Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Religion
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11
Wiccan and proud :3
Wiccan and proud :3
My household is a blend of satanism and heathenism.
My household is a blend of satanism and heathenism.
FGEF3ML.png
Christian, with a rather idiosyncratic take on it that has some things in common with the Liberal Quakers.

I'm studying to be a scientist (astrophysicist!) and I love philosophy and debate and so I've definitely given a lot of thought to my beliefs, and I think the whole story is a bit too long to get into here... but I suppose at its most basic form, I both have personal reasons to believe in a universe-creating intelligence, and I find many things about Christianity in particular to make sense with my own thoughts.

But I sort of reasoned that a lot of the things common in Christian beliefs weren't at all consistent with the most important core. For example, an all-loving God would never sentence people to Hell for all eternity, no matter what the crime. I think that perhaps something akin to Purgatory before Heaven makes sense, but I think that everyone goes to Heaven in the end.

Also, I believe that every living creature has a soul - souls are inherent to life, and the reason that the Scriptures are human-focused is because humans are the most intelligent species on the planet and so best able to use that information. But I just can't believe that souls just HAPPENED to appear in one species of random ape and nothing else...

I also think that souls are literally the presence of the Divine, and so, following from the previous points, every living thing has the Spark of God in them. Hence, all killing of any creature is wrong - only even acceptable in self-defense. I'm a vegetarian in part because of this view - if I had the health for it, I would become a fruitarian, even, so that way I would kill nothing, even for food, as long as I didn't have to to live (which is a form of self-defense).

I could probably go into a lot more detail, but there you go. I love talking about religion with people because, for one, religions and beliefs are just really interesting, and also, I may well be wrong about what I think, so I'm always trying to get more information, more views, more opinions, more perspectives.
Christian, with a rather idiosyncratic take on it that has some things in common with the Liberal Quakers.

I'm studying to be a scientist (astrophysicist!) and I love philosophy and debate and so I've definitely given a lot of thought to my beliefs, and I think the whole story is a bit too long to get into here... but I suppose at its most basic form, I both have personal reasons to believe in a universe-creating intelligence, and I find many things about Christianity in particular to make sense with my own thoughts.

But I sort of reasoned that a lot of the things common in Christian beliefs weren't at all consistent with the most important core. For example, an all-loving God would never sentence people to Hell for all eternity, no matter what the crime. I think that perhaps something akin to Purgatory before Heaven makes sense, but I think that everyone goes to Heaven in the end.

Also, I believe that every living creature has a soul - souls are inherent to life, and the reason that the Scriptures are human-focused is because humans are the most intelligent species on the planet and so best able to use that information. But I just can't believe that souls just HAPPENED to appear in one species of random ape and nothing else...

I also think that souls are literally the presence of the Divine, and so, following from the previous points, every living thing has the Spark of God in them. Hence, all killing of any creature is wrong - only even acceptable in self-defense. I'm a vegetarian in part because of this view - if I had the health for it, I would become a fruitarian, even, so that way I would kill nothing, even for food, as long as I didn't have to to live (which is a form of self-defense).

I could probably go into a lot more detail, but there you go. I love talking about religion with people because, for one, religions and beliefs are just really interesting, and also, I may well be wrong about what I think, so I'm always trying to get more information, more views, more opinions, more perspectives.
r7t2d2.png
I'll fly like a comet, soar like a comet, crash like a comet
I wouldn't call myself a straight-up atheist, probably just a non-believer (mostly I just don't pay attention to it tbh). My family wasn't very religious but I had Christan classes at school and for some time I was a believer, until I eventually got into science and it sounded much better than what I was taught in religious classes (it got even better when I found some articles explaining some bible miracles, I love explanations).
I am tolerant of other pople's religion as long as they are tolerant of me not having one (and I guess I believe in karma to a point).
I wouldn't call myself a straight-up atheist, probably just a non-believer (mostly I just don't pay attention to it tbh). My family wasn't very religious but I had Christan classes at school and for some time I was a believer, until I eventually got into science and it sounded much better than what I was taught in religious classes (it got even better when I found some articles explaining some bible miracles, I love explanations).
I am tolerant of other pople's religion as long as they are tolerant of me not having one (and I guess I believe in karma to a point).
Apathetic Agnostic leaning a little bit towards Kemeticism as well. I was briefly raised Catholic before my mom left the church, and my dad, while also raised Christian, was never religious himself and is also more of an Agnostic.
Apathetic Agnostic leaning a little bit towards Kemeticism as well. I was briefly raised Catholic before my mom left the church, and my dad, while also raised Christian, was never religious himself and is also more of an Agnostic.
lightningshieldl.png ePOliyb.png
Oo1lWlZ.png
QQYyU47.png
gYW0j5f.png
FObX7rS.png
rix3ppo.png
Zeke/KitKat
lightninganim3.gif
6KQB58c.png
G5AOhhN.png
cTFAUOc.png
oaolHwW.png
1AKTlm5.png
qFgWn8o.png
GFMPnvG.png
lightningshieldr.png
i'm agnostic, but i used to have shinto beliefs when i was young. there are a few of them i still retain, but for the sake of simplicity since i now reside in the united states, i say agnostic.
i love learning about religions, although it's not something i personally look into very often.
i'm agnostic, but i used to have shinto beliefs when i was young. there are a few of them i still retain, but for the sake of simplicity since i now reside in the united states, i say agnostic.
i love learning about religions, although it's not something i personally look into very often.
Tarnished Cerdae Necklace she/they
fr+1
I'm Christian, very heavily Gnostic-leaning. Gnosticism has appealed to me since I first learned about it in a Christian Traditions course that I took as an undergraduate, during a period where I was trying to build my faith.

