Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Breeding Cooldown too long -- opinion
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13
I really don't see the problem with the long breeding cool down, personally. Mainly because dragon lairs will continue to grow in size- starting off it may seem to take awhile but as your lair grows, there will be more pairs to choose from and only a few nests between them so you will be steadily rotating out your pairs. Nor is breeding the 'whole' point of the game- just one of them. Personally I find the coliseum just as important, if not a tad more so, as that impacts things like bonuses for all members of a flight via the rated matches.

Give it time; the breeding cool down is honestly a very good thing in the long term. It only seems restricting in the short term because most of us are just getting started and don't have a lot of pairs to choose from.

As to the rest- It's a young site. Again, give them time to sort things out- there are things even the lengthiest, most thorough beta can't prepare a team for once a site is open to the public, from massive server loads to people doing everything in their power to cheat the system and ruin the experience for other players.
I really don't see the problem with the long breeding cool down, personally. Mainly because dragon lairs will continue to grow in size- starting off it may seem to take awhile but as your lair grows, there will be more pairs to choose from and only a few nests between them so you will be steadily rotating out your pairs. Nor is breeding the 'whole' point of the game- just one of them. Personally I find the coliseum just as important, if not a tad more so, as that impacts things like bonuses for all members of a flight via the rated matches.

Give it time; the breeding cool down is honestly a very good thing in the long term. It only seems restricting in the short term because most of us are just getting started and don't have a lot of pairs to choose from.

As to the rest- It's a young site. Again, give them time to sort things out- there are things even the lengthiest, most thorough beta can't prepare a team for once a site is open to the public, from massive server loads to people doing everything in their power to cheat the system and ruin the experience for other players.
It depends on what your personal focus is, really. I spend a lot of my time in the Coliseum as well and it is as much, if not more of a draw to me than the breeding aspect is. I'm actually pretty excited to collect up enough dragons to start testing different builds, party setups, movesets, etc. Breeding helps me accomplish that, both by boosting my Lair population and giving me trading fodder/income.

I do like breeding and collecting on its own, but I've always seen it as a more passive aspect of this type of game. It's what happens in the background while I do other things.
It depends on what your personal focus is, really. I spend a lot of my time in the Coliseum as well and it is as much, if not more of a draw to me than the breeding aspect is. I'm actually pretty excited to collect up enough dragons to start testing different builds, party setups, movesets, etc. Breeding helps me accomplish that, both by boosting my Lair population and giving me trading fodder/income.

I do like breeding and collecting on its own, but I've always seen it as a more passive aspect of this type of game. It's what happens in the background while I do other things.
...I don't know how people are getting the treasure to buy all these dragons to fill their lair and have a clutch every week, I haven't been able to buy a single dragon I've wanted because I don't have the treasure.
...I don't know how people are getting the treasure to buy all these dragons to fill their lair and have a clutch every week, I haven't been able to buy a single dragon I've wanted because I don't have the treasure.
A lot of people complained about breeding cool downs the first week, because it is frustrating when you don't have many dragons. But already, in my second round of breeding, I'm seeing that soon you'll have a constant stream of breedable dragons. I have three pairs ready; I only have two nests. After 5 days, ill breed the leftover pair, and then I'll already be a third of the way done with the other groups' cool down!
So it'll all work out once you have more dragons.
A lot of people complained about breeding cool downs the first week, because it is frustrating when you don't have many dragons. But already, in my second round of breeding, I'm seeing that soon you'll have a constant stream of breedable dragons. I have three pairs ready; I only have two nests. After 5 days, ill breed the leftover pair, and then I'll already be a third of the way done with the other groups' cool down!
So it'll all work out once you have more dragons.
to the sea and all it bears
Here's a crazy idea... find something else constructive to do with that spare time. o3o

I'm being serious, too. I spend a fair share of time in Coli and, when it's up, the Fair. I like to do the daily tasks and explore the site, etc. When I'm done, I go do something else on the Internet or IRL. Not that hard, honestly.

