Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Breeding Cooldown too long -- opinion
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 13
@Dragoness, and given that you can't read tone over text, someone could wind up assuming you're all hot and bothered or snarking them when in reality you're not.
@Dragoness, and given that you can't read tone over text, someone could wind up assuming you're all hot and bothered or snarking them when in reality you're not.
coffee. need coffee.
Very true. Sometimes dogged pursuits of discussion are interpreted by others as "someone getting on my case" xD
Very true. Sometimes dogged pursuits of discussion are interpreted by others as "someone getting on my case" xD
1kz7OWt.png
[quote name="Dragoness" date="2013-06-23 16:03:00" url="main.php?p=mb&board=frd&page=4&id=134582#137896"]@bloodspun I don't think it was you, the person I was referring to said it 2 weeks ago and said it in a very "the game will be better without you" sort of way. Sorry about the misunderstanding! I've also suggested to some of my friends that they just log on and feed their dragons or something if they aren't enjoying the game play. Time away helps the nerves, LOL! I'm with you on that though-- if I ever have disputes with a user or get like, overly O_O'd at them I just log off or get out of the forums for a while xD I usually don't even give 'em the satisfaction of knowing they riled me up.[/quote] Yeah, I think I saw that user and then they went all 'I'M SORRY' on me or something, and I just ignored them.
@bloodspun
I don't think it was you, the person I was referring to said it 2 weeks ago and said it in a very "the game will be better without you" sort of way.

Sorry about the misunderstanding! I've also suggested to some of my friends that they just log on and feed their dragons or something if they aren't enjoying the game play. Time away helps the nerves, LOL!

I'm with you on that though-- if I ever have disputes with a user or get like, overly O_O'd at them I just log off or get out of the forums for a while xD I usually don't even give 'em the satisfaction of knowing they riled me up.
Yeah, I think I saw that user and then they went all 'I'M SORRY' on me or something, and I just ignored them.
[quote name="Technicolor" date="2013-06-23 15:14:22" url="main.php?p=mb&board=frd&page=3&id=134582#137294"]@Bloodspun Holy smokes good job, you've got this site by the reigns. You must lay waste to those runes/puzzles, [b]but unfortunately not everyone's good at them[/b]. I think that's where part of our problem lies. I hope the new games coming offer a little more range of play for others.[/quote] ^This. I'm not good at memory games, and jigsaws only infuriate me. I only really use fairgrounds to top off my money if I'm short on a payment. But, even then, without selling any hatchlings (I just traded them for unrelated ones), I've managed to earn about 150k so far. Grinding in the coli really pays off when they drop an in-demand ability or familiar. My experience with petsites? Sometimes, breeding is too easy. Wajas and Khimeros were such sites. People breed just to breed, and ultimately only Gen1s and [i]maybe[/i] Gen2s have any significant value. With the only feasable way to get Gen1s being to shell out a bunch of real money for them, the site becomes inaccessible to most users and you're still unable to reach your goals. Other sites, reaching your goals is too easy. I joined one petsite, and within a month all my goals had been reached. I got bored and quit. Then you have the sites that hook you. Reaching your goals is almost never too easy or too hard. Windrose, Aywas, and Dragon Cave have been like that for me. Interestingly enough, all three of those sites have limits on breeding. Windrose requires somewhat rare items and a few random events to breed, Aywas has breeding items that can get pretty expensive, and Dragon Cave has ratios that influence the outcome of a breeding based on how many of the breed are on the site. In addition, breeding is not the main focus of Windrose or Aywas. Both have a focus on getting Gen1s via gameplay and scheduled events. On those sites, Gen2+s tend to be just as valuable as Gen1s. On Dragon Cave, the main focus is on collecting, but users often collect dragons based on their lineage. Sometimes, a Gen7 with a well planned lineage is worth more than an otherwise identical Gen1. Many values are dictated by personal preference. And, finally, the breeding cooldown: It's one week. However, you will either get one egg or no egg, except during certain special events. It sometimes takes well over a month for some of the rarer dragons to finally breed true - much longer than even the wildclaw's cooldown! And yet nobody complains. Back to FR: It's harder to get baby dragons, so they're worth more. But if you simply reduce the cooldown time, you'll have more baby dragons that end up being worth less. If you must reduce breeding cooldown, the only way to keep the balance would be to make large clutches less likely.
@Bloodspun Holy smokes good job, you've got this site by the reigns. You must lay waste to those runes/puzzles, but unfortunately not everyone's good at them. I think that's where part of our problem lies. I hope the new games coming offer a little more range of play for others.

