Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Write Away
@Karika

We quietly gathered outside the elder’s tent and lowered to the ground, jostling each other for room. Our rites of passage had finally come to a close. All of us sat there as adults, our childhoods nothing more than memories to cherish later in our lives. We all knew there were sacred stories, stories only passed on by the storyteller to the new adults, stories that we would only hear once, but would remember forever.

The ten of us fell into a reverent hush as the Storyteller pushed aside the canvas that sealed her tent away from the outside world. She was old, perhaps the oldest in the entire tribe. The stringy silver remnants of her hair twisted and coiled about her shoulders. Her legs shook as they carried her slowly to her seat, a simple log that she favored, one that we brought with us whenever we migrated just for her.

With a breath of relief, not too unlike the rustle of fallen leaves in the autumn, she settled upon the log. Her keen dark eyes then passed over each of us in turn. Her smile was toothless and deep wrinkles segmented her face into tiny portions.

“Congratuations,” she started, her voice dry, but soft and gently. We leaned closer as her presence drew us in.

“Tonight, I will tell you of our lands.”

We glanced briefly to one another. Such a boring subject did not seem plausible for the great story.

“When the worlds were young,” she lifted her hand to motion to our sister plant who was hanging as a crescent in the night sky. “Both worlds were green and life flourished. Oceans covered a great amount of our world and a moderate amount of our sister. This land on which we live,” she nudged the rocky ground with her toe, “did not exist.

“One day, a very long time ago, a pair of dragons lifted from the oceanic depths of our Sister. They were huge, large as mountains, and they roamed the world causing terror and grief wherever they went. When our Sister was on the verge of dying, the dragons looked to our world. But each dragon knew that they both wanted it, and they were selfish beasts.

“They raged a war, long and deadly, against one another on our sister world. The oceans evaporated and cast the entire planet into a shroud of mist and clouds. The people here could only watch in horror as the beauty of our Sister was masked in the fury of the dragons.

“One fell. It does not matter which, for both were vile. The other flew here, but was too wounded to wreck its desired vengeance upon our homelands. It collapsed upon the world and fell into a deep slumber.

“Since that day, both dragons have slept, and both dragons have grown. You wonder at our disappearing forests, at the mountains we call the spine of the world, we rest on the body of the victor.” She leaned forward and patted the ground firmly. “This, this is the hide of a dragon, and one day, it will rise again. We pray day to day that day is not today. When one rises, it is prophesized, so will the other, and they will clash again, perhaps between the worlds. We will ride our host unwillingly into battle.”

We stared in silence at the Storyteller as she fell quiet for a moment staring into the night.

“I know you don’t believe me,” she said. “It does seem rather outrageous. But I am sorry, I am sorry you were born in these times, that your greatest day will be marred by horror.”

She lifted a hand and pointed to our Sister. We all followed her gesture obediently. One of us cried out in dismay. A great cloud was passing over the barely visible rocky continent. The cloud coiled and expanded, soon filling the entire expanse of the crescent.

Beneath us, the ground trembled as shouts of terror erupted from the rest of the camp.
@Karika

We quietly gathered outside the elder’s tent and lowered to the ground, jostling each other for room. Our rites of passage had finally come to a close. All of us sat there as adults, our childhoods nothing more than memories to cherish later in our lives. We all knew there were sacred stories, stories only passed on by the storyteller to the new adults, stories that we would only hear once, but would remember forever.

The ten of us fell into a reverent hush as the Storyteller pushed aside the canvas that sealed her tent away from the outside world. She was old, perhaps the oldest in the entire tribe. The stringy silver remnants of her hair twisted and coiled about her shoulders. Her legs shook as they carried her slowly to her seat, a simple log that she favored, one that we brought with us whenever we migrated just for her.

With a breath of relief, not too unlike the rustle of fallen leaves in the autumn, she settled upon the log. Her keen dark eyes then passed over each of us in turn. Her smile was toothless and deep wrinkles segmented her face into tiny portions.

“Congratuations,” she started, her voice dry, but soft and gently. We leaned closer as her presence drew us in.

“Tonight, I will tell you of our lands.”

We glanced briefly to one another. Such a boring subject did not seem plausible for the great story.

“When the worlds were young,” she lifted her hand to motion to our sister plant who was hanging as a crescent in the night sky. “Both worlds were green and life flourished. Oceans covered a great amount of our world and a moderate amount of our sister. This land on which we live,” she nudged the rocky ground with her toe, “did not exist.

