Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | ...but mirrors dont have pupils?
1 2 3 4
As an artist, I've always [i]hated[/i] that mirrors don't have pupils, in particular because they're one of my top favourite breeds to draw. The direction a figure is looking is really important in conveying emotion. Sure, if they're an omnipotent god having no pupils helps make them seem more "detached" and mysterious, but for your average joe dragon it's a little weird. As a result, I've always drawn pupils in the larger pair anyway. Because they're a heat-sensing pair the front eyes are a little different, so I usually use a small white ring in place of a pupil. [img]https://i.imgur.com/Pcrzt52.png[/img] However if we want to be 100% anatomically correct, It's possible for them to have a normal pupil there anyway. Infared, aka heat, is just part of the spectrum that we humans can't see, however there are plenty of animals that can, although only a few do so with their eyes. For example, bullfrogs are capable of seeing infared light through their eyes, which clearly have pupils. Some fish are also capable of activating an enzyme that enables them to see infared. So I guess while it isn't incorrect for that pair of eyes to have no pupil, it isn't incorrect for them to have pupils either. I for one, as an artist who likes being able to fully display emotion in my drawings, enjoy canon mirror pupils!
As an artist, I've always hated that mirrors don't have pupils, in particular because they're one of my top favourite breeds to draw. The direction a figure is looking is really important in conveying emotion. Sure, if they're an omnipotent god having no pupils helps make them seem more "detached" and mysterious, but for your average joe dragon it's a little weird.

As a result, I've always drawn pupils in the larger pair anyway. Because they're a heat-sensing pair the front eyes are a little different, so I usually use a small white ring in place of a pupil.
Pcrzt52.png
However if we want to be 100% anatomically correct, It's possible for them to have a normal pupil there anyway.

Infared, aka heat, is just part of the spectrum that we humans can't see, however there are plenty of animals that can, although only a few do so with their eyes. For example, bullfrogs are capable of seeing infared light through their eyes, which clearly have pupils. Some fish are also capable of activating an enzyme that enables them to see infared.

So I guess while it isn't incorrect for that pair of eyes to have no pupil, it isn't incorrect for them to have pupils either. I for one, as an artist who likes being able to fully display emotion in my drawings, enjoy canon mirror pupils!
3bOUqr5.png - Skin Shop

- Hatchery

- Wild Dog Subspecies
@DragonDraws as an artist too i understand what you're saying and i like how you do things (and i really like how you draw the small set of eyes!), my issue isn't the art, but the design inconsistency; to me it seems like the existence of the pupils is more of a representation of the fantasy nature than the realism of the art. and i understand heat/infrared is just out of humans' visual range, but again, i cite inconsistency as my issue.

(also as a tease, the challenge of conveying full emotion without pupils could be just as fun :P)
@DragonDraws as an artist too i understand what you're saying and i like how you do things (and i really like how you draw the small set of eyes!), my issue isn't the art, but the design inconsistency; to me it seems like the existence of the pupils is more of a representation of the fantasy nature than the realism of the art. and i understand heat/infrared is just out of humans' visual range, but again, i cite inconsistency as my issue.

(also as a tease, the challenge of conveying full emotion without pupils could be just as fun :P)
Alpha :: FR+0
they/them or
he/him please!

tumblr_inline_ojq6kyaRlG1r2ao8y_540.pngtumblr_inline_ojq6kvO0vd1r2ao8y_540.pngtumblr_inline_ojq6kzLZx61r2ao8y_540.png
_____ vxsLSdd.png _ ° Wishlist
° Badges
° Clan Exalter
° Scatter Quest
° UMs for Sale
__ ° Hug Moist?
° Moistling Sales
° Nest Rentals
° SIDHA
° 8x8/90mil!
__ TTTYQHv.png 1XIVewE.gif
@Alphazi Yeah, you're right, it's simply lazy, but if you wait for Art on this site to be fixed you'll only end up driving yourself crazy or at least making yourself sadder.

How long has it been since Runes was released? And it still hasn't been fixed on all breeds/colours.
@Alphazi Yeah, you're right, it's simply lazy, but if you wait for Art on this site to be fixed you'll only end up driving yourself crazy or at least making yourself sadder.

How long has it been since Runes was released? And it still hasn't been fixed on all breeds/colours.
LkR1s2d.png
[quote name="HeavyRoads" date="2018-10-19 23:31:15" ] Shh he’s special [/quote]
HeavyRoads wrote on 2018-10-19 23:31:15:
Shh he’s special
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
So are baby Mirror pupils gonna be the new meme like Fae Necks?
So are baby Mirror pupils gonna be the new meme like Fae Necks?
I am a proud Nature Flight Sapling!
banner_by_scarlit_of_aurora-d68nxtf.png
@BlindBard i don't think i expected it to be fixed, i just saw it as a bad choice & i'm hoping things in the future are better (or at least more consistent). do you think it's something to suggest in the suggestion forums?
@BlindBard i don't think i expected it to be fixed, i just saw it as a bad choice & i'm hoping things in the future are better (or at least more consistent). do you think it's something to suggest in the suggestion forums?
they/them or
he/him please!

tumblr_inline_ojq6kyaRlG1r2ao8y_540.pngtumblr_inline_ojq6kvO0vd1r2ao8y_540.pngtumblr_inline_ojq6kzLZx61r2ao8y_540.png
° Badges
° Clan Exalter
° Scatter Quest
° UMs for Sale
__ ° Hug Moist?
° Moistling Sales
° Nest Rentals
° SIDHA
° 8x8/90mil!
@emeraldarcanine i wouldn't say so, because fae necks have always been there, but this is a new thing
@emeraldarcanine i wouldn't say so, because fae necks have always been there, but this is a new thing
they/them or
he/him please!

° Badges
° Clan Exalter
° Scatter Quest
° UMs for Sale
__ ° Hug Moist?
° Moistling Sales
° Nest Rentals
° SIDHA
° 8x8/90mil!
I agree I did raise my eyebrows when I saw baby mirrors with pupils. It doesn't seem to be a thing for adult mirrors (can't really tell because the eyes are so small) which makes it even more odd of a design choice. I don't think it looks bad, but I would've personally preferred the display of unique breed characteristics (no pupils) over uniform design across all breeds.
I agree I did raise my eyebrows when I saw baby mirrors with pupils. It doesn't seem to be a thing for adult mirrors (can't really tell because the eyes are so small) which makes it even more odd of a design choice. I don't think it looks bad, but I would've personally preferred the display of unique breed characteristics (no pupils) over uniform design across all breeds.
i thought this said but mirrors don't have paypal and i was extremely confused
i thought this said but mirrors don't have paypal and i was extremely confused
SIjKhX7.png
You guys know Faes are the same right? [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=97&bodygene=1&breed=1&element=11&eyetype=8&gender=1&tert=30&tertgene=16&winggene=4&wings=45&auth=4c91c03747cfa0b5678ba3b2a25b7e5a8afc4302&dummyext=prev.png[/img]
You guys know Faes are the same right?
dragon?age=0&body=97&bodygene=1&breed=1&element=11&eyetype=8&gender=1&tert=30&tertgene=16&winggene=4&wings=45&auth=4c91c03747cfa0b5678ba3b2a25b7e5a8afc4302&dummyext=prev.png
zBb62uZ.pngkiukE70.png1.png
1 2 3 4