Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | art tips
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
General art tip:

Try using much bigger sizes for the Airbrush. It can help a lot with lighting(on the assumption you're doing it right -_-)

also: please be careful with it, specifically with the opacity.
General art tip:

Try using much bigger sizes for the Airbrush. It can help a lot with lighting(on the assumption you're doing it right -_-)

also: please be careful with it, specifically with the opacity.
yo4X8PV.pngPsfjTx4.png

rM33C9P.png0304941-D-23-B9-407-C-925-C-1-A4-DDF7-D58-B6.gif
General art tip: the setting "Screen"(whatever that is. I only know it's in Gimp") is really good for drawing shine. [img]https://imgur.com/tDP1kT7.png[/img]
General art tip:

the setting "Screen"(whatever that is. I only know it's in Gimp") is really good for drawing shine.

tDP1kT7.png
yo4X8PV.pngPsfjTx4.png

Will hopefully change this one later, but for now, Krita sucks. Doesn't even have smooth stroke and the ink keeps disappearing >:(
Will hopefully change this one later, but for now, Krita sucks. Doesn't even have smooth stroke and the ink keeps disappearing >:(
yo4X8PV.pngPsfjTx4.png

General art tip:

Lighting and shading is really good at 20% opacity.
General art tip:

Lighting and shading is really good at 20% opacity.
yo4X8PV.pngPsfjTx4.png

General art tip:

Using the eraser at, like, 50% opacity is really good for shading, along with overlapping lines.
General art tip:

Using the eraser at, like, 50% opacity is really good for shading, along with overlapping lines.
yo4X8PV.pngPsfjTx4.png

Ok, I know there are ppl subbed to the pinglist I made. Are these actually getting out, or do I need to do something for everyone to see it? I just feel bad if no one's getting these even though they're on the list :l
Ok, I know there are ppl subbed to the pinglist I made. Are these actually getting out, or do I need to do something for everyone to see it? I just feel bad if no one's getting these even though they're on the list :l
yo4X8PV.pngPsfjTx4.png

@Gubyub
If you click on the pinglist's name, you can see the @ command used to ping everyone on it.

But if people want to be notified every time there's a new post on this thread, they can hit the star at the top right (of this thread), too.
@Gubyub
If you click on the pinglist's name, you can see the @ command used to ping everyone on it.

But if people want to be notified every time there's a new post on this thread, they can hit the star at the top right (of this thread), too.
Dragons for sale: 17487.png Renting your nests: 745.png otakuderp13-1.png
@Gubyub using different layer modes (You used one already- "Screen"!) can help you get interesting effects and interactions between the colors

The ones I use often are these:

Multiply - Good for adding a darker color (people use this a lot for shading)

Linear Burn - Not every program has this one, but its good for also adding shading. For this and multiply you should use a fairly light color to shade with, especially if you're shading something dark

Color Dodge - This is one of my favorites :] i use it for highlights all the time. For using this layer mode, I usually use a very dark brown, and it gives me a nice rich highlight. It's a lot like screen, but it calculates the colors a little bit differently. It's a little complicated to try and explain the difference, but over time youll get a feel for when each is appropriate :] Color dodge might also be missing some from programs. Linear Dodge is not the same thing, but it can give a similar effect!

These, I find, are the most fundamental ones for most people who are starting to fiddle around with digital art, try noodling around and see what you can do with them :]! the best thing you can do is experiment, dont be afraid to search around your program, open up all of the little menus, theyre usually packed with useful stuff that people forgo cuz they just dont know about it!

ALSO significant for layer usage- CLIPPING MASKS!
You can Clip a layer to another layer or alpha lock a layer to make it so you dont draw outside of the opacity that already exists- there are different ways to do this depending on the program youre using, but a safe bet is usually to right click the layer and look at the menu that comes up (there are also SEVERAL useful things on these!) and see if it has a "Clip to layer below" ("Merge" to layer below will, as it says, merge your layers. This is typically not ideal LOL but again, can be useful circumstantially) Try that with some layer modes above it, and see if it helps you understand better :]

Alpha lock is similar, but it locks the opacity of a single layer. It usually looks like a little checkerboard icon with a lock on it, and it usually hangs out in the "Layer" menu around the top (or where the other buttons are, theres usually a lock, to lock the layer so you cant modify it anymore but can still see it, and theres also sometimes an eye at the top that turns on / off all of the layers. it can really vary by program!)

Also- just a tip, after you sketch, turn down your sketch layers opacity to like 20-30% :] not only does this make it a Lot easier to line, but it also makes it so you can't draw on the wrong layer without knowing (the color will look strange)
if you still struggle, after you finish a layer you can put an *extra* blank layer between the layers youre working on, so you don't accidentally merge them, but i find this can clutter my layers kind of fast! depends on who you are :]

i hope something in here is at least a little helpful!!

Good luck!!

Edit:
okay p.s. i cannot resist saying- it might be a little bit advanced for where youre at right now, but the lasso tool in combination with the airbrush is extremely powerful if you can learn how to use it right :] dont let this trip you up if youre finding its more difficult than what youre doing right now, but if youre struggling with controlling your airbrush a lasso tool could help!
@Gubyub using different layer modes (You used one already- "Screen"!) can help you get interesting effects and interactions between the colors

The ones I use often are these:

Multiply - Good for adding a darker color (people use this a lot for shading)

Linear Burn - Not every program has this one, but its good for also adding shading. For this and multiply you should use a fairly light color to shade with, especially if you're shading something dark

Color Dodge - This is one of my favorites :] i use it for highlights all the time. For using this layer mode, I usually use a very dark brown, and it gives me a nice rich highlight. It's a lot like screen, but it calculates the colors a little bit differently. It's a little complicated to try and explain the difference, but over time youll get a feel for when each is appropriate :] Color dodge might also be missing some from programs. Linear Dodge is not the same thing, but it can give a similar effect!