“One day, a very long time ago, a pair of dragons lifted from the oceanic depths of our Sister. They were huge, large as mountains, and they roamed the world causing terror and grief wherever they went. When our Sister was on the verge of dying, the dragons looked to our world. But each dragon knew that they both wanted it, and they were selfish beasts.

“They raged a war, long and deadly, against one another on our sister world. The oceans evaporated and cast the entire planet into a shroud of mist and clouds. The people here could only watch in horror as the beauty of our Sister was masked in the fury of the dragons.

“One fell. It does not matter which, for both were vile. The other flew here, but was too wounded to wreck its desired vengeance upon our homelands. It collapsed upon the world and fell into a deep slumber.

“Since that day, both dragons have slept, and both dragons have grown. You wonder at our disappearing forests, at the mountains we call the spine of the world, we rest on the body of the victor.” She leaned forward and patted the ground firmly. “This, this is the hide of a dragon, and one day, it will rise again. We pray day to day that day is not today. When one rises, it is prophesized, so will the other, and they will clash again, perhaps between the worlds. We will ride our host unwillingly into battle.”

We stared in silence at the Storyteller as she fell quiet for a moment staring into the night.

“I know you don’t believe me,” she said. “It does seem rather outrageous. But I am sorry, I am sorry you were born in these times, that your greatest day will be marred by horror.”

She lifted a hand and pointed to our Sister. We all followed her gesture obediently. One of us cried out in dismay. A great cloud was passing over the barely visible rocky continent. The cloud coiled and expanded, soon filling the entire expanse of the crescent.

Beneath us, the ground trembled as shouts of terror erupted from the rest of the camp.
24g3RZs.png_________f6tJHhG.png9mNFxmr.pngik9FTzc.pngUeE49wQ.png_________24g3RZs.png
@Karika

They were brothers, the two emperors. Sibling rulers of divided empires. The Dragons of Wind and Sea, they were called, for their ferocity went unmatched. To each, the mighty empires they ruled were of the utmost importance. They would do anything for their people, twin rulers of passion. Perhaps this was what made it so easy for the war to start, each seeking righteousness for their own reign.

The Dragon of Wind was a man devoted to his family, the success of his dynasty. To him, it was of the utmost importance that he not fail his father, long dead, or else he would be haunted at night by clawing visions that scratched across his soul. As the eldest, he was born with responsibility already on his shoulders. He would die this way too, he knew.

The younger brother, the Dragon of the Sea, was not as bound by honor. He sought to make a legacy of knowledge, of making his realm a cultural haven where wealth came in the form of things learned. He was bound by passion, by the urgent need for growth. He felt tied to the arts, to philosophy, to seeing his people thrive in the light of a world of erudition. To have anything else would be to fail.

It began with the Sea, and a garden. The garden was one of cherry blossoms and ivory walls. Red and black speckled the ground in the form of sculptures and ribbons. A breeze blew, and the sea sang its song of might.

“You seek power too hungrily, my brother.” The Dragon of the Sea was not one to hide behind hidden meanings; he spoke truthfully and without remorse for whatever sting the words promised.

The Dragon of Wind did not immediately reply, and he thought on his brother’s words. If it had been any other man, it would have been a grave insult. Here, now, it was only a minor insult. “And you do not seek enough. Where will your empire go when you are gone? Melting into the sea, unremembered? You care so little in the face of time.”

“Time cannot touch me now, in this moment,” the Sea said. “And where my empire may falter, the things we have created will live on. Perhaps longer, even, then the legacy of your reign.”

“My legacy will outlast the mountains, and even they will recall the time where I was king.”

The brothers were both certain in their words, in the truths they so ardently believed in. Was it not art that they remembered from their ancestors? Was it not honorful deeds that came to mind of past emperors?

This is what they planned: when death at last swept in for them, they would allow their spirits to linger in the mortal realm. They would watch, and wait, as time ate up their empires, as future rulers lived and died. They would then see whose touch lasted the longest.

But things did not play out so peacefully. The Dragon of Wind did not wait long before he allowed his insatiable desire for strength to creep into his heart. No other knew of the brothers bet, but he would be dishonoring himself if he did not do everything he could to best his brother. So the Wind struck up his own plan, and the wheels of war began to turn at last.

Betraying his brother, the Wind took his army and desecrated one of the minor cities within the Sea’s territory. He stole away with his brothers beloved culture, slayed the artistic hands that had created such beauty, and left nothing to be remembered.

