Back

Forum Games

Play word and forum games here.
TOPIC | Closed!
1 2 3 4
The cooking contest ends at rolllover tonight! Currently, it seems very possible that everyone who enters will win a prize, so spend some time whipping up an entry in the kitchen today.

@LilyBound @Adamanta Please remember to update/finish your entries sometime today.

@Gallant If you'd like to resubmit, please do it before rollover tonight.

@KiragamiCube I'd really prefer a photo of your actual dish, but if you don't have one you just won't be eligible to win in the photo category.
The cooking contest ends at rolllover tonight! Currently, it seems very possible that everyone who enters will win a prize, so spend some time whipping up an entry in the kitchen today.

@LilyBound @Adamanta Please remember to update/finish your entries sometime today.

@Gallant If you'd like to resubmit, please do it before rollover tonight.

@KiragamiCube I'd really prefer a photo of your actual dish, but if you don't have one you just won't be eligible to win in the photo category.
vSxK3u9.png
@SullenEarth

Okay, so I goofed up. In the rush of cooking and getting a hot thanksgiving meal out of the oven and into the stomachs of way more people than anticipated, I forgot to take a picture of my UN with the dish. I have some process pictures though. Could I just take a picture of my un with the untensils and things afterwards?
@SullenEarth

Okay, so I goofed up. In the rush of cooking and getting a hot thanksgiving meal out of the oven and into the stomachs of way more people than anticipated, I forgot to take a picture of my UN with the dish. I have some process pictures though. Could I just take a picture of my un with the untensils and things afterwards?
0JEQL3a.png
@SullenEarth [b]Entrant Name:[/b] GodricNorthman #83237 [b]Name of Entry:[/b] Chocolate steam cakes [b]Recipe and Description:[/b] While they look like little rocks, they are more like sponges, since they are very airy. Sponge rocks? ^^ They are very easy to make and delicious, they didn't last long after I took the pictures. Ingredients are for four cakes. [b]Ingredients:[/b] [LIST] [*]1 large egg [*]2 tablespoons of vegetable oil [*]3 tablespoons of yoghurt [*]2 tablespoons of sugar [*]1 teaspoon of baking powder [*]65 g (1/2 cup) of all-purpose flour [*]1 1/2 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder [*]2-3 tablespoons of chocolate chips [/LIST] [b]Recipe:[/b] [LIST=1] [*]Put four ramekins into a large frying pan and fill it with water until the ramekins are halfway submerged. You can also use a steamer if you have one. Remove the ramekins from the pan and bring the water to a boil. [*]Take a towel and wrap it around the lid of your frying pan. This is very important, as the towel will prevent water from falling back on your cakes (you don't want soggy cakes). [*]In a medium bowl, whisk the egg, oil, yoghurt, and sugar together. [*]Add in the baking powder and flour. Mix. [*]Add the cocoa powder and the chocolate chips. Mix until everything is combined. [*]You can put cupcake liners into your ramekins so that your cakes don't stick (my ramekins don't stick, so I always skip this). [*]Pour the mixture in the ramekins. [*]Put the ramekins into the water and cover the pan with the lid. [*]Cook at medium heat for around 8-12 minutes (for me it's 8 minutes if the ramekins are in the water, and 12 if they are in a steamer). You can check that the cakes are done with a skewer: once it comes out clean, they're done. [*]Remove the ramekins from the water and let them cool for 10 minutes before serving them (they are also good at room temperature). [/LIST] [b]Picture of Finished Product:[/b] [center][img]http://i.imgur.com/EL4cVo9.jpg[/img] [url=http://i.imgur.com/o3nE8XJ.jpg]Extra picture of the inside :D[/url] [/center]
@SullenEarth

Entrant Name: GodricNorthman #83237
Name of Entry: Chocolate steam cakes
Recipe and Description: While they look like little rocks, they are more like sponges, since they are very airy. Sponge rocks? ^^ They are very easy to make and delicious, they didn't last long after I took the pictures.

