Back

Forum Games

Play word and forum games here.
TOPIC | Rockbreaker's Recipe Contest-CLOSED!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15
Entrant Name: Sillyleaf 105069
Name of Entry: Dakdoritang (Spicy chicken stew)
Recipe and Description:
Made with hearty root vegetables harvested from the fertile Earth!

Ingredients:
1 pound Potatoes : Clean and keep skin on. Cut into Large pieces. ** peel if you don't like skin
1 or 2 large carrots : Skin them. Cut into large chunks about an inch or so thick
2 yellow onions (other bulb onions work as well) : slice off ends and the dry layers. Cut into 4 wedges.
4-5 cloves of garlic : mince them
2 pounds of chicken : I normally use thighs, wings and drumsticks but boneless will work if cut into large chunks
1 teaspoon ginger : grated and preferably fresh but powdered ginger works in a pinch
1 tablespoon Gochujang: a fermented Korean chili paste - asian markets should have this in abundance as I found it easily when I lived in Canada.
1 Tablespoon Korean red chilli powder (gochugaru) : add an extra tablespoon if you like food spicy!
2-3 cups water : more water creates more sauce, but a more soupy consistency.
pinch of salt: I never measure this >_<
1 Tablespoon of soy sauce.

1 large deep skillet or pot preferably something with a lid
1 large bowl

HOW TO MAKE AWESOME:

1: In bowl combine soysauce, Gochujang, chilli flakes, garlic, ginger, salt and water ( you can add more water later as well if needed) Mix together the special sauce.

2: Insert chicken. Ensure Chicken in coated in sauce.

3: Pour chicken and sauce into skillet on medium heat. Bring to boil. Let boil 10 minutes covered. Stir occasionally.

4: Place carrots and potatoes into skillet. Cover and shimmer for 10 minutes.

5: Uncover. Add water if soupy sauce is wanted. Otherwise stir and cook for 10-20 minutes until potatoes and carrots are tender and chicken is fully cooked.

6: ENJOY!

Eat over rice or alone. Add spring onion as a garnish.

Possible deviations:

-use 1/2 cup of beer and 1 1/2 cup of water

Notes:

-Big pieces of vegetables take longer to cook which is better for this recipe.
- if its too soupy, boil uncovered for longer
- Can be made with other meats
- This amount fed me and 2 friends. With rice it could probably feed 4-5 people.
- Frozen chicken is fine! Just ensure it's cooked through before eating. Cook for longer if needed.

Picture of Finished Product (with name/ID included):
dakdoritang_zps60437c54.jpg

>_> This was my dinner tonight. So...many...leftovers @___@
Entrant Name: Sillyleaf 105069
Name of Entry: Dakdoritang (Spicy chicken stew)
Recipe and Description:
Made with hearty root vegetables harvested from the fertile Earth!

Ingredients:
1 pound Potatoes : Clean and keep skin on. Cut into Large pieces. ** peel if you don't like skin
1 or 2 large carrots : Skin them. Cut into large chunks about an inch or so thick
2 yellow onions (other bulb onions work as well) : slice off ends and the dry layers. Cut into 4 wedges.
4-5 cloves of garlic : mince them
2 pounds of chicken : I normally use thighs, wings and drumsticks but boneless will work if cut into large chunks
1 teaspoon ginger : grated and preferably fresh but powdered ginger works in a pinch
1 tablespoon Gochujang: a fermented Korean chili paste - asian markets should have this in abundance as I found it easily when I lived in Canada.
1 Tablespoon Korean red chilli powder (gochugaru) : add an extra tablespoon if you like food spicy!
2-3 cups water : more water creates more sauce, but a more soupy consistency.
pinch of salt: I never measure this >_<
1 Tablespoon of soy sauce.

1 large deep skillet or pot preferably something with a lid
1 large bowl

HOW TO MAKE AWESOME:

1: In bowl combine soysauce, Gochujang, chilli flakes, garlic, ginger, salt and water ( you can add more water later as well if needed) Mix together the special sauce.

2: Insert chicken. Ensure Chicken in coated in sauce.

3: Pour chicken and sauce into skillet on medium heat. Bring to boil. Let boil 10 minutes covered. Stir occasionally.

4: Place carrots and potatoes into skillet. Cover and shimmer for 10 minutes.

5: Uncover. Add water if soupy sauce is wanted. Otherwise stir and cook for 10-20 minutes until potatoes and carrots are tender and chicken is fully cooked.

6: ENJOY!

Eat over rice or alone. Add spring onion as a garnish.

