felt we started seriously trying to do the long-distance thing, and THEN a few months later I somehow I managed to move to Oregon so we weren't long distance anymore?? Was nice because when we finally met in person for the first time it felt like we'd always known each other. We've been dating for very close to a year now and I love this big dork more than anything~

I guess the moral of the story is that I'm glad I never outgrew my childhood pokemon craze, haha!
@trickybiz

I've had one bad experience, one pretty nice one, and one hella great one.

The bad: Got to be really good friends with a chick who was in a pokemon OCT group on dA I was participating in, we clicked hella well and did a lot of writing together and then we admitted that we hella liked each other as more than friends. Things were nice for a while buuuuut it turned out that she was (and still is, and always was) highly emotionally manipulative and generally human garbage and to this day I'm still dealing with the emotional damage I took away from that, and this was four years ago.

The pretty nice: Another friend I made through that OCT who I actually stayed friends with and talked to for a couple years afterward, we both were hella chill and got along super well and decided hey why not try the girlfriends thing with. It was never super serious and I think we were more really close friends than anything, but that's probably more to do with me turning out to be hella ace and her being the same way. We both ended up being too busy to keep up the relationship, but we've never stopped being friends.

The hella great: Beginning of last year I joined a new pokemon rp group on dA (surprise, surprise) because I was super stressed from IRL personal stuff and met some cool new friends, one of which was Extra Cool and we got super close super fast. They lived in Washington and I was still in Tennessee at the time so timezones were crazy but we made do. We both enjoy drawing, and they're a really great writer so we came up with some rad stories that we're still working on as bigger projects. Aaaaaaaand then the mutual crushing began. And when we finally stopped being weenies and told each other how we felt we started seriously trying to do the long-distance thing, and THEN a few months later I somehow I managed to move to Oregon so we weren't long distance anymore?? Was nice because when we finally met in person for the first time it felt like we'd always known each other. We've been dating for very close to a year now and I love this big dork more than anything~

I guess the moral of the story is that I'm glad I never outgrew my childhood pokemon craze, haha!
hu72dVR.png
Kessu * she/her * grey ace
Dated a black dude from Florida, was nice but he ended up being a womanizer that wanted to date me for "the challenge". Fun times. Still recovering from that one.
Dated a black dude from Florida, was nice but he ended up being a womanizer that wanted to date me for "the challenge". Fun times. Still recovering from that one.
@trickybiz

i barely have a social life irl so almost all of my relationships have started out online. it's not a bad thing! honestly i think a lot of people look at online dating nowadays with so many dating sites/apps out there. there's the possibility of finding creeps and catfishers of course, but most of the time you'll find genuine people.

i'm currently in an online relationship with my boyfriend and we've been dating for almost seven months. he lives in iowa, i live in georgia. we talk on the phone almost every day and we're really head over heels for each other, tbh. when we first met we just... clicked. and since we both have bpd, we quickly became each other's "favorite person" and we'd always look forward to talking to each other because we had so much in common that it was almost ridiculous.

one night i was making posts on my tumblr blog about having a crush and then out of nowhere he asks me who i had a crush on. i felt like puking lmao i was so nervous, so i kinda danced around the question but he told me first that he had a crush on me. it's been nothing but great ever since, despite a few spats and misunderstandings we've had. we've gotten SO close over the past half-year and we're even planning on moving in together once he gets enough money and gets his license renewed, aaah. it'll be the best day of my life to finally meet him in person.
@trickybiz

i barely have a social life irl so almost all of my relationships have started out online. it's not a bad thing! honestly i think a lot of people look at online dating nowadays with so many dating sites/apps out there. there's the possibility of finding creeps and catfishers of course, but most of the time you'll find genuine people.

i'm currently in an online relationship with my boyfriend and we've been dating for almost seven months. he lives in iowa, i live in georgia. we talk on the phone almost every day and we're really head over heels for each other, tbh. when we first met we just... clicked. and since we both have bpd, we quickly became each other's "favorite person" and we'd always look forward to talking to each other because we had so much in common that it was almost ridiculous.

one night i was making posts on my tumblr blog about having a crush and then out of nowhere he asks me who i had a crush on. i felt like puking lmao i was so nervous, so i kinda danced around the question but he told me first that he had a crush on me. it's been nothing but great ever since, despite a few spats and misunderstandings we've had. we've gotten SO close over the past half-year and we're even planning on moving in together once he gets enough money and gets his license renewed, aaah. it'll be the best day of my life to finally meet him in person.
you really think someone would do that?
just go on the internet and tell lies?
My first (and current) relationship is long distance. :'D We met on tumblr (of all things) over anime/videogames (of all things) and we were friends over a year half before realizing at around the same time that we had feelings for each other. We've been dating for a year now. He's a really great, sweet guy, so I'm pretty happy to have him around, especially because I feel I've become a more open person to talk to when issues show up thanks to him and that definitively gives me and other people less headaches lol.