Ingredients are for four cakes.

Ingredients:
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
  • 3 tablespoons of yoghurt
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 65 g (1/2 cup) of all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate chips

Recipe:
  1. Put four ramekins into a large frying pan and fill it with water until the ramekins are halfway submerged. You can also use a steamer if you have one. Remove the ramekins from the pan and bring the water to a boil.
  2. Take a towel and wrap it around the lid of your frying pan. This is very important, as the towel will prevent water from falling back on your cakes (you don't want soggy cakes).
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg, oil, yoghurt, and sugar together.
  4. Add in the baking powder and flour. Mix.
  5. Add the cocoa powder and the chocolate chips. Mix until everything is combined.
  6. You can put cupcake liners into your ramekins so that your cakes don't stick (my ramekins don't stick, so I always skip this).
  7. Pour the mixture in the ramekins.
  8. Put the ramekins into the water and cover the pan with the lid.
  9. Cook at medium heat for around 8-12 minutes (for me it's 8 minutes if the ramekins are in the water, and 12 if they are in a steamer). You can check that the cakes are done with a skewer: once it comes out clean, they're done.
  10. Remove the ramekins from the water and let them cool for 10 minutes before serving them (they are also good at room temperature).

Picture of Finished Product:
Moth Keeper's Lantern Multimist Mask Herb Rack Augite Fragments
» Wishlist
» Shop
» Badges
~~~~~~~~~~~~
They/them
Starksand Dunes
[b]Entrant Name:[/b] rajioobake [b]Name of Entry:[/b] Poisonous Enchilada Verde Sauce or when the Mire Strikes Back (aka something to use your Turkey Leftovers on) [b]Recipe and Description:[/b] I really like things spicy and enchiladas are something anyone can really make on a budget. So I decided to use our turkey leftovers to make enchiladas. And the Verde sauce has a but of a kick to it, jokingly poisonous. And I was telling a friend of mine about this contest and she said that the colors of the dish remind her of the Mire so.. Hence the Mire Strikes Back. Ingredients: 3 cups of reheated leftover turkey 8 corn tortillas ?In one bowl: 1 onion (finely minced) In other bowl: ?3 roasted poblano peppers (finely chopped) 2 cans of old el paso green chilis (chopped) Spice Bowl: 3 tablespoons flour 1/4 teaspoon cumin 1/4 teaspoon black pepper 2 tablespoons of garlic garlic (tastefully simple) or 3-4 garlic cloves finely chopped 1/2 tablespoon of fiesta dip mix (tastefully simple) 1/4 a teaspoon of spicy four-pepper dip mix (tastefully simple and very spicy) 1/2 tablespoon of ortega taco seasoning 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano ((But we were out of oregano so I used a Greek seasoning blend thats ingredients had mostly oregano)) A pinch of chipotle lime seasoning rub (pampered chef) A dash of paprika A dash of red pepper things I threw in the pot, in middle of stirring: 10 dashes of Diablo Verde (hot sauce) 5 dashes of En Fuego (hot sauce) 1/4 teaspoon of Jalepeno & cilantro rub (pampered chef) a dash of Old Bay seafood seasoning Supplies: 3 bowls for mixing ingredients 1 frying pan 1 food processor 1 glass 13 x 9 in casserole dish Directions: 1. Gather all the ingredients, or if you can’t gather all the seasoning just know where your spice rack is! 2. Roast poblano peppers on the grill, let rest. While resting cut up the onions and put in one bowl. In separate bowl mix the spices and flour mixtures. Keep separated! 3. Cut up the rested poblano peppers making sure to remove the seeds. In third bowl put the cut up peppers in and mix with the two cans of green chili. 4. In a medium fryingpan, heat the onions. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring once or twice to make sure the onions are soft but not browned. (A little brown at the edges is okay) 5. Stir in dry mixture that has the flour and spices. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. ((In the middle of stirring I chose to add my Pierce the Veil hot sauces. Love the band and their sauces. Also I’m near Baltimore so just a pinch or so of Old Bay for more spice)) [b]!DON’T BE AFRAID OF THE SPICE![/b] Turkey is usually dry after Thanksgiving so the spice gives it a kick. I also tend to like things spicy to the chagrin of my family so the spicier the better. Okay back to cooking! 7. Gradually add the broth, whisking to smooth out any lumps that form. It should now look more like a sauce 8. After getting a steady consistency add the mixture to the food processor and let it run till it looks like sauce you’d get out of a bottle. 9. Take the shredded turkey meat and put it in the frying pan used to cook the onions and peppers and add a little bit of broth and spices to your desire or just a little salt and pepper and heat up the meat. It should be moist but not mushy/wet. 10. preheat the oven to 350 degrees to cook the enchiladas 11. Use the corn tortillas and wrap the turkey meat in them. Place the wraps face down in the casserole dish. Pour the verde mixture evenly over the tortillas. 13. Cook in oven for 20 mins at 350 degrees. 14. Pull out and you’re ready. 15. Add cheese to your liking and other sides, be warned it does have an electric charge afterwards like a hidden kick of spice (but you can omit the hot sauce and red pepper if you don’t want that). I used a mild garlic rice to balance the spicy sauce. [b]Picture of Finished Product (with name/ID included):[/b] [img]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h149/miscreantkids/925d3ea0-418b-47b5-973e-9d975674c380_zpsfvfxjg2t.jpg[/img]
Entrant Name: rajioobake
Name of Entry:
Poisonous Enchilada Verde Sauce
or when the Mire Strikes Back
(aka something to use your Turkey Leftovers on)

Recipe and Description:
I really like things spicy and enchiladas are something anyone can really make on a budget. So I decided to use our turkey leftovers to make enchiladas. And the Verde sauce has a but of a kick to it, jokingly poisonous. And I was telling a friend of mine about this contest and she said that the colors of the dish remind her of the Mire so.. Hence the Mire Strikes Back.

Ingredients:
3 cups of reheated leftover turkey
8 corn tortillas

?In one bowl:
1 onion (finely minced)

In other bowl:
?3 roasted poblano peppers (finely chopped)
2 cans of old el paso green chilis (chopped)

Spice Bowl:
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons of garlic garlic (tastefully simple) or 3-4 garlic cloves finely chopped
1/2 tablespoon of fiesta dip mix (tastefully simple)
1/4 a teaspoon of spicy four-pepper dip mix (tastefully simple and very spicy)
1/2 tablespoon of ortega taco seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano ((But we were out of oregano so I used a Greek seasoning blend thats ingredients had mostly oregano))
A pinch of chipotle lime seasoning rub (pampered chef)
A dash of paprika
A dash of red pepper

things I threw in the pot, in middle of stirring:
10 dashes of Diablo Verde (hot sauce)
5 dashes of En Fuego (hot sauce)
1/4 teaspoon of Jalepeno & cilantro rub (pampered chef)
a dash of Old Bay seafood seasoning

Supplies:
3 bowls for mixing ingredients
1 frying pan
1 food processor
1 glass 13 x 9 in casserole dish

Directions:
1. Gather all the ingredients, or if you can’t gather all the seasoning just know where your spice rack is!
2. Roast poblano peppers on the grill, let rest. While resting cut up the onions and put in one bowl. In separate bowl mix the spices and flour mixtures. Keep separated!
3. Cut up the rested poblano peppers making sure to remove the seeds. In third bowl put the cut up peppers in and mix with the two cans of green chili.
4. In a medium fryingpan, heat the onions. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring once or twice to make sure the onions are soft but not browned. (A little brown at the edges is okay)
