Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Breeding project advice you'd give?
1 2 3
Stop. Stop before you go too deep.

All jokes aside, if you have very specific uncommon colors, the search feature is your friend.
Idk how updated this is to the current genes, but I used this probability calculator to get an idea of how good of a breeding pair you got and if you should consider switching it up.
Also keep in mind how long you might be working on it. I had a breeding project I'd been working on for like a year, and by the time I finally got the dragon I was looking for, I lost interest.
Stop. Stop before you go too deep.

All jokes aside, if you have very specific uncommon colors, the search feature is your friend.
Idk how updated this is to the current genes, but I used this probability calculator to get an idea of how good of a breeding pair you got and if you should consider switching it up.
Also keep in mind how long you might be working on it. I had a breeding project I'd been working on for like a year, and by the time I finally got the dragon I was looking for, I lost interest.
PJEKw3i.pngOgf6rFV.pngLpWn6Hu.png
Depends on what you are after. I was after a primal male mirror with certain colours. Colours that at the time only 3 dragons had (and the owners were still using them) The colours I wanted came about maybe a month or so but getting the primal eyes? I just got it today. After two years of breeding. So yeah my advice is if you are going to be really specific esp with eye type be prepared to be breeding a lot. Thankfully since I started you can now buy a scroll that changes gender. [s]Watch as they bring back the eye scroll event now I got it[/s] [quote name="Sawkinator" date="2021-04-20 08:37:46" ] The 'Search' feature is your friend! Look for dragons within a few colors of your targets and don't be afraid to message people about buying a dragon just chilling in their 'Fodder' tab. I've gotten many good dragons that way. [/quote] This is the best advice. Search for the dragon(s) you are looking for (or as close to the colours you want) and ask players about them. Even if they won't sell, there is a chance they may breed them/work with you and give out a hatchling. So be prepared you might be waiting a while and have a backlog of dragons (My lair is going to be so empty now after I sell/exalt) But you might be lucky too. Either way, my face when I saw that hatching today was one of happiness after all my hard work.
Depends on what you are after. I was after a primal male mirror with certain colours. Colours that at the time only 3 dragons had (and the owners were still using them) The colours I wanted came about maybe a month or so but getting the primal eyes? I just got it today.

After two years of breeding.

So yeah my advice is if you are going to be really specific esp with eye type be prepared to be breeding a lot. Thankfully since I started you can now buy a scroll that changes gender. Watch as they bring back the eye scroll event now I got it
Sawkinator wrote on 2021-04-20 08:37:46:
The 'Search' feature is your friend! Look for dragons within a few colors of your targets and don't be afraid to message people about buying a dragon just chilling in their 'Fodder' tab. I've gotten many good dragons that way.

This is the best advice. Search for the dragon(s) you are looking for (or as close to the colours you want) and ask players about them. Even if they won't sell, there is a chance they may breed them/work with you and give out a hatchling.

So be prepared you might be waiting a while and have a backlog of dragons (My lair is going to be so empty now after I sell/exalt) But you might be lucky too. Either way, my face when I saw that hatching today was one of happiness after all my hard work.
ji7Ja69.png______________MbQpXUR.gifA8YwNGs.gif______________ODwPvZt.png
[quote name="CeriothOfCinders" date="2021-04-20 08:23:50" ] What sort of advice would you give to someone relatively new to FR who wants to start working on breeding projects? Especially ones that look for rather specific color schemes with matching genes. [/quote] Depending on what you're looking for be prepared to bend your initial wishes. If you're set on everything be specific then be prepared for a long haul unless it's a very common type or you get lucky. Genes can be gotten, colors are far harder unless you're okay with more then one being possible. Only exception is the Imperial breed and rare eye types. This includes gender unless you need one specific for a breeding pair. Gem genes are hard are possible if there's truly no option. Coatls and Wildclaws are both long cooldown so those can be a tossup on if you'd rather take on the cooldowns verses saving up for a scroll. I've ended up doing months on a Coatl project once trying to hatch a pretty girl before the Silhouette scrolls were available. Search feature is your best friend! Check regularly and save the combo on the AH. Never know when lucky fodder is exactly what you need. Worst that happens if you think they won't sell them then, unless stated otherwise, you can ask if they're willing to sell you a similar child or stud them out. Be Polite and If you're aiming for a element different then your own you have the option of finding a trustworthy set of nest renters or even hopping flights outright. Prepare lots of space if you think it'll be long and TEST THE BLOODLINE BEFORE YOU BUY. Ending up with more then one pair by breeding the kids as well as he initial pair is entirely possible. They shall be RAGE, either because they're one off your combo or the wrong gender or the wrong gene or becase te pair just Wegged you. Worse case scenario you lose interest or yeet them and come back to try again later. Make lore for the project if you're inclined!
CeriothOfCinders wrote on 2021-04-20 08:23:50:
What sort of advice would you give to someone relatively new to FR who wants to start working on breeding projects? Especially ones that look for rather specific color schemes with matching genes.
Depending on what you're looking for be prepared to bend your initial wishes. If you're set on everything be specific then be prepared for a long haul unless it's a very common type or you get lucky.