I've researched and tried many different religions, Christian and otherwise, and this is honestly the only one where I feel at home. Like, nearly everything I've read about it just fits so neatly and makes sense to me and it doesn't feel like I'm forcing myself to believe it; it's coming naturally. Even the stuff I don't agree with can be explained differently without calling something else into question.

I'm really, really glad I took that Christian Traditions class and discovered it, even if it took me several years to realize it was where I belonged.
I'm Christian, very heavily Gnostic-leaning. Gnosticism has appealed to me since I first learned about it in a Christian Traditions course that I took as an undergraduate, during a period where I was trying to build my faith.

I've researched and tried many different religions, Christian and otherwise, and this is honestly the only one where I feel at home. Like, nearly everything I've read about it just fits so neatly and makes sense to me and it doesn't feel like I'm forcing myself to believe it; it's coming naturally. Even the stuff I don't agree with can be explained differently without calling something else into question.

I'm really, really glad I took that Christian Traditions class and discovered it, even if it took me several years to realize it was where I belonged.
"I truly am a thing! Them be bushes, those are also things. I'm currently standing on the ground which, believe it or not, is also a thing. And behind me is the sky...oh yeah, that's a thing, too!" -Raocow
@MoonOcarina

Leviticus 20:13

"'If a man has (intercourse, I'm not sure if the S word is allowed lol)) relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

Also He hates shaving for some reason.

Leviticus 19:27

"'Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard."

Some of my twink friends are in for some real trouble haha.
@MoonOcarina

Leviticus 20:13

"'If a man has (intercourse, I'm not sure if the S word is allowed lol)) relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

Also He hates shaving for some reason.

Leviticus 19:27

"'Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard."

Some of my twink friends are in for some real trouble haha.
tumblr_inline_nb17n4oppf1qg78ij.png2kxSxyM3.giftumblr_inline_nb17n9a7r91qg78ij.png
@Zenikay

Yeah, Satan just seems a lot more level headed to me. Of course I don't believe in either of their existence. And I'm going into biological engineering and I believe biological immortality should be an easy feat to achieve. The only issue is that the process in which I would achieve it (extending the telomeres) would increase the chance of rapid cancerous growth. But I've already figured out how to cure cancer. All I'd have to do is modify a flesh eating bacteria to where it does not eat human tissue except the cancer. That would only take around a year to develop if I just kind of play God myself and use controlled natural selection.
@Zenikay

