Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Why do artists hate drawing Crystal?
1 2 3
@RubieKanary I'd say that Circuit is easier than Crystal or Facet, because there isn't nearly as much texture, and it's much easier to mess up C/F and harder to know how to fix it.
@RubieKanary I'd say that Circuit is easier than Crystal or Facet, because there isn't nearly as much texture, and it's much easier to mess up C/F and harder to know how to fix it.
O7jJYHV.png Gn1pwrs.png UQDD8WB.png
cryface is tedious to render at best

I also hate gembond
cryface is tedious to render at best

I also hate gembond
tumblr_pnm56aOHEm1r54jk5o2_250.pngtumblr_pnm56aOHEm1r54jk5o6_250.pngtumblr_pnm56aOHEm1r54jk5o5_250.pngtumblr_pnm56aOHEm1r54jk5o4_75sq.png
[quote name="AboveClouds" date="2019-04-01 06:16:15" ] Circuit is much easier IMO because it's just a flat color. All you have to do is draw it correctly, which is easy if you pay attention to the lines on the dragon. It can be simplified for simpler styles too. By comparison, crystal is fairly odd. Yes, it's a lot of triangles, but you pretty much have to copy the style on the website for it to look right. If you try to simplify it for your style, it might not look the same at all. [/quote] This sounds about right. My one and only attempt at drawing Crystal looks like [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2173091/8#post_32229197]this.[/url] The official art I was using for reference looks like this: [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=174&bodygene=7&breed=6&element=7&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=27&tertgene=11&winggene=13&wings=71&auth=c8ffac9fb37814da3e33e6130bbf5f27889aa999&dummyext=prev.png[/img] Not only do you have to draw a bunch of triangles, but you have to 'eyedrop' (extract) a whole bunch of different colors and distribute the differently-colored triangles evenly. Adding the crystal effects to my dragon's horns and face was so tedious that I gave up and flat-colored the rest [s]because I'm an artistic wimp.[/s]
AboveClouds wrote on 2019-04-01 06:16:15:
Circuit is much easier IMO because it's just a flat color. All you have to do is draw it correctly, which is easy if you pay attention to the lines on the dragon. It can be simplified for simpler styles too.

By comparison, crystal is fairly odd. Yes, it's a lot of triangles, but you pretty much have to copy the style on the website for it to look right. If you try to simplify it for your style, it might not look the same at all.

This sounds about right. My one and only attempt at drawing Crystal looks like this. The official art I was using for reference looks like this:

dragon?age=0&body=174&bodygene=7&breed=6&element=7&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=27&tertgene=11&winggene=13&wings=71&auth=c8ffac9fb37814da3e33e6130bbf5f27889aa999&dummyext=prev.png

Not only do you have to draw a bunch of triangles, but you have to 'eyedrop' (extract) a whole bunch of different colors and distribute the differently-colored triangles evenly. Adding the crystal effects to my dragon's horns and face was so tedious that I gave up and flat-colored the rest because I'm an artistic wimp.
@DarkMatterDragon

Understandable. But circuit to me is like 1 hour of buildup without the release. Very unsatisfying.
@DarkMatterDragon

Understandable. But circuit to me is like 1 hour of buildup without the release. Very unsatisfying.
u5avu4X.png fWfedcf.png
Haven't drawn anything fr, but i wouldn't even try to make crystal/facet. First you'd have to either hand draw the surface according to a dragon's contour and fill each triangle with different gradients and colors while also maintaining the dragon's silhouette or generate a suitable texture and deform it to the dragon - and both are time-consuming processes.

I know a lot of players think they look tacky, but the effort that the genes must have taken in the first place must be incredible.
Haven't drawn anything fr, but i wouldn't even try to make crystal/facet. First you'd have to either hand draw the surface according to a dragon's contour and fill each triangle with different gradients and colors while also maintaining the dragon's silhouette or generate a suitable texture and deform it to the dragon - and both are time-consuming processes.

