Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | this isn't fun anymore
1 2 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 75 76
I just want to put in my two cents (which others have probably stated as well)

that my complaints aren't about getting things or not. It's that the task of getting them is no fun. Grinding for hours and hours and hours because gathering is a joke, is no fun. I love challenges and the accomplishment of getting things that are rare and hard, but I want it to be fun in the process. I don't just want to buy them, because that doesn't feel like I'm participating in the event and earned them. This event is 100% based on luck, that you have to put hours and hours and hours into rolling the dice for a chance, before the timer runs out.
I just want to put in my two cents (which others have probably stated as well)

that my complaints aren't about getting things or not. It's that the task of getting them is no fun. Grinding for hours and hours and hours because gathering is a joke, is no fun. I love challenges and the accomplishment of getting things that are rare and hard, but I want it to be fun in the process. I don't just want to buy them, because that doesn't feel like I'm participating in the event and earned them. This event is 100% based on luck, that you have to put hours and hours and hours into rolling the dice for a chance, before the timer runs out.
I've been mentioning this on other threads but basically: RNG does not work like it did in browser games in 2000. People ARE willing to work hard towards a goal, not a 'eh, maybe lol' ending.
I've been mentioning this on other threads but basically: RNG does not work like it did in browser games in 2000. People ARE willing to work hard towards a goal, not a 'eh, maybe lol' ending.
tumblr_nq0dlcmuyk1svbq5wo1_540.png
I hope next year they put some sort of failsafe option to protect against truly awful RNG.

Possibilities:
  • Open the festive favors shop and let people trade chests in (choose between gambling for big winnings or the slow-and-steady option, maybe?) or otherwise implement a festival currency.
  • Develop coding that increases a player's chance to find something valuable in chests the longer they go without finding something, like WoW does for its pet battle bags.
  • Reduce the number of chests awarded but up the probability of it containing valuable loot.
  • Reduce the number of items awarded from the chests so that the pool is not stretched thin.
  • Let more that one rare item appear in a single chest.
  • Allow the coliseum mobs and the digging/scavenging to also drop whatever items can be found in the chests.
  • Massively increase chest drop rates on the last day for one last hoorah for everyone

They could do any one of these things and it would be more agreeable without taking away from the idea of working for it. Because yeah, okay, overall the RNG is probably fine for balancing purposes, but it's not fun. Gotta keep that element of fun in there to motivate players to keep pushing the button, like @VagabondSentinel mentioned.
I hope next year they put some sort of failsafe option to protect against truly awful RNG.

Possibilities:
  • Open the festive favors shop and let people trade chests in (choose between gambling for big winnings or the slow-and-steady option, maybe?) or otherwise implement a festival currency.
  • Develop coding that increases a player's chance to find something valuable in chests the longer they go without finding something, like WoW does for its pet battle bags.
  • Reduce the number of chests awarded but up the probability of it containing valuable loot.
  • Reduce the number of items awarded from the chests so that the pool is not stretched thin.
  • Allow the coliseum mobs and the digging/scavenging to also drop whatever items can be found in the chests.
  • Massively increase chest drop rates on the last day for one last hoorah for everyone

They could do any one of these things and it would be more agreeable without taking away from the idea of working for it. Because yeah, okay, overall the RNG is probably fine for balancing purposes, but it's not fun. Gotta keep that element of fun in there to motivate players to keep pushing the button, like @VagabondSentinel mentioned.
[quote name="ecks" date="2014-12-28 13:18:14"]I hope next year they put some sort of failsafe option to protect against truly awful RNG. Possibilities: [LIST] [*] Open the festive favors shop and let people trade chests in (choose between gambling for big winnings or the slow-and-steady option, maybe?) or otherwise implement a festival currency.[/*] [*] Develop coding that increases a player's chance to find something valuable in chests the longer they go without finding something, like WoW does for its pet battle bags.[/*] [*]Reduce the number of chests awarded but up the probability of it containing valuable loot.[/*] [*]Reduce the number of items awarded from the chests so that the pool is not stretched thin.[/*] [*]Let more that one rare item appear in a single chest.[/*] [*]Allow the coliseum mobs and the digging/scavenging to also drop whatever items can be found in the chests.[/*] [*]Massively increase chest drop rates on the last day for one last hoorah for everyone[/*] [/LIST] They could do any [i]one[/i] of these things and it would be more agreeable without taking away from the idea of working for it. Because yeah, okay, overall the RNG is probably fine for balancing purposes, but it's not fun. Gotta keep that element of fun in there to motivate players to keep pushing the button, like @VagabondSentinel mentioned.[/quote] @ecks Yes yes yes, all of these. Honestly, if they had included a token or something in each chest, and you could trade in a ton of tokens for a scroll or egg, it would be a lot nicer. It would mean even if RNG screwed you over and you got nothing in hundreds of chests, you would at least be working towards a goal. I have personally opened over 2000 chests and I have only received two [i]eggs[/i] to show for it. People can't tell me I haven't put "effort" in or I haven't "worked" for it -- because I have. But I haven't been lucky. My little sister opened up 500 chests and so far has 7 eggs. Fair? Not really. At least if there were tokens, I could put those 2000 tokens towards a scroll or whatever else. Better yet, of course, if it didn't involve so much mindless grinding and was fun. But removing the RNG aspect or alleviating it would be better event design. (Personally, I think it's disappointing the drop rates are even that low -- I get that it's a limited breed, but the fact that scrolls are SO rare and you have to be really lucky to get one... meh.)
ecks wrote on 2014-12-28 13:18:14:

Possibilities:

@ecks

Yes yes yes, all of these.