The hurt over the treacherous act left the Dragon of the Sea’s heart stung. If he did not have his brother, did he truly have wisdom? Who was he to claim intelligence when he could be bested by his own kin, so easily and without warning? He struck back, quick and venomous, a serpent to a snake.

Many years passed as the brothers warred. Time was a promise, and it ate the world one day at a time. A garden turned sour beneath the sun, a ruined city was soon forgotten, and power rippled over the land as two dragons tugged on the ends.

When at last death came to sweep over the brothers, the land had been scarred with their dispute. They had been earthquakes in their life, and even in passing the ground seemed to tremble. And what did the brothers find in the afterlife? Their touch, where once it had been gracious on the world, had instead tainted it. There was no art to be found in war, and power was bloodied when it was stolen. Honor, culture. It had all fallen short with the hubris of the brothers. It melted in the coming years, and with it went the emperors.

They faded, and faded, until nothing remained.
@Karika

They were brothers, the two emperors. Sibling rulers of divided empires. The Dragons of Wind and Sea, they were called, for their ferocity went unmatched. To each, the mighty empires they ruled were of the utmost importance. They would do anything for their people, twin rulers of passion. Perhaps this was what made it so easy for the war to start, each seeking righteousness for their own reign.

The Dragon of Wind was a man devoted to his family, the success of his dynasty. To him, it was of the utmost importance that he not fail his father, long dead, or else he would be haunted at night by clawing visions that scratched across his soul. As the eldest, he was born with responsibility already on his shoulders. He would die this way too, he knew.

The younger brother, the Dragon of the Sea, was not as bound by honor. He sought to make a legacy of knowledge, of making his realm a cultural haven where wealth came in the form of things learned. He was bound by passion, by the urgent need for growth. He felt tied to the arts, to philosophy, to seeing his people thrive in the light of a world of erudition. To have anything else would be to fail.

It began with the Sea, and a garden. The garden was one of cherry blossoms and ivory walls. Red and black speckled the ground in the form of sculptures and ribbons. A breeze blew, and the sea sang its song of might.

“You seek power too hungrily, my brother.” The Dragon of the Sea was not one to hide behind hidden meanings; he spoke truthfully and without remorse for whatever sting the words promised.

The Dragon of Wind did not immediately reply, and he thought on his brother’s words. If it had been any other man, it would have been a grave insult. Here, now, it was only a minor insult. “And you do not seek enough. Where will your empire go when you are gone? Melting into the sea, unremembered? You care so little in the face of time.”

“Time cannot touch me now, in this moment,” the Sea said. “And where my empire may falter, the things we have created will live on. Perhaps longer, even, then the legacy of your reign.”

“My legacy will outlast the mountains, and even they will recall the time where I was king.”

The brothers were both certain in their words, in the truths they so ardently believed in. Was it not art that they remembered from their ancestors? Was it not honorful deeds that came to mind of past emperors?

This is what they planned: when death at last swept in for them, they would allow their spirits to linger in the mortal realm. They would watch, and wait, as time ate up their empires, as future rulers lived and died. They would then see whose touch lasted the longest.

But things did not play out so peacefully. The Dragon of Wind did not wait long before he allowed his insatiable desire for strength to creep into his heart. No other knew of the brothers bet, but he would be dishonoring himself if he did not do everything he could to best his brother. So the Wind struck up his own plan, and the wheels of war began to turn at last.

Betraying his brother, the Wind took his army and desecrated one of the minor cities within the Sea’s territory. He stole away with his brothers beloved culture, slayed the artistic hands that had created such beauty, and left nothing to be remembered.

The hurt over the treacherous act left the Dragon of the Sea’s heart stung. If he did not have his brother, did he truly have wisdom? Who was he to claim intelligence when he could be bested by his own kin, so easily and without warning? He struck back, quick and venomous, a serpent to a snake.

Many years passed as the brothers warred. Time was a promise, and it ate the world one day at a time. A garden turned sour beneath the sun, a ruined city was soon forgotten, and power rippled over the land as two dragons tugged on the ends.

When at last death came to sweep over the brothers, the land had been scarred with their dispute. They had been earthquakes in their life, and even in passing the ground seemed to tremble. And what did the brothers find in the afterlife? Their touch, where once it had been gracious on the world, had instead tainted it. There was no art to be found in war, and power was bloodied when it was stolen. Honor, culture. It had all fallen short with the hubris of the brothers. It melted in the coming years, and with it went the emperors.

