Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [CLOSED] Ascribe: FR WRITING Club
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18 19
@JCStitches
I love that excerpt. Just the right amount of humor, and what a lovely opening line! It grabs the reader's attention right away.

And ofc! You can spend as much or as little time here as you'd like, and I'm happy you appreciate the resources! I took a trip down memory lane to gather them. A very satisfying experience, in all honesty.

If you'd like, we have a Discord you can join here! We also have our first weekly prompt up ("A fishing expedition gone terribly, terribly wrong."), which will be swapped out for a new prompt this Wednesday, and our monthly prompt is on the main page. You can write these prompts... or not! Totally up to you :)
@JCStitches
I love that excerpt. Just the right amount of humor, and what a lovely opening line! It grabs the reader's attention right away.

And ofc! You can spend as much or as little time here as you'd like, and I'm happy you appreciate the resources! I took a trip down memory lane to gather them. A very satisfying experience, in all honesty.

If you'd like, we have a Discord you can join here! We also have our first weekly prompt up ("A fishing expedition gone terribly, terribly wrong."), which will be swapped out for a new prompt this Wednesday, and our monthly prompt is on the main page. You can write these prompts... or not! Totally up to you :)
mKTebPi.png
___________ image.png
+ Lore Arc
+ Dragons for Sale
+ Wishlist
Ask me about my writing projects! +
image.png
TXY0RA0.png
Hey hey! I just wanted to drop this here c: By no means is this unique, but I wanted to do a word sprint, and I figure the prompt was a perfect candidate for it. Instead of focusing on the scenario, I tried to develop a recurring motif (fire/ice) and focus on the action of the scene. Idk how well that went lol :,) But for 15 minutes, I'm pretty happy w/ it!

Week 1 Prompt: A fishing expedition gone terribly, terribly wrong.

Written as a 15-minute word sprint with the lovely @/fwuitgummy

Total WC: 354 words
The water was cold against his body, but burned like fire in his lungs. He gagged, he gasped, but there was nothing but darkness, nothing but water, nothing but that cold, and that fire. And far, far below him, he could hear the horrible, echoing sounds of something feasting on his grandfather.

Desperate, he clawed at the liquid black around him. Slice, slice through the water, kick his legs. But which was up? Which was down? Froths of bubbles burst from his blue lips and dashed--upward! There was the surface! Orientation, sweet and firm, at last calmed the desperation that inflamed his mind.

Now, there was the matter of beating that thing to the surface. When it attacked, it had screamed through the water at their boat, upturning the little wooden hull and depositing him and his pops into the icy embrace of the water. With a few lashes of its thick, serpentine tail, it forced them underneath into the lake’s depths, where it could crunch the warmth from their bones in peace.

He had some vague thought--I hope grandad isn’t as skinny as he looks--and fought his way upward. His head spun, dizzy delirium crashing on his eyes. The world tilted. It blurred. It faded in and out of focus. The only certainty was that the breath vacating his lungs rose up and the sound of ferocious hunger was down.

Finally, dim moonlight streamed into the waters, pooled onto his face. As if to replace the total darkness of deeper waters, unconsciousness crowded his vision with acidic spots that ate away at his sight. His lungs roared with the inferno of suffocation. I’m not going to--

The sound of gnashing from below suddenly stopped. Roaring, the rest of his air exploded from him in an iridescent cloud of life, and he struggled harder to the surface, his last gambit, his last hope. Night slipped a curtain over his eyes, and his lungs screamed. But he would make it! He would! He fought, he struggled, he clutched and clawed.

But truly, he was dead the moment he was knocked into the water’s fiery grave.
Hey hey! I just wanted to drop this here c: By no means is this unique, but I wanted to do a word sprint, and I figure the prompt was a perfect candidate for it. Instead of focusing on the scenario, I tried to develop a recurring motif (fire/ice) and focus on the action of the scene. Idk how well that went lol :,) But for 15 minutes, I'm pretty happy w/ it!

Week 1 Prompt: A fishing expedition gone terribly, terribly wrong.

Written as a 15-minute word sprint with the lovely @/fwuitgummy

Total WC: 354 words
The water was cold against his body, but burned like fire in his lungs. He gagged, he gasped, but there was nothing but darkness, nothing but water, nothing but that cold, and that fire. And far, far below him, he could hear the horrible, echoing sounds of something feasting on his grandfather.

Desperate, he clawed at the liquid black around him. Slice, slice through the water, kick his legs. But which was up? Which was down? Froths of bubbles burst from his blue lips and dashed--upward! There was the surface! Orientation, sweet and firm, at last calmed the desperation that inflamed his mind.

Now, there was the matter of beating that thing to the surface. When it attacked, it had screamed through the water at their boat, upturning the little wooden hull and depositing him and his pops into the icy embrace of the water. With a few lashes of its thick, serpentine tail, it forced them underneath into the lake’s depths, where it could crunch the warmth from their bones in peace.