Even with a small obstacle (the entire Atlantic ocean) we managed to meet and live together for a couple months and it was wonderful. We clicked just as well as we did online, the only difference according to him is that 'I'm smaller than he expected me to be', hahaha. It did feel a bigger difference to be in a LDR once we had to part, since you finally know what's to miss someone you actually met in real life but lives so far away. Still worth it for us, though.

It seems like LDRs can be quite of a mixed bag, if you end up meeting someone who isn't what they seemed to be or just don't click in real life, but they can be pretty great if you meet the right person and aren't too mindful of the possible several hour distance. I personally am glad my first one was LDR for several reasons, it feels I could make more mistakes about some things and they wouldn't be as severe as if it was face-to-face, so now I'm better prepared to not repeat them again in real life.

I was hoping not to ramble but even if I cut off some details it's still a long post. :'D Oh well. Hope you and your crush can meet and be together soon, OP~
My first (and current) relationship is long distance. :'D We met on tumblr (of all things) over anime/videogames (of all things) and we were friends over a year half before realizing at around the same time that we had feelings for each other. We've been dating for a year now. He's a really great, sweet guy, so I'm pretty happy to have him around, especially because I feel I've become a more open person to talk to when issues show up thanks to him and that definitively gives me and other people less headaches lol.

Even with a small obstacle (the entire Atlantic ocean) we managed to meet and live together for a couple months and it was wonderful. We clicked just as well as we did online, the only difference according to him is that 'I'm smaller than he expected me to be', hahaha. It did feel a bigger difference to be in a LDR once we had to part, since you finally know what's to miss someone you actually met in real life but lives so far away. Still worth it for us, though.

It seems like LDRs can be quite of a mixed bag, if you end up meeting someone who isn't what they seemed to be or just don't click in real life, but they can be pretty great if you meet the right person and aren't too mindful of the possible several hour distance. I personally am glad my first one was LDR for several reasons, it feels I could make more mistakes about some things and they wouldn't be as severe as if it was face-to-face, so now I'm better prepared to not repeat them again in real life.

I was hoping not to ramble but even if I cut off some details it's still a long post. :'D Oh well. Hope you and your crush can meet and be together soon, OP~
WwxStnC.gifeSptuuR.gif
My first online relationship was kinda...meh. At the time I was single and terribly lonely, so I decided to join a couple different online dating sites, just to see what they were all about. This one guy hit me up and we started chatting and stuff on the site. The first couple of days was actually pretty nice; we talked about video games we had some mutual interest in, talked about art and drawing, and...that was pretty much all we had in common. After just a few days (less than a week), I decided to cut the 'relationship' down because it got uncomfortable for different reasons. Just, there was a lot wrong there, but I won't go into detail because probably boring haha.

After that, I was anxious to stay away from online dating a while, but I eventually started talking to another guy. I had learned from my previous mistakes however, and insisted that we wouldn't be 'dating' or 'in a relationship' until we had at least met in person first; just to see if we really were who we claimed to be. Anyway, long story short, we wound up getting married and have been so for almost two years now!!

FYI: for those of you who are dating online or considering it: Don't start telling someone you love them or wanna be with them for the rest of your life; wait until you meet them in person and get to know them. The 'lovey-dovey' and 'feel-goods' only last for so long, so you gotta be careful that you don't get soaked up in a bunch of wishful thinking that blinds you. ANYWAY I'LL QUIT BLABBING, I COULD GO ON FOR HOURS.
My first online relationship was kinda...meh. At the time I was single and terribly lonely, so I decided to join a couple different online dating sites, just to see what they were all about. This one guy hit me up and we started chatting and stuff on the site. The first couple of days was actually pretty nice; we talked about video games we had some mutual interest in, talked about art and drawing, and...that was pretty much all we had in common. After just a few days (less than a week), I decided to cut the 'relationship' down because it got uncomfortable for different reasons. Just, there was a lot wrong there, but I won't go into detail because probably boring haha.