The fact that breeding takes some time is personally of worth to me. Few things come easy in life, and when they do, they aren't as valuable. Yanno?
Here's a crazy idea... find something else constructive to do with that spare time. o3o

I'm being serious, too. I spend a fair share of time in Coli and, when it's up, the Fair. I like to do the daily tasks and explore the site, etc. When I'm done, I go do something else on the Internet or IRL. Not that hard, honestly.

The fact that breeding takes some time is personally of worth to me. Few things come easy in life, and when they do, they aren't as valuable. Yanno?
sigfr1_by_sakurabomb-d6g42r5.png
@Technicolor

You're being impatient I would have to say the same about @kireitha. The cooldown seems long now, but it's there for a reason.

In the opening days of the site, the number of dragons more than doubled. In a couple of days, those dragons will be ready to breed again, and that amount will more than double. Plus finding additional eggs/dragons around the site, and breeding all of the babies, and all of those babies, etc, etc, well. You begin to see why the admins set the cooldowns the way they did.

I want an Imperial more than anything, but if their cooldown was even half what it is now, they would flood the site within a matter of weeks. Then what? That rare breed that I want so badly will become common. Everything will become common. The cooldown helps everything to maintain its value.

As for the colors...well. I would just have to disagree with you there. The wheel is made up of 67 colors. Every dragon has three of them. That means that the number of possible color combos on ONE breed of dragon is 300,763. Now add in the eleven eye colors. Now add in all of the breeds. Now add in all of the genes. The genders. Accents. Clothes. And the site is still less than a month old! Wait until new colors are added, new genes, new breeds, etc.

I think it's really insulting to say that this game isn't worth the $40,000 kickstarter. Do you know what the price is to run your own server? How much coding went into this site? Look up the original Neopets artwork. Look up Subeta. This site has barely even gotten its feet beneath it yet, and it's already miles beyond all of its predecessors. I guess if you don't agree, no one is stopping you from leaving, but the admin team has been nothing but considerate and helpful, and I for one am amazed by the professional product they managed to put out for just $40,000.
@Technicolor

You're being impatient I would have to say the same about @kireitha. The cooldown seems long now, but it's there for a reason.

In the opening days of the site, the number of dragons more than doubled. In a couple of days, those dragons will be ready to breed again, and that amount will more than double. Plus finding additional eggs/dragons around the site, and breeding all of the babies, and all of those babies, etc, etc, well. You begin to see why the admins set the cooldowns the way they did.

I want an Imperial more than anything, but if their cooldown was even half what it is now, they would flood the site within a matter of weeks. Then what? That rare breed that I want so badly will become common. Everything will become common. The cooldown helps everything to maintain its value.

As for the colors...well. I would just have to disagree with you there. The wheel is made up of 67 colors. Every dragon has three of them. That means that the number of possible color combos on ONE breed of dragon is 300,763. Now add in the eleven eye colors. Now add in all of the breeds. Now add in all of the genes. The genders. Accents. Clothes. And the site is still less than a month old! Wait until new colors are added, new genes, new breeds, etc.

