Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Anyone else kinda sad about the turkeys?
1 2 3 4 5
I don’t care about the turkeys and I can certainly respect the decision made to make them year round.

That being said, I would love to have other seasonal familiars even if they don’t collide with real world holidays.
I don’t care about the turkeys and I can certainly respect the decision made to make them year round.

That being said, I would love to have other seasonal familiars even if they don’t collide with real world holidays.
I'm pretty indifferent, it took me years to get a turkey anyways because I kept forgetting to farm during the season (I'm not American so I don't follow when American thanksgiving is lol).

I would like some more generic seasonal familiars, but it would be better if they weren't tied to real life holidays like the seasonal sphinxes or the food holiday ones. It makes coli farming a bit more interesting, while avoiding controversy that real life holiday things can cause.

When the turkeys were released everyone was pretty surprised because the staff had previously said they wouldn't celebrate real life holidays. I guess they made exceptions for a few (also see Valentine's day) but since a lot of holidays are tied to religion it could seem exclusionary of people who don't celebrate them. And I guess thanksgiving kinda falls into that category of potentially controversial holidays.
I'm pretty indifferent, it took me years to get a turkey anyways because I kept forgetting to farm during the season (I'm not American so I don't follow when American thanksgiving is lol).

I would like some more generic seasonal familiars, but it would be better if they weren't tied to real life holidays like the seasonal sphinxes or the food holiday ones. It makes coli farming a bit more interesting, while avoiding controversy that real life holiday things can cause.

When the turkeys were released everyone was pretty surprised because the staff had previously said they wouldn't celebrate real life holidays. I guess they made exceptions for a few (also see Valentine's day) but since a lot of holidays are tied to religion it could seem exclusionary of people who don't celebrate them. And I guess thanksgiving kinda falls into that category of potentially controversial holidays.
jCVhFoZ.gif
I’m kinda sad. I feels like it lost its special-ness?
I’m kinda sad. I feels like it lost its special-ness?
PJEKw3i.pngOgf6rFV.pngLpWn6Hu.png
[quote name="FallenAngel" date="2020-07-05 10:41:49" ] Why did they have to remove it rather than just rename it and give it good lore? [/quote] @FallenAngel They didn't remove them, they're just always in the Boreal Wood now.
FallenAngel wrote on 2020-07-05 10:41:49:
Why did they have to remove it rather than just rename it and give it good lore?
@FallenAngel They didn't remove them, they're just always in the Boreal Wood now.
cg6Ogwx.pngc76891238bc7cd166aeb215c480467c97a9ca8f1.png866GSCw.png
I didn't even realize thanksgiving was tied to some controversial stuff until others in this thread mentioned that it was, so I'm kinda glad they removed the ties from the holiday.
I didn't even realize thanksgiving was tied to some controversial stuff until others in this thread mentioned that it was, so I'm kinda glad they removed the ties from the holiday.
o1jrXWY.png
Nope! Why have an event that just specific to one country, when myself and many, many, MANY other users aren't from that country, don't celebrate that event, and don't care abt it? It'd be the same as having Christmas or Easter.
Nope! Why have an event that just specific to one country, when myself and many, many, MANY other users aren't from that country, don't celebrate that event, and don't care abt it? It'd be the same as having Christmas or Easter.
owleics.gif
You could still go and hunt turkeys specifically on that date if you want though? Treat it as your own tradition.
You could still go and hunt turkeys specifically on that date if you want though? Treat it as your own tradition.
.~.~*~.~.
~* SCB *~
* accent *
~*shop*~
.~.~*~.~.

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *
-_-JRZc9fI.png
I'm hoping they get rid of all real world holiday stuff including Valentine's day and instead replace them with in universe holidays! It would be nice to see a special calendar online of upcoming dragon holidays and would add a nice bit of lore to flight rising.
I'm hoping they get rid of all real world holiday stuff including Valentine's day and instead replace them with in universe holidays! It would be nice to see a special calendar online of upcoming dragon holidays and would add a nice bit of lore to flight rising.
I'm all for it, and glad they went the route of just making the turkeys year-round. I'm going to be honest, it always felt weird that the turkey ghosts were always there, but not the living ones.

Besides, we have the Microholidays now. One of which is a harvest festival. Slightly off-topic, but I've always loved how this site doesn't do Christmas stuff, but does have a thing for the winter solstice with NotN. It gives me a nice place to escape all of that.
I'm all for it, and glad they went the route of just making the turkeys year-round. I'm going to be honest, it always felt weird that the turkey ghosts were always there, but not the living ones.

Besides, we have the Microholidays now. One of which is a harvest festival. Slightly off-topic, but I've always loved how this site doesn't do Christmas stuff, but does have a thing for the winter solstice with NotN. It gives me a nice place to escape all of that.
jwrNMVA.png
So full of ideas. So terrible at using them.
At least there's still capitalism.
[quote name="SCB" date="2020-07-04 21:01:02" ] I think it's a removal of Thanksgiving and all the questionable historic connotations that come with it. [/quote] This is what I was thinking. I remember when the turkeys first showed up, there were people opposed to having them only available for Thanksgiving because of the historical connotations. I have to say that I agree with them and I'm glad FR staff went this route. This has probably already been mentioned, but maybe they could make a seasonal coli enemy for each micro-holiday to fill the turkey's place. In addition to having the crabs, beavers, boars, and lynxes drop at increased rates during their corresponding seasonal holidays and reduced rates the rest of the year, I'd love to see an actual seasonal enemy that you can fight and get a chance of getting its familiar, and then it leaves until the next year. Just like with the turkeys, but following the theme of the seasonal holidays. Each seasonal holiday would have its own enemy and there would be no chance of getting it outside of that time window, so there would still be some rarity to it.
SCB wrote on 2020-07-04 21:01:02:
I think it's a removal of Thanksgiving and all the questionable historic connotations that come with it.
This is what I was thinking. I remember when the turkeys first showed up, there were people opposed to having them only available for Thanksgiving because of the historical connotations. I have to say that I agree with them and I'm glad FR staff went this route.

This has probably already been mentioned, but maybe they could make a seasonal coli enemy for each micro-holiday to fill the turkey's place. In addition to having the crabs, beavers, boars, and lynxes drop at increased rates during their corresponding seasonal holidays and reduced rates the rest of the year, I'd love to see an actual seasonal enemy that you can fight and get a chance of getting its familiar, and then it leaves until the next year. Just like with the turkeys, but following the theme of the seasonal holidays. Each seasonal holiday would have its own enemy and there would be no chance of getting it outside of that time window, so there would still be some rarity to it.
MUYNhfy.png
VPnffeY.png
Achillean (NB Achillean flag)
rix3ppo.png
WKtl2lb.png
J7D1quC.png
l4bF82r.pngR9wtXaf.pngiZMfJug.pngwE8InSj.pngBjG9OOU.pnga6YPmbH.gif47CqiMq.gif
ASbXVY4.png
bYt72YT.png
tqGkHih.png
4SE4T9N.png
KrIo0N3.png