Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | hot earth or cold earth?
1 2 3 4 5
I've always thought of it as being really unforgivingly hot, never even considered anything else...

I figured that things like the bluffclamber's belongings were just warm-looking because it was for mountain climbing at higher elevations. But it does make sense that it'd be cold at night due to the ground not retaining heat.
I've always thought of it as being really unforgivingly hot, never even considered anything else...

I figured that things like the bluffclamber's belongings were just warm-looking because it was for mountain climbing at higher elevations. But it does make sense that it'd be cold at night due to the ground not retaining heat.
xxxxxxxx saccharine | she/they | fr+3
plague wildclaw enthusiast.

›› triskele nest rentals
›› avatar dragon
qTaplDI.png
I imagine it being very... empty. Just miles and miles of hard dirt and rock. I don't imagine it with desert temperatures though, just sort of subtly warm during summer and subtly cold during night/winter. There would also be no wind or much weather. Just... rock

No idea if that's cannon though lol
I imagine it being very... empty. Just miles and miles of hard dirt and rock. I don't imagine it with desert temperatures though, just sort of subtly warm during summer and subtly cold during night/winter. There would also be no wind or much weather. Just... rock

No idea if that's cannon though lol
- they/them
- +8 FR time
- Feel free to talk/ping!
- Old UN: LemonySnaket

kBjtmwi.png kd8tKB5.png
hot, with cold areas at higher elevations. like the gerudo area in botw!
hot, with cold areas at higher elevations. like the gerudo area in botw!
wqnTQE2.png
addams » she / her » avatar dragon
“i think i might have fallen in love...”
”...what am i to do?”

To me it feels like a hot desert. I guess it could be a kind of like Mongolia or the Atacama where it can be cold and hot depending on altitude, seasons, and time of day, that would be pretty neat. But it's on the same latitude as nature's territory, which is clearly a hot rainforest, so I think that lends some credibility to it being hot.
To me it feels like a hot desert. I guess it could be a kind of like Mongolia or the Atacama where it can be cold and hot depending on altitude, seasons, and time of day, that would be pretty neat. But it's on the same latitude as nature's territory, which is clearly a hot rainforest, so I think that lends some credibility to it being hot.
jCVhFoZ.gif
It seems to be desert-like to me, so echoing very hot in the day and very cold in the night.
It seems to be desert-like to me, so echoing very hot in the day and very cold in the night.
mapleshaiku_siggy.png
For the crazy biomes everywhere, I'd imagine the initial deity battles in the First Age screwed up things quite a bit. The sunlight may have been moved around by the magic causing crazy seasons and crazy day-night cycles, plus there's all that magic going around and changing the landscape.

Also, from encyclopedia:
Quote:
..the gods constructed a massive pillar at the northernmost point of the globe, fusing their corporeal bodies together into layers of elemental marble slabs. The World Pillar, as it is known today, would be the Eight's last and final resignation as makers. If the scarred flanks of the young world were ever to heal, they would do so on their own, unmarred by the omnipotence of the gods.

I'd imagine it should be pretty icy there, but maybe the Pillar warms it up somehow. Who knows? Perhaps it was full of pine trees and mountains with a large grassy area for the Pillar before it was all changed up with earth magic.

Referring to the second age here (after the pillar, before the reactor explosion)

As for the other regions, they would've been natural for a long time. One of the tooltips of an arcane item says that the crystalspine reaches used to be normal mountains. Starfall isles probably would've been a birch and deciduous forest type of climate surrounded by mountain ranges.
I can imagine the southern icefield probably had some more reasonable temperatures instead of just being "cold, cold, and more cold". And I doubt viridian labyrinth would've been a tropical rainforest. Pine trees, ice, and snowy mountains is more likely.
The north of the shifting expanse may have been a rainforest due to being on the equator. Ashfall waste might've been like one of those caribbean or hawaiian volcanic islands, with lots of forests, rainforests. May have been quite cold in the south.
The climates of light flight, wind flight, shadow flight, and plague flight were probably typical temperate deciduous and coniferous forests with grassy areas.

The humans may have altered it slightly with magic (calling them "humans" here, whatever those humanoids may have been) but not as significantly as the deities did.

This period of Sornieth's existence may have lasted a long time, possibly a billion years or so. Sornieth would've still had magic, but most of it would be in the Pillar to protect the world from the Shade. Still, there'd be magic, with mages and slightly magical creatures.