I think it's really insulting to say that this game isn't worth the $40,000 kickstarter. Do you know what the price is to run your own server? How much coding went into this site? Look up the original Neopets artwork. Look up Subeta. This site has barely even gotten its feet beneath it yet, and it's already miles beyond all of its predecessors. I guess if you don't agree, no one is stopping you from leaving, but the admin team has been nothing but considerate and helpful, and I for one am amazed by the professional product they managed to put out for just $40,000.
tumblr_inline_nk71b0gf1I1qg2i5p.png
Although I disagree with the idea of leaving the game completely over this problem, I do agree that the cool-down times of dragons are too long, and just for the reasons that Kireitha stated above; all you can do even on a good day is do your daily stuff (Feed dragons, gather items, familiars, etc), pop into the Trading Post and trade stuff there, play some games, and then grind at the Coliseum if your into that kind of thing, but the whole substance of the game- the breeding of dragons- is sort of lacking right now. I know that this isn't DragonCave (Thank goodness) but there they had a week cool-down times, and I could live with that, you know? Personally I'm not asking to be able to breed them every day, just often enough to make it more... Assessable? :3
Although I disagree with the idea of leaving the game completely over this problem, I do agree that the cool-down times of dragons are too long, and just for the reasons that Kireitha stated above; all you can do even on a good day is do your daily stuff (Feed dragons, gather items, familiars, etc), pop into the Trading Post and trade stuff there, play some games, and then grind at the Coliseum if your into that kind of thing, but the whole substance of the game- the breeding of dragons- is sort of lacking right now. I know that this isn't DragonCave (Thank goodness) but there they had a week cool-down times, and I could live with that, you know? Personally I'm not asking to be able to breed them every day, just often enough to make it more... Assessable? :3
G3Nj7lD.pngLhkETtZ.png

https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ibaz/1837475/
I've already posted my feelings a couple of times, so I'll spare the details and just say I'm strongly in support of the lengthy cool downs.
In fact I can breed two pairs of dragons today, my cool downs are starting to end, but I want to wait. I really like the fact that the cool downs gave me time to get some markings added to my starting clan, so the hatchlings I can breed will be more attractive and valuable. Maybe that's intended, even, by the devs.

However that doesn't mean you are any less entitled to your opinion. I understand, if you are a person who wants a strong central focus on breeding FR probably is going to be very boring right now. I personally do not get the feeling though that breeding is the central mechanic, rather one of several.

My advice to anyone bored right now, because they would like to be able to do more breeding; take a hiatus. I'm not saying that meanly or to get anyone to leave, rather I find it completely logical (oh wow, someone who chose the light flight is about to get all logical: shocking.)

The game is just starting right now, things are rocky, and dragons are as uncommon as they will ever be in the entirety of the game.
Leave for a month or two, those of us who are okay with the long waits will still be breeding our dragons and they will be increasing exponentially in population. When you return eventually, there should be more dragons, possibly cheaper dragons, and hopefully many of the major issues will be ironed out and the games will be playable and such. The economy may be more stable, and who knows what else will have been done.

But then, with more abundant dragons, more adult dragons, it should be easier to snag a lair of dragon breeding pairs and be able to breed new hatchlings fairly frequently.
I've already posted my feelings a couple of times, so I'll spare the details and just say I'm strongly in support of the lengthy cool downs.
In fact I can breed two pairs of dragons today, my cool downs are starting to end, but I want to wait. I really like the fact that the cool downs gave me time to get some markings added to my starting clan, so the hatchlings I can breed will be more attractive and valuable. Maybe that's intended, even, by the devs.

However that doesn't mean you are any less entitled to your opinion. I understand, if you are a person who wants a strong central focus on breeding FR probably is going to be very boring right now. I personally do not get the feeling though that breeding is the central mechanic, rather one of several.

My advice to anyone bored right now, because they would like to be able to do more breeding; take a hiatus. I'm not saying that meanly or to get anyone to leave, rather I find it completely logical (oh wow, someone who chose the light flight is about to get all logical: shocking.)

The game is just starting right now, things are rocky, and dragons are as uncommon as they will ever be in the entirety of the game.
Leave for a month or two, those of us who are okay with the long waits will still be breeding our dragons and they will be increasing exponentially in population. When you return eventually, there should be more dragons, possibly cheaper dragons, and hopefully many of the major issues will be ironed out and the games will be playable and such. The economy may be more stable, and who knows what else will have been done.

But then, with more abundant dragons, more adult dragons, it should be easier to snag a lair of dragon breeding pairs and be able to breed new hatchlings fairly frequently.
@Arronax ...do you really think we're not doing other things, that's a bit of a stretch there.

@Velociriah

Please take into consideration that not everyone has all day to spend on this website, the majority of people do not have that time, which lowers the amount of treasure they can get and then that lowers the amount of dragons they get (due to rather craycray prices). It's hit and miss with gathering eggs and familiars too, some people have the luck, others don't. Thankfully, I'm doing...decently. Otherwise I'd have already left.

