Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | art tips
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
[quote name="Gubyub" date="2024-02-20 15:17:48" ] General art tip: Whatever it's called on yours, "Correction" or something like that, don't use it for sketch layers. Just doesn't seem right, and looks a bit more exact to what it feels like you're drawing anyway if you don't. Idk for anyone else though; I gotta put up with pen delay, which already makes drawing with it feel weird :/ [/quote] Sorry to post on here, & I'll delete it if you want, but the delay might be due to a maxed-out Stabilization setting. I've noticed a delay when I set Stabilization really high on FireAlpaca. Edit: My bad! I didn't realize it was called that on your program ^_^;
Gubyub wrote on 2024-02-20 15:17:48:
General art tip:

Whatever it's called on yours, "Correction" or something like that, don't use it for sketch layers. Just doesn't seem right, and looks a bit more exact to what it feels like you're drawing anyway if you don't.
Idk for anyone else though; I gotta put up with pen delay, which already makes drawing with it feel weird :/

Sorry to post on here, & I'll delete it if you want, but the delay might be due to a maxed-out Stabilization setting. I've noticed a delay when I set Stabilization really high on FireAlpaca.

Edit: My bad! I didn't realize it was called that on your program ^_^;
FObX7rS.png
q9EEy5M.png
o9yS1eq.png
ll0CfnD.png
YMPbu9R.png

oR9L7e0.png(image-heavy)
(Thing Gubyub Fwend wanted me to put here :D) You seem to understand where to put shadows. I think you just need to put more of them. I did a sketch to help. I'm not the best at explaining. Shadows - basic shadows using multiply layer and method we talked about yesterday. Night - Multiply layer of the blue background Moon - Overlay layer of moon shinnies Extra moon - overlay layer of extra moon shines to make them extra bright. You can do more layers of shadows too (similar to my extra moon but shadow). [img]https://i.imgur.com/4qd4tiP.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/h4tSsI7.jpg[/img]
(Thing Gubyub Fwend wanted me to put here :D)

You seem to understand where to put shadows. I think you just need to put more of them. I did a sketch to help. I'm not the best at explaining.

Shadows - basic shadows using multiply layer and method we talked about yesterday.
Night - Multiply layer of the blue background
Moon - Overlay layer of moon shinnies
Extra moon - overlay layer of extra moon shines to make them extra bright.

You can do more layers of shadows too (similar to my extra moon but shadow).
4qd4tiP.png
h4tSsI7.jpg
USC9NS4.png
@Tagondramer

I'm fine with anyone posting here; I make these so I remember them, so tips from people who do this more often are always appreciated and more helpful anyway.

I'll try to look around for something like that; the smooth-movement setting is called "correction" with a dropdown menu, but there might be something else in the settings that I just haven't found yet :/
@MothDeer0v0
thank you :3
@Tagondramer

I'm fine with anyone posting here; I make these so I remember them, so tips from people who do this more often are always appreciated and more helpful anyway.

I'll try to look around for something like that; the smooth-movement setting is called "correction" with a dropdown menu, but there might be something else in the settings that I just haven't found yet :/
@MothDeer0v0
thank you :3
yo4X8PV.pngPsfjTx4.png

rM33C9P.png0304941-D-23-B9-407-C-925-C-1-A4-DDF7-D58-B6.gif
Added to what's above^:

I just downloaded firealpaca and it works fine. I think it's just the pen :/
Added to what's above^:

I just downloaded firealpaca and it works fine. I think it's just the pen :/
yo4X8PV.pngPsfjTx4.png

(Totally forgot to put this in here after asking to do so -_-) With lighter colors, the light isn't as noticeable, but the shadows are. With darker colors, the shadow isn't as noticeable, but the lights are. (I also think you go a bit more orange with the shadows if you want) White - where to go for light Black - where to go for shadows Red - Probably wouldn't go past that point for this color. (The light might be too green and look funny. The shadows might be too dark) [img]https://i.imgur.com/oPYS0fS.jpg[/img] Layer 7 - shadows on multiply (100% Opacity) Layer 8 - light on overlay (100% Opacity) Layer 6 - flat color (100% Opacity) [img]https://i.imgur.com/NrMMRwy.png[/img] Layer 9 - shadows on overlay (100% Opacity) [img]https://i.imgur.com/KO5IxSf.png[/img] (Another tip from my friend, btw)
(Totally forgot to put this in here after asking to do so -_-)