Possible deviations:

-use 1/2 cup of beer and 1 1/2 cup of water

Notes:

-Big pieces of vegetables take longer to cook which is better for this recipe.
- if its too soupy, boil uncovered for longer
- Can be made with other meats
- This amount fed me and 2 friends. With rice it could probably feed 4-5 people.
- Frozen chicken is fine! Just ensure it's cooked through before eating. Cook for longer if needed.

dakdoritang_zps60437c54.jpg

>_> This was my dinner tonight. So...many...leftovers @___@
Flutter, flutter, fleet and flitter. I'm the leaf with lots of glitter!
@Teeka
Pinging myself to keep an eye on this.
@Teeka
Pinging myself to keep an eye on this.
@Refuse

I'll be entering tomorrow.
@Refuse

I'll be entering tomorrow.
Ahh this looks so fun! I might enter if I don't burn anything..
Ahh this looks so fun! I might enter if I don't burn anything..
Keeping this judge hungry! Some of these are definitely getting a taste test in the future. ;)
Keeping this judge hungry! Some of these are definitely getting a taste test in the future. ;)
ypBEEZJ.png
@SullenEarth [b]Entrant Name:[/b] corvidus, #63434 [b]Name of Entry:[/b] Pumpkin and Apple Stew [b]Recipe and Description:[/b] A hearty stew, bursting with the rich flavours of the autumn harvest: [quote=Recipe] (modified from a BBC GoodFood recipe) 1 tbsp sunflower oil 1 large onion 3 cloves garlic 500g pumpkin (I used frozen puree from one I'd previously cooked, but chunked fresh works too) 800g baking potatoes 1 medium cooking apple 2 tsp curry paste Mixed herbs/spices to taste (I ended up chucking in cloves, paprika and a little chilli powder, plus some mixed herbs) 1in root ginger 1 vegetable stock cube 50g raisins/sultanas 3/4 strips vegetarian bacon OR meat/substitute of choice for you carnivores out there[/quote] [quote=Method] (pics in links!! behold my impressively blurry photography) Heat the oil in the pan. Roughly chop the onion, add the bacon or other meat and cook for 5 minutes, until the onion starts to brown around the edges. Panic because there's too much stuff to chop and your onions are burning. If you want you can peel the apple, but - depending on the variety you use - [url=http://i2.minus.com/iWX9IS05jWbKd.jpg]I generally prefer to leave the skin on[/url] (also peeling takes so looooong ugh). Add the potatoes and apple, along with the garlic, ginger, curry paste and other spices. Add the stock cube to ~500ml of hot water and pour in, along with the raisins. Bring the mixture to the boil, stirring as it heats. ([url=http://i1.minus.com/ibdqfL3SInFg8L.jpg]Take a moment to rethink the size of the pan.[/url] Why did I think this pan was the correct size? I don't know. help it's spilling everywhere) Cover [url=http://i3.minus.com/ibukmPmF0swv6U.jpg](close enough)[/url] and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender. The recipe originally quoted fifteen minutes; I gave it about 30 before my hunger outweighed my fear of food poisoning from undercooked potatoes. Cutting your potatoes into smaller chunks cuts down on cooking time. Spoon into bowls. Top with yoghurt or fromage frais and a dash of chilli powder, and serve with bread or rice! (or pitta, in my case) [/quote] I ended up getting three generous servings from the recipe; I don't have a scale so approximated most of the amounts, so I may have been stingy with the potatoes and pumpkin (though in my defense I was constrained by pan size) and you might be able to stretch it to four. Choose between the joy of company at dinner, or the joy of leftovers! This really is a dish bursting with flavours. The potato gives it an impressive amount of substance (I went from starving to full in record time), and the apple and raisins gives it an amazing sweetness. The bacon is optional, but I feel like it gives it that extra savoury edge. Sausages would probably work equally well! It's rich, warming and filling - truly a dish fit for the Earthshaker's table! [b]Picture of Finished Product (with name/ID included):[/b] [img]http://i3.minus.com/iZyhfV8YEHyLI.jpg[/img]
@SullenEarth
Entrant Name: corvidus, #63434
Name of Entry: Pumpkin and Apple Stew
Recipe and Description: A hearty stew, bursting with the rich flavours of the autumn harvest:
Recipe wrote:
(modified from a BBC GoodFood recipe)
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic
500g pumpkin (I used frozen puree from one I'd previously cooked, but chunked fresh works too)
800g baking potatoes
1 medium cooking apple
2 tsp curry paste
Mixed herbs/spices to taste (I ended up chucking in cloves, paprika and a little chilli powder, plus some mixed herbs)
1in root ginger
1 vegetable stock cube
50g raisins/sultanas
3/4 strips vegetarian bacon OR meat/substitute of choice for you carnivores out there
Method wrote:
(pics in links!! behold my impressively blurry photography)
Heat the oil in the pan. Roughly chop the onion, add the bacon or other meat and cook for 5 minutes, until the onion starts to brown around the edges. Panic because there's too much stuff to chop and your onions are burning. If you want you can peel the apple, but - depending on the variety you use - I generally prefer to leave the skin on (also peeling takes so looooong ugh). Add the potatoes and apple, along with the garlic, ginger, curry paste and other spices.
Add the stock cube to ~500ml of hot water and pour in, along with the raisins. Bring the mixture to the boil, stirring as it heats. (Take a moment to rethink the size of the pan. Why did I think this pan was the correct size? I don't know. help it's spilling everywhere)
Cover (close enough) and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender. The recipe originally quoted fifteen minutes; I gave it about 30 before my hunger outweighed my fear of food poisoning from undercooked potatoes. Cutting your potatoes into smaller chunks cuts down on cooking time.
Spoon into bowls. Top with yoghurt or fromage frais and a dash of chilli powder, and serve with bread or rice! (or pitta, in my case)
I ended up getting three generous servings from the recipe; I don't have a scale so approximated most of the amounts, so I may have been stingy with the potatoes and pumpkin (though in my defense I was constrained by pan size) and you might be able to stretch it to four. Choose between the joy of company at dinner, or the joy of leftovers!
This really is a dish bursting with flavours. The potato gives it an impressive amount of substance (I went from starving to full in record time), and the apple and raisins gives it an amazing sweetness. The bacon is optional, but I feel like it gives it that extra savoury edge. Sausages would probably work equally well! It's rich, warming and filling - truly a dish fit for the Earthshaker's table!
iZyhfV8YEHyLI.jpg
XfL644W.png
WhPZGJa.png
@SullenEarth [b]Entrant Name:[/b] Bananacorny (id:83510) [b]Name of Entry:[/b] Mound Cake [b]Recipe and Description:[/b] This cake is the first thing that came to my mind when I thought about "earthy" food. But don't worry. It tastes much better than earth! [quote][b]Ingredients:[/b] cake dough: 2 cups flour 1 cup sugar 1 cup milk 1 (not full) cup oil 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 4 tbsp cocoa 2 eggs 3 bananas lemon juice cream: 500ml whipping cream 100g dark chocolate 4 tsp powder sugar [/quote] [quote][b]Instructions:[/b] Cake dough: Mix eggs with sugar until soft form. Mix flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda together. Alternately add sieved through a sieve dry ingredients, milk and oil to whipped eggs, mix well until all ingredients are completely blended together. Pour batter into springform pan and bake in 160 centigrades for about 50 minutes. Let it cool. Cut the top of cake dough on heigh about 2 cm. Carefully scoop out the center, but try not to reach the bottom and keep about 2 cm distance from the outer edges. You will be using scooped out dough later, so don't throw it out. Peel bananas, cut them along, sprinkle them with some lemon juice, and place in the bottom of dough. Here is the picture of how it should look like: [img]http://images69.fotosik.pl/394/4b7c676413b8ae1em.jpg[/img] Cream: Whip cold cream with sugar. Cut chocolate into small pieces. Mix whipped cream with chocolate. Pour the cream over bananas and shape it into the form of mound. Sprinkle the top with crumble made from rest of the cake until you cover the cream. Put cake in fridge for 30 minutes. It's ready![/quote] [b]Picture of Finished Product (with name/ID included):[/b] [img]http://images67.fotosik.pl/396/59747890e4792ba5gen.jpg[/img] [img]http://images66.fotosik.pl/394/5ff20d0c03f99e91gen.jpg[/img]
@SullenEarth