Honestly, if they had included a token or something in each chest, and you could trade in a ton of tokens for a scroll or egg, it would be a lot nicer. It would mean even if RNG screwed you over and you got nothing in hundreds of chests, you would at least be working towards a goal.

I have personally opened over 2000 chests and I have only received two eggs to show for it. People can't tell me I haven't put "effort" in or I haven't "worked" for it -- because I have. But I haven't been lucky. My little sister opened up 500 chests and so far has 7 eggs. Fair? Not really. At least if there were tokens, I could put those 2000 tokens towards a scroll or whatever else.

Better yet, of course, if it didn't involve so much mindless grinding and was fun. But removing the RNG aspect or alleviating it would be better event design. (Personally, I think it's disappointing the drop rates are even that low -- I get that it's a limited breed, but the fact that scrolls are SO rare and you have to be really lucky to get one... meh.)
__________PDduh6K.png

_— hatchery
__— wishlist
____— tumblr
__V6RpU3i.png
Hey, everybody, I feel a sense of accomplishment! (I read every post on this entire thread.)

One of the best ideas I saw, aside from the multi-open feature for chests, was the token per chest adding up to something significant later.

I've been lucky, myself. In 733 chests, I've gotten 4-5 new familiars and two eggs. And, in spite of that, I have to force myself to go grind more. I'm down to about five minutes before I go check chests because I'm just so sick of that aspect.

A major turn-off for me has been the boring results of the chests. I don't mean the scarcity of special familiars, eggs, and scrolls, but the stuff in-between. If there was some decent variety in what the chests hold, they might not be so tedious to open - maybe? I agree with others that it would be better to have the items drop as treasure in the coliseum. If that's not possible, perhaps a larger pool of food/trinkets in the chests would help? It's become so boring to open them that I hardly look at the contents anymore. If it's not something special, or something interesting - and 99% aren't - then the whole opening of the chest is just a task, too.
Hey, everybody, I feel a sense of accomplishment! (I read every post on this entire thread.)

One of the best ideas I saw, aside from the multi-open feature for chests, was the token per chest adding up to something significant later.

I've been lucky, myself. In 733 chests, I've gotten 4-5 new familiars and two eggs. And, in spite of that, I have to force myself to go grind more. I'm down to about five minutes before I go check chests because I'm just so sick of that aspect.

A major turn-off for me has been the boring results of the chests. I don't mean the scarcity of special familiars, eggs, and scrolls, but the stuff in-between. If there was some decent variety in what the chests hold, they might not be so tedious to open - maybe? I agree with others that it would be better to have the items drop as treasure in the coliseum. If that's not possible, perhaps a larger pool of food/trinkets in the chests would help? It's become so boring to open them that I hardly look at the contents anymore. If it's not something special, or something interesting - and 99% aren't - then the whole opening of the chest is just a task, too.
SVk8R8c.jpg
I think at this point it's pretty telling that the 'Thanks for such a great event!' thread has fallen so far off the first page and this thread is still going strong with 41 pages of complaints.

The price of Nocturne scrolls has only risen as more people give up grinding for one. I'm personally tired of hearing about how easy it will be to get nocturnes in a few weeks when i could care less about getting more dragons and just want to breed change the dragons
I already have >.>
I think at this point it's pretty telling that the 'Thanks for such a great event!' thread has fallen so far off the first page and this thread is still going strong with 41 pages of complaints.

The price of Nocturne scrolls has only risen as more people give up grinding for one. I'm personally tired of hearing about how easy it will be to get nocturnes in a few weeks when i could care less about getting more dragons and just want to breed change the dragons
I already have >.>
mothsmall.png7jZclF3.gifdaintysmallup-2.png
My friend was lucky enough to find a second nocturne egg and was kind enough to give it to me and I'm honestly so relieved that I can stop participating in this nightmare of an event that I am crying. That's how stressful this event has been for me. I am crying with relief that I no longer feel compelled to spend hours grinding for a chance at a possible (but unlikely) reward.
My friend was lucky enough to find a second nocturne egg and was kind enough to give it to me and I'm honestly so relieved that I can stop participating in this nightmare of an event that I am crying. That's how stressful this event has been for me. I am crying with relief that I no longer feel compelled to spend hours grinding for a chance at a possible (but unlikely) reward.
@Sorel I know that feel :/ Not that I've seen an egg either.