He had some vague thought--I hope grandad isn’t as skinny as he looks--and fought his way upward. His head spun, dizzy delirium crashing on his eyes. The world tilted. It blurred. It faded in and out of focus. The only certainty was that the breath vacating his lungs rose up and the sound of ferocious hunger was down.

Finally, dim moonlight streamed into the waters, pooled onto his face. As if to replace the total darkness of deeper waters, unconsciousness crowded his vision with acidic spots that ate away at his sight. His lungs roared with the inferno of suffocation. I’m not going to--

The sound of gnashing from below suddenly stopped. Roaring, the rest of his air exploded from him in an iridescent cloud of life, and he struggled harder to the surface, his last gambit, his last hope. Night slipped a curtain over his eyes, and his lungs screamed. But he would make it! He would! He fought, he struggled, he clutched and clawed.

But truly, he was dead the moment he was knocked into the water’s fiery grave.
mKTebPi.png
___________ image.png
+ Lore Arc
+ Dragons for Sale
+ Wishlist
image.png
TXY0RA0.png
hey! this seems cool

@Vngel @Sentari
I want to join!

How long have you been writing?
it's been too long to count, but i've been writing since probably the 1st grade! of course, my stories really have only gotten better in the last year or so

Example of your writing:
crying.

he was crying. he remembered now - day in and day out, horrific sobs racking his body and breaking his already feeble will. wretched, noxious, disgusting tears fell from his face like bugs, reeking of oil and blood and fear.

he saw the others. how happy they were, how many friends they had. it was maddening.

why couldn't he have friends like that too?

and so he cried. left to rot, to die, because he was disgusting. skinny and frail, nothing but a hollow shell with sickly skin and a mouth with teeth too rotten and many. with claws uneven and chipped, with wings tattered and hardly more than framework that could have been great.

he cried and cried, in the dark and alone, all day. everyone thought he was dead. everyone laughed and sang with joy, because nobody wanted him alive anywho. because he was a misfit, a disgrace, a gross amalgamation that never should have been born.

in the dark, he sat, he sobbed. until he saw it.

the light. so bright, so piercing, illuminating all of his wretched features.

he grinned.

he would never have to cry again.

Why do you want to join?
i like hanging around other writers and writing in general! i also want to pick up a few things from others' works too

What should you give Sentari and Vngel?
horses and elephants!

Check the things you want to be pinged for:
Weekly Prompts: [x] Monthly Newsletter: [x] New Members: [x]

Other:
n/a
hey! this seems cool

@Vngel @Sentari
I want to join!

How long have you been writing?
it's been too long to count, but i've been writing since probably the 1st grade! of course, my stories really have only gotten better in the last year or so

Example of your writing:
crying.

he was crying. he remembered now - day in and day out, horrific sobs racking his body and breaking his already feeble will. wretched, noxious, disgusting tears fell from his face like bugs, reeking of oil and blood and fear.

he saw the others. how happy they were, how many friends they had. it was maddening.

why couldn't he have friends like that too?

and so he cried. left to rot, to die, because he was disgusting. skinny and frail, nothing but a hollow shell with sickly skin and a mouth with teeth too rotten and many. with claws uneven and chipped, with wings tattered and hardly more than framework that could have been great.

he cried and cried, in the dark and alone, all day. everyone thought he was dead. everyone laughed and sang with joy, because nobody wanted him alive anywho. because he was a misfit, a disgrace, a gross amalgamation that never should have been born.

in the dark, he sat, he sobbed. until he saw it.

the light. so bright, so piercing, illuminating all of his wretched features.

he grinned.

he would never have to cry again.

Why do you want to join?
i like hanging around other writers and writing in general! i also want to pick up a few things from others' works too

What should you give Sentari and Vngel?
horses and elephants!

Check the things you want to be pinged for:
Weekly Prompts: [x] Monthly Newsletter: [x] New Members: [x]

Other:
n/a
CStGtqv.png
chaos makes the muse.
› zae(yrn) | any prns
about me
icon dragon
@obanai
I feel that on the recent improvement thing! Quarantine has been terrible in a lot of respects, but it's been genuinely helpful in expanding creativity for a lot of people. Like, at least for me, I had so much time, and I couldn't really make time excuses anymore... so I just started to write more!

Accepted! Don't forget to join the Discord, here! We'll also drop a new weekly prompt tomorrow, so keep your eyes peeled for that :)
@obanai
I feel that on the recent improvement thing! Quarantine has been terrible in a lot of respects, but it's been genuinely helpful in expanding creativity for a lot of people. Like, at least for me, I had so much time, and I couldn't really make time excuses anymore... so I just started to write more!

