Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Breeding Cooldown too long -- opinion
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
[quote name="Undel" date="2013-06-23 23:52:23" url="main.php?p=mb&board=frd&page=6&id=134582#143069"]Our apologies to those who are upset. The recent downtime and our games going offline is incredibly frustrating, and we will not stop working until these issues are resolved. (Actually we won't stop working even after they're resolved: There's a lot to do and new things we want to put in!) We do have some pretty good discussion thread in the suggestions forum about breeding cooldowns and the pros/cons of reducing or increasing them. The official stance for us right now regarding cooldown is that we're going to let things run their course for the next month or two and reevaluate after the game has had a chance to hit its stride (where it moves past initial launch population and into what the "live" population will be.) We want for people to have nests going at all times, as breeding is one of the highlights of the game for many people. An item that costs gems that reduces cooldown is something that crosses our line of no pay-to-win, so that option is an unlikely outcome for us, though it's a good suggestion. The FR community has been pretty darned great overall. It's fine to have differing opinions and to be upset with the game. Reading about what things folks like and what they don't like, what's frustrating and what's fun is super helpful, and much appreciated. (I did not see the facebook comment/reply people are talking about before it was removed, but behavior like that is seriously uncool. Discussion is fine, name-calling and bringing someone's child into it is NOT. If you ever see anything of that nature in the future, report it to an admin and we'll put a stop to it real fast.) [/quote] Thanks for popping in and telling us that! I agree that letting the community age a bit (2 more months or so) is a good idea.
Our apologies to those who are upset. The recent downtime and our games going offline is incredibly frustrating, and we will not stop working until these issues are resolved. (Actually we won't stop working even after they're resolved: There's a lot to do and new things we want to put in!)

We do have some pretty good discussion thread in the suggestions forum about breeding cooldowns and the pros/cons of reducing or increasing them. The official stance for us right now regarding cooldown is that we're going to let things run their course for the next month or two and reevaluate after the game has had a chance to hit its stride (where it moves past initial launch population and into what the "live" population will be.) We want for people to have nests going at all times, as breeding is one of the highlights of the game for many people.

An item that costs gems that reduces cooldown is something that crosses our line of no pay-to-win, so that option is an unlikely outcome for us, though it's a good suggestion.

The FR community has been pretty darned great overall. It's fine to have differing opinions and to be upset with the game. Reading about what things folks like and what they don't like, what's frustrating and what's fun is super helpful, and much appreciated.

(I did not see the facebook comment/reply people are talking about before it was removed, but behavior like that is seriously uncool. Discussion is fine, name-calling and bringing someone's child into it is NOT. If you ever see anything of that nature in the future, report it to an admin and we'll put a stop to it real fast.)

Thanks for popping in and telling us that! I agree that letting the community age a bit (2 more months or so) is a good idea.
NHzYzMb.png
For what it's worth, I saw Hatchlings under 25k treasure this morning.
For what it's worth, I saw Hatchlings under 25k treasure this morning.
coffee. need coffee.
I haven't been playing long, but so far I'm ok with the long cooldown, though of course it's frustrating because I'm anxious to be breeding my dragons.

I enjoy planning though - looking at possible pairings and outcomes, wondering whether to trade my existing dragons for others, deciding what to save up for.

I'm enjoying the Coliseum as well, and building my battling party - deciding which dragons I might keep long-term and so put the effort into training them up.

I have 2 dragons reserved from future batches of rare breeds, one of which may not be mine for over a month, but again if I could have it tomorrow it wouldn't be half so exciting - I'm the sort of person who loves the build up to Christmas and birthdays. xD
I haven't been playing long, but so far I'm ok with the long cooldown, though of course it's frustrating because I'm anxious to be breeding my dragons.

I enjoy planning though - looking at possible pairings and outcomes, wondering whether to trade my existing dragons for others, deciding what to save up for.

I'm enjoying the Coliseum as well, and building my battling party - deciding which dragons I might keep long-term and so put the effort into training them up.

I have 2 dragons reserved from future batches of rare breeds, one of which may not be mine for over a month, but again if I could have it tomorrow it wouldn't be half so exciting - I'm the sort of person who loves the build up to Christmas and birthdays. xD
I have CFS/ME and sometimes my brain decides things are too hard.
If I remember correctly, the admins said before that there were originally 4 games in the Fairegrounds; however two of them were badly messing with the game, so they had to take them down. Just thought I'd throw that out there for those of you who say you are not good at puzzles/tiles. Not sure when exactly those games will be back up, but I imagine as soon as they figure out what's causing it to go all wonky.