Then the humans make a big thing of magic and power it up and oops it explodes. All that magic creates a whole new deity (the arcanist) and significant changes to the nearby landscape (creating gladekeeper and plaguebringer). Gladekeeper and plaguebringer's warring probably released a ton of magic and changed the climates there a lot. They battled for a few centuries too. That sure would've made the shade go "pspspsps hey you little pink thing let me in pspspsps" and BAM the Pillar explodes.

I imagine the Pillar exploding would've released an enormous amount of magic. Most of the Pillar shards and chunks would probably stick together to similar magics and land on places of Sornieth, causing magic to seep into the land. As for the deities, they'd follow the Pillar shards (I think there was also one big chunk that came out of each slab) and magic up their new homes even more.

And poof. Now you have pink magical crystals, meatland, purple bioluminescent swamps, golden pine forests and yellow meadows, blue deserts with constant thunderstorms, a whole region of volcanic rock and lava everywhere, a big brown rocky desert with blue crystals poking up, a grassy bamboo plateau with all its winds supplied by one constantly-rolling giant hurricane, a bunch of really cold icy islands (some near the equator), and a tropical rainforest near the poles. What a crazy supercontinent.

It's all the deities' doing, in my opinion :P
They probably can bend the light they want to their domain, and use magic to change the whole landscape for their continent.

..Oh right, you were asking if Dragonhome is hot or cold. I think it's hot.
For the crazy biomes everywhere, I'd imagine the initial deity battles in the First Age screwed up things quite a bit. The sunlight may have been moved around by the magic causing crazy seasons and crazy day-night cycles, plus there's all that magic going around and changing the landscape.

Also, from encyclopedia:
Quote:
..the gods constructed a massive pillar at the northernmost point of the globe, fusing their corporeal bodies together into layers of elemental marble slabs. The World Pillar, as it is known today, would be the Eight's last and final resignation as makers. If the scarred flanks of the young world were ever to heal, they would do so on their own, unmarred by the omnipotence of the gods.

I'd imagine it should be pretty icy there, but maybe the Pillar warms it up somehow. Who knows? Perhaps it was full of pine trees and mountains with a large grassy area for the Pillar before it was all changed up with earth magic.

Referring to the second age here (after the pillar, before the reactor explosion)

As for the other regions, they would've been natural for a long time. One of the tooltips of an arcane item says that the crystalspine reaches used to be normal mountains. Starfall isles probably would've been a birch and deciduous forest type of climate surrounded by mountain ranges.
I can imagine the southern icefield probably had some more reasonable temperatures instead of just being "cold, cold, and more cold". And I doubt viridian labyrinth would've been a tropical rainforest. Pine trees, ice, and snowy mountains is more likely.
The north of the shifting expanse may have been a rainforest due to being on the equator. Ashfall waste might've been like one of those caribbean or hawaiian volcanic islands, with lots of forests, rainforests. May have been quite cold in the south.
The climates of light flight, wind flight, shadow flight, and plague flight were probably typical temperate deciduous and coniferous forests with grassy areas.

The humans may have altered it slightly with magic (calling them "humans" here, whatever those humanoids may have been) but not as significantly as the deities did.

This period of Sornieth's existence may have lasted a long time, possibly a billion years or so. Sornieth would've still had magic, but most of it would be in the Pillar to protect the world from the Shade. Still, there'd be magic, with mages and slightly magical creatures.

Then the humans make a big thing of magic and power it up and oops it explodes. All that magic creates a whole new deity (the arcanist) and significant changes to the nearby landscape (creating gladekeeper and plaguebringer). Gladekeeper and plaguebringer's warring probably released a ton of magic and changed the climates there a lot. They battled for a few centuries too. That sure would've made the shade go "pspspsps hey you little pink thing let me in pspspsps" and BAM the Pillar explodes.

I imagine the Pillar exploding would've released an enormous amount of magic. Most of the Pillar shards and chunks would probably stick together to similar magics and land on places of Sornieth, causing magic to seep into the land. As for the deities, they'd follow the Pillar shards (I think there was also one big chunk that came out of each slab) and magic up their new homes even more.

And poof. Now you have pink magical crystals, meatland, purple bioluminescent swamps, golden pine forests and yellow meadows, blue deserts with constant thunderstorms, a whole region of volcanic rock and lava everywhere, a big brown rocky desert with blue crystals poking up, a grassy bamboo plateau with all its winds supplied by one constantly-rolling giant hurricane, a bunch of really cold icy islands (some near the equator), and a tropical rainforest near the poles. What a crazy supercontinent.