Accepted! Don't forget to join the Discord, here! We'll also drop a new weekly prompt tomorrow, so keep your eyes peeled for that :)
mKTebPi.png
___________ image.png
+ Lore Arc
+ Dragons for Sale
+ Wishlist
image.png
TXY0RA0.png
@cartographic @seige @PuppyLuvr06 @Spooner @Silvfyre @Brokenwing @Cattafang @PinkRose06 @fwuitgummy @JCStitches @obanai

Hey scribes! It's Wednesday, so you know what that means. It's weekly prompt time! Sentari and I have a very (excessively?) vague prompt for you all today...
Do you think they noticed…?

If you think you need a little extra spice to get your story going, consider the following list of randomly generated words: rabbit, bedroom, tread.

(here is the word generator tool!)

Ascribe will host a short (no longer than 30 minutes) word sprint over the weekend through the Discord server. If you're interested in participating, send me your availability for Sunday and Saturday in PST (which is also FR's time!). I will post the word sprint date & time sometime tomorrow, so try to get this information to me ASAP!
@cartographic @seige @PuppyLuvr06 @Spooner @Silvfyre @Brokenwing @Cattafang @PinkRose06 @fwuitgummy @JCStitches @obanai

Hey scribes! It's Wednesday, so you know what that means. It's weekly prompt time! Sentari and I have a very (excessively?) vague prompt for you all today...

If you think you need a little extra spice to get your story going, consider the following list of randomly generated words: rabbit, bedroom, tread.

(here is the word generator tool!)

Ascribe will host a short (no longer than 30 minutes) word sprint over the weekend through the Discord server. If you're interested in participating, send me your availability for Sunday and Saturday in PST (which is also FR's time!). I will post the word sprint date & time sometime tomorrow, so try to get this information to me ASAP!
mKTebPi.png
___________ image.png
+ Lore Arc
+ Dragons for Sale
+ Wishlist
image.png
TXY0RA0.png
Week 2 prompt: "Do you think they noticed…?" (and rabbit, bedroom, tread)

Written as a 20 minute sprint w/ fwuitgummy, JCStiches, and Sentari + 8 minutes to finish up the ending

Total WC: 657 words for sprint, 861 words with the extra 8 minutes
In a country that no one knew, in a town lost to time, at the outskirts of remembrance and desire, sat a house. Its walls were caved in, giant explosions of timber and cobble. Nothing stirred. A great white sun beat down on the village, baking dust into cracks, shriveling any weed that dared to show its green face to the sky. Dust swirled. Rocks glowered. The ruined house ached for the pitter patter of feet, for the sweetness of hyacinths and begonias. It missed the world that had been.

On a day that no one could recall, at a moment that seemed outside the 24 hour clock, a rabbit hopped into the village. Its fur was white, its eyes were red, and its nose trembled, shook, searching for any morsel of life. It passed through the village, twitching at the ruins, shaking the dust from its feet. The rabbit did not simply look; it saw.

The rabbit had come from a distant land, a faraway place that was so green that the house cried tears of dust to think of it. “Please,” the house whispered, in the only way houses can. “Please. Please.”

The rabbit heard the cries of the ruined house and was surprised. “I was not aware that we were still here,” it said. “I thought we no longer held sway in this barren wasteland.”

“I am not a rabbit,” the house said.

“I can see that,” the rabbit said patiently. “I meant life. Life still exists, even here.”

“A building is not alive,” the house said.

“Isn’t it?”

“No. I do not live, not like you.”

The rabbit cocked its head. “I do not live like the tree. I do not live like the firefly. I do not live like the turtle. Tell me, house, what is life?”

The house was silent.

“Right,” the rabbit said. “I shall bring you the life you desire. Rains will come. They will soak this parched land, and then grasses will erupt from the earth. The animals will follow. And then humanity.”

And the rabbit left.

It kept its word. Not two days after the rabbit left, clouds gathered like gray cotton in the sky. They amassed for seven days and seven nights. On the eighth day, at the darkest noon the town had ever seen, the sky crashed upon the world.

The rain was torrentuous, a brutal reawakening for a land that had been asleep for far too long. Mud coursed between the rocks of the ruined house, chilled it to its bones. The house cried out, but it was a joyous kind of pain--life was coming.

When the rains faded, the plants came. Ivy surged over the rubble, claimed what used to be a kitchen, roared over the mudroom. A pale green floor. Umbrellas that waved and faithfully kept their charge dry, even as that dark sky roiled with storm clouds and rain drummed, wet and sweet, upon the land. Dandelions nodded golden crowns to a faint breeze. Day lilies smiled at the house and asked it about the history of the town.

After the plants, the animals came. Earthworms burrowed through the clay and turned it into lovely dirt; robins fluttered down from the heavens to snap up the earthworms; cats prowled through the rubble to catch the birds; and so on, and so on.

