Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | What would you have done? (eye update)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I think the only difference I'd made is give a reminder to the userbase that the team is actively working on a solution according to the feedback, so that the playerbase would have been able to expect that the eye system wasn't likely to stay the same. I recall the staff did mention they'd discuss feedback during the original eye update aftermath, but since it's been years, many forgot, didn't know or figured the silence meant nothing was being done.
I think the only difference I'd made is give a reminder to the userbase that the team is actively working on a solution according to the feedback, so that the playerbase would have been able to expect that the eye system wasn't likely to stay the same. I recall the staff did mention they'd discuss feedback during the original eye update aftermath, but since it's been years, many forgot, didn't know or figured the silence meant nothing was being done.
Honestly, best course of action would've been to release these eye vials within the first six or so months from the first eye update.
I was here before the first eye update, and I can honestly say I disliked the first eye update, and I dislike the eye vial update because it's three years too late and I had since learned to live with the RNG eyes and even managed to find things I enjoy in them. Just saying, if we had this exact update three years earlier I would have no complaints, and I doubt I'd be the only one.

But I still feel that the eye vials are a bit too easy to get right now. I would like FR to have some more goals that would take about 8-20 million treasure, or an equivalent amount of time/effort it'd take to save that much treasure. Yeah, there's G1's and UMA's and whatnot, but those are primarily user-controlled markets. I've never cared much about familiar collecting, instead spending my time gening G1 dragons and buying retired apparel, so I'd much like it if this expensive /time-consuming goal did affect how my dragons looked like. Eyes were very good for that, but I agree the RNG aspect had to go.
Honestly, best course of action would've been to release these eye vials within the first six or so months from the first eye update.
I was here before the first eye update, and I can honestly say I disliked the first eye update, and I dislike the eye vial update because it's three years too late and I had since learned to live with the RNG eyes and even managed to find things I enjoy in them. Just saying, if we had this exact update three years earlier I would have no complaints, and I doubt I'd be the only one.

But I still feel that the eye vials are a bit too easy to get right now. I would like FR to have some more goals that would take about 8-20 million treasure, or an equivalent amount of time/effort it'd take to save that much treasure. Yeah, there's G1's and UMA's and whatnot, but those are primarily user-controlled markets. I've never cared much about familiar collecting, instead spending my time gening G1 dragons and buying retired apparel, so I'd much like it if this expensive /time-consuming goal did affect how my dragons looked like. Eyes were very good for that, but I agree the RNG aspect had to go.
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
7G6xGb.png
I personally woulda had vials for all eye types but primal and kept those as the "special rare" eye rng from eggs, cause to me they were similar to shiniest in Pokemon but I know that's not a popular choice for those who wanted vials. I'm okay with the update as is for the most part.

I know a lot of players really liked the old system. I don't think my solution woulda caused less backlash, as those who want primals but hated the old system would still be unhappy.
I personally woulda had vials for all eye types but primal and kept those as the "special rare" eye rng from eggs, cause to me they were similar to shiniest in Pokemon but I know that's not a popular choice for those who wanted vials. I'm okay with the update as is for the most part.

I know a lot of players really liked the old system. I don't think my solution woulda caused less backlash, as those who want primals but hated the old system would still be unhappy.
ezgif-7-30fd7f2236.gif
I would have given warning a change was coming. Even if it was just a status update a couple weeks in advance saying something like "we are looking into the eye issues, and are coming up with a solution". This way people wouldn't have been as shocked when the update finally came.

For actually releasing the vials, I probably would not have been the best person to consult as I liked the system already in place.

If I did do something, it would have been either an exalt a primal, have a moderate chance of getting a primal vial system, or they would have been an absurd amount of money in the marketplace (gem gene or higher amounts).

There is a possibility I would have done what they did but put markers on dragons indicating whether they were natural or vialed eyes, but honestly I am not sure if that was even possible coding wise. The reason this solution is good to me is because it doesn't affect the dragons appearance, but the primal collectors market would still be unaffected. While some people wouldn't like it there would be a lot less backlash and it would have been better than rng only eyes.

The solution I saw on the forums that I liked most was release all the tints and possibly facet/goat/multi in vials but leave primal out, but I see why some people wouldn't have liked that if the eye type they liked the most was primal.
I would have given warning a change was coming. Even if it was just a status update a couple weeks in advance saying something like "we are looking into the eye issues, and are coming up with a solution". This way people wouldn't have been as shocked when the update finally came.

For actually releasing the vials, I probably would not have been the best person to consult as I liked the system already in place.