^This. I'm not good at memory games, and jigsaws only infuriate me. I only really use fairgrounds to top off my money if I'm short on a payment.

But, even then, without selling any hatchlings (I just traded them for unrelated ones), I've managed to earn about 150k so far. Grinding in the coli really pays off when they drop an in-demand ability or familiar.

My experience with petsites?
Sometimes, breeding is too easy. Wajas and Khimeros were such sites. People breed just to breed, and ultimately only Gen1s and maybe Gen2s have any significant value. With the only feasable way to get Gen1s being to shell out a bunch of real money for them, the site becomes inaccessible to most users and you're still unable to reach your goals.
Other sites, reaching your goals is too easy. I joined one petsite, and within a month all my goals had been reached. I got bored and quit.
Then you have the sites that hook you. Reaching your goals is almost never too easy or too hard. Windrose, Aywas, and Dragon Cave have been like that for me. Interestingly enough, all three of those sites have limits on breeding. Windrose requires somewhat rare items and a few random events to breed, Aywas has breeding items that can get pretty expensive, and Dragon Cave has ratios that influence the outcome of a breeding based on how many of the breed are on the site. In addition, breeding is not the main focus of Windrose or Aywas. Both have a focus on getting Gen1s via gameplay and scheduled events. On those sites, Gen2+s tend to be just as valuable as Gen1s. On Dragon Cave, the main focus is on collecting, but users often collect dragons based on their lineage. Sometimes, a Gen7 with a well planned lineage is worth more than an otherwise identical Gen1. Many values are dictated by personal preference. And, finally, the breeding cooldown: It's one week. However, you will either get one egg or no egg, except during certain special events. It sometimes takes well over a month for some of the rarer dragons to finally breed true - much longer than even the wildclaw's cooldown! And yet nobody complains.

Back to FR: It's harder to get baby dragons, so they're worth more. But if you simply reduce the cooldown time, you'll have more baby dragons that end up being worth less. If you must reduce breeding cooldown, the only way to keep the balance would be to make large clutches less likely.
tumblr_inline_mpqjukx8jw1qz4rgp.png
This is an interesting discussion, and one that I don't think has an easy answer,

To be completely honest, I don't think that the cool downs are going to change at all, no matter how much people request it (even if its in a rational, well reasoned manner).

Yes it is frustrating to get a one egg clutch and have to wait so long for another shot (I have just got 3/4 clutches as one eggers, one of them was on a snapper/pearlcatcher nest that I had to work hard to save up and earn the scrolls for).

Despite this disappointment, I still don't think I'd vote for changing the cool downs. Its part of the game, and it makes getting a good clutch/nice looking hatchies more rewarding for me.

I guess people are wanting something like this:
Maybe winning or having a rare item or a scroll to confer a shorter cool down, or reduce the chances of one clutch eggs? I know there are already 'fertility statues' that you can dig up, so kinda like that but they have a real effect on your clan or a certain dragon?

In suggesting the above though, I really doubt that the devs would put something in like that. They have already said there would never be a 'get rid of cool down' boon so yeah, doubt it will ever happen.

The point about people needing to be able to express honest concerns/complaints is a true one, its horrid that the person on FB acted like this. It is true that the admins are lovely people, who don't deserve irrational hatebashing for things out of their control, but its also true that they are setting this site up to run as a business, and dealing with unhappt customers is a part of that. They will have things in mind for it too, but if hyper-defensive fans step in and start offending people then they are denying the devs the chance to deal with it properly and everyone ends up offened.

I have nothing to complain about so far, and I'm glad that I supported the game at the kickstarter, but if pepple have legit complaints then surely part of having a friendly community is those people being allowed to speak without being flammed?
This is an interesting discussion, and one that I don't think has an easy answer,

To be completely honest, I don't think that the cool downs are going to change at all, no matter how much people request it (even if its in a rational, well reasoned manner).

Yes it is frustrating to get a one egg clutch and have to wait so long for another shot (I have just got 3/4 clutches as one eggers, one of them was on a snapper/pearlcatcher nest that I had to work hard to save up and earn the scrolls for).

Despite this disappointment, I still don't think I'd vote for changing the cool downs. Its part of the game, and it makes getting a good clutch/nice looking hatchies more rewarding for me.

I guess people are wanting something like this:
Maybe winning or having a rare item or a scroll to confer a shorter cool down, or reduce the chances of one clutch eggs? I know there are already 'fertility statues' that you can dig up, so kinda like that but they have a real effect on your clan or a certain dragon?

In suggesting the above though, I really doubt that the devs would put something in like that. They have already said there would never be a 'get rid of cool down' boon so yeah, doubt it will ever happen.