Finally, as the rabbit had promised, humanity came. They looked at the old house and built it up again; it cheered and laughed as piles of rubble became kitchens, living rooms, mudrooms, bedrooms.

When humanity had settled, the rabbit returned to the village.

“What is life?” it asked the house.

“Life is here now. I thank you.”

“Are you not life?” the rabbit insisted. “Why do you believe you are not alive?”

“Well,” the house thought for a moment. “I do not do anything. Life does things.”

“Not true. You sigh, you creak, you breathe.”

The house paused. “Well… those aren’t real things.”

The rabbit smiled a rodent smile. “What is ‘real,’ house? Is there any such thing?”

The house sat back, settled in its foundation. “It is impossible to define this.”

“It is not. You are real. You are alive. It is just that others do not see your being alive.”

“What do you mean, rabbit? You’re making little sense.”

The rabbit looked up to the sky, searching for the right words. “You see life everywhere, house. You see it in the grass. You see it in humanity. You see it in me.

“But few see it in you, house. Because they do not see life in you, you believe you have none. But house, you are alive.”

And the rabbit left. This time, it would not return.

Do you think that humanity noticed the grass they crushed under their tramping soles? Do you think they noticed the animals that dashed from their touch? Do you think they noticed how the house laughed when they opened its door, how it sighed when the nights grew long and cold?

In a country that people came to know, in a town reclaimed by time, at the center of knowledge and memory, sat a house.
Week 2 prompt: "Do you think they noticed…?" (and rabbit, bedroom, tread)

Written as a 20 minute sprint w/ fwuitgummy, JCStiches, and Sentari + 8 minutes to finish up the ending

Total WC: 657 words for sprint, 861 words with the extra 8 minutes
In a country that no one knew, in a town lost to time, at the outskirts of remembrance and desire, sat a house. Its walls were caved in, giant explosions of timber and cobble. Nothing stirred. A great white sun beat down on the village, baking dust into cracks, shriveling any weed that dared to show its green face to the sky. Dust swirled. Rocks glowered. The ruined house ached for the pitter patter of feet, for the sweetness of hyacinths and begonias. It missed the world that had been.

On a day that no one could recall, at a moment that seemed outside the 24 hour clock, a rabbit hopped into the village. Its fur was white, its eyes were red, and its nose trembled, shook, searching for any morsel of life. It passed through the village, twitching at the ruins, shaking the dust from its feet. The rabbit did not simply look; it saw.

The rabbit had come from a distant land, a faraway place that was so green that the house cried tears of dust to think of it. “Please,” the house whispered, in the only way houses can. “Please. Please.”

The rabbit heard the cries of the ruined house and was surprised. “I was not aware that we were still here,” it said. “I thought we no longer held sway in this barren wasteland.”

“I am not a rabbit,” the house said.

“I can see that,” the rabbit said patiently. “I meant life. Life still exists, even here.”

“A building is not alive,” the house said.

“Isn’t it?”

“No. I do not live, not like you.”

The rabbit cocked its head. “I do not live like the tree. I do not live like the firefly. I do not live like the turtle. Tell me, house, what is life?”

The house was silent.

“Right,” the rabbit said. “I shall bring you the life you desire. Rains will come. They will soak this parched land, and then grasses will erupt from the earth. The animals will follow. And then humanity.”

And the rabbit left.

It kept its word. Not two days after the rabbit left, clouds gathered like gray cotton in the sky. They amassed for seven days and seven nights. On the eighth day, at the darkest noon the town had ever seen, the sky crashed upon the world.

The rain was torrentuous, a brutal reawakening for a land that had been asleep for far too long. Mud coursed between the rocks of the ruined house, chilled it to its bones. The house cried out, but it was a joyous kind of pain--life was coming.

When the rains faded, the plants came. Ivy surged over the rubble, claimed what used to be a kitchen, roared over the mudroom. A pale green floor. Umbrellas that waved and faithfully kept their charge dry, even as that dark sky roiled with storm clouds and rain drummed, wet and sweet, upon the land. Dandelions nodded golden crowns to a faint breeze. Day lilies smiled at the house and asked it about the history of the town.

After the plants, the animals came. Earthworms burrowed through the clay and turned it into lovely dirt; robins fluttered down from the heavens to snap up the earthworms; cats prowled through the rubble to catch the birds; and so on, and so on.

Finally, as the rabbit had promised, humanity came. They looked at the old house and built it up again; it cheered and laughed as piles of rubble became kitchens, living rooms, mudrooms, bedrooms.

When humanity had settled, the rabbit returned to the village.

“What is life?” it asked the house.

“Life is here now. I thank you.”

“Are you not life?” the rabbit insisted. “Why do you believe you are not alive?”

“Well,” the house thought for a moment. “I do not do anything. Life does things.”

“Not true. You sigh, you creak, you breathe.”

The house paused. “Well… those aren’t real things.”