But getting to the heart of the matter. The cooldowns, in my opinion, are fine the way they are. After the first cooldown/breeding, its actually not so bad. I know a lot of you are frustrated because the games are down, but there are other ways to get treasure. Scavenging/digging can net you some coins, and even some gems, depending on which chests you dig up. You can also trade items with Crim for treasure if you have them. Its not much at first, but after a while, it builds up. You can also sell items you find at the Auction House. Doing this, you can build up your money sources to buy a dragon on the AH. Possibly two or three, if your luck is good.

Now you have your eggs plus the new dragons. When the next cooldown drops, you can breed them and get more eggs. I've only bought three dragons from the Auction House, and I currently have my dragons laid out to where I bred one yesterday, one today, one tomorrow, and then the last pair the day after that. When the eggs hatch, they'll do so in the same steps I bred, and the cooldowns will come down the same way I bred them. Does it take a while? Of course. The point is though, that after a time you can layer your dragons to breed and hatch where you'll get eggs or hatchings nearly every day.

Honestly, for me breeding is never a chore, and the cooldowns are never boring. If anything, I get excited because it soon means I'll have another chance to come up with some colorful babies to either sell or exalt or do whatever with.

If I remember correctly, the admins said before that there were originally 4 games in the Fairegrounds; however two of them were badly messing with the game, so they had to take them down. Just thought I'd throw that out there for those of you who say you are not good at puzzles/tiles. Not sure when exactly those games will be back up, but I imagine as soon as they figure out what's causing it to go all wonky.

But getting to the heart of the matter. The cooldowns, in my opinion, are fine the way they are. After the first cooldown/breeding, its actually not so bad. I know a lot of you are frustrated because the games are down, but there are other ways to get treasure. Scavenging/digging can net you some coins, and even some gems, depending on which chests you dig up. You can also trade items with Crim for treasure if you have them. Its not much at first, but after a while, it builds up. You can also sell items you find at the Auction House. Doing this, you can build up your money sources to buy a dragon on the AH. Possibly two or three, if your luck is good.

Now you have your eggs plus the new dragons. When the next cooldown drops, you can breed them and get more eggs. I've only bought three dragons from the Auction House, and I currently have my dragons laid out to where I bred one yesterday, one today, one tomorrow, and then the last pair the day after that. When the eggs hatch, they'll do so in the same steps I bred, and the cooldowns will come down the same way I bred them. Does it take a while? Of course. The point is though, that after a time you can layer your dragons to breed and hatch where you'll get eggs or hatchings nearly every day.

Honestly, for me breeding is never a chore, and the cooldowns are never boring. If anything, I get excited because it soon means I'll have another chance to come up with some colorful babies to either sell or exalt or do whatever with.

NST2016B1_zpsx6df7wrb.png
From our Kickstarter Page in reference to the use of Kickstarter funds:
"Most of our Kickstarter funds will go to primarily upgrading our server environment from a Virtual Private Server (wherein several sites are sharing space on a single server) to a Dedicated Server. This will substantially increase the load speed, efficiency, and capacity of Flight Rising, and support hundreds of concurrent player connections fluidly. Technology like this is pricey, but we believe with your help, we can do it!

In addition to upgrades, any remaining funds will be distributed to:

Reimburse content contributors (Artists, Writers, Designers, etc.) that have helped us through the years.
Fuel future content!"

The original $3500 was going to purchase 6 months of 1 server. A server with the capacity to handle a few hundred users.

With the extra funds:
We reimbursed content contributors like we said we would.
We upgraded the server like we said we would, we even got it for longer and are working on a second one.
We are using it to fuel future content like we said we would.
From our Kickstarter Page in reference to the use of Kickstarter funds:
"Most of our Kickstarter funds will go to primarily upgrading our server environment from a Virtual Private Server (wherein several sites are sharing space on a single server) to a Dedicated Server. This will substantially increase the load speed, efficiency, and capacity of Flight Rising, and support hundreds of concurrent player connections fluidly. Technology like this is pricey, but we believe with your help, we can do it!

In addition to upgrades, any remaining funds will be distributed to:

Reimburse content contributors (Artists, Writers, Designers, etc.) that have helped us through the years.
Fuel future content!"