The point about people needing to be able to express honest concerns/complaints is a true one, its horrid that the person on FB acted like this. It is true that the admins are lovely people, who don't deserve irrational hatebashing for things out of their control, but its also true that they are setting this site up to run as a business, and dealing with unhappt customers is a part of that. They will have things in mind for it too, but if hyper-defensive fans step in and start offending people then they are denying the devs the chance to deal with it properly and everyone ends up offened.

I have nothing to complain about so far, and I'm glad that I supported the game at the kickstarter, but if pepple have legit complaints then surely part of having a friendly community is those people being allowed to speak without being flammed?
RoFhatchlingbanner1_zps7e29e49b.jpg
I haven't followed the entire thread but there is always the problem of sheer numbers, the math and the system behind it.

The economy just wouldn't be able to sustain such a huge influx of dragons if breeding goes so fast. It's already an exponential increase as is. If you think about all of the users and all of the thousands of dragons well - in the long run, it will produce a lot of problems.
I haven't followed the entire thread but there is always the problem of sheer numbers, the math and the system behind it.

The economy just wouldn't be able to sustain such a huge influx of dragons if breeding goes so fast. It's already an exponential increase as is. If you think about all of the users and all of the thousands of dragons well - in the long run, it will produce a lot of problems.
banner_art_by_wispywaffle-d7qqr7j.pngbanner_skin_by_wispywaffle-d7qqr7f.png
[quote name="Technicolor" date="2013-06-23 13:07:27" url="main.php?p=mb&board=frd&page=2&id=134582#135655"]They probably haven't complained because they get this sort of insanity on their posts, and a bunch of people want to avoid that. I've got a friend who donated to the kickstarter who is frustrated by it, and another who is getting an imperial hatchling sooner or later who is also rather bummed by the news, just because they're not vocal doesn't mean they're content[/quote] This, pretty much. I have some... unpopular opinions on clutch sizes. Not necessarily breeding cooldowns, because I would be okay with the long cooldowns if the clutch size system was altered. I am [i]extremely[/i] unhappy and frustrated with the system as is. And the friends I've talked to also agree with it. Thing is, I feel like voicing my opinion is a wasted effort because I'm probably going to get shot down by a swarm people who think I want instant gratification or what-have-you.
They probably haven't complained because they get this sort of insanity on their posts, and a bunch of people want to avoid that. I've got a friend who donated to the kickstarter who is frustrated by it, and another who is getting an imperial hatchling sooner or later who is also rather bummed by the news, just because they're not vocal doesn't mean they're content

This, pretty much.

I have some... unpopular opinions on clutch sizes. Not necessarily breeding cooldowns, because I would be okay with the long cooldowns if the clutch size system was altered. I am extremely unhappy and frustrated with the system as is. And the friends I've talked to also agree with it.

Thing is, I feel like voicing my opinion is a wasted effort because I'm probably going to get shot down by a swarm people who think I want instant gratification or what-have-you.
I don't see the point of shortening the breeding cooldown when within a month or two, dragons are going to be so plentiful that everyone is going to be able to have a full lair and full nests practically every day.

I also don't see the point of people complaining that they have no treasure because they don't have any time to do anything on the site. The game model, free to play with cash shop, supports two playstyles: people who have time as their main resource, who become competitive in the game by spending time on it, and people who have money as their main resource, who have less time to spend on the game but become competitive by spending money on it. Ideally the people who have only time and the people who have only money should be fairly equal in the game. I feel that Flight Rising is pretty close to this ideal and is inclusive of damn near everyone who wants to play. If you don't fit into the game model because you have neither time nor money, you are probably not to blame for that, but neither is Flight Rising's game model.
I don't see the point of shortening the breeding cooldown when within a month or two, dragons are going to be so plentiful that everyone is going to be able to have a full lair and full nests practically every day.

I also don't see the point of people complaining that they have no treasure because they don't have any time to do anything on the site. The game model, free to play with cash shop, supports two playstyles: people who have time as their main resource, who become competitive in the game by spending time on it, and people who have money as their main resource, who have less time to spend on the game but become competitive by spending money on it. Ideally the people who have only time and the people who have only money should be fairly equal in the game. I feel that Flight Rising is pretty close to this ideal and is inclusive of damn near everyone who wants to play. If you don't fit into the game model because you have neither time nor money, you are probably not to blame for that, but neither is Flight Rising's game model.
3IvN2SV.png
@Fulgora, since I'm one of the ones who mentions instant gratification:

There have not only been rational discussions on the matter, there have also been "well this is boring, they're too long!" with comparisons to other pet sites.