Genes can be gotten, colors are far harder unless you're okay with more then one being possible. Only exception is the Imperial breed and rare eye types. This includes gender unless you need one specific for a breeding pair. Gem genes are hard are possible if there's truly no option.

Coatls and Wildclaws are both long cooldown so those can be a tossup on if you'd rather take on the cooldowns verses saving up for a scroll. I've ended up doing months on a Coatl project once trying to hatch a pretty girl before the Silhouette scrolls were available.

Search feature is your best friend! Check regularly and save the combo on the AH. Never know when lucky fodder is exactly what you need. Worst that happens if you think they won't sell them then, unless stated otherwise, you can ask if they're willing to sell you a similar child or stud them out. Be Polite and

If you're aiming for a element different then your own you have the option of finding a trustworthy set of nest renters or even hopping flights outright.

Prepare lots of space if you think it'll be long and TEST THE BLOODLINE BEFORE YOU BUY. Ending up with more then one pair by breeding the kids as well as he initial pair is entirely possible.

They shall be RAGE, either because they're one off your combo or the wrong gender or the wrong gene or becase te pair just Wegged you. Worse case scenario you lose interest or yeet them and come back to try again later.

Make lore for the project if you're inclined!
zBb62uZ.pngkiukE70.png1.png
People have mentioned lots of good things, but something I wanna highlight that I didn't see yet, is if your project is anywhere near a really popular range, be prepared for LOTS of the dragons you find to be related. I have a family tree saved on a geneology website for my one project so that it's easier to figure out whether two dragons that are related NOW will have offspring that are still related in 1-2 generations when I'll actually need to breed them together.
People have mentioned lots of good things, but something I wanna highlight that I didn't see yet, is if your project is anywhere near a really popular range, be prepared for LOTS of the dragons you find to be related. I have a family tree saved on a geneology website for my one project so that it's easier to figure out whether two dragons that are related NOW will have offspring that are still related in 1-2 generations when I'll actually need to breed them together.
Help I'm trapped in a signature!
I warn every newbie that time=money and they're going to have to choose which of those they'd rather spend.

Unless of course you want a specific hatch date or eye type in which case it's likely going to take both.

LordJeanliness is absolutely right about the related dragons thing. Always check new purchases against everyone you already own before you buy. I want a fairly uncommon but popular combo and nearly everyone was to the same two coatls. I searched for unrelated dragons that were reasonably close for 4 months and they all require all new genes everywhere.
I warn every newbie that time=money and they're going to have to choose which of those they'd rather spend.

Unless of course you want a specific hatch date or eye type in which case it's likely going to take both.

LordJeanliness is absolutely right about the related dragons thing. Always check new purchases against everyone you already own before you buy. I want a fairly uncommon but popular combo and nearly everyone was to the same two coatls. I searched for unrelated dragons that were reasonably close for 4 months and they all require all new genes everywhere.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
Breeding projects for me are typically a way to save money, as I don't want to shell out the Gems for Gem Genes or Gem Breeds.

1. Unless it's for Coatl, Wildclaw, or Imperial, breed change to Plentiful for the shorter breeding cool downs.
2. Genes are more important than colors; if you need Gem Genes, breed with Gem Genes. Breeding against gem genes when you need something lower quality is also a good idea.
3. Having multiple pairs to help achieve your goal is a good idea.
4. Save 10 or more spaces for "potential mates" in your project.
5. The cost of a dragon should be compared to the amount of time it will save you in the long run. Time = Money
6. Someone else mentioned it, but I forgot.... Saved Searches and run them regularly. Don't be afraid to politely ask if a dragon is for sale; if it is in a Sales Tab, Fodder Tab, or generally looks unused (No apparel, no familiar, no lore, no anything), it might be up for grabs.
Breeding projects for me are typically a way to save money, as I don't want to shell out the Gems for Gem Genes or Gem Breeds.

1. Unless it's for Coatl, Wildclaw, or Imperial, breed change to Plentiful for the shorter breeding cool downs.
2. Genes are more important than colors; if you need Gem Genes, breed with Gem Genes. Breeding against gem genes when you need something lower quality is also a good idea.
3. Having multiple pairs to help achieve your goal is a good idea.
4. Save 10 or more spaces for "potential mates" in your project.
5. The cost of a dragon should be compared to the amount of time it will save you in the long run. Time = Money
6. Someone else mentioned it, but I forgot.... Saved Searches and run them regularly. Don't be afraid to politely ask if a dragon is for sale; if it is in a Sales Tab, Fodder Tab, or generally looks unused (No apparel, no familiar, no lore, no anything), it might be up for grabs.
TqnrXGL.png o hatchery
o spotlight
o BTV Veils
o subspecies
o kennel club
o lore: clan saga
Colors. Don’t get hung up on genes. Genes can be changed. Focus on colors. Remember that colors work on a wheel. So try to get as many as close together to the colors you want as possible.