And please don't imply that I am impatient, if I hadn't wanted to give this website chance well you wouldn't have even had the chance to talk to me. I never said it's not worth the $40,000, calm down a little there man. The artwork alone is worth a decent chunk of that price, then there's the coding and everything else. It's worth it.

Also, I'm not talking about eye colors, gender, or clothes. To my knowledge eye color is determined by flight and if you want to collect that...well be my guest, gender is... gender, and clothes are not determined by breeding x with y. I'm talking strictly body colors, as you can only get 67 colors, that leaves genes and breeds. Which are probably going to get there soon enough from sheer demand. Then you can factor in the "unwanted" color combos nobody's going to want (as demands for white, black, rare and shiny seem to be very high judging from the dragon sales board).

There are quite a few people online at a time, and more always joining, so I don't quite understand the excuse. It seems large, but when you factor in how many dragons people are eventually going to get...

What I'm saying is, from the standpoint of a person who just joined and is constantly met with roadblock after roadblock just trying to play, it quickly gets frustrating, and they won't want to stay. It's as simple as that, any potential money they would've spent toward Flight Rising is now gone, along with that person telling their friends not to bother with the game. Overall, it's a business. Making it too difficult for your customers isn't exactly... good. Neither is making it too easy, there has to be a balance. 10 days is fine like I said, 30 days is a month to breed a collection of code, and that's... wow.

Plus, people are going to breed willy nilly whether you think so or not. It's a pet sim game, the age range we're getting isn't exactly full to the brim of careful planners. I think it's more along the line of "BREED ALL THE DRAGONS"
@Arronax ...do you really think we're not doing other things, that's a bit of a stretch there.

@Velociriah

Please take into consideration that not everyone has all day to spend on this website, the majority of people do not have that time, which lowers the amount of treasure they can get and then that lowers the amount of dragons they get (due to rather craycray prices). It's hit and miss with gathering eggs and familiars too, some people have the luck, others don't. Thankfully, I'm doing...decently. Otherwise I'd have already left.

And please don't imply that I am impatient, if I hadn't wanted to give this website chance well you wouldn't have even had the chance to talk to me. I never said it's not worth the $40,000, calm down a little there man. The artwork alone is worth a decent chunk of that price, then there's the coding and everything else. It's worth it.

Also, I'm not talking about eye colors, gender, or clothes. To my knowledge eye color is determined by flight and if you want to collect that...well be my guest, gender is... gender, and clothes are not determined by breeding x with y. I'm talking strictly body colors, as you can only get 67 colors, that leaves genes and breeds. Which are probably going to get there soon enough from sheer demand. Then you can factor in the "unwanted" color combos nobody's going to want (as demands for white, black, rare and shiny seem to be very high judging from the dragon sales board).

There are quite a few people online at a time, and more always joining, so I don't quite understand the excuse. It seems large, but when you factor in how many dragons people are eventually going to get...

What I'm saying is, from the standpoint of a person who just joined and is constantly met with roadblock after roadblock just trying to play, it quickly gets frustrating, and they won't want to stay. It's as simple as that, any potential money they would've spent toward Flight Rising is now gone, along with that person telling their friends not to bother with the game. Overall, it's a business. Making it too difficult for your customers isn't exactly... good. Neither is making it too easy, there has to be a balance. 10 days is fine like I said, 30 days is a month to breed a collection of code, and that's... wow.