After that, I was anxious to stay away from online dating a while, but I eventually started talking to another guy. I had learned from my previous mistakes however, and insisted that we wouldn't be 'dating' or 'in a relationship' until we had at least met in person first; just to see if we really were who we claimed to be. Anyway, long story short, we wound up getting married and have been so for almost two years now!!

FYI: for those of you who are dating online or considering it: Don't start telling someone you love them or wanna be with them for the rest of your life; wait until you meet them in person and get to know them. The 'lovey-dovey' and 'feel-goods' only last for so long, so you gotta be careful that you don't get soaked up in a bunch of wishful thinking that blinds you. ANYWAY I'LL QUIT BLABBING, I COULD GO ON FOR HOURS.
>Went on a date with a dude I met online
> Took me to a hole-in-the-wall Japanese restaurant and decided he wanted to order for me
> Ordered chicken hearts skewered on a stick. Luckily for him, I was working at a Chinese restaurant at the time and had already sampled various bits of animal offal.
> We had planned to see a movie but when we got to the theater he decided he didn't want to
> I'm in a nice dress & tall heels
> He decides he wants to walk around the city and talk
> FOR HOURS
> Finally at 2:30 AM he decides he wants to go home
> He says bye and LEAVES ME IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CITY AT 2:30 IN THE BLEEDIN MORNING WHEN HE KNOWS I DON'T OWN A CAR AND THERE ARE NO MORE BUSES RUNNING
> I HAVE TO WALK HOME IN MY LITTLE DRESS AND HIGH HEELS THROUGH A NOT-SO-SAFE PART OF TOWN (had recently moved to the area and didn't have any friends yet to beg for a ride)
> I GET HOME AT 4:00 AM AND THEN HAVE TO BE UP AT 7:00 TO GET READY FOR WORK
> That evening I sent him a big "F U" text and then blocked his number

:'D
>Went on a date with a dude I met online
> Took me to a hole-in-the-wall Japanese restaurant and decided he wanted to order for me
> Ordered chicken hearts skewered on a stick. Luckily for him, I was working at a Chinese restaurant at the time and had already sampled various bits of animal offal.
> We had planned to see a movie but when we got to the theater he decided he didn't want to
> I'm in a nice dress & tall heels
> He decides he wants to walk around the city and talk
> FOR HOURS
> Finally at 2:30 AM he decides he wants to go home
> He says bye and LEAVES ME IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CITY AT 2:30 IN THE BLEEDIN MORNING WHEN HE KNOWS I DON'T OWN A CAR AND THERE ARE NO MORE BUSES RUNNING
> I HAVE TO WALK HOME IN MY LITTLE DRESS AND HIGH HEELS THROUGH A NOT-SO-SAFE PART OF TOWN (had recently moved to the area and didn't have any friends yet to beg for a ride)
> I GET HOME AT 4:00 AM AND THEN HAVE TO BE UP AT 7:00 TO GET READY FOR WORK
> That evening I sent him a big "F U" text and then blocked his number

:'D
@trickybiz

I've had two experiences with online dating.
The first man I met in an AOL chat room XD, we were both very young (it was Pokemon), we became good friends for years, then started toying with the idea of dating each other. When we finally met in person, we weren't really compatible, but we remained friends and to this day we're still very close.

The second experience is from OKCupid. He messaged me, we spoke for a few weeks before agreeing to meet in person, there was no spark, nothing really associated with how relationships are understood to progress. It was two awkward geeks trying to figure each other out. Once we were more comfortable around each other, things absolutely took off, we're passed all the awkwardness now and I feel like I can talk to him about anything. We will be celebrating one year of dating at the end of the month :3
@trickybiz

I've had two experiences with online dating.
The first man I met in an AOL chat room XD, we were both very young (it was Pokemon), we became good friends for years, then started toying with the idea of dating each other. When we finally met in person, we weren't really compatible, but we remained friends and to this day we're still very close.