They faded, and faded, until nothing remained.
VvxoVdD.png iceshieldr.png
Pilot
Tumblr
Lore
|
|
|
FR +0
Wishlist
Library
"When dragons fight, the world trembles."

It's the buffeting winds raging inside my head, sending leaves of thoughts racing across in blinding swirls. The percussive wingbeats send force rocking through the air into the ground, so that the racing, twisting, sickening swirl of thoughts carries out it's ugly dance above a shaking, unsteady, breaking base. When they roar it obliterates my ability to hear the soft sounds that belong the my landscape, when they set their breath weapons against each other it sends lightning and fire and water and ice scarring across the land. The chasms do not quickly or easily heal.

They have no care for me. It's a love-hate performance of violent proportions, the grating, sharp sterility of bleach and florescent lights in a hospital against the molding, dank darkness of a crumbling alleyway, against the just-too-dim uncertainty of a place you know so well during a liminal time. It's not that I don't have my own dragons to stand before me. They are afraid to hurt me but I am so wounded and fearful that I hold no such qualms against them. They forgive me. They let me. But in doing so I further am spilling my own blood, fighting against myself and my guardians, I am doing the work of the great winged and flamed beasts that seek to destory me and each other all at once. Destory. Destroy. Are they not the same thing?

I retreat outward to the shallows of myself, stuffing the dragons into the most vulnerable part of my soul and locking them away to destroy me where I can't see. I can, indirectly.

Because when I grieve, when I wail, when I scream so raw and real that my dreams become night terrors and my sanctuary of sleep, my one refuge, becomes plagued with utter terror and pain that even the dragons quail before, when I cry tears of acid that creep slowly into my veins until I die

She was loved. She is missed. She sent an incredible earthquake ricocheting across all of us so that people she never touched felt the aftershock. The amount of pressure stored in the fault lines of her heart - the offspring of her dragons she sent to us - I -

The world has trembled. It's core is cracked and it's axis has shifted, balancing precariously on a pinpoint of misguided hope. This should not have happened. It cannot have, yet it did.

When dragons fight, the world trembles, but if we step up as people to fight, the world will not just tremble. We are beasts fiercer than fire, stronger than flight, with claws sharper than words. Dragons will flee before us. The world will not just tremble. It will be remade.

"When dragons fight, the world trembles."

It's the buffeting winds raging inside my head, sending leaves of thoughts racing across in blinding swirls. The percussive wingbeats send force rocking through the air into the ground, so that the racing, twisting, sickening swirl of thoughts carries out it's ugly dance above a shaking, unsteady, breaking base. When they roar it obliterates my ability to hear the soft sounds that belong the my landscape, when they set their breath weapons against each other it sends lightning and fire and water and ice scarring across the land. The chasms do not quickly or easily heal.

They have no care for me. It's a love-hate performance of violent proportions, the grating, sharp sterility of bleach and florescent lights in a hospital against the molding, dank darkness of a crumbling alleyway, against the just-too-dim uncertainty of a place you know so well during a liminal time. It's not that I don't have my own dragons to stand before me. They are afraid to hurt me but I am so wounded and fearful that I hold no such qualms against them. They forgive me. They let me. But in doing so I further am spilling my own blood, fighting against myself and my guardians, I am doing the work of the great winged and flamed beasts that seek to destory me and each other all at once. Destory. Destroy. Are they not the same thing?

I retreat outward to the shallows of myself, stuffing the dragons into the most vulnerable part of my soul and locking them away to destroy me where I can't see. I can, indirectly.

Because when I grieve, when I wail, when I scream so raw and real that my dreams become night terrors and my sanctuary of sleep, my one refuge, becomes plagued with utter terror and pain that even the dragons quail before, when I cry tears of acid that creep slowly into my veins until I die

She was loved. She is missed. She sent an incredible earthquake ricocheting across all of us so that people she never touched felt the aftershock. The amount of pressure stored in the fault lines of her heart - the offspring of her dragons she sent to us - I -

The world has trembled. It's core is cracked and it's axis has shifted, balancing precariously on a pinpoint of misguided hope. This should not have happened. It cannot have, yet it did.

When dragons fight, the world trembles, but if we step up as people to fight, the world will not just tremble. We are beasts fiercer than fire, stronger than flight, with claws sharper than words. Dragons will flee before us. The world will not just tremble. It will be remade.

RkXJJ5L.png
3adgzZD.png
6Dq3jOp.png
tqGkHih.png
bYt72YT.png
AaYNmEX.png
Sneaking in before rollover just cause.

