Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Monarch
1 2 3
I really, really, like this gene. It's pretty great, but there has been something bugging me about Monarch in female Aethers and I can't quite get my head around how the design overlaps itself. I'm not a professional designer by any stretch and I really like the pose of the female Aether. I don't have any suggestions or am even able to fathom how it could have been done differently. But it just really throws everything off, and my eye is just immediately drawn to that spot. Does anyone else get an uncomfortable feeling from the overlap? Am I being weird? It's not so bad when in a light color. [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=85&bodygene=153&breed=22&element=6&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=85&tertgene=140&winggene=164&wings=85&auth=243c84579fe945f8e553d1ce84cb6f10787a6615&dummyext=prev.png[/img] but in darker shades [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=72&bodygene=153&breed=22&element=6&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=121&tertgene=140&winggene=164&wings=72&auth=77f574c28df593a4ed0661c09a9d2873bf9db69a&dummyext=prev.png[/img] It's both difficult to see and distracting at the same time. Because it doesn't fit and yet it still kinda blends in.
I really, really, like this gene. It's pretty great, but there has been something bugging me about Monarch in female Aethers and I can't quite get my head around how the design overlaps itself.

I'm not a professional designer by any stretch and I really like the pose of the female Aether.

I don't have any suggestions or am even able to fathom how it could have been done differently. But it just really throws everything off, and my eye is just immediately drawn to that spot.

Does anyone else get an uncomfortable feeling from the overlap? Am I being weird?

It's not so bad when in a light color.
dragon?age=1&body=85&bodygene=153&breed=22&element=6&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=85&tertgene=140&winggene=164&wings=85&auth=243c84579fe945f8e553d1ce84cb6f10787a6615&dummyext=prev.png

but in darker shades
dragon?age=1&body=72&bodygene=153&breed=22&element=6&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=121&tertgene=140&winggene=164&wings=72&auth=77f574c28df593a4ed0661c09a9d2873bf9db69a&dummyext=prev.png

It's both difficult to see and distracting at the same time. Because it doesn't fit and yet it still kinda blends in.
I do not see what overlap you're talking about? So, I guess no, it doesn't make me feel uncomfortable or anything
I do not see what overlap you're talking about? So, I guess no, it doesn't make me feel uncomfortable or anything
mlHpBMC.png
9hqcHsy.png
ZxAR91S.png
HkZAJYc.png
watervs1.pngHbzShnh.pngmbWgKmD.pngwatershieldr.png
I noticed this as well, and I think it has something to do with the relative abundance of detail given to the lower wings. The bottom-left corner is VERY busy and the lower wings are given a unique point that the upper wings don't have. This in itself is really weird because nature has taught me that the front wings are the big, dominant wings. That point makes them seem even larger than the top wings, though. Combining that with the fact that the bottom-left becomes a VERY visually-busy spot whilst the rest of the image retains a more open, less-busy space... it's just a whole lot of imbalance. It's not the worst thing ever but it does make me scrunch my eyes a little whenever I see it.

Edit: Misread the post. The overlap doesn't strike me as too bothersome, but the outline of the tail monarch bits and the upper wing monarch bits does become REALLY hard to see. It might as well be one big blob of color in darker shades.
I noticed this as well, and I think it has something to do with the relative abundance of detail given to the lower wings. The bottom-left corner is VERY busy and the lower wings are given a unique point that the upper wings don't have. This in itself is really weird because nature has taught me that the front wings are the big, dominant wings. That point makes them seem even larger than the top wings, though. Combining that with the fact that the bottom-left becomes a VERY visually-busy spot whilst the rest of the image retains a more open, less-busy space... it's just a whole lot of imbalance. It's not the worst thing ever but it does make me scrunch my eyes a little whenever I see it.

Edit: Misread the post. The overlap doesn't strike me as too bothersome, but the outline of the tail monarch bits and the upper wing monarch bits does become REALLY hard to see. It might as well be one big blob of color in darker shades.
15587.png szLFrpq.pngGjf5omr.png
JvUa9ma.pngWKtl2lb.png
UU9vIu2.pngxYQkuHQ.png
iJRr6Ic.pngrix3ppo.png
Some links above aren't working yet due
to being future projects! Stay tuned!
I wish I could understand what it is that you're seeing. ):
I wish I could understand what it is that you're seeing. ):
tumblr_inline_npp8nyFo5N1r0g4u9_540.png X tumblr_inline_nppef4YToG1r0g4u9_540.png
X
Maybe it's the unexpectedley sharp edges to it? I think it creates quite striking sillhouette, even when the colour makes it blend in.
Maybe it's the unexpectedley sharp edges to it? I think it creates quite striking sillhouette, even when the colour makes it blend in.
Come visit my lore lair! It's a fun time here.

Something strange is happening on Sornieth. All across the world, dragons have begun to be born with multiple elements. How? Why? As dragons all across Sornieth takes notice, the wheel of fate begins to turn, as one fae's search for her mysterious origins leads her down a path that could change Sornieth forever.
Your two examples look fine to me personally. Are you talking about the tail bit that passes over the far wing? Idk I just interpret it as sort of layers, so the head and neck are closest to us, then the tail, then the wing at the farthest away from us... so it doesn't really strike me as particularly bothersome having those pieces overlap. There's usually so much else going on in the design that I can overlook that little bit where it kinda blends on some colors.
Your two examples look fine to me personally. Are you talking about the tail bit that passes over the far wing? Idk I just interpret it as sort of layers, so the head and neck are closest to us, then the tail, then the wing at the farthest away from us... so it doesn't really strike me as particularly bothersome having those pieces overlap. There's usually so much else going on in the design that I can overlook that little bit where it kinda blends on some colors.
Hjönk Hjönk Am Goose
I think I kind of see what you mean. Basically in the darker color, especially with a lighter color under it, it looks like it is hard clipped onto the dragon rather than a part of its body and that the edges are super hard compared to the body which would be "soft" to touch.
I think I kind of see what you mean. Basically in the darker color, especially with a lighter color under it, it looks like it is hard clipped onto the dragon rather than a part of its body and that the edges are super hard compared to the body which would be "soft" to touch.
8YiSfVe.png
G1s for sale
I don't see it sadly?
I don't see it sadly?
plagueanim1.gif
FR+9 | cQS6PnX.png | german
FObX7rS.png
- No voice to cry suffering. -
No random friend requests
_______
__
f44Zu0R.gif

I see what you mean, I love monarch on hatch/male poses but I'm not nearly as into it on fem poses because it's really busy, as you said I'm pretty sure it's just a limitation of the pose.
I see what you mean, I love monarch on hatch/male poses but I'm not nearly as into it on fem poses because it's really busy, as you said I'm pretty sure it's just a limitation of the pose.
3EIL5RM.png SwhjRD4.pngd3XCZt0.pngWeReVnH.pngaQp8eZz.pngt6Bzul7.png
85212510.png
jeremy says hi
Sorry, but i don’t see it. I think it looks the best on the female pose
Sorry, but i don’t see it. I think it looks the best on the female pose
STRANGEFLESH
>It/It's
>friendly/open to chat! I love pings and messages
>wishlist
>lineage
>About me
tumblr-paypl0-G37c1xpxfk5o4-250.png