Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Imgur chaos
1 2 3 4 5
[quote name="000000" date="2023-05-15 13:47:24" ] Just a reminder, guys, Imgur has terms against being used as an image host for other websites. This has been the case for years, and is why I stopped using them to host my stuff a long time ago. Right now they may only be planning to delete anonymously uploaded images, but I doubt you're safe using them indefinitely. Discord is also not an image host, and I would do some research and find an actual host rather than use them, because I'm sure they'll eventually crack down on this behavior too. And back up your images! Nothing on the internet lasts forever. Edit: Sources [img]https://images.plurk.com/7zLUn0smV4wGzoCEyQzZLk.png[/img] [img]https://images.plurk.com/6coKBycZi0zyB3JANgNbVz.png[/img] [/quote] while I do agree that one should always keep their backups and should be skeptical of imgur going into the future, I think this part of their terms is being misunderstood. they do not care about individuals using it to host images in dragon bios/etc. by "content for your website" I'm fairly confident they mean commercial use or otherwise as a website owner/administrator, not a random user from elsewhere who wants to embed gifs wherever. uploading anything for FR as a user is not against their terms, FR would be considered a "forum" in this case; [url=https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003264766-FAQ-for-Forum-Users-]they have an FAQ specifically for forum users[/url], so if anyones using imgur to host no, you're not in danger of a ban or anything!
000000 wrote on 2023-05-15 13:47:24:
Just a reminder, guys, Imgur has terms against being used as an image host for other websites. This has been the case for years, and is why I stopped using them to host my stuff a long time ago. Right now they may only be planning to delete anonymously uploaded images, but I doubt you're safe using them indefinitely.

Discord is also not an image host, and I would do some research and find an actual host rather than use them, because I'm sure they'll eventually crack down on this behavior too. And back up your images! Nothing on the internet lasts forever.

Edit:

Sources

7zLUn0smV4wGzoCEyQzZLk.png

6coKBycZi0zyB3JANgNbVz.png
while I do agree that one should always keep their backups and should be skeptical of imgur going into the future, I think this part of their terms is being misunderstood. they do not care about individuals using it to host images in dragon bios/etc. by "content for your website" I'm fairly confident they mean commercial use or otherwise as a website owner/administrator, not a random user from elsewhere who wants to embed gifs wherever. uploading anything for FR as a user is not against their terms, FR would be considered a "forum" in this case; they have an FAQ specifically for forum users, so if anyones using imgur to host no, you're not in danger of a ban or anything!
KHUgIpL.gif sMnKARY.png fK5z2eq.gif
[quote name="RheoTastic" date="2023-05-15 14:16:33" ] while I do agree that one should always keep their backups and should be skeptical of imgur going into the future, I think this part of their terms is being misunderstood. they do not care about individuals using it to host images in dragon bios/etc. by "content for your website" I'm fairly confident they mean commercial use or otherwise as a website owner/administrator, not a random user from elsewhere who wants to embed gifs wherever. uploading anything for FR as a user is not against their terms, FR would be considered a "forum" in this case; [url=https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003264766-FAQ-for-Forum-Users-]they have an FAQ specifically for forum users[/url], so if anyones using imgur to host no, you're not in danger of a ban or anything! [/quote] To add to this: Dappervolk actually ran into this issue. Shortly after launch (I can't remember if it was within the first month or two), imgur links suddenly stopped working on the forums after having been fine for weeks. Turns out the DV owners/devs were hosting some of their site images on imgur, and so imgur blocked the site completely. DV resolved the issue fairly quickly and now you can link images on imgur just fine on the DV forums. So yeah, that's what imgur means when it says it doesn't want their site to be used as a content delivery network. If you own a website, then host your content on your own servers, don't use imgur to do that for you.
RheoTastic wrote on 2023-05-15 14:16:33:
while I do agree that one should always keep their backups and should be skeptical of imgur going into the future, I think this part of their terms is being misunderstood. they do not care about individuals using it to host images in dragon bios/etc. by "content for your website" I'm fairly confident they mean commercial use or otherwise as a website owner/administrator, not a random user from elsewhere who wants to embed gifs wherever. uploading anything for FR as a user is not against their terms, FR would be considered a "forum" in this case; they have an FAQ specifically for forum users, so if anyones using imgur to host no, you're not in danger of a ban or anything!

To add to this: Dappervolk actually ran into this issue.

Shortly after launch (I can't remember if it was within the first month or two), imgur links suddenly stopped working on the forums after having been fine for weeks.

Turns out the DV owners/devs were hosting some of their site images on imgur, and so imgur blocked the site completely. DV resolved the issue fairly quickly and now you can link images on imgur just fine on the DV forums.

So yeah, that's what imgur means when it says it doesn't want their site to be used as a content delivery network. If you own a website, then host your content on your own servers, don't use imgur to do that for you.
YrlvOd9.pngQ47Y0lm.png
I think all of my badges are safe surprisingly, I haven't looked through all of my art, but I do try to save the images myself, and post only to an account on imgur...
I think all of my badges are safe surprisingly, I haven't looked through all of my art, but I do try to save the images myself, and post only to an account on imgur...
art of a yellow winged cat standing on a book, linking to the thread the badge was froma fake item ribbon with trans and rainbow flag colors linking to a thread with more ribbons/art of a traveling Light flight Spiral dragon linking to the artist
Afaik all my stuff is on an account so i… should be fine? I’ll need to check my bios and everything later
Afaik all my stuff is on an account so i… should be fine? I’ll need to check my bios and everything later
giphy.gifp74ovv7.gifmFaXmCJ.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

G1 sales

p74ovv7.gif

art shop banner
KkcUijP.png
old wc adopt gif
giphy.gif

Lewis link and G1 sales
goVYTQR.pngRsZjiBd.png

ghost hatchlings
TwEcIUG.png[/url] Ae0MsB2.png

Wishlist

B3w2s5h.jpg

Pixel Pearls

giphy.gif

SCP hatchery
1g9awbL.png
Click for Don't Starve/FR commissions! [TEMP CLOSED] (Casual collector of 6 digit dergs!)
vWYFQtR.png

wHRV9DG.jpg[/indent]
So far all of my dragon bio's are fine. Just in case, I did back up all of the images I'm using.
So far all of my dragon bio's are fine. Just in case, I did back up all of the images I'm using.
Screenshot-2023-10-27-215640.png 53.png Leviathan Hunters
53.png Emotional Support Dragons
53.png Chichi's Leveling Service
Imgur images are breaking for me on the regular because of my VPN.

If a lot of images are breaking for you across the site, try disabling any proxy services you might be using. If you aren't using one, go to imgur directly to see if anything loads there, it may be an issue with your IP address that they can resolve.
Imgur images are breaking for me on the regular because of my VPN.

If a lot of images are breaking for you across the site, try disabling any proxy services you might be using. If you aren't using one, go to imgur directly to see if anything loads there, it may be an issue with your IP address that they can resolve.
33352.png U65gRpm.png EP9270D.png 33351.png
So far I'm good... hm
So far I'm good... hm
i6v47.gif ART SHOP! | Fandragons! | Wishlist85e4x.gifpO3j8.gifuTmxz.gifA8v8R.gif
1 2 3 4 5