5. Stir in dry mixture that has the flour and spices. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. ((In the middle of stirring I chose to add my Pierce the Veil hot sauces. Love the band and their sauces. Also I’m near Baltimore so just a pinch or so of Old Bay for more spice))

!DON’T BE AFRAID OF THE SPICE! Turkey is usually dry after Thanksgiving so the spice gives it a kick. I also tend to like things spicy to the chagrin of my family so the spicier the better.
Okay back to cooking!

7. Gradually add the broth, whisking to smooth out any lumps that form. It should now look more like a sauce
8. After getting a steady consistency add the mixture to the food processor and let it run till it looks like sauce you’d get out of a bottle.
9. Take the shredded turkey meat and put it in the frying pan used to cook the onions and peppers and add a little bit of broth and spices to your desire or just a little salt and pepper and heat up the meat. It should be moist but not mushy/wet.
10. preheat the oven to 350 degrees to cook the enchiladas
11. Use the corn tortillas and wrap the turkey meat in them. Place the wraps face down in the casserole dish. Pour the verde mixture evenly over the tortillas.
13. Cook in oven for 20 mins at 350 degrees.
14. Pull out and you’re ready.
15. Add cheese to your liking and other sides, be warned it does have an electric charge afterwards like a hidden kick of spice (but you can omit the hot sauce and red pepper if you don’t want that).
I used a mild garlic rice to balance the spicy sauce.

Picture of Finished Product (with name/ID included):
925d3ea0-418b-47b5-973e-9d975674c380_zpsfvfxjg2t.jpg
coke9_zpsedyarysq.png
Entrant Name: gabrielnovak
Name of Entry: Plant Soup (Bleu Cheese, Broccoli, Potato Soup)
Recipe and Description:
1 large onion, diced
1 leek, cut into thin rings
2 cloves garlic
5 tbsp butter
2-3 potatoes
1 carrot, grated
1 large head broccoli, chopped
4 cups vegtable stock
5 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
1 cup 1/2 and 1/2
1 cup milk
1/3 cup dry sherry
salt and pepper to taste

1. In large pot, saute onion, leek, garlic in butter for 5 minutes
2. Add carrot, potato, broccoli, saute 2-3 minutes. add stock, let simmer till all ingredients are soft
3. Puree soup till smooth
4. Heat puree over medium heat, stirring in cheese, cream, and milk. Simmer a couple minutes, then add sherry. Salt and pepper to taste
5. Serve, with sprinkles of blue cheese on top for garnish
6. (I served it with bread, a glass of apple cider, and fruit salad. Almost all vegetables or fruit, a meal fit for the Earthshaker himself!

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/12310490_10208123991005975_8213406749104142394_n.jpg?oh=b6970b3ca952463a36a7ad0ef69b0abc&oe=56FA44A5
(my wifi is working at a terrible, crawling pace. this doesnt have my UN and my picture with the UN won't load. Annnnd now even the picture won't load. Let's hope it's okay. (Perhaps I could put in the photo tomorrow, when I'm back at home, rather than at relatives house... Sorry for the trouble. Hope my entry still counts! I just spent like, an hour trying to get this whole thing together...)
Entrant Name: gabrielnovak
Name of Entry: Plant Soup (Bleu Cheese, Broccoli, Potato Soup)
Recipe and Description:
1 large onion, diced
1 leek, cut into thin rings
2 cloves garlic
5 tbsp butter
2-3 potatoes
1 carrot, grated
1 large head broccoli, chopped
4 cups vegtable stock
5 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
1 cup 1/2 and 1/2
1 cup milk
1/3 cup dry sherry
salt and pepper to taste

1. In large pot, saute onion, leek, garlic in butter for 5 minutes
2. Add carrot, potato, broccoli, saute 2-3 minutes. add stock, let simmer till all ingredients are soft
3. Puree soup till smooth
4. Heat puree over medium heat, stirring in cheese, cream, and milk. Simmer a couple minutes, then add sherry. Salt and pepper to taste
5. Serve, with sprinkles of blue cheese on top for garnish
6. (I served it with bread, a glass of apple cider, and fruit salad. Almost all vegetables or fruit, a meal fit for the Earthshaker himself!

