Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Religion
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
To answer the question: in my case, there's no real element of fear in it, because despite being a Christian I don't believe that there is a Hell (at least a permanent one) at all. It's entirely a kind of faith for me - I wouldn't say it's illogical, but although it doesn't contradict reason for me (I'm theistic entirely because such makes the most sense for me) it can't be reduced to reason - there's an element of my faith that I could never persuade anyone into because it doesn't follow from logic or sense.

But yeah, for me? There's no fear. If the God that I believe to exist exists, then the existence of a permanent Hell is unreasonable, and therefore, my beliefs do not come from anxiety over Hell. One could bring up the idea of anxiety over permanent death, and believe me, that idea bothers me, but it's not why I believe - I couldn't believe something to be true just because I wished it so...
To answer the question: in my case, there's no real element of fear in it, because despite being a Christian I don't believe that there is a Hell (at least a permanent one) at all. It's entirely a kind of faith for me - I wouldn't say it's illogical, but although it doesn't contradict reason for me (I'm theistic entirely because such makes the most sense for me) it can't be reduced to reason - there's an element of my faith that I could never persuade anyone into because it doesn't follow from logic or sense.

But yeah, for me? There's no fear. If the God that I believe to exist exists, then the existence of a permanent Hell is unreasonable, and therefore, my beliefs do not come from anxiety over Hell. One could bring up the idea of anxiety over permanent death, and believe me, that idea bothers me, but it's not why I believe - I couldn't believe something to be true just because I wished it so...
r7t2d2.png
I'll fly like a comet, soar like a comet, crash like a comet
As far as religious belief goes, I am agnostic; however, I adhere to the eightfold path of Buddhism in my daily life and in my martial arts practice.

In terms of agnosticism, Richard Feynman said it better than I could: "I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong. If we will only allow that, as we progress, we remain unsure, we will leave opportunities for alternatives. We will not become enthusiastic for the fact, the knowledge, the absolute truth of the day, but remain always uncertain … In order to make progress, one must leave the door to the unknown ajar.”

To answer your question, I do not base my Buddhist values on either faith or fear. Logic, reason, and an objective view of history tell me that how I live during the time I have is more important than living for (or in spite of) an afterlife that may not exist. For me, the eightfold path is elegant and disciplined, and those tenets help keep me focused in the midst of the daily complications and chaos of living. I believe that anyone who must use religion as a crutch to help her be a better person lacks either the courage or the foresight to understand that this moment, in this life, is the most important thing of all, and to live in it fully and to always strive to become better than she is.

In other words: open your eyes, and see all you can with them before they close forever.
As far as religious belief goes, I am agnostic; however, I adhere to the eightfold path of Buddhism in my daily life and in my martial arts practice.

In terms of agnosticism, Richard Feynman said it better than I could: "I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong. If we will only allow that, as we progress, we remain unsure, we will leave opportunities for alternatives. We will not become enthusiastic for the fact, the knowledge, the absolute truth of the day, but remain always uncertain … In order to make progress, one must leave the door to the unknown ajar.”

To answer your question, I do not base my Buddhist values on either faith or fear. Logic, reason, and an objective view of history tell me that how I live during the time I have is more important than living for (or in spite of) an afterlife that may not exist. For me, the eightfold path is elegant and disciplined, and those tenets help keep me focused in the midst of the daily complications and chaos of living. I believe that anyone who must use religion as a crutch to help her be a better person lacks either the courage or the foresight to understand that this moment, in this life, is the most important thing of all, and to live in it fully and to always strive to become better than she is.

In other words: open your eyes, and see all you can with them before they close forever.
I have an equation. Do you have one, too?
Mo

I think faith more.
Mo

I think faith more.
my colors!
my cool ids interest check
give and get weird ugly soap or stained game game
pretty dergs for sale v2 (open) next bargain bin next
wyvern-hatchling-fire-pixel.gif
YAAAAY INTELLIGENT DISCUSSION.

