Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Dragon Writers of August!
1 2 3 4 5 6
@micahjaguar

Thanks! I love him. I hope August treats you well!

Okay so I would like to request some lore help please. For months now I've been trying to find a decent name for the rite, ritual, or ceremony (I'm having a hard time telling which this falls under) that my clan's dragons have the option of going through. It's my way of explaining scatter scrolls and gene changes.

The way it works for my clan is that the dragon who wishes for a change, with the help of that deity's priest/priestess, petitions any one of the deities for a change. Eventually when the dragon sees what they percieve as a sign to go forth with it, they enter a cave system on the border of the Tanged Woods that's been known to change what goes in. No one knows how how or why it works like it does, but it's speculated that an arcane caster either working with or possessed by the Shade enchanted it.

Caerwyn chose to undergo the rite/ceremony because he gained control over his emotions and was able to become a productive member of Dolus. He wanted a chance to more or less start over.

Syrlyn underwent it after a beastclan attack and he got amnesia. He felt that if he couldn't remember who he was, he should start anew. It's seen by some dragons of Dolus as a new start/turning a new leaf over, and others as an escape.

I hope this makes sense. I think I have a couple other examples, and I'll of course expand if needed.
@micahjaguar

Thanks! I love him. I hope August treats you well!

Okay so I would like to request some lore help please. For months now I've been trying to find a decent name for the rite, ritual, or ceremony (I'm having a hard time telling which this falls under) that my clan's dragons have the option of going through. It's my way of explaining scatter scrolls and gene changes.

The way it works for my clan is that the dragon who wishes for a change, with the help of that deity's priest/priestess, petitions any one of the deities for a change. Eventually when the dragon sees what they percieve as a sign to go forth with it, they enter a cave system on the border of the Tanged Woods that's been known to change what goes in. No one knows how how or why it works like it does, but it's speculated that an arcane caster either working with or possessed by the Shade enchanted it.

Caerwyn chose to undergo the rite/ceremony because he gained control over his emotions and was able to become a productive member of Dolus. He wanted a chance to more or less start over.

Syrlyn underwent it after a beastclan attack and he got amnesia. He felt that if he couldn't remember who he was, he should start anew. It's seen by some dragons of Dolus as a new start/turning a new leaf over, and others as an escape.

I hope this makes sense. I think I have a couple other examples, and I'll of course expand if needed.
hANn2C0.gif
@micahjaguar

I think I am stuck in the Arduous Stair...

And a new term...noodling, speaking or writing out in a message to others as you work through your plan. Noodling...I am a Noodler. I have Noodled. LOL
@micahjaguar

And a new term...noodling, speaking or writing out in a message to others as you work through your plan. Noodling...I am a Noodler. I have Noodled. LOL
An open book that reads Stories & Poetry MJ 24uZeuhOu.pngBk78Myp.pngLaSYQ19.gif8d7o509.png
@micahjaguar

@micahjaguar

An open book that reads Stories & Poetry MJ 24uZeuhOu.pngBk78Myp.pngLaSYQ19.gif8d7o509.png
@micahjaguar I've got a few of them uploaded onto my tumblr. Where I also post my stories.

One of my most recent works
http://winddragonart.tumblr.com/post/176410440044/ive-been-working-on-this-au-since-january-and-im
@micahjaguar I've got a few of them uploaded onto my tumblr. Where I also post my stories.

One of my most recent works
http://winddragonart.tumblr.com/post/176410440044/ive-been-working-on-this-au-since-january-and-im
axOkNaR.png
ZNhRsiG.png
XD i've written 1100 words of ianto's backstory today

and i'm not even at the part where he joins my clan! but it's the cute bit where he meets azurite, so it's lots of fun to write hehe
XD i've written 1100 words of ianto's backstory today

and i'm not even at the part where he joins my clan! but it's the cute bit where he meets azurite, so it's lots of fun to write hehe
GkfDmNh.png
https://greengelpen.tumblr.com/post/176611950118/a-freezing-plague-prologue
How's this? Lol, it's only a prologue of a new huge fanfic I'm writing! Your opinions?
https://greengelpen.tumblr.com/post/176611950118/a-freezing-plague-prologue
How's this? Lol, it's only a prologue of a new huge fanfic I'm writing! Your opinions?
shadow_banner_siggy_by_vipersbite-d7igv4d.png
@micahjaguar
i suppose being cozy and finding inspiration and then thinking about why i even started this helped with it! i hope you’ll get it back fully one day 0:
can i just say when i found out you’re a published writer i got really excited for some reason? it just gave me the fuzzies, someone who managed to do it is here in dragon hell haha
@micahjaguar
i suppose being cozy and finding inspiration and then thinking about why i even started this helped with it! i hope you’ll get it back fully one day 0:
can i just say when i found out you’re a published writer i got really excited for some reason? it just gave me the fuzzies, someone who managed to do it is here in dragon hell haha
..................................... MUYNhfy.png
dEe2UrM.png

5hF3FGk.png
7Y0SkWr.png Np4NxIR.png
HZSRMw5.png
nL26Ewd.png
@jaystar20675 I really liked the way you went straight into the action. Your dialogue is great too, the back and forth between the plaguedragons felt very real. You've got a good balance between action and description too, and it works great as a prologue because it straight away introduces the mystery.