@Meddlesomedragon
I love the build-up in this, the way they hesitate in their daily tasks and then go back to what they were doing. I like that you’ve given the perspective of those humans that aren’t noticed by the dragons, but whose whole world is affected by their battle.

I also love the way you make the dragons realise what they’ve done, after their battle is finished. I like the way they pause and look at the damage they’ve caused, and show regret. It’s very well written.

(also that signature icon is great, but like C says, a little big to actually fit in the signature.. any chance you could shrink it a little, for us?)

@Chrisondra
Rites of passage are one of my favourite things, and I don’t even know why. I like the description you use for the old lady, too. I liked the start of her story, and the end.. but I found the middle a little lacking. Not a lot, it just needed a little something extra to it, I think. I like the way you ended with the destruction about to start all over again though, that’s great.

@Mypilot
I don’t know if it was on purpose or not, but this sounds like something out of Chinese mythology/legend. I’m picturing dragon emperors full of honour that for some reason look like samurais.
Okay, as I’m reading through more of it I’m thinking the chinese vibe is definitely intentional…

*hands you a gold star and walks away*

@lessthan3
Interesting that you chose to take the prompt as metaphorical dragons, rather than literal ones. I like the mental chaos that you’ve presented, and then the echo of strength at the end, where your character rallies their thoughts and prepares to fight for what they believe in.

Well written!

Winner: Mypilot
Runner up: Chrisondra
Sneaking in before rollover just cause.

@Meddlesomedragon
I love the build-up in this, the way they hesitate in their daily tasks and then go back to what they were doing. I like that you’ve given the perspective of those humans that aren’t noticed by the dragons, but whose whole world is affected by their battle.

I also love the way you make the dragons realise what they’ve done, after their battle is finished. I like the way they pause and look at the damage they’ve caused, and show regret. It’s very well written.

(also that signature icon is great, but like C says, a little big to actually fit in the signature.. any chance you could shrink it a little, for us?)

@Chrisondra
Rites of passage are one of my favourite things, and I don’t even know why. I like the description you use for the old lady, too. I liked the start of her story, and the end.. but I found the middle a little lacking. Not a lot, it just needed a little something extra to it, I think. I like the way you ended with the destruction about to start all over again though, that’s great.

@Mypilot
I don’t know if it was on purpose or not, but this sounds like something out of Chinese mythology/legend. I’m picturing dragon emperors full of honour that for some reason look like samurais.
Okay, as I’m reading through more of it I’m thinking the chinese vibe is definitely intentional…

*hands you a gold star and walks away*

@lessthan3
Interesting that you chose to take the prompt as metaphorical dragons, rather than literal ones. I like the mental chaos that you’ve presented, and then the echo of strength at the end, where your character rallies their thoughts and prepares to fight for what they believe in.

Well written!

Winner: Mypilot
Runner up: Chrisondra
DmRdZYl.png
Aw man, it was actually meant to be two different characters because the first narrator died. Hmmmm I really don't know how to fix that. @Karika thoughts?
Aw man, it was actually meant to be two different characters because the first narrator died. Hmmmm I really don't know how to fix that. @Karika thoughts?
RkXJJ5L.png
3adgzZD.png
6Dq3jOp.png
tqGkHih.png
bYt72YT.png
AaYNmEX.png
[center][img]https://68.media.tumblr.com/ae2def7543cc441cd04c289e8a2e62e0/tumblr_noq1nh8riP1rbq23ko4_1280.jpg[/img] [size=1][size=1][size=1][size=1][size=1][size=1][size=1]@Chrisondra @TidalMoonrise @Mypilot @PixieKnight3264 @Karika @SamIamLuvDov @Lightshadow101 @humanityxpeople @coyearth @Avanari @demonslayr62 @ladylilitu @acorn781 @Endernil @Arithelia @Sillywinter @inthestars @Annalynn @meddlesomedragon @SocialBookWorm @SolusPrime379 @Zodiac753 @Kattata @Reiyn @Skyeset @lessthan3 @AwkwardAngel @Draxia @MintyDragon[/center] [i]Deadline:[/i] September 18th, 20:00 FR time. [center][b]Want to join this? Self editing pinglist is [url=https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dBM6-s4AYOSpYMqzHtyyTD2IGu27hQDf6MlYMGa76uA/edit]here[/url].[/b][/center]

Deadline: September 18th, 20:00 FR time.