@clarasdoctahs Your post is pretty telling in regards to whats happened with this event. :S Go treat yourself to a tasty snack or something nice goodness me.
@Sorel I know that feel :/ Not that I've seen an egg either.

@clarasdoctahs Your post is pretty telling in regards to whats happened with this event. :S Go treat yourself to a tasty snack or something nice goodness me.
tumblr_nq0dlcmuyk1svbq5wo1_540.png
@Sorel [quote name="Sorel" date="2014-12-28 16:47:49"]The price of Nocturne scrolls has only risen as more people give up grinding for one. I'm personally tired of hearing about how easy it will be to get nocturnes in a few weeks when i could care less about getting more dragons and just want to breed change the dragons I already have >.>[/quote] This. This SO MUCH. I'm getting sick of hearing people saying "just wait a few weeks Nocs will be sooooo cheap lololol" when I could care less about getting more Nocs. I have a nice breeding pair and I inadverdently bought a perfect mate for another Gen1 I have. Idc about getting more. What I want are a few Scrolls to change another nice Gen1 pair I have into pretty dark Nocs. Idc about selling them or whatever, I just want to change the dergs I already have. I also find it somewhat...odd...that NONE of the staff have posted here. And I don't just mean the admins/devs, I mean Mods as well. In fact, all the threads I've seen about how the event is making people frustrated haven't been touched by staff, even the ones where you'd expect a Mod to come in and tell everyone to keep their comments civil. There are people claiming this event has driven them to tears in one way or another, yet...silence from the staff. No one telling us they've took note of the problems and will implement a better system next year. The most we've had are an extension of the event by a day and a few days of extra Gathering turns. While it's better than nothing, I'd much prefer someone coming in to acknowledge the complaints at least.
@Sorel
Sorel wrote on 2014-12-28 16:47:49:
I already have >.>

This. This SO MUCH. I'm getting sick of hearing people saying "just wait a few weeks Nocs will be sooooo cheap lololol" when I could care less about getting more Nocs. I have a nice breeding pair and I inadverdently bought a perfect mate for another Gen1 I have. Idc about getting more. What I want are a few Scrolls to change another nice Gen1 pair I have into pretty dark Nocs. Idc about selling them or whatever, I just want to change the dergs I already have.

I also find it somewhat...odd...that NONE of the staff have posted here. And I don't just mean the admins/devs, I mean Mods as well. In fact, all the threads I've seen about how the event is making people frustrated haven't been touched by staff, even the ones where you'd expect a Mod to come in and tell everyone to keep their comments civil. There are people claiming this event has driven them to tears in one way or another, yet...silence from the staff. No one telling us they've took note of the problems and will implement a better system next year. The most we've had are an extension of the event by a day and a few days of extra Gathering turns. While it's better than nothing, I'd much prefer someone coming in to acknowledge the complaints at least.
0lSM1SJ.png t1eU2lt.pngWishlist
Personally, I've been secretly hoarding the mimic dust that the monsters drop and all the items from the chests on the off chance that, at the end of the event, we'll be able to trade for things with them. We probably won't - it probably would have been announced already - but I can always sell or convert them after I've been proven wrong.

But all in all, some kind of token idea would be the best fix, imo. If, instead of having 400 food items and a couple eggs, I had a couple eggs and 400 tokens I could use to trade for something - a scroll, another egg, one of the familiars, whatever - I'd be much happier. Just having a solid goal to work towards instead of "please please have what I want this time" would be a huge improvement.

I mean, if I've opened 1000 chests and got nothing from them, I'll be thinking "what if the next 1000 are just as bad?" if it's random chance like it is. But if there were something to trade afterwards as well, I'd keep grinding to earn them, and maybe be pleasantly surprised when I got what I was saving for in one of the chests randomly. As it is, looking for a scroll, even the familiars I don't have are just another disappointment.
Personally, I've been secretly hoarding the mimic dust that the monsters drop and all the items from the chests on the off chance that, at the end of the event, we'll be able to trade for things with them. We probably won't - it probably would have been announced already - but I can always sell or convert them after I've been proven wrong.

But all in all, some kind of token idea would be the best fix, imo. If, instead of having 400 food items and a couple eggs, I had a couple eggs and 400 tokens I could use to trade for something - a scroll, another egg, one of the familiars, whatever - I'd be much happier. Just having a solid goal to work towards instead of "please please have what I want this time" would be a huge improvement.

I mean, if I've opened 1000 chests and got nothing from them, I'll be thinking "what if the next 1000 are just as bad?" if it's random chance like it is. But if there were something to trade afterwards as well, I'd keep grinding to earn them, and maybe be pleasantly surprised when I got what I was saving for in one of the chests randomly. As it is, looking for a scroll, even the familiars I don't have are just another disappointment.
fA9EDFQ.png x9ADy1B.png dnuQeRf.png
1 2 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 75 76