The rabbit smiled a rodent smile. “What is ‘real,’ house? Is there any such thing?”

The house sat back, settled in its foundation. “It is impossible to define this.”

“It is not. You are real. You are alive. It is just that others do not see your being alive.”

“What do you mean, rabbit? You’re making little sense.”

The rabbit looked up to the sky, searching for the right words. “You see life everywhere, house. You see it in the grass. You see it in humanity. You see it in me.

“But few see it in you, house. Because they do not see life in you, you believe you have none. But house, you are alive.”

And the rabbit left. This time, it would not return.

Do you think that humanity noticed the grass they crushed under their tramping soles? Do you think they noticed the animals that dashed from their touch? Do you think they noticed how the house laughed when they opened its door, how it sighed when the nights grew long and cold?

In a country that people came to know, in a town reclaimed by time, at the center of knowledge and memory, sat a house.
mKTebPi.png
___________ image.png
+ Lore Arc
+ Dragons for Sale
+ Wishlist
image.png
TXY0RA0.png
Written as a 20 minute sprint w/ fwuitgummy, Vngel, and Sentari. I was aiming for the Weekly Prompt but I may entirely revise my idea so I can better include the keywords.

Total WC: 291 words for sprint

The cake wasn’t the point, despite the fresh buttercream and sugar glazed fruit artfully arranged on top. It sat innocently on the kitchen countertop, blissfully unaware of the poachers sneaking in through the back door. They’d even oiled the hinges the night before so that the door wouldn’t give a tell-tale squeak.

Or the cake might have been the point to Pumpkin, but Candy was more interested in the challenge of tricking their sharp-eyed foster mother. The trio of witches had discussed the project for the last week, leaving it up to Candy to craft the spell that would hide them from prying eyes. Her sketchbook was filled with rejected designs, each incrementally different and using various materials until she’d settled on metal and enamel. Metal offered its strength and durability to prolong the life of the work and the enamel was a concession to her artistic tastes. Just because a thing was practical and functional didn’t mean it had to be ugly.

Inscribed on the surface of the steel pendant were glyphs that she had created over for her own use - a sign of her mastery of magic. “Silence” had been an obvious choice, but after that Candy had found it necessary to research and meditate on what aspects would benefit a spell of invisibility. Now, to be blunt, true invisibility was difficult to achieve. The resources and energy it would take to create such an artifact was inexcusable for a prank. Instead, the objective became to become an existence beneath notice.

Which was, admittedly, against Candy's personality and personal tastes.

It was also pretty damn hard to get one past a dragon. When that dragon happened to be your mom, it was almost a lost cause.

Now that was her specialty.
Written as a 20 minute sprint w/ fwuitgummy, Vngel, and Sentari. I was aiming for the Weekly Prompt but I may entirely revise my idea so I can better include the keywords.

Total WC: 291 words for sprint

The cake wasn’t the point, despite the fresh buttercream and sugar glazed fruit artfully arranged on top. It sat innocently on the kitchen countertop, blissfully unaware of the poachers sneaking in through the back door. They’d even oiled the hinges the night before so that the door wouldn’t give a tell-tale squeak.

Or the cake might have been the point to Pumpkin, but Candy was more interested in the challenge of tricking their sharp-eyed foster mother. The trio of witches had discussed the project for the last week, leaving it up to Candy to craft the spell that would hide them from prying eyes. Her sketchbook was filled with rejected designs, each incrementally different and using various materials until she’d settled on metal and enamel. Metal offered its strength and durability to prolong the life of the work and the enamel was a concession to her artistic tastes. Just because a thing was practical and functional didn’t mean it had to be ugly.

Inscribed on the surface of the steel pendant were glyphs that she had created over for her own use - a sign of her mastery of magic. “Silence” had been an obvious choice, but after that Candy had found it necessary to research and meditate on what aspects would benefit a spell of invisibility. Now, to be blunt, true invisibility was difficult to achieve. The resources and energy it would take to create such an artifact was inexcusable for a prank. Instead, the objective became to become an existence beneath notice.

Which was, admittedly, against Candy's personality and personal tastes.

It was also pretty damn hard to get one past a dragon. When that dragon happened to be your mom, it was almost a lost cause.

Now that was her specialty.
Tundra with the words 'Love is the Brightest Light'
Volunteer Moderator :If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding moderation, please feel free to use the Contact Us form.
Wow @Vngel that was beautiful! I do have a soft spot for stories that come full circle. I love how philosophical this was. Remarkable. And all in under 30 minutes.

@JCStitches Congrats, you have successfully whetted my appetite for some cake. The personification you used literally sucked me into the scene you spun. Also really enjoyed your inclusion of "overused" fantasy things, like sneaking past a dragon to get its treasure... only to completely turn around and use them in a sense that traditionalists wouldn't expect. Glad you decided to post it!