A small grammar note (this is the teacher in me so if it's stuff you already know, just ignore me) - when you write dialogue, after the speech marks are closed and you add a tag, like 'said Evergreen', the first word of the dialogue tag shouldn't be capitalised unless it's a proper noun. So for example:

"Have you lost her, you leaf-brain?” Rasped one.

Should be

"Have you lost her, you leaf-brain?" rasped one.

It can look weird because it feels like the sentence was finished with the question mark, but it hasn't ended if you are adding the tag even if you have ended the speech with an exclamation or question mark. So in the same vein, if you are adding a tag you would never use a full stop at the end of the dialogue, only a comma/question mark/exclamation mark--or maybe an ellipsis or dash.
@jaystar20675 I really liked the way you went straight into the action. Your dialogue is great too, the back and forth between the plaguedragons felt very real. You've got a good balance between action and description too, and it works great as a prologue because it straight away introduces the mystery.

A small grammar note (this is the teacher in me so if it's stuff you already know, just ignore me) - when you write dialogue, after the speech marks are closed and you add a tag, like 'said Evergreen', the first word of the dialogue tag shouldn't be capitalised unless it's a proper noun. So for example:

"Have you lost her, you leaf-brain?” Rasped one.

Should be

"Have you lost her, you leaf-brain?" rasped one.

It can look weird because it feels like the sentence was finished with the question mark, but it hasn't ended if you are adding the tag even if you have ended the speech with an exclamation or question mark. So in the same vein, if you are adding a tag you would never use a full stop at the end of the dialogue, only a comma/question mark/exclamation mark--or maybe an ellipsis or dash.
@MeraHunt What about Metanoia? Meaning a change or conversion.

Or just something simple like the Reawakening?
@MeraHunt What about Metanoia? Meaning a change or conversion.

Or just something simple like the Reawakening?
@MeraHunt just random brainstorming, but sometimes people call it a pilgrimage, or a vigil, when they're petitioning to their god/s for favour or enlightenment? Or you could name it after the number of deities there are, like how in Skyrim they've got that Knights of the Nine Pilgrim's Path that people must tread. If it's a path they go on, or a place of transfiguration, you could name it after the place or what they do there? Just thoughts :)

@Amut that is awesome, and the exerpts are really thrilling! My genre is sort of medieval fantasy? But just knowing how antiheroes are written about in any genre is totally relevant! Thankyou so much for going to such trouble to help, I'm overwhelmed by the effort you went to :D If there's anything I can do to help you with your own writing goals let me know! And good luck getting into that Doctoral work-study thing, fingers crossed for you :)

@MicahJaguar don't get me wrong, I am definitely in the ponies and rainbows camp :D It's just that I had the inkling of an inspiration from a couple of fictional things I've been playing/watching lately, and it hinges on an antihero protagonist's struggles and behaviours to make it an interesting plot. It'll be hard, but I like to run with inspirations when they show up, hope it grows into something. :)

PS: I loved your advice about ignoring and keeping on practising :D that was a definite pep talk I needed matey! :)
@MeraHunt just random brainstorming, but sometimes people call it a pilgrimage, or a vigil, when they're petitioning to their god/s for favour or enlightenment? Or you could name it after the number of deities there are, like how in Skyrim they've got that Knights of the Nine Pilgrim's Path that people must tread. If it's a path they go on, or a place of transfiguration, you could name it after the place or what they do there? Just thoughts :)

@Amut that is awesome, and the exerpts are really thrilling! My genre is sort of medieval fantasy? But just knowing how antiheroes are written about in any genre is totally relevant! Thankyou so much for going to such trouble to help, I'm overwhelmed by the effort you went to :D If there's anything I can do to help you with your own writing goals let me know! And good luck getting into that Doctoral work-study thing, fingers crossed for you :)

@MicahJaguar don't get me wrong, I am definitely in the ponies and rainbows camp :D It's just that I had the inkling of an inspiration from a couple of fictional things I've been playing/watching lately, and it hinges on an antihero protagonist's struggles and behaviours to make it an interesting plot. It'll be hard, but I like to run with inspirations when they show up, hope it grows into something. :)

PS: I loved your advice about ignoring and keeping on practising :D that was a definite pep talk I needed matey! :)
dfUnMqs.gif7XI1FUO.pngwE7J1TW.pngq6Eeqsk.pngdfUnMqs.gif
[/url]
1 2 3 4 5 6