Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Anyone else kinda sad about the turkeys?
1 2 3 4 5
Hmmm. I am curious to hear this thread's response:

How would you feel about planetary/solar system based events?
(For example, solstice, equinox, etc.)

Non-national, although arguably tied to certain civilizations these days, they are also celebrated in many of the older civilizations around the world in various ways, so it's... pancultural?
(I think that's an appropriate word to use here?)

Not completely out of the Real Life issue, but not particularly tied to any one culture.
And as they are generally a day or two max, that solves the concept of a short holiday? Could do a familiar and possibly apparel to match for each. There are a few, but without looking them up, I know of four main ones. Shortest day of the year, longest, and the two perfectly equal ones between them.

(But not like the food tied holidays! Honestly, the familiars for the food holidays are not special to me anymore, the Coli drops were so plentiful and widespread, I didn't have to do anything special, like go to one venue, to get them, and ended up with six of each, plus fewer standard drops, I think...)

I agree with the reasoning for removing this holiday from the mix, but also agree that the exclusivity was appealing, even if I didn't really care about getting a turkey.
I live in North America, for whatever that's worth, so I have some understanding of the holiday, culturally.
Hmmm. I am curious to hear this thread's response:

How would you feel about planetary/solar system based events?
(For example, solstice, equinox, etc.)

Non-national, although arguably tied to certain civilizations these days, they are also celebrated in many of the older civilizations around the world in various ways, so it's... pancultural?
(I think that's an appropriate word to use here?)

Not completely out of the Real Life issue, but not particularly tied to any one culture.
And as they are generally a day or two max, that solves the concept of a short holiday? Could do a familiar and possibly apparel to match for each. There are a few, but without looking them up, I know of four main ones. Shortest day of the year, longest, and the two perfectly equal ones between them.

(But not like the food tied holidays! Honestly, the familiars for the food holidays are not special to me anymore, the Coli drops were so plentiful and widespread, I didn't have to do anything special, like go to one venue, to get them, and ended up with six of each, plus fewer standard drops, I think...)

I agree with the reasoning for removing this holiday from the mix, but also agree that the exclusivity was appealing, even if I didn't really care about getting a turkey.
I live in North America, for whatever that's worth, so I have some understanding of the holiday, culturally.
@Starphire

Solstice events sound great! Imagine how cool eclipse events would be, too! Plenty of neat real life annual happenings that you can implement- which could also boost interest in Dom for people wanting to claim specific minifests. And you would only do apparel/familiars once, add an extra piece of apparel or familiar or openable if you really have extra time on your hand.

I wish the mini-fest gathering familiars were also in the coli and not available year-round, just to boost the minifests. Plus, the valentines swans in coli could be cool.

I think the holiday removed entirely is the best choice- any rename would just still be a very clear allusion to the source material and I don't think could break its origin. NOTN, for example, really has little to do specifically to any one of the winter holidays, beyond opening gifts. But, like, Turkeys in Fall? Only one thing that could be, no matter how much you try to say it's just migratory patterns or whatever.
@Starphire

Solstice events sound great! Imagine how cool eclipse events would be, too! Plenty of neat real life annual happenings that you can implement- which could also boost interest in Dom for people wanting to claim specific minifests. And you would only do apparel/familiars once, add an extra piece of apparel or familiar or openable if you really have extra time on your hand.

I wish the mini-fest gathering familiars were also in the coli and not available year-round, just to boost the minifests. Plus, the valentines swans in coli could be cool.

I think the holiday removed entirely is the best choice- any rename would just still be a very clear allusion to the source material and I don't think could break its origin. NOTN, for example, really has little to do specifically to any one of the winter holidays, beyond opening gifts. But, like, Turkeys in Fall? Only one thing that could be, no matter how much you try to say it's just migratory patterns or whatever.
She/He
Pan - Poly
Drew / Lemons
1tpb8sw.gif
Honestly, as someone outside the US i thought the turkeys showing up all year round was a lore change as the staff called it a change in 'migration patterns'. There is other lore somewhere out there about the Southern Icefield shrinking due to the warring of the Flamecaller and Windsinger, and it could be a nod to rising temperatures / global warming.

Coupled with the lore around the Tidelord as well (climate change also causes changes in ocean circulation) , it would make a compelling story.
Honestly, as someone outside the US i thought the turkeys showing up all year round was a lore change as the staff called it a change in 'migration patterns'. There is other lore somewhere out there about the Southern Icefield shrinking due to the warring of the Flamecaller and Windsinger, and it could be a nod to rising temperatures / global warming.

Coupled with the lore around the Tidelord as well (climate change also causes changes in ocean circulation) , it would make a compelling story.
DC2.S?GmL-W-TPaPlSkfCbr|br-B-AFr--NpM-H+$-FoR+Ac+J--S--U--I-V?Q---Tc---E++Df+
1 2 3 4 5