Plus, people are going to breed willy nilly whether you think so or not. It's a pet sim game, the age range we're getting isn't exactly full to the brim of careful planners. I think it's more along the line of "BREED ALL THE DRAGONS"
[quote name="velociriah" date="2013-06-23 12:22:34" url="main.php?p=mb&board=frd&page=1&id=134582#135091"] The cooldown seems long now, but it's there for a reason. In the opening days of the site, the number of dragons more than doubled. In a couple of days, those dragons will be ready to breed again, and [i]that[/i] amount will more than double. Plus finding additional eggs/dragons around the site, and breeding all of the babies, and all of [i]those[/i] babies, etc, etc, well. You begin to see why the admins set the cooldowns the way they did. .[/quote] @velociriah , @Tea , @Swiftla The thing that people seem to forget is that this site already has things in place to prevent dragons being "worthless". The exaltation system is a perfect example of that. I just do not foresee dragons ever being "worth nothing" because people will snatch up cheap dragons to exalt them. Other sites that this one has been compared to did NOT have a system that was nearly as appealing to remove pets from their games. The few that had systems in place tended to have them added when it was too late or the rewards for doing so were minimal at best and benefited one individual vs FR's system that benefits a flight as a whole and encourages people to exalt. I also think people seem to assume everyone is asking for ALL cooldowns to be lowered. I'd be happy enough with just the plentiful breeds having lower cooldowns 'cause they're supposed to be...[i]plentiful[/i], right? :p [quote name="velociriah" date="2013-06-23 12:22:34" url="main.php?p=mb&board=frd&page=1&id=134582#135091"] I think it's really insulting to say that this game isn't worth the $40,000 kickstarter. Do you know what the price is to run your own server? How much coding went into this site? Look up the original Neopets artwork. Look up Subeta. This site has barely even gotten its feet beneath it yet, and it's already miles beyond all of its predecessors. I guess if you don't agree, no one is stopping you from leaving, but the admin team has been nothing but considerate and helpful, and I for one am amazed by the professional product they managed to put out for just $40,000.[/quote] I don't think you can compare Flight Rising to Neopets/Subeta considering the neopets alone was created in 1999 (wasn't subeta from 2004? so at least 9 years ago?) and there were obviously many improvements to website development, code, graphic design, hosting etc since then. I also think people tend to have an exaggerated idea of what hosting actually costs. I know there have been many other threads like this but I keep seeing the same points brought up by people that things get better "later" and I do understand that point of view but the problem is what is going on [i]now[/i] and what will happen for new users. For FR to thrive it needs those new users to keep playing and to [i]want[/i] to keep playing but the way things are now I'm not surprised people are leaving but I am surprised at the sort of treatment they get by our [i]loving[/i] community - "Oh? Not 110% happy? Don't let the door hit you on the way out!" this mentality isn't exactly a good way to get people to want to stay.

The cooldown seems long now, but it's there for a reason.

@velociriah , @Tea , @Swiftla
The thing that people seem to forget is that this site already has things in place to prevent dragons being "worthless". The exaltation system is a perfect example of that. I just do not foresee dragons ever being "worth nothing" because people will snatch up cheap dragons to exalt them. Other sites that this one has been compared to did NOT have a system that was nearly as appealing to remove pets from their games. The few that had systems in place tended to have them added when it was too late or the rewards for doing so were minimal at best and benefited one individual vs FR's system that benefits a flight as a whole and encourages people to exalt.

I also think people seem to assume everyone is asking for ALL cooldowns to be lowered. I'd be happy enough with just the plentiful breeds having lower cooldowns 'cause they're supposed to be...plentiful, right? :p

I don't think you can compare Flight Rising to Neopets/Subeta considering the neopets alone was created in 1999 (wasn't subeta from 2004? so at least 9 years ago?) and there were obviously many improvements to website development, code, graphic design, hosting etc since then.

I also think people tend to have an exaggerated idea of what hosting actually costs.

I know there have been many other threads like this but I keep seeing the same points brought up by people that things get better "later" and I do understand that point of view but the problem is what is going on now and what will happen for new users. For FR to thrive it needs those new users to keep playing and to want to keep playing but the way things are now I'm not surprised people are leaving but I am surprised at the sort of treatment they get by our loving community - "Oh? Not 110% happy? Don't let the door hit you on the way out!" this mentality isn't exactly a good way to get people to want to stay.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13