Entrant Name: Bananacorny (id:83510)
Name of Entry: Mound Cake
Recipe and Description:

This cake is the first thing that came to my mind when I thought about "earthy" food. But don't worry. It tastes much better than earth!
Quote:
Ingredients:

cake dough:

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 (not full) cup oil
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 tbsp cocoa
2 eggs
3 bananas
lemon juice

cream:

500ml whipping cream
100g dark chocolate
4 tsp powder sugar
Quote:
Instructions:

Cake dough:
Mix eggs with sugar until soft form. Mix flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda together. Alternately add sieved through a sieve dry ingredients, milk and oil to whipped eggs, mix well until all ingredients are completely blended together. Pour batter into springform pan and bake in 160 centigrades for about 50 minutes. Let it cool. Cut the top of cake dough on heigh about 2 cm. Carefully scoop out the center, but try not to reach the bottom and keep about 2 cm distance from the outer edges. You will be using scooped out dough later, so don't throw it out. Peel bananas, cut them along, sprinkle them with some lemon juice, and place in the bottom of dough.
Here is the picture of how it should look like:
4b7c676413b8ae1em.jpg
Cream:
Whip cold cream with sugar. Cut chocolate into small pieces. Mix whipped cream with chocolate.
Pour the cream over bananas and shape it into the form of mound. Sprinkle the top with crumble made from rest of the cake until you cover the cream. Put cake in fridge for 30 minutes. It's ready!

59747890e4792ba5gen.jpg
5ff20d0c03f99e91gen.jpg
This looks like a lot of fun. Time to bring out the frying pan, lol. :P
This looks like a lot of fun. Time to bring out the frying pan, lol. :P
tumblr_ns95r4gyIn1u5zwh0o1_500.png
Everything looks wonderful so far! Thank you so much for joining us, friends ♥
Everything looks wonderful so far! Thank you so much for joining us, friends ♥
emeOzA6.png
Ooooh bump bump bump :o I'll see if I can't enter next time I get to cook homey things, hot dig this looks fun!
Ooooh bump bump bump :o I'll see if I can't enter next time I get to cook homey things, hot dig this looks fun!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15