At the heart of it, I agree with @Citation. Since I'm a bit of a univeralistic Christian, I believe that ANYONE has the chance to get to heaven.
Hell doesn't make real logical sense to me in comparison to the rest of the Gospel itself, especially the main teachings of Jesus. If anything, if hell does exist, then I imagine it to be more a place of repentance than eternal suffering.

But I think ALL religion has some roots within fear, especially when it is abused for the advancement of others. It really depends. There's that old "God-fearing Christian" stereotype, and some denominations that really push the idea of eternal damnation, but I think the more modern forms of Christianity are trying to get back to the heart of the message.
YAAAAY INTELLIGENT DISCUSSION.

At the heart of it, I agree with @Citation. Since I'm a bit of a univeralistic Christian, I believe that ANYONE has the chance to get to heaven.
Hell doesn't make real logical sense to me in comparison to the rest of the Gospel itself, especially the main teachings of Jesus. If anything, if hell does exist, then I imagine it to be more a place of repentance than eternal suffering.

But I think ALL religion has some roots within fear, especially when it is abused for the advancement of others. It really depends. There's that old "God-fearing Christian" stereotype, and some denominations that really push the idea of eternal damnation, but I think the more modern forms of Christianity are trying to get back to the heart of the message.
I think 'officially' I am still Roman Catholic...not by choice either (mother forced me to go through the confirmation process).

I'm not sure what I personally consider myself to be. I believe in reincarnation/karma and that the stories in the bible happened, but either have been greatly distorted over time, or just metaphorical (e.g. The Cain and Able story was a metaphor for when humanity went from hunter/gatherers to agriculture, if I remember the documentary on it right).

I think there is a higher power, but it is only interacts through 'messengers' (Christian equivalent would be angels I think). It's these messengers that are mistaken for the various 'gods' we've had through out history and today.

Though, sometimes I doubt such a thing exists at all. So I guess that makes me a Deist with occasional atheist episodes?

Edit: As for the question: I think most of it is fear. Fear of the unknown, to be specific (especially the unknown on what happens after we die).
I think 'officially' I am still Roman Catholic...not by choice either (mother forced me to go through the confirmation process).

I'm not sure what I personally consider myself to be. I believe in reincarnation/karma and that the stories in the bible happened, but either have been greatly distorted over time, or just metaphorical (e.g. The Cain and Able story was a metaphor for when humanity went from hunter/gatherers to agriculture, if I remember the documentary on it right).

I think there is a higher power, but it is only interacts through 'messengers' (Christian equivalent would be angels I think). It's these messengers that are mistaken for the various 'gods' we've had through out history and today.

Though, sometimes I doubt such a thing exists at all. So I guess that makes me a Deist with occasional atheist episodes?

Edit: As for the question: I think most of it is fear. Fear of the unknown, to be specific (especially the unknown on what happens after we die).
Any dragon in the 'Fodder Tab' available for sale. Fodder Tab dragons are 10k treasure for adults, 5k treasure for hatchlings. I also have leveled (up to lv 8) dragons in my Hib Den I'm willing to sell for 15k treasure min.
Truthfully? I don't know. I've been hovering somewhere in Satanist and Wiccan. I am a strong believer in reincarnation as I believe the soul is energy and follows the same laws as all other energy. Animism and Karma are also beliefs I hold tight to and always will. I believe in demons, spirits and angels/guardians as my family has had experiences with all before.

I've had these beliefs since I was young. When I was young I found a Satanist website and enjoyed how open and supportive it was to the LGBTQ+ community. I enjoyed and agreed with most everything they laid down - sins and laws.

I've called myself a Satanist for a while now, but as of this year I've been questioning that since my spiritual beliefs are not really "Satanist norm". A user on Chicken Smoothie turned me onto Wicca, but I'll admit I still don't know much about it. I know a lot of Wiccans have pantheons, but the only deity I've even felt remotely drawn to is Eros, and he's not an Olympian so I've read he can't be mine unless I also worship Aphrodite. I've nothing against that though.

So, I don't know.
Truthfully? I don't know. I've been hovering somewhere in Satanist and Wiccan. I am a strong believer in reincarnation as I believe the soul is energy and follows the same laws as all other energy. Animism and Karma are also beliefs I hold tight to and always will. I believe in demons, spirits and angels/guardians as my family has had experiences with all before.