If I did do something, it would have been either an exalt a primal, have a moderate chance of getting a primal vial system, or they would have been an absurd amount of money in the marketplace (gem gene or higher amounts).

There is a possibility I would have done what they did but put markers on dragons indicating whether they were natural or vialed eyes, but honestly I am not sure if that was even possible coding wise. The reason this solution is good to me is because it doesn't affect the dragons appearance, but the primal collectors market would still be unaffected. While some people wouldn't like it there would be a lot less backlash and it would have been better than rng only eyes.

The solution I saw on the forums that I liked most was release all the tints and possibly facet/goat/multi in vials but leave primal out, but I see why some people wouldn't have liked that if the eye type they liked the most was primal.
I will put something here eventually.
If I was gonna do it, I'd have boosted the cost of non-tint naturals and added a function that reshaped scattersight vials to act as a drop-down option for any one of the eye types it originally covered. That would've preserved at least a little of the player-driven value of the vials, a little of the mid-range savings goals, and eased some salt. Wouldn't have fixed everything though. This whole thing was always going to stay a mess from the minute the first update version hit.
If I was gonna do it, I'd have boosted the cost of non-tint naturals and added a function that reshaped scattersight vials to act as a drop-down option for any one of the eye types it originally covered. That would've preserved at least a little of the player-driven value of the vials, a little of the mid-range savings goals, and eased some salt. Wouldn't have fixed everything though. This whole thing was always going to stay a mess from the minute the first update version hit.
J7D1quC.png
CfG2LT1.png
XP7djFk.png
WKtl2lb.png
ll0CfnD.png
YMPbu9R.png
I wouldn’t have waited three years for a fix. Had they responded within a few days with at least a plan to fix the issue the worst of this mess could have been avoised.

If the three years is a must for the purposes of this question: I would have implemented some sort of challenge (say whatever happened to adventure mode?) that would allow people to change eye types of any dragon provided the challenge is completed. The challenge would have to be difficult to complete. This would have allowed a method for those wanting to not gamble with a retired item with awful odds to work towards perfecting their dragons without making randomly hatched rare eyes drop as drastically in value. Not just 500k in the marketplace- which is a lot for some users but after three years of people investing in vials I wish more effort would have been made into preserving the rarity while makig the eyes more available. I say this as someone who hated the original eye upsate and like the new one. I’m happy for the change but I fully understand the frustrations of those most negatively impacted.

Edit: Challenge idea would maybe be something like exalting 10-20 dragons of a certain eyetype to get the vial for the same Eye type. Makes even fodder primals valuable, stull slightly rng based, makes hatching primals more exciting, but also allows a way for people to get primals on older dragons that isn’t reliant on a limited supply rng item.
I wouldn’t have waited three years for a fix. Had they responded within a few days with at least a plan to fix the issue the worst of this mess could have been avoised.

If the three years is a must for the purposes of this question: I would have implemented some sort of challenge (say whatever happened to adventure mode?) that would allow people to change eye types of any dragon provided the challenge is completed. The challenge would have to be difficult to complete. This would have allowed a method for those wanting to not gamble with a retired item with awful odds to work towards perfecting their dragons without making randomly hatched rare eyes drop as drastically in value. Not just 500k in the marketplace- which is a lot for some users but after three years of people investing in vials I wish more effort would have been made into preserving the rarity while makig the eyes more available. I say this as someone who hated the original eye upsate and like the new one. I’m happy for the change but I fully understand the frustrations of those most negatively impacted.

Edit: Challenge idea would maybe be something like exalting 10-20 dragons of a certain eyetype to get the vial for the same Eye type. Makes even fodder primals valuable, stull slightly rng based, makes hatching primals more exciting, but also allows a way for people to get primals on older dragons that isn’t reliant on a limited supply rng item.
I would have made a new npc in the trading post who, for a fee of say 10kt (just a suggestion, may be higher or lower), lets one of your dragons 'look in a mystic mirror' that works baaasically the same as scattersights. It would be a clever way to work around the decision not to bring back scattersights, while at the same time providing a similar service.

Of course, I'm happy with the update as is. 500kt is nothing to scoff at, so it's fair enough imo
I would have made a new npc in the trading post who, for a fee of say 10kt (just a suggestion, may be higher or lower), lets one of your dragons 'look in a mystic mirror' that works baaasically the same as scattersights. It would be a clever way to work around the decision not to bring back scattersights, while at the same time providing a similar service.