As promised, here's mine:

“This is a terrible idea.”

Clover still had no idea how she had let little Alexander the Great talk her into this ridiculous heist. Okay, that was a lie; she did know. That puny Shetland pony might look all fluffy and cuddly on the outside, but he could talk the rear wheel off a tractor until he had his way. Clover stared down at the small form of Alexander – who was quite nearly a third of her own size – busy with the lock on the gate. Clover knew she could beat the diminutive equine in a fight any day. So why couldn’t she beat him in a contest of will?

To be absolutely fair, they were doing this for a good cause. She hoped. But that didn’t mean she had to like it.

“This is a terrible idea.” This time, the mare said it aloud.

With a toss of his shaggy head, Alexander looked up at her, grim lines of determination crisscrossing his muzzle. “We’ve got to do this, Clover,” he said imperatively. “For everyone’s sake. You know how much Timothy loves that little ball of his. You heard how he was crying when he lost it last night. The alternative is to go all night listening to him have a meltdown.”

“I know, I know,” Clover groaned. Of all the things in the barn to pick up, why did the farmer have to take that grubby little toy inside with him? “Please, don’t remind me. Let’s just get this over with.”

“Fine. Watch that window for anyone while I unlatch this gate.”

While Alexander continued to work on the latch (he was notorious for causing all sorts of mischief by unlocking every stall in the stable), Clover stared warily at the window to the farm house. It was a cozy looking little place to a human, but a foreboding fortress of mystery to her. She didn’t like it. It was too… human.

“Done!” Alexander announced triumphantly. The sole entrance to the little picket-fenced enclosure surrounding the house swung open with copious protest from unoiled hinges. The Shetland led the way straight up to the path, with his reluctant, less nimble companion trailing behind. Clover took great care of where she placed her hooves, minding the pintas and the copper canyon daisies. She wanted this mission to end with zero casualties, and zero signs that they had been here.

A gentle nudge of Alexander’s nose was all that was needed to open the door to the farmhouse. The farmer rarely bothered to close it properly, much less lock it.

“I suppose he thinks the picket fence is enough to keep us out,” Clover thought. “And he’d be right, at least in my case.”

Alexander strutted confidently into the dusty hallway. Between the clattering of his hooves on the floor and the creaking of the wooden boards, Clover feared the entire household would awaken and bear down on them. Trying to tread quietly, she followed. As she passed the living room, a great, gravelly noise barreled into her ears. She was startled at first, but then spotted the still-booted feet of the farmer hanging off one end of the couch. A tangled heap of gray dog, equally asleep, laid at the foot of the furnishing.

“Up there, Clover!” Alexander’s voice snapped her back to reality. “There’s the ball. I can’t reach it, so you’ll have to.”

The ball was perched nonchalantly on top of a table, next to a vase of old and dried flowers. It was easy for Clover to reach, but too high for Alexander. That, she surmised, was the reason he had dragged her along. Sucking in a steadying breath, Clover gingerly reached out with her teeth to take hold Timothy’s favorite plaything. The dried plants crackled and tickled as they brushed against her nostrils. Clover fought the urge to sneeze. Her teeth connected with the ball and she picked it up with a sigh of relief.

“Alright. Let’s get outta here.” Alexander said.

“Oh no,” Clover said, sniffling. The aged flowers had done their work. “I’m going to sneeze!”

And she did. A monstrous sneeze that seemed to shake the whole house to its foundation. Panicked that she had alerted the farmer, Clover whipped around and made a mad dash for the exit. Her rump smacked into the table with the vase, sending both plummeting to the ground. Glass, filthy water, and ugly flowers flew everywhere. Clover leaped through the doorframe, forcing the door aside with violent force. Her hooves now scrabbled over the gravel pathway as she dashed towards the safety of her pasture, on the opposite side of that accursed picket fence. Preserving the pintas and the copper canyon daisies was the last thing on her mind now. One flying leap carried her over the wooden boundary and to safety. At last able to breathe, she dropped her head and pretended to crop the grass. Perhaps if she acted natural the farmer wouldn’t suspect anything. Only then did she realize she had left Alexander behind.

“Oh no. What have I done?” She could only imagine what trouble the little pony might get into when the farmer caught him. But he hadn’t done anything! It was her fault for breaking the vase and toppling the table. She couldn’t just leave him to deal with all the consequences. She WOULD go back. She summoned her resolve and marched back towards the house, only to stop mid-stride. There on the porch was Alexander, the ball in his grasp, looking quite unconcerned. Short, stubby legs pumped confidently as he floated down the gravel path and out the gate, shutting and latching it behind him. Given what had transpired, there was a conspicuous lack of activity coming from the human residence.

“Do… do you think they noticed?” Clover stammered. Even if by some miracle the farmer hadn’t been roused by the noise, the old hound Sniffer would have been. Why wasn’t he barking? Nothing made sense. She looked at Alexander for some sort of clue and was surprised to find him beaming at her.