The original $3500 was going to purchase 6 months of 1 server. A server with the capacity to handle a few hundred users.

With the extra funds:
We reimbursed content contributors like we said we would.
We upgraded the server like we said we would, we even got it for longer and are working on a second one.
We are using it to fuel future content like we said we would.
Flight Rising Developer
Best Artist Not Allowed to Art | Business Ops | Engineering
@Akiri

Thank you for the clarification! Although I really don't think many players were doubting your financial decisions. I for one am blown away by how professional, sleek, and attractive this site is, not just in terms of dragon variety, but also in its general user interface. I've been a part of many fledgling pet sites over the years, and this one is by far the most impressive one I've seen. It may not have as much content as many others yet, but I have no doubt that will be rectified soon.

In short, good job, devs! I think there will always be people unfamiliar with the costs of developing/hosting a site like this. But I'm blown away by all the hard work you guys have obviously put into it! So thanks for making such a cool place, and hopefully anyone who doesn't have the patience to stick out the early months will wander back in here later, once all of the kinks have been ironed out and the economy is stable. :)
@Akiri

Thank you for the clarification! Although I really don't think many players were doubting your financial decisions. I for one am blown away by how professional, sleek, and attractive this site is, not just in terms of dragon variety, but also in its general user interface. I've been a part of many fledgling pet sites over the years, and this one is by far the most impressive one I've seen. It may not have as much content as many others yet, but I have no doubt that will be rectified soon.

In short, good job, devs! I think there will always be people unfamiliar with the costs of developing/hosting a site like this. But I'm blown away by all the hard work you guys have obviously put into it! So thanks for making such a cool place, and hopefully anyone who doesn't have the patience to stick out the early months will wander back in here later, once all of the kinks have been ironed out and the economy is stable. :)
tumblr_inline_nk71b0gf1I1qg2i5p.png
@Akiri, as one of your KS backers, thank you for the breakdown. It is appreciated.

Not that I thought you guys weren't being transparent as it is ;)
@Akiri, as one of your KS backers, thank you for the breakdown. It is appreciated.

Not that I thought you guys weren't being transparent as it is ;)
coffee. need coffee.
I'd like the breeding cooldown maybe to be based on how many eggs there were and which species were involved? My imps have one egg from their breeding. Thats one egg. If their next clutch is also one egg, that means I'll be waiting one month for a second imperial. If I want to breed my my two imperials, sell the hatchlings of colors I do not prefer, then I may not end up with many hatchlings at all in the end. Not for a few months anyways as I get a few clutches going. Fingers crossed that its a good hatchling with good colors. o_o
I'd like the breeding cooldown maybe to be based on how many eggs there were and which species were involved? My imps have one egg from their breeding. Thats one egg. If their next clutch is also one egg, that means I'll be waiting one month for a second imperial. If I want to breed my my two imperials, sell the hatchlings of colors I do not prefer, then I may not end up with many hatchlings at all in the end. Not for a few months anyways as I get a few clutches going. Fingers crossed that its a good hatchling with good colors. o_o
My Lair: https://www1.flightrising.com/lair/383 I loves da faes :3
My Pronouns: She/Her
"Be the Change you Wish to See in the World" ~ Mahatma Ghandi
Thanks for the official clarification on this stuff. I'll refer people here if/when more Cooldown woes pop up.
Thanks for the official clarification on this stuff. I'll refer people here if/when more Cooldown woes pop up.
1kz7OWt.png
As insane as I'm going waiting for my pairs to sync the way I want, I'm sort of becoming more accustomed to the long wait. I've got the next 6 breeding cycles planned out now and am looking forward to that. By the time those hatch, I'll be a good 5 or 6 days into the next cooldown and I'll have a whole new group to play with the pairings of so I think the 1-2 months before reevaluating things is a great idea. It's hard to tell how things will even out this early on.
As insane as I'm going waiting for my pairs to sync the way I want, I'm sort of becoming more accustomed to the long wait. I've got the next 6 breeding cycles planned out now and am looking forward to that. By the time those hatch, I'll be a good 5 or 6 days into the next cooldown and I'll have a whole new group to play with the pairings of so I think the 1-2 months before reevaluating things is a great idea. It's hard to tell how things will even out this early on.
FLAMECALLER_sig.png
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13