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/12310490_10208123991005975_8213406749104142394_n.jpg?oh=b6970b3ca952463a36a7ad0ef69b0abc&oe=56FA44A5
(my wifi is working at a terrible, crawling pace. this doesnt have my UN and my picture with the UN won't load. Annnnd now even the picture won't load. Let's hope it's okay. (Perhaps I could put in the photo tomorrow, when I'm back at home, rather than at relatives house... Sorry for the trouble. Hope my entry still counts! I just spent like, an hour trying to get this whole thing together...)
they/them
[b]Entrant Name:[/b] Zelan [b]Name of Entry:[/b] Cairnstone Cake [b]Recipe and Description:[/b] A two-layer marble cake with chocolate frosting and a topping of crumbled Oreos! c: This recipe is loosely based off of the recipe for [b]Worm and Dirt Dessert[/b], an Earth Day tradition for my family. This cake doesn't have any gummy worms, though. Sorry to disappoint. :P Ingredients: [list][*]Duncan Hines Marble Cake Mix (because no one in my family is any good at making this stuff from scratch. Don't judge, it's still delicious.) [*]3 eggs [*]1 cup of water [*] 1/3 cup of vegetable oil[/list] 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. 2. Grease your pans with shortening. 3. Crack 3 eggs into a mixing bowl and whisk them. 4. Add 1 cup of water, 1/3 of a cup of vegetable oil, and the cake mix. 5. Beat until the mixture is uniform. 6. Pour an equal amount of the mixture into both pans. Leave about 1 cup in the mixing bowl. 7. Add the packet of cocoa powder in with what's left in the mixing bowl. Beat until uniform. 8. Pour an equal amount of this into each pan. 9. Use a fork or knife to swirl the chocolate mixture in with the vanilla, making sure to mix it throughout; otherwise the chocolate doesn't go all of the way through. 10. Bake for 23-28 minutes. After this, each layer of the cake was frosted and crushed Oreos were sprinkled atop each layer. I used Birthday Cake Oreos for the bottom layer to look sort of like gemstone deposits underground, and Heads or Tails Oreos for the top layer to look sort of like boulders strewn about. The finishing touch was a simple Earth Flight symbol (at least, as good of one as I could manage). [b]Picture of Finished Product (with name/ID included):[/b] The bottom layer of the cake, before putting on the top layer [img]http://i.imgur.com/dDfLE1e.jpg[/img] The finished product [img]http://i.imgur.com/g3j5BWT.jpg[/img] A slice of it (so y'all can see the pretty layers) [img]http://i.imgur.com/x9D0OBm.jpg[/img] So yeah! I did make this with some assistance from my mom and little sister (who don't play FR), but I did most of the actual baking and decorating. My mom made sure I didn't hurt myself with the mixer and did the frosting (because I really can't frost things to save my life, so thanks so much for that, Mom). My sister cracked some eggs and crumbled some Oreos because she wanted to be helpful and it would've been cruel to tell her no. So some love for those two. :P
Entrant Name: Zelan

Name of Entry: Cairnstone Cake

Recipe and Description:
A two-layer marble cake with chocolate frosting and a topping of crumbled Oreos! c:

This recipe is loosely based off of the recipe for Worm and Dirt Dessert, an Earth Day tradition for my family. This cake doesn't have any gummy worms, though. Sorry to disappoint. :P

Ingredients:
  • Duncan Hines Marble Cake Mix (because no one in my family is any good at making this stuff from scratch. Don't judge, it's still delicious.)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1/3 cup of vegetable oil

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease your pans with shortening.
3. Crack 3 eggs into a mixing bowl and whisk them.
4. Add 1 cup of water, 1/3 of a cup of vegetable oil, and the cake mix.
5. Beat until the mixture is uniform.
6. Pour an equal amount of the mixture into both pans. Leave about 1 cup in the mixing bowl.
7. Add the packet of cocoa powder in with what's left in the mixing bowl. Beat until uniform.
8. Pour an equal amount of this into each pan.