“Not at all,” he grinned cheekily. “They were still fast asleep when I left. Those two have probably made each other deaf with all that snoring. By my horseshoes, I’ve heard broken tractors make less noise than that.”
Wow @Vngel that was beautiful! I do have a soft spot for stories that come full circle. I love how philosophical this was. Remarkable. And all in under 30 minutes.

@JCStitches Congrats, you have successfully whetted my appetite for some cake. The personification you used literally sucked me into the scene you spun. Also really enjoyed your inclusion of "overused" fantasy things, like sneaking past a dragon to get its treasure... only to completely turn around and use them in a sense that traditionalists wouldn't expect. Glad you decided to post it!

As promised, here's mine:

“This is a terrible idea.”

Clover still had no idea how she had let little Alexander the Great talk her into this ridiculous heist. Okay, that was a lie; she did know. That puny Shetland pony might look all fluffy and cuddly on the outside, but he could talk the rear wheel off a tractor until he had his way. Clover stared down at the small form of Alexander – who was quite nearly a third of her own size – busy with the lock on the gate. Clover knew she could beat the diminutive equine in a fight any day. So why couldn’t she beat him in a contest of will?

To be absolutely fair, they were doing this for a good cause. She hoped. But that didn’t mean she had to like it.

“This is a terrible idea.” This time, the mare said it aloud.

With a toss of his shaggy head, Alexander looked up at her, grim lines of determination crisscrossing his muzzle. “We’ve got to do this, Clover,” he said imperatively. “For everyone’s sake. You know how much Timothy loves that little ball of his. You heard how he was crying when he lost it last night. The alternative is to go all night listening to him have a meltdown.”

“I know, I know,” Clover groaned. Of all the things in the barn to pick up, why did the farmer have to take that grubby little toy inside with him? “Please, don’t remind me. Let’s just get this over with.”

“Fine. Watch that window for anyone while I unlatch this gate.”

While Alexander continued to work on the latch (he was notorious for causing all sorts of mischief by unlocking every stall in the stable), Clover stared warily at the window to the farm house. It was a cozy looking little place to a human, but a foreboding fortress of mystery to her. She didn’t like it. It was too… human.

“Done!” Alexander announced triumphantly. The sole entrance to the little picket-fenced enclosure surrounding the house swung open with copious protest from unoiled hinges. The Shetland led the way straight up to the path, with his reluctant, less nimble companion trailing behind. Clover took great care of where she placed her hooves, minding the pintas and the copper canyon daisies. She wanted this mission to end with zero casualties, and zero signs that they had been here.

A gentle nudge of Alexander’s nose was all that was needed to open the door to the farmhouse. The farmer rarely bothered to close it properly, much less lock it.

“I suppose he thinks the picket fence is enough to keep us out,” Clover thought. “And he’d be right, at least in my case.”

Alexander strutted confidently into the dusty hallway. Between the clattering of his hooves on the floor and the creaking of the wooden boards, Clover feared the entire household would awaken and bear down on them. Trying to tread quietly, she followed. As she passed the living room, a great, gravelly noise barreled into her ears. She was startled at first, but then spotted the still-booted feet of the farmer hanging off one end of the couch. A tangled heap of gray dog, equally asleep, laid at the foot of the furnishing.

“Up there, Clover!” Alexander’s voice snapped her back to reality. “There’s the ball. I can’t reach it, so you’ll have to.”

The ball was perched nonchalantly on top of a table, next to a vase of old and dried flowers. It was easy for Clover to reach, but too high for Alexander. That, she surmised, was the reason he had dragged her along. Sucking in a steadying breath, Clover gingerly reached out with her teeth to take hold Timothy’s favorite plaything. The dried plants crackled and tickled as they brushed against her nostrils. Clover fought the urge to sneeze. Her teeth connected with the ball and she picked it up with a sigh of relief.

“Alright. Let’s get outta here.” Alexander said.

“Oh no,” Clover said, sniffling. The aged flowers had done their work. “I’m going to sneeze!”

And she did. A monstrous sneeze that seemed to shake the whole house to its foundation. Panicked that she had alerted the farmer, Clover whipped around and made a mad dash for the exit. Her rump smacked into the table with the vase, sending both plummeting to the ground. Glass, filthy water, and ugly flowers flew everywhere. Clover leaped through the doorframe, forcing the door aside with violent force. Her hooves now scrabbled over the gravel pathway as she dashed towards the safety of her pasture, on the opposite side of that accursed picket fence. Preserving the pintas and the copper canyon daisies was the last thing on her mind now. One flying leap carried her over the wooden boundary and to safety. At last able to breathe, she dropped her head and pretended to crop the grass. Perhaps if she acted natural the farmer wouldn’t suspect anything. Only then did she realize she had left Alexander behind.