I know a lot of players think they look tacky, but the effort that the genes must have taken in the first place must be incredible.
OcyPyoj.png
I think it's hard because cry face sort of relies on defined muscles/wrinkles to bring out the full effect. It definitely takes a bit of trial and error to get cry face to look "right". If you put down the triangles willy nilly it'll just look like a hot mess (I have a couple of these haha) I'm not totally against drawing it but I definitely find circuit way simpler since it's just a series of right angles and circles here's one of my nicer "stylised" ones [url=http://fav.me/db8ee1u][img]https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/192c2387-8b0e-4579-aa19-b5b753eb971c/db8ee1u-7c328c9e-d028-40c2-90a7-3fb430695018.png/v1/crop/w_198,h_250,x_0,y_0,scl_0.398,strp/fr__yixing___joydom_by_baelfin_db8ee1u-250t.png[/img][/url] but yeah, if you don't have a good grasp of anatomy and shading, I can imagine that cry face would give you a headache
I think it's hard because cry face sort of relies on defined muscles/wrinkles to bring out the full effect. It definitely takes a bit of trial and error to get cry face to look "right". If you put down the triangles willy nilly it'll just look like a hot mess (I have a couple of these haha)

I'm not totally against drawing it but I definitely find circuit way simpler since it's just a series of right angles and circles

here's one of my nicer "stylised" ones
fr__yixing___joydom_by_baelfin_db8ee1u-250t.png

but yeah, if you don't have a good grasp of anatomy and shading, I can imagine that cry face would give you a headache
COT3Kxt.gif Etsy
I love cry/fac. Mostly because I tend to do my own version of it (I don't draw genes to be 100% like the on site ones because that'd be tedious)

Crackle though...Keep that horrible thing away from me ;_;
I love cry/fac. Mostly because I tend to do my own version of it (I don't draw genes to be 100% like the on site ones because that'd be tedious)

Crackle though...Keep that horrible thing away from me ;_;
Always buying
Abyss/Gloom/X
Gen Ones.
Feel free to PM 8.png
wsTw09i.png
*Wishlist
*Art Shop
*Adoptables
*Skins/Accents
3R1xnew.pnglq7TbRo.png
Crystal and Facet tend to be more 'textured' genes, which makes them harder to draw overall. Plus you have a bit more color in the dragon-the individual shiny parts, as well as highlights/contrast that isn't 100% what you might assume they are. Because of this, it takes a bit more time/effort to plan, which I imagine cuts into the profitability of adoptable dragon art.
Crystal and Facet tend to be more 'textured' genes, which makes them harder to draw overall. Plus you have a bit more color in the dragon-the individual shiny parts, as well as highlights/contrast that isn't 100% what you might assume they are. Because of this, it takes a bit more time/effort to plan, which I imagine cuts into the profitability of adoptable dragon art.
[img]http://oohlo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/fearnothing.gif[/img] I've drawn all of these. Cry/Fac, Iri/Shim/Gem XXX... COMBINED with skins and animations. All in pixel sprites which makes things... a little more complicated since you need to squeeze everything into a very limited canvas size and color palette. I want to grow as an artist, and if I want to truly call myself a professional, I need to learn all that there is. The fact that I LIKE shiny things is probably somewhat helpful. x'D And now that we also have bugs and intricate constellations and all that? [img]https://media1.giphy.com/media/rjsZfIrX0BG4E/giphy.gif[/img] I don't fear a shiny challenge, at all!
fearnothing.gif

I've drawn all of these. Cry/Fac, Iri/Shim/Gem XXX... COMBINED with skins and animations. All in pixel sprites which makes things... a little more complicated since you need to squeeze everything into a very limited canvas size and color palette. I want to grow as an artist, and if I want to truly call myself a professional, I need to learn all that there is. The fact that I LIKE shiny things is probably somewhat helpful. x'D And now that we also have bugs and intricate constellations and all that?

giphy.gif

I don't fear a shiny challenge, at all!
wind_small.pngnFwZQAF.gifImLwTCX.png
Filigree can also die thanks
Filigree can also die thanks
9oRPa8v.png
1 2 3