The second experience is from OKCupid. He messaged me, we spoke for a few weeks before agreeing to meet in person, there was no spark, nothing really associated with how relationships are understood to progress. It was two awkward geeks trying to figure each other out. Once we were more comfortable around each other, things absolutely took off, we're passed all the awkwardness now and I feel like I can talk to him about anything. We will be celebrating one year of dating at the end of the month :3
YgOQ2oY.pngRfSBvPi.pngRtSbM78.pngiezVfl0.pngiWjBTCn.png

@trickybiz
ah okay, forgot to respond to this! but we met on an mmo like enormous, horrible nerds. kind of just became best friends, talked daily, and it went from there. it was rly, rly hard during the long-distance part, tho. we did our best to make it work like texting 24/7, keeping each other involved by saying what we were doing all day and things like that, we'd video chat on skype all night, watch movies together, stuff like that. but despite all of that, it was still just super hard and sad. you miss them, wish they could just be right there instead of wherever they are. you have to have a lot of trust in the other person, which is hard to develop and easy to break. i'm not saying all long-distance relationships are or will be like that, but i feel like that's the typical. the fact that the distance was temporary, and we made sure to see/be with each other asap, is why it ended up working. i, personally, don't think it can be long-term long-distance. it's just too hard, specifically when it's not an already developed relationship. :/ and always, aaaalways try to video chat. just to see them, see that they're who they say they are. the internet is dangerous and has creepy people. be safe, pls.
@trickybiz
ah okay, forgot to respond to this! but we met on an mmo like enormous, horrible nerds. kind of just became best friends, talked daily, and it went from there. it was rly, rly hard during the long-distance part, tho. we did our best to make it work like texting 24/7, keeping each other involved by saying what we were doing all day and things like that, we'd video chat on skype all night, watch movies together, stuff like that. but despite all of that, it was still just super hard and sad. you miss them, wish they could just be right there instead of wherever they are. you have to have a lot of trust in the other person, which is hard to develop and easy to break. i'm not saying all long-distance relationships are or will be like that, but i feel like that's the typical. the fact that the distance was temporary, and we made sure to see/be with each other asap, is why it ended up working. i, personally, don't think it can be long-term long-distance. it's just too hard, specifically when it's not an already developed relationship. :/ and always, aaaalways try to video chat. just to see them, see that they're who they say they are. the internet is dangerous and has creepy people. be safe, pls.
kXpNHpy.pngMbe1yYW.pngQ8Qqksy.pngdvMS65X.pngLTXo08g.pngSLGMeHq.pngGJZzfu4.pngqKZAaLK.pngCyW25gb.pngWRPJKhj.png
JkaQI9H.png
@trickybiz

good to hear! c:

ohh, thank you so much!! <33 that definitely gives me a confidence boost--it's nice to know that people understand that you're still learning your way around the language, after all. oh no! glad to hear it sounded like it all worked out, aha. yeah, i definitely know what you mean! there are certain phrases in mandarin i would have no idea how to use / translate into english, and that's what's super cool about languages. ; u ;

oh man yeah //: it is pretty uff on how online relationships are generally viewed, and i guess that's to the fault of all the bad people out there who actually do use online relationships as an excuse to do just that. but it's really nice to connect w/ people outside of your local community and the internet is so great for that!

ohh aha i haven't watched the musical, i'm always a fan of books > movies aha. oh thank you!! <33 i'm glad to hear--it's just one of those things you read and think about for a bit, so i plopped it into my sig aha
@trickybiz

good to hear! c:

ohh, thank you so much!! <33 that definitely gives me a confidence boost--it's nice to know that people understand that you're still learning your way around the language, after all. oh no! glad to hear it sounded like it all worked out, aha. yeah, i definitely know what you mean! there are certain phrases in mandarin i would have no idea how to use / translate into english, and that's what's super cool about languages. ; u ;

oh man yeah //: it is pretty uff on how online relationships are generally viewed, and i guess that's to the fault of all the bad people out there who actually do use online relationships as an excuse to do just that. but it's really nice to connect w/ people outside of your local community and the internet is so great for that!

ohh aha i haven't watched the musical, i'm always a fan of books > movies aha. oh thank you!! <33 i'm glad to hear--it's just one of those things you read and think about for a bit, so i plopped it into my sig aha
tumblr_osr8u7mjpA1v8lm95o1_r1_100.gif
1 2 3 4 5