It's all the deities' doing, in my opinion :P
They probably can bend the light they want to their domain, and use magic to change the whole landscape for their continent.

..Oh right, you were asking if Dragonhome is hot or cold. I think it's hot.
Dragon home is hot from countless braziers and food stalls and dragon bodies all in a city together, everything else is frigid. The canyons are freezing and never go above 55 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer because the shadows keep light from heating the rocks.
Dragon home is hot from countless braziers and food stalls and dragon bodies all in a city together, everything else is frigid. The canyons are freezing and never go above 55 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer because the shadows keep light from heating the rocks.
I imagine it's kinda cold there or a bit of both? Like, it's cold at higher elevations, maybe hot during the summer.
I imagine it's kinda cold there or a bit of both? Like, it's cold at higher elevations, maybe hot during the summer.
npc_scribbles_by_dogi_crimson-daevs0a.gifbicatcher.png
[quote name="FeatherHibiscus" date="2021-10-15 10:46:42" ] Also, from encyclopedia: Quote: ..the gods constructed a massive pillar at the northernmost point of the globe, fusing their corporeal bodies together into layers of elemental marble slabs. The World Pillar, as it is known today, would be the Eight's last and final resignation as makers. If the scarred flanks of the young world were ever to heal, they would do so on their own, unmarred by the omnipotence of the gods. [/quote] Love how the lore kinda implies the pillar is quite literally the north pole.
FeatherHibiscus wrote on 2021-10-15 10:46:42:

Also, from encyclopedia:

Quote:

Love how the lore kinda implies the pillar is quite literally the north pole.
npc_scribbles_by_dogi_crimson-daevs0a.gifbicatcher.png
Well... there are desert-looking climates that aren't necessarily totally hot or cold. Earth doesn't necessarily have to be near the north pole - I don't think it is, with Nature right next to it - the north pole is probably quite a ways off in the ocean. I think Earth is, as suggested by the mountain the banner is set in, is at a pretty high elevation - you can kinda see how it drops off in elevation by nature. And if nature is a rainforest... well, I'd compare earth to say, Bolivia's higher mountain areas, such as La Paz and the Salar de Uyuni - both at about 12kft/3.5k meters. I believe temperatures average in the 60s/50s F throughout the year. And when you drop elevation down to Santa Cruz, it quickly gets very rainforest-y/forest-y in general, cuz that's the Amazon. You get the occasional trees, you get the salt deposits in Salar de Uyuni, similar I imagine to Earth's minerals... y'know. Plus, Pillar of the World is right there, highest point in the world - makes sense they'd build it at a higher elevation to start with to minimize building costs. Only wind and arcane territorities would be higher and they have floating islands/hurricanes, so.

edit: huh, if the enclycopedia says its the northern most part of the globe... i wonder if overall the climates on Sonreith are just completely different to earth cuz regardless, that one little Nature island is more north than the pillar, which doesn't really make sense if the north is supposed to be cold.
Well... there are desert-looking climates that aren't necessarily totally hot or cold. Earth doesn't necessarily have to be near the north pole - I don't think it is, with Nature right next to it - the north pole is probably quite a ways off in the ocean. I think Earth is, as suggested by the mountain the banner is set in, is at a pretty high elevation - you can kinda see how it drops off in elevation by nature. And if nature is a rainforest... well, I'd compare earth to say, Bolivia's higher mountain areas, such as La Paz and the Salar de Uyuni - both at about 12kft/3.5k meters. I believe temperatures average in the 60s/50s F throughout the year. And when you drop elevation down to Santa Cruz, it quickly gets very rainforest-y/forest-y in general, cuz that's the Amazon. You get the occasional trees, you get the salt deposits in Salar de Uyuni, similar I imagine to Earth's minerals... y'know. Plus, Pillar of the World is right there, highest point in the world - makes sense they'd build it at a higher elevation to start with to minimize building costs. Only wind and arcane territorities would be higher and they have floating islands/hurricanes, so.

edit: huh, if the enclycopedia says its the northern most part of the globe... i wonder if overall the climates on Sonreith are just completely different to earth cuz regardless, that one little Nature island is more north than the pillar, which doesn't really make sense if the north is supposed to be cold.
earth.gif
ALyb7Fl.png coco
ALyb7Fl.png they/he
ALyb7Fl.png FR +0
ALyb7Fl.png queer
tumblr_osyord8RnW1v8lm95o1_100.png
1 2 3 4 5