I’d argue that unless you’re looking for an imp, breeds are less important and might be easier to work with plentiful breeds (guardians, Fae, tundras, mirrors) due to their fast breed cycles. Coatl and Wildclaw scrolls are expensive yes, but not unobtainable. I’d leave that decision up to you, is the longer breeding cool down worth the ~2000 gems you’d save?
Colors. Don’t get hung up on genes. Genes can be changed. Focus on colors. Remember that colors work on a wheel. So try to get as many as close together to the colors you want as possible.

I’d argue that unless you’re looking for an imp, breeds are less important and might be easier to work with plentiful breeds (guardians, Fae, tundras, mirrors) due to their fast breed cycles. Coatl and Wildclaw scrolls are expensive yes, but not unobtainable. I’d leave that decision up to you, is the longer breeding cool down worth the ~2000 gems you’d save?
Hjönk Hjönk Am Goose
My advice is: don't! Lol.

No seriously be ready for a life of pain. I have so many breeding projects and they take years to accomplish sometimes. Especially if you are breeding for genes in addition to colors and eyes. So just be prepared if it doesn't happen for you right away.

My other advice is to stick to a set number of projects so you don't run out of lair space impulse buying breeding project dragons. I have 16 projects going I think? It's a slippery slope, and I still haven't achieved the original project that got me into breeding projects.

Oh, and make use of your hibernal den for storing between breeding cycles if you can. I suggest spreadsheets to keep everything organized. Ask for nest rentals a day ahead since it can take some time for people to respond. Good luck!
My advice is: don't! Lol.

No seriously be ready for a life of pain. I have so many breeding projects and they take years to accomplish sometimes. Especially if you are breeding for genes in addition to colors and eyes. So just be prepared if it doesn't happen for you right away.

My other advice is to stick to a set number of projects so you don't run out of lair space impulse buying breeding project dragons. I have 16 projects going I think? It's a slippery slope, and I still haven't achieved the original project that got me into breeding projects.

Oh, and make use of your hibernal den for storing between breeding cycles if you can. I suggest spreadsheets to keep everything organized. Ask for nest rentals a day ahead since it can take some time for people to respond. Good luck!
tumblr_o8bdqi2D0C1tddvg0o2_1280.png
check the ranges. check again and again. really really check those ranges. don't be boo boo the fool like me and breed maize and pearl hoping for cream.
but otherwise have fun! i've only done the one breeding project haha
check the ranges. check again and again. really really check those ranges. don't be boo boo the fool like me and breed maize and pearl hoping for cream.
but otherwise have fun! i've only done the one breeding project haha

____babab__aebe_
Vista: Bisexual Ribbon Vista: Genderfluid Ribbon
Hmm. I havent done a lot lot of breeding projects but what I have learned so far is:

Be very stric with what dragons you keep. If you are big on coli, exalt or sell every hatchling that doesnt meet the cut, don't keep unnecesarry dragons, it just fills up den space.

Invest time into grinding for hibernal items, hibernal den will be your biggest friend (specially considering if you want to juggle multiple projects. Stick even fodder in there, to get as much space possible.

Don't try to work on more than two projects if you don't have the final pairing (the one that will give you ur chosen colors).

Also, as said above, don't stress over genes, you can always grind for that later, colors are more important if you want a specific combo.

And finally, do yourself a favor and don't chose projects with expensive genes, since that way you can focus on color and then simply buy from the marketplace

Good luck with ur projects, if you choose to start one!
Hmm. I havent done a lot lot of breeding projects but what I have learned so far is:

Be very stric with what dragons you keep. If you are big on coli, exalt or sell every hatchling that doesnt meet the cut, don't keep unnecesarry dragons, it just fills up den space.

Invest time into grinding for hibernal items, hibernal den will be your biggest friend (specially considering if you want to juggle multiple projects. Stick even fodder in there, to get as much space possible.

Don't try to work on more than two projects if you don't have the final pairing (the one that will give you ur chosen colors).

Also, as said above, don't stress over genes, you can always grind for that later, colors are more important if you want a specific combo.

And finally, do yourself a favor and don't chose projects with expensive genes, since that way you can focus on color and then simply buy from the marketplace

Good luck with ur projects, if you choose to start one!
hdCEH9z.png

nefzg1V.png
WKtl2lb.png

1 2 3