“Oh no. What have I done?” She could only imagine what trouble the little pony might get into when the farmer caught him. But he hadn’t done anything! It was her fault for breaking the vase and toppling the table. She couldn’t just leave him to deal with all the consequences. She WOULD go back. She summoned her resolve and marched back towards the house, only to stop mid-stride. There on the porch was Alexander, the ball in his grasp, looking quite unconcerned. Short, stubby legs pumped confidently as he floated down the gravel path and out the gate, shutting and latching it behind him. Given what had transpired, there was a conspicuous lack of activity coming from the human residence.

“Do… do you think they noticed?” Clover stammered. Even if by some miracle the farmer hadn’t been roused by the noise, the old hound Sniffer would have been. Why wasn’t he barking? Nothing made sense. She looked at Alexander for some sort of clue and was surprised to find him beaming at her.

“Not at all,” he grinned cheekily. “They were still fast asleep when I left. Those two have probably made each other deaf with all that snoring. By my horseshoes, I’ve heard broken tractors make less noise than that.”

vkUHhwh.png
xLA9jR6.png
@Vngel @Sentari
I want to join!
How long have you been writing? Oh goodness. Oh goodness... I was on Neopets and writing since I was... I hate to imagine. 7? I joined back before they disallowed children writing on petpages and had I'm sure the cringiest backstories. But that means I've been attempting to write stories for approximately 20 years.
Example of your writing:
Here's my current project I'm trying to finish!
Why do you want to join?
Oh my goodness I would love writer friends. Aside from really wanting to talk with folks who know about writer's block firsthand, and maybe have the chance to share ideas again, I'm kinda... super isolated due to a three-hit combo of the pandemic/my disabilities/having a baby. So. I'm down to chat.
What should you give Sentari and Vngel? (remember to read the rules!) Ungulates of varying sizes! Pachyderms and... whatever horses are.
Check the things you want to be pinged for: Weekly Prompts: [x] Monthly Newsletter: [x] New Members: []
Other: I'm so glad you made this! It's kind of exactly what I'd been looking for recently.
@Vngel @Sentari
I want to join!
How long have you been writing? Oh goodness. Oh goodness... I was on Neopets and writing since I was... I hate to imagine. 7? I joined back before they disallowed children writing on petpages and had I'm sure the cringiest backstories. But that means I've been attempting to write stories for approximately 20 years.
Example of your writing:
Here's my current project I'm trying to finish!
Why do you want to join?
Oh my goodness I would love writer friends. Aside from really wanting to talk with folks who know about writer's block firsthand, and maybe have the chance to share ideas again, I'm kinda... super isolated due to a three-hit combo of the pandemic/my disabilities/having a baby. So. I'm down to chat.
What should you give Sentari and Vngel? (remember to read the rules!) Ungulates of varying sizes! Pachyderms and... whatever horses are.
Check the things you want to be pinged for: Weekly Prompts: [x] Monthly Newsletter: [x] New Members: []
Other: I'm so glad you made this! It's kind of exactly what I'd been looking for recently.
Kai - Al (There's only 1 L!)
[Call me Kai!] [30s,They/Them]
PLEASE do not ask about
my avatar on an
unrelated thread topic!
f18d31cc350d038f8fdc1052107773b5e5669843.png
- Accent Shop!
- Hatchathon: Egg a Day 2024!
- In Shadow of the Gods: A Nuzlocke (Complete!)
- G1s with Art!
- Wishlist/Icon Dragon
@Kaial (@obanai) A new member! :D I respect the Nuzlocke--I've been doing something kind of like that too, and I know the amount of work that goes into it. Serious props, especially since the writing is just beautiful. Light, airy, and so evocative. Accepted! Don't forget to join the Discord, [url=https://discord.gg/r7AS2A5Rhh]here[/url]. Our weekly prompt also dropped a few days ago, if you want to take a look at it! [quote name="Vngel" date="2021-04-14 13:41:54" ] Hey scribes! It's Wednesday, so you know what that means. It's weekly prompt time! Sentari and I have a very (excessively?) vague prompt for you all today... Do you think they noticed…? If you think you need a little extra spice to get your story going, consider the following list of randomly generated words: rabbit, bedroom, tread. [snipped] [/quote]
@Kaial (@obanai)
A new member! :D I respect the Nuzlocke--I've been doing something kind of like that too, and I know the amount of work that goes into it. Serious props, especially since the writing is just beautiful. Light, airy, and so evocative. Accepted!

Don't forget to join the Discord, here.

Our weekly prompt also dropped a few days ago, if you want to take a look at it!
Vngel wrote on 2021-04-14 13:41:54:

[snipped]
mKTebPi.png
___________ image.png
+ Lore Arc
+ Dragons for Sale
+ Wishlist
image.png
TXY0RA0.png
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18 19