Yeah, Satan just seems a lot more level headed to me. Of course I don't believe in either of their existence. And I'm going into biological engineering and I believe biological immortality should be an easy feat to achieve. The only issue is that the process in which I would achieve it (extending the telomeres) would increase the chance of rapid cancerous growth. But I've already figured out how to cure cancer. All I'd have to do is modify a flesh eating bacteria to where it does not eat human tissue except the cancer. That would only take around a year to develop if I just kind of play God myself and use controlled natural selection.
tumblr_inline_nb17n4oppf1qg78ij.png2kxSxyM3.giftumblr_inline_nb17n9a7r91qg78ij.png
I'm a budding pagan who worships in the Roman pantheon. I was raised as an atheist, but since I took up witchcraft (yes, literal witchcraft) I've become a polytheistic pagan.
My belief is that my deities didn't create the world, and they don't control it. They're more like representatives in some cosmic Congress, each vying for the benefits for their domain. They portion out power.
And, as a witch and pagan, Wicca makes me ultra uncomfortable. Why?
Well, one, I reject traditional, organized religion. I feel that it swiftly becomes a tool of control. Two, ninety percent of Wiccans have no idea what they're doing. They don't know who founded Wicca, they don't know what it means, they're completely ignorant to their own religion! It's astounding, but trust me. I've spent enough time muddling about in the craft to see it.
Furthermore, Wiccans assume all witches, and definitely all pagans, are Wicca. I'm not, and I'm somewhat offended that I should be perceived as such. They try to force their belief system onto other witches, specifically the God and Goddess, the four elements, and the Threefold Law. They force everything into two rigid genders, in which the feminine is passive and weak! It's toxic! The elements just squick me as a scientist who can clearly see there are over a hundred pure elements. And the Threefold Law...where do I begin?
Witchcraft is subjective, and I should not be attacked for doing curses by other witches!
Anyways, that's my little pagan rant.
Edit: It is not over.
I remembered another thing I hate.
I worship the Roman pantheon right? Well, the first question I get is "oh, so that's pretty similar to Greek myth right?"
No. Not at all.
There are several figures that appear in both Greek and Roman religions, but what polytheistic religion doesn't have a sky god, a water god, etc.?
Furthermore, the Greeks focus more intently on heros, and written myths and tales.
The Romans have tons more minor deities, that are some of my favorites. For example, Mellona. Who is Mellona? Goddess of bees and honey.
Yeah. Bees and honey.
Is there a Hellenistic goddess of bees? Nah. Nah nah.
The Romans have twelve or thirteen gods of childhood, from conception to first words. They have thirteen (I think thirteen) different gods of different tasks of agriculture. The Romans also have an abundance of symbolic gods of virtue, like a goddess of truth. There are many of these gods, and they are often featured on Roman coins.
And further, the Roman gods are gods of many aspects, as they're called. Take Fortuna, the goddess of luck, for example. She has many, many aspects. An aspect of the fortune of the day, and aspect for personal wealth, all kinds of aspects. Aspects are essentially different appearance devoted to more specific pieces of a god's domain.
The Roman pantheon is not Hellenistic. I don't hate Hellenistic pagans, no way, but just geez. It ain't the same.
I'm a budding pagan who worships in the Roman pantheon. I was raised as an atheist, but since I took up witchcraft (yes, literal witchcraft) I've become a polytheistic pagan.
My belief is that my deities didn't create the world, and they don't control it. They're more like representatives in some cosmic Congress, each vying for the benefits for their domain. They portion out power.
And, as a witch and pagan, Wicca makes me ultra uncomfortable. Why?
Well, one, I reject traditional, organized religion. I feel that it swiftly becomes a tool of control. Two, ninety percent of Wiccans have no idea what they're doing. They don't know who founded Wicca, they don't know what it means, they're completely ignorant to their own religion! It's astounding, but trust me. I've spent enough time muddling about in the craft to see it.
Furthermore, Wiccans assume all witches, and definitely all pagans, are Wicca. I'm not, and I'm somewhat offended that I should be perceived as such. They try to force their belief system onto other witches, specifically the God and Goddess, the four elements, and the Threefold Law. They force everything into two rigid genders, in which the feminine is passive and weak! It's toxic! The elements just squick me as a scientist who can clearly see there are over a hundred pure elements. And the Threefold Law...where do I begin?
Witchcraft is subjective, and I should not be attacked for doing curses by other witches!
Anyways, that's my little pagan rant.
Edit: It is not over.
I remembered another thing I hate.
I worship the Roman pantheon right? Well, the first question I get is "oh, so that's pretty similar to Greek myth right?"
No. Not at all.
There are several figures that appear in both Greek and Roman religions, but what polytheistic religion doesn't have a sky god, a water god, etc.?
Furthermore, the Greeks focus more intently on heros, and written myths and tales.
The Romans have tons more minor deities, that are some of my favorites. For example, Mellona. Who is Mellona? Goddess of bees and honey.
Yeah. Bees and honey.
Is there a Hellenistic goddess of bees? Nah. Nah nah.
The Romans have twelve or thirteen gods of childhood, from conception to first words. They have thirteen (I think thirteen) different gods of different tasks of agriculture. The Romans also have an abundance of symbolic gods of virtue, like a goddess of truth. There are many of these gods, and they are often featured on Roman coins.
And further, the Roman gods are gods of many aspects, as they're called. Take Fortuna, the goddess of luck, for example. She has many, many aspects. An aspect of the fortune of the day, and aspect for personal wealth, all kinds of aspects. Aspects are essentially different appearance devoted to more specific pieces of a god's domain.
The Roman pantheon is not Hellenistic. I don't hate Hellenistic pagans, no way, but just geez. It ain't the same.
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11