With lighter colors, the light isn't as noticeable, but the shadows are.
With darker colors, the shadow isn't as noticeable, but the lights are.
(I also think you go a bit more orange with the shadows if you want)

White - where to go for light
Black - where to go for shadows
Red - Probably wouldn't go past that point for this color.
(The light might be too green and look funny. The shadows might be too dark)
oPYS0fS.jpg

Layer 7 - shadows on multiply (100% Opacity)
Layer 8 - light on overlay (100% Opacity)
Layer 6 - flat color (100% Opacity)

NrMMRwy.png

Layer 9 - shadows on overlay (100% Opacity)

KO5IxSf.png

(Another tip from my friend, btw)
yo4X8PV.pngPsfjTx4.png

(Another tip from my fwend) 1. Start with the darkest green you want and make a shape with your brush 2. On 50ish % opacity go over the moss with a lighter green. Make it more vibrant where the light is. 3. Basically the same process as 2. just with a yellowy green 4. Add a greenish yellow (50ish % opacity on brush) to the parts where the light hits. You can also add flowers or mushrooms to make it a little more detailed. 5. Add a multiply layer. With a teal / blueish green go over the shadow areas (50ish % opacity on brush) Put the multiply layer around 50% opacity Add on overlay layer. Use a yellowy color and put it in the light spots (50ish % opacity on brush) Put the overlay layer around 50% opacity Step 5 is really just extra stuff you can do. It still looks like moss on step 4 Lowering your brush opacity helps the colors match a bit. It also allows for more control on how much you want an area to be that color. :P [img]https://i.imgur.com/nQFXSNi.png[/img]
(Another tip from my fwend)

1. Start with the darkest green you want and make a shape with your brush

2. On 50ish % opacity go over the moss with a lighter green. Make it more vibrant where the light is.

3. Basically the same process as 2. just with a yellowy green

4. Add a greenish yellow (50ish % opacity on brush) to the parts where the light hits. You can also add flowers or mushrooms to make it a little more detailed.

5. Add a multiply layer. With a teal / blueish green go over the shadow areas (50ish % opacity on brush)
Put the multiply layer around 50% opacity

Add on overlay layer. Use a yellowy color and put it in the light spots (50ish % opacity on brush)
Put the overlay layer around 50% opacity

Step 5 is really just extra stuff you can do. It still looks like moss on step 4
Lowering your brush opacity helps the colors match a bit. It also allows for more control on how much you want an area to be that color. :P

nQFXSNi.png
yo4X8PV.pngPsfjTx4.png

Digital art tip:

Bigger-sized airbrush, less opacity.
(I think. Can't remember if it was swapped atm)
Digital art tip:

Bigger-sized airbrush, less opacity.
(I think. Can't remember if it was swapped atm)
yo4X8PV.pngPsfjTx4.png

Digital art tip:

Blur is both good for up-close stuff; also good when at high opacity, but smol size.
Digital art tip:

Blur is both good for up-close stuff; also good when at high opacity, but smol size.
yo4X8PV.pngPsfjTx4.png

[center][img]https://i.imgur.com/5RAxsUz.png[/img] Good for stuff like aurora borealis(had a hard time trying to do that when making a possible skin/accent for Crystalline Gala -_-)[/center]
5RAxsUz.png
Good for stuff like aurora borealis(had a hard time trying to do that when making a possible skin/accent for Crystalline Gala -_-)
yo4X8PV.pngPsfjTx4.png

@Art tips
Also to anybody who's either subbed to the thread or just sees this:

Anyone's completely fine with adding tips and such, by the way! Not saying this because I haven't really seen much, but more-so 'cause it just seemed like to me that ppl may not think they can :/

It's perfectly fine! The whole point of the thread is to put in helpful drawing tips and such for folks who need 'em(like me lol) so if you're one of those awesome dudes who can draw super well and have tips to offer, share if you want! I'd be grateful at least -_-
@Art tips
Also to anybody who's either subbed to the thread or just sees this:

Anyone's completely fine with adding tips and such, by the way! Not saying this because I haven't really seen much, but more-so 'cause it just seemed like to me that ppl may not think they can :/

It's perfectly fine! The whole point of the thread is to put in helpful drawing tips and such for folks who need 'em(like me lol) so if you're one of those awesome dudes who can draw super well and have tips to offer, share if you want! I'd be grateful at least -_-
yo4X8PV.pngPsfjTx4.png

1 2 3 4 5 6 7