Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Dragon Writers: NaNoWriMo Edition!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 20
@VioletWhirlwind Sleep well! May you get lots of writing done when you wake. :)

@Steffon The 'plots in the style of 4-chan threads' sounds very intriguing! What does that look like? Do you have any examples you can share?

@Ickyrus My first two books each took me 2.5-3 years to write! You can do it!

@Satchen Eeeee world-builder's disease! Good luck with it! :)

@CanisLupus03 Yeah, I think part of why I have such a hard time with editing is that I generally like my first draft pretty well. I always like re-reading my work. So even when I know what changes I want to make, in my head it's marked "done". I can read it and I like it so it doesn't REALLY need any more work, right? c_c And this happens even when I've left placeholders in the text like "SCENE NEEDED HERE TO EXPLAIN PLOT-CRITICAL POINT".

... so. Yeah. I try not to leave "SCENE NEEDED HERE" notes because "you can fix it in edits! It'll be easier then!" is such a lie. But some days I just have to lie to myself in order to keep going.
@VioletWhirlwind Sleep well! May you get lots of writing done when you wake. :)

@Steffon The 'plots in the style of 4-chan threads' sounds very intriguing! What does that look like? Do you have any examples you can share?

@Ickyrus My first two books each took me 2.5-3 years to write! You can do it!

@Satchen Eeeee world-builder's disease! Good luck with it! :)

@CanisLupus03 Yeah, I think part of why I have such a hard time with editing is that I generally like my first draft pretty well. I always like re-reading my work. So even when I know what changes I want to make, in my head it's marked "done". I can read it and I like it so it doesn't REALLY need any more work, right? c_c And this happens even when I've left placeholders in the text like "SCENE NEEDED HERE TO EXPLAIN PLOT-CRITICAL POINT".

... so. Yeah. I try not to leave "SCENE NEEDED HERE" notes because "you can fix it in edits! It'll be easier then!" is such a lie. But some days I just have to lie to myself in order to keep going.
Author Website: LadyRowyn.com
It begins (but first there's Discussion topic works and two course papers due Tuesday and all day at work in 2 hours)! ..... I'm not going to have fingers left this month am I? I banged out a tiny little bit, this is all subject to extremely heavy editing, mind you. And to save my sanity a little I'm going to write chunks where thoughts occur to me, and not try to follow this all the way up the evoloutionary chain at once, there are going to be journal references everywhere (but I'm going to pull from PLoS as much as I can.). Heh, maybe I'll even kill three birds with the same stone and decide to run my dergs through the course to develop some unique culture for them. Yay, bio updates that may count. [quote=First Day Jitters!] It would be simple to start at the amphibian state. To say that all aquatic life is the same until it has to turn its fins downwards to walk on land. However, this book is about designing new things, so we won't be covering such old finny ground. [/quote]
It begins (but first there's Discussion topic works and two course papers due Tuesday and all day at work in 2 hours)! ..... I'm not going to have fingers left this month am I?

I banged out a tiny little bit, this is all subject to extremely heavy editing, mind you. And to save my sanity a little I'm going to write chunks where thoughts occur to me, and not try to follow this all the way up the evoloutionary chain at once, there are going to be journal references everywhere (but I'm going to pull from PLoS as much as I can.).

Heh, maybe I'll even kill three birds with the same stone and decide to run my dergs through the course to develop some unique culture for them. Yay, bio updates that may count.
First Day Jitters! wrote:
It would be simple to start at the amphibian state. To say that all aquatic life is the same until it has to turn its fins downwards to walk on land. However, this book is about designing new things, so we won't be covering such old finny ground.

Long Patrol and Hibden
for forum games, please.
QF3R6o0.png mFu1NtF.png
[/center]
@micahjaguar *pets the poisonous and toxic babies! Carefully.*

I will root for you not winning NaNoWriMo because the book finishes before another 50k, then. :) *hugs*
@micahjaguar *pets the poisonous and toxic babies! Carefully.*

I will root for you not winning NaNoWriMo because the book finishes before another 50k, then. :) *hugs*
Author Website: LadyRowyn.com