9. Use a fork or knife to swirl the chocolate mixture in with the vanilla, making sure to mix it throughout; otherwise the chocolate doesn't go all of the way through.
10. Bake for 23-28 minutes.

After this, each layer of the cake was frosted and crushed Oreos were sprinkled atop each layer. I used Birthday Cake Oreos for the bottom layer to look sort of like gemstone deposits underground, and Heads or Tails Oreos for the top layer to look sort of like boulders strewn about. The finishing touch was a simple Earth Flight symbol (at least, as good of one as I could manage).

The bottom layer of the cake, before putting on the top layer
dDfLE1e.jpg

The finished product
g3j5BWT.jpg

A slice of it (so y'all can see the pretty layers)
x9D0OBm.jpg

So yeah! I did make this with some assistance from my mom and little sister (who don't play FR), but I did most of the actual baking and decorating. My mom made sure I didn't hurt myself with the mixer and did the frosting (because I really can't frost things to save my life, so thanks so much for that, Mom). My sister cracked some eggs and crumbled some Oreos because she wanted to be helpful and it would've been cruel to tell her no. So some love for those two. :P
2e1vqdf.jpgb3JnDBj.gif
@LilyBound That sounds fine, and actually (since I suspect we might be in different timezones or something) if you don't see this until after rollover please finish up your submission anyway. Since you were the first person to post and it took me most of today to answer your question I think I can stretch it just a little for you.

@gabrielnovak Same thing goes for you, if you upload your picture tomorrow when you have better wifi your entry will still count.
@LilyBound That sounds fine, and actually (since I suspect we might be in different timezones or something) if you don't see this until after rollover please finish up your submission anyway. Since you were the first person to post and it took me most of today to answer your question I think I can stretch it just a little for you.

@gabrielnovak Same thing goes for you, if you upload your picture tomorrow when you have better wifi your entry will still count.
vSxK3u9.png
@SullenEarth

No worries! I had a brainwave in the middle of cooking my second batch of pork loin steaks tonight. Unfortunately the prettiness is lacking because somehow my brother managed to eat three and destroy the plating while I was getting these two on the stove, but I'm just going to call this a pebble cuddling a boulder and rock with it.
@SullenEarth

No worries! I had a brainwave in the middle of cooking my second batch of pork loin steaks tonight. Unfortunately the prettiness is lacking because somehow my brother managed to eat three and destroy the plating while I was getting these two on the stove, but I'm just going to call this a pebble cuddling a boulder and rock with it.
0JEQL3a.png
@SullenEarth

Entrant Name: Eialyne
Name of Entry: Vegitebbles and Frems (Veggie Pebbles and Fruit Gems, AKA: Brussel Sprout and Pomegranate Salad)
Recipe and Description:
A veggie treat for Snappers while also having a bit of an Earthen asthetic to the bowl (you can make the argument that brussel sprouts look like small, green rocks, and I will fight anyone who says pomegranate seeds don't look like small gemstones), this dish is quite simple to make, provided you a) like brussel sprouts and b) are willing to face the dreaded chore of de-seeding a pomegranate.

Ingredients (Note: I prefer cooking by eyeballing ingredients, so amounts are guesses)
  • One stalk of brussel sprouts (or 3-4 cups worth)
  • Half a pomegranate (or about 2/3rd cup seeds)
  • 1/4 cup roasted pepitas/pumpkin seeds (if not pre-roasted, just include them in the sprout mix that goes into the oven)
  • 1/2 olive oil (Note: I actually used vegetable broth in the dish pictured below due to dietary restrictions in the household I had Thanksgiving at, but normally I use olive oil)
  • 3 Tbs balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • A pinch of cumin