I've had these beliefs since I was young. When I was young I found a Satanist website and enjoyed how open and supportive it was to the LGBTQ+ community. I enjoyed and agreed with most everything they laid down - sins and laws.

I've called myself a Satanist for a while now, but as of this year I've been questioning that since my spiritual beliefs are not really "Satanist norm". A user on Chicken Smoothie turned me onto Wicca, but I'll admit I still don't know much about it. I know a lot of Wiccans have pantheons, but the only deity I've even felt remotely drawn to is Eros, and he's not an Olympian so I've read he can't be mine unless I also worship Aphrodite. I've nothing against that though.

So, I don't know.
bxbkeiO.pngtumblr_nity0dJX6D1tc28p3o7_100.pngbxbkeiO.png
Be brave, be brave, be brave, be brave, and be brave
Atheist mostly b/c I just don't care for the most part.
Atheist mostly b/c I just don't care for the most part.
8qtapnq.pngtumblr_nky7fv7Uz91tfytxqo2_r1_75sq.pngRmHSCAk.png
So, I follow another religion thread on a different website, and someone over there asked a very interesting question-- I hope it's alright if I ask the question on here to see what more people have to say about it!

What would you guys do if at some point in your life a deity that you didn't already worship visited you and asked you to follow them? Would you ignore them, politely decline to follow them, accept their offer under certain conditions, ect.?
So, I follow another religion thread on a different website, and someone over there asked a very interesting question-- I hope it's alright if I ask the question on here to see what more people have to say about it!

What would you guys do if at some point in your life a deity that you didn't already worship visited you and asked you to follow them? Would you ignore them, politely decline to follow them, accept their offer under certain conditions, ect.?
i was raised lds/mormon but my general views don't really match up with any specific religion - i.e. we're all on this weird rock in space and maybe it's for a reason/maybe it's not but either way we're all gonna end up dead/extinct so nothing is permanent and in that sense nothing really matters or has any meaning so just take life as it happens and get as much out of it as you want to now because to the universe you don't even exist for half a heartbeat but that's okay because nothing else exists much longer than that anyway

tl;dr the only permanent thing in the universe is impermanence so be nice to each other
i was raised lds/mormon but my general views don't really match up with any specific religion - i.e. we're all on this weird rock in space and maybe it's for a reason/maybe it's not but either way we're all gonna end up dead/extinct so nothing is permanent and in that sense nothing really matters or has any meaning so just take life as it happens and get as much out of it as you want to now because to the universe you don't even exist for half a heartbeat but that's okay because nothing else exists much longer than that anyway

tl;dr the only permanent thing in the universe is impermanence so be nice to each other
~~~~~~~
my naym is eef
and wen its day
and wen the ywen
is gonne awaye
and all the cats
hav gonn desyrt
i lye on ground
i eet the dirt
~ a vertical line that looks like the side of a speech bubblea pixel of a stone/beige/brown tundra wearing dark cloth and various jewelry ~~check out my code shop!
@WizardofOranges

It depends on the deity. There are millions of them. Lets say it's the abrahamic god. He would have to beg for my forgiveness for the atrocities he has committed and allowed to be committed. And if he was truly sorry and fixed everything then I'd forgive him. But I'd never worship. Now say it was Zeus, I'd beg to get one of those apples to become a god. That would be awesome. If it was Thor and he looked just like Chris Hemsworth all he'd have to do is marry me haha.
@WizardofOranges

It depends on the deity. There are millions of them. Lets say it's the abrahamic god. He would have to beg for my forgiveness for the atrocities he has committed and allowed to be committed. And if he was truly sorry and fixed everything then I'd forgive him. But I'd never worship. Now say it was Zeus, I'd beg to get one of those apples to become a god. That would be awesome. If it was Thor and he looked just like Chris Hemsworth all he'd have to do is marry me haha.
tumblr_inline_nb17n4oppf1qg78ij.png2kxSxyM3.giftumblr_inline_nb17n9a7r91qg78ij.png
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11