It gets old.

And, yeah, my first two nests were one and two eggs respectively. It was disappointing but I made it work because I was well aware the site was new, the mechanic was new, the population was new and just starting out, everything was new and I also knew it was working as intended and to keep faith that the devs had a plan. I also listened to the alpha and beta testers and devs who promised it would get better and it is.

Basically, if you (GENERAL) won't give it a chance for it to work as intended because you aren't getting what you want right then and there, it really starts to feel like a demand for instant gratification.
@Fulgora, since I'm one of the ones who mentions instant gratification:

There have not only been rational discussions on the matter, there have also been "well this is boring, they're too long!" with comparisons to other pet sites.

It gets old.

And, yeah, my first two nests were one and two eggs respectively. It was disappointing but I made it work because I was well aware the site was new, the mechanic was new, the population was new and just starting out, everything was new and I also knew it was working as intended and to keep faith that the devs had a plan. I also listened to the alpha and beta testers and devs who promised it would get better and it is.

Basically, if you (GENERAL) won't give it a chance for it to work as intended because you aren't getting what you want right then and there, it really starts to feel like a demand for instant gratification.
coffee. need coffee.
I think it might help that (I very sincerely hope) prices on dragon hatchlings are falling in the AH now. We've hit the point where everyone is doing their second breedings. Once people are able to buy a third dragon or fourth dragon within a few hours of play, I think the pressure to allow for additional dragons via breeding will slacken.

I just got my second one-egg nest from my second ever breeding, so I'm just plotting roleplay and apparel and fussing over my current dragons.

Timeline wise, I have a theory - just in terms of database load we'll probably have an easier play experience if we let the admin sort out the fairground games and get the second server set up before we push for a setting to add a ton of new data to the system. Hatchlings aging was what was giving the server a mini-meltdown last week (pre-downtime), I believe. So that brings us to - maybe a week? And by then we only have one more week to go before everyone breeds their first gen and second gen and third gen dragons.

Off the top of my head, based on current population numbers and assuming 2 egg nests: 43,000+ dragons as of the 19th. 2000 of those, roughly, being rare breeds, I'll discount that. 41,000 dragons. If we assume even genders, that's 20,500 breeding pairs, and another 41,000 dragons in the next two weeks. We have roughly 14,000 users right now (gosh o_o). That's ~6 dragons per user on average, which should help auction house prices. Admittedly, I'm not sure how exaltation changes the economics, I've never played a game with that feature.

My rambling late night question is, then, will the breeding cooldown still be annoying in two weeks, or when the faireground is fixed? I saw something about a newbie option to avoid turning people off the game right out of the gate. What would that look like? It seems like if someone has a five egg nest and then turns around once that nest hatches and gets a one egg nest... it just doesn't seem like it would be less frustrating.

I've been leaving the rare breed cooldown alone, because I don't own rare breeds and don't really want to.
I think it might help that (I very sincerely hope) prices on dragon hatchlings are falling in the AH now. We've hit the point where everyone is doing their second breedings. Once people are able to buy a third dragon or fourth dragon within a few hours of play, I think the pressure to allow for additional dragons via breeding will slacken.

I just got my second one-egg nest from my second ever breeding, so I'm just plotting roleplay and apparel and fussing over my current dragons.

Timeline wise, I have a theory - just in terms of database load we'll probably have an easier play experience if we let the admin sort out the fairground games and get the second server set up before we push for a setting to add a ton of new data to the system. Hatchlings aging was what was giving the server a mini-meltdown last week (pre-downtime), I believe. So that brings us to - maybe a week? And by then we only have one more week to go before everyone breeds their first gen and second gen and third gen dragons.

Off the top of my head, based on current population numbers and assuming 2 egg nests: 43,000+ dragons as of the 19th. 2000 of those, roughly, being rare breeds, I'll discount that. 41,000 dragons. If we assume even genders, that's 20,500 breeding pairs, and another 41,000 dragons in the next two weeks. We have roughly 14,000 users right now (gosh o_o). That's ~6 dragons per user on average, which should help auction house prices. Admittedly, I'm not sure how exaltation changes the economics, I've never played a game with that feature.

My rambling late night question is, then, will the breeding cooldown still be annoying in two weeks, or when the faireground is fixed? I saw something about a newbie option to avoid turning people off the game right out of the gate. What would that look like? It seems like if someone has a five egg nest and then turns around once that nest hatches and gets a one egg nest... it just doesn't seem like it would be less frustrating.

I've been leaving the rare breed cooldown alone, because I don't own rare breeds and don't really want to.
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 13