Recipe
  1. Preheat oven to 450F
  2. Take your brussel sprouts and slice them in half. If you really want to keep the "veggie pebble" look you can leave them whole, but they cook faster and are easier to eat if they're pre-cut.
  3. Dump sprouts in a bowl along with other ingredients besides both seeds and mix until the sprouts are well coated.
  4. Transfer sprouts to a baking sheet or roasting pan and cook about 30-40 minutes, until they are fork tender
  5. While sprouts are cooking, now would be a great time to dig out the pomegranate seeds if you haven't already. For those who are daunted by this task, this is my prefered method.
  6. Once sprouts are cooked, alternate putting them into a serving bowl with the seeds. For example I'd put in a couple large spoonfuls of spouts, then a smaller spoonful of pom seeds, then one of pepitas. This is a bit more tedious than dumping them in the bowl all together, but it saves the pom seeds from getting smashed before making it to people's plates!

mrqmvo.jpg
@SullenEarth

Entrant Name: Eialyne
Name of Entry: Vegitebbles and Frems (Veggie Pebbles and Fruit Gems, AKA: Brussel Sprout and Pomegranate Salad)
Recipe and Description:
A veggie treat for Snappers while also having a bit of an Earthen asthetic to the bowl (you can make the argument that brussel sprouts look like small, green rocks, and I will fight anyone who says pomegranate seeds don't look like small gemstones), this dish is quite simple to make, provided you a) like brussel sprouts and b) are willing to face the dreaded chore of de-seeding a pomegranate.

Ingredients (Note: I prefer cooking by eyeballing ingredients, so amounts are guesses)
  • One stalk of brussel sprouts (or 3-4 cups worth)
  • Half a pomegranate (or about 2/3rd cup seeds)
  • 1/4 cup roasted pepitas/pumpkin seeds (if not pre-roasted, just include them in the sprout mix that goes into the oven)
  • 1/2 olive oil (Note: I actually used vegetable broth in the dish pictured below due to dietary restrictions in the household I had Thanksgiving at, but normally I use olive oil)
  • 3 Tbs balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • A pinch of cumin

Recipe
  1. Preheat oven to 450F
  2. Take your brussel sprouts and slice them in half. If you really want to keep the "veggie pebble" look you can leave them whole, but they cook faster and are easier to eat if they're pre-cut.
  3. Dump sprouts in a bowl along with other ingredients besides both seeds and mix until the sprouts are well coated.
  4. Transfer sprouts to a baking sheet or roasting pan and cook about 30-40 minutes, until they are fork tender
  5. While sprouts are cooking, now would be a great time to dig out the pomegranate seeds if you haven't already. For those who are daunted by this task, this is my prefered method.
  6. Once sprouts are cooked, alternate putting them into a serving bowl with the seeds. For example I'd put in a couple large spoonfuls of spouts, then a smaller spoonful of pom seeds, then one of pepitas. This is a bit more tedious than dumping them in the bowl all together, but it saves the pom seeds from getting smashed before making it to people's plates!

mrqmvo.jpg
tumblr_ntxrqoqrD01sk2f1lo1_500.png
@nekomancer77 @itmustbetheteeth @kiragamicube @adamanta @erayidil @godricnorthman @rajioobake @gabrielnovak @zelan @lilybound @eialyne

Hi everyone! I am your People's Choice vote coordinator. If you have not already done so, please send me a PM with your vote (do not post it here). Also, entrants, this is your ping to remind people to come look at all the wonderful entries and cast their own vote!
@nekomancer77 @itmustbetheteeth @kiragamicube @adamanta @erayidil @godricnorthman @rajioobake @gabrielnovak @zelan @lilybound @eialyne

Hi everyone! I am your People's Choice vote coordinator. If you have not already done so, please send me a PM with your vote (do not post it here). Also, entrants, this is your ping to remind people to come look at all the wonderful entries and cast their own vote!
1 2 3 4