These, I find, are the most fundamental ones for most people who are starting to fiddle around with digital art, try noodling around and see what you can do with them :]! the best thing you can do is experiment, dont be afraid to search around your program, open up all of the little menus, theyre usually packed with useful stuff that people forgo cuz they just dont know about it!

ALSO significant for layer usage- CLIPPING MASKS!
You can Clip a layer to another layer or alpha lock a layer to make it so you dont draw outside of the opacity that already exists- there are different ways to do this depending on the program youre using, but a safe bet is usually to right click the layer and look at the menu that comes up (there are also SEVERAL useful things on these!) and see if it has a "Clip to layer below" ("Merge" to layer below will, as it says, merge your layers. This is typically not ideal LOL but again, can be useful circumstantially) Try that with some layer modes above it, and see if it helps you understand better :]

Alpha lock is similar, but it locks the opacity of a single layer. It usually looks like a little checkerboard icon with a lock on it, and it usually hangs out in the "Layer" menu around the top (or where the other buttons are, theres usually a lock, to lock the layer so you cant modify it anymore but can still see it, and theres also sometimes an eye at the top that turns on / off all of the layers. it can really vary by program!)

Also- just a tip, after you sketch, turn down your sketch layers opacity to like 20-30% :] not only does this make it a Lot easier to line, but it also makes it so you can't draw on the wrong layer without knowing (the color will look strange)
if you still struggle, after you finish a layer you can put an *extra* blank layer between the layers youre working on, so you don't accidentally merge them, but i find this can clutter my layers kind of fast! depends on who you are :]

i hope something in here is at least a little helpful!!

Good luck!!

Edit:
okay p.s. i cannot resist saying- it might be a little bit advanced for where youre at right now, but the lasso tool in combination with the airbrush is extremely powerful if you can learn how to use it right :] dont let this trip you up if youre finding its more difficult than what youre doing right now, but if youre struggling with controlling your airbrush a lasso tool could help!
Statues! Click to help make more!
@otakuderp13
Thanks for letting me know! I was just curious since there are subscribers but no one posted anything :l
@vehemourn
I have used Multiply! everytime I've used it as an entire layer kinda thing(instead of just when I use a certain brush) the whole thing disappears.
Color dodge is pretty random to me, but I'll try to take your advice!
Clipping masks and Alpha have been jerks >:( But I'm still learning.
I don't know how to set the entire sketch to a different opacity, unless you meant something like erasing it but the eraser isn't fully opaque.

Also: I don't have a lasso tool. I at least haven't found it; I use Gimp. Thanks for the tips!
@otakuderp13
Thanks for letting me know! I was just curious since there are subscribers but no one posted anything :l
@vehemourn
I have used Multiply! everytime I've used it as an entire layer kinda thing(instead of just when I use a certain brush) the whole thing disappears.
Color dodge is pretty random to me, but I'll try to take your advice!
Clipping masks and Alpha have been jerks >:( But I'm still learning.
I don't know how to set the entire sketch to a different opacity, unless you meant something like erasing it but the eraser isn't fully opaque.

Also: I don't have a lasso tool. I at least haven't found it; I use Gimp. Thanks for the tips!
yo4X8PV.pngPsfjTx4.png

@Gubyub Ahh! I understand! You must have been using a *brush* mode for screen, which is still cool and useful! They'll only draw on pixels that already exist :] If you set a layer to multiply, it needs something underneath it to multiply against! [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1179920820605309019/1190371752560300042/image.png[/img] it is a little bit complicated to explain, but it makes a lot more sense in practice. I'm using a different program, I havent used GIMP in a REALLY long time, i know it has layer modes and I know it has selection tools but i Dont remember if theyre any good :,3 That being said, when I last used it (years and years ago, so it might have changed by now) The layers panel was on the right side of the screen :] Maybe not in the bottom like mine is? But typically theyre on the right side, and they usually have sliders from 1-100 (or 0-255 on some programs) to change the opacity! In some programs you have to double click or right click the layer to get the menu to come up, but every program except mspaint has controllable layers with opacity you can control and Most art programs have some kind of layer mode (which will also be on the Layers Panel) I dont think this comment will be very helpful now, but I think maybe it will be a little bit of a more useful reference once you discover everything about your program! I am very sorry if I confused you further by giving you unnecessary information :] Good luck still!!! i am so so cheering for u!
@Gubyub Ahh! I understand! You must have been using a *brush* mode for screen, which is still cool and useful! They'll only draw on pixels that already exist :]
If you set a layer to multiply, it needs something underneath it to multiply against!

image.png

it is a little bit complicated to explain, but it makes a lot more sense in practice. I'm using a different program, I havent used GIMP in a REALLY long time, i know it has layer modes and I know it has selection tools but i Dont remember if theyre any good :,3

That being said, when I last used it (years and years ago, so it might have changed by now) The layers panel was on the right side of the screen :] Maybe not in the bottom like mine is? But typically theyre on the right side, and they usually have sliders from 1-100 (or 0-255 on some programs) to change the opacity! In some programs you have to double click or right click the layer to get the menu to come up, but every program except mspaint has controllable layers with opacity you can control and Most art programs have some kind of layer mode (which will also be on the Layers Panel)

I dont think this comment will be very helpful now, but I think maybe it will be a little bit of a more useful reference once you discover everything about your program! I am very sorry if I confused you further by giving you unnecessary information :] Good luck still!!! i am so so cheering for u!
Statues! Click to help make more!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7