Of course, I'm happy with the update as is. 500kt is nothing to scoff at, so it's fair enough imo
————————
— Cha
— they/them
Skin Shop
Wishlist
Eot-S-icon.png
x
Witch-s-heart-icon.png
x
Untitled1954.png
React sooner, but since hindsight is 20/20:

Release the vials but keep their rarity. So you'd have to have some other mechanic to unlock the rarer eye vials. I'd also add a toggleable changelog so changes are futureproof.

It would still be more accessible than the old system, but wouldn't hurt the players who like 'challenge'. It would be a mix of what we had before and now, but instead of just saying "go get 'em" on the treasure MP I would scatter them throughout the site and maybe make them a rare coli drop. People would be able to feasibly complete their projects, but not as easily as spending 500kt. That just... crashed the entire market. :(

React sooner, but since hindsight is 20/20:

Release the vials but keep their rarity. So you'd have to have some other mechanic to unlock the rarer eye vials. I'd also add a toggleable changelog so changes are futureproof.

It would still be more accessible than the old system, but wouldn't hurt the players who like 'challenge'. It would be a mix of what we had before and now, but instead of just saying "go get 'em" on the treasure MP I would scatter them throughout the site and maybe make them a rare coli drop. People would be able to feasibly complete their projects, but not as easily as spending 500kt. That just... crashed the entire market. :(

One word: Baldwin.

The cauldron goes up to level 28 but has no recipies up to that point. Unless you want to grind just for the fun of it, there is no incentive to level your cauldron that high. So, why not shove the rare eye vials such as MG and Primal back there? Maybe even just spread them out a bit to prevent them all from ending up in the market place. Some vials could be coli drops, others baldwin, and maybe one or two in swip. This would draw more attention to other parts of the game, and keep the grind in tact as well as the value of most of the items such as the scattersight.

Speaking of scattersights, why not just shove them up as permanent items into the gem marketplace? This still retains the value of the item while allowing the rng to continue to exist on site. They'd only need to be 150-300g. Sure, those who waited to sell would still lose profit but it's not as much as they have lost in the current moment.

The biggest problem that I am seeing from the update is that people feel their hardwork has been devalued. When you put a lot of time into a mechanic that has been stable for so long, it doesn't feel great to have it taken away. So, making the items a grind and not an easily purchaseable thing keeps that value in tact while providing the playerbase with a more accessible way to gain the eyes they desire.
One word: Baldwin.

The cauldron goes up to level 28 but has no recipies up to that point. Unless you want to grind just for the fun of it, there is no incentive to level your cauldron that high. So, why not shove the rare eye vials such as MG and Primal back there? Maybe even just spread them out a bit to prevent them all from ending up in the market place. Some vials could be coli drops, others baldwin, and maybe one or two in swip. This would draw more attention to other parts of the game, and keep the grind in tact as well as the value of most of the items such as the scattersight.

Speaking of scattersights, why not just shove them up as permanent items into the gem marketplace? This still retains the value of the item while allowing the rng to continue to exist on site. They'd only need to be 150-300g. Sure, those who waited to sell would still lose profit but it's not as much as they have lost in the current moment.

The biggest problem that I am seeing from the update is that people feel their hardwork has been devalued. When you put a lot of time into a mechanic that has been stable for so long, it doesn't feel great to have it taken away. So, making the items a grind and not an easily purchaseable thing keeps that value in tact while providing the playerbase with a more accessible way to gain the eyes they desire.
daom3l7-a0e9d769-2c15-438e-b477-777b75bab85b.gif
I would have mentioned when they first came out, "Hey, just so you guys know, the normal eyes aren't a part of Scattersights RNG"

It's been a moment but I believe that was a thing? The people who used Scattersights and then tried to bring their dragons eyes back to normal. If I'm wrong about this someone can totally feel free to correct me on this.

I feel like the Scattersights were fine, honestly. They were also really, really fun to grind for. I think I would have made them a seasonal or yearly item, too.

Also, would have made the specific eye vials immediately. I thought it was strange when they came out with new and more eye types but you couldn't just put them on your dragon?
I would have mentioned when they first came out, "Hey, just so you guys know, the normal eyes aren't a part of Scattersights RNG"

It's been a moment but I believe that was a thing? The people who used Scattersights and then tried to bring their dragons eyes back to normal. If I'm wrong about this someone can totally feel free to correct me on this.

I feel like the Scattersights were fine, honestly. They were also really, really fun to grind for. I think I would have made them a seasonal or yearly item, too.

Also, would have made the specific eye vials immediately. I thought it was strange when they came out with new and more eye types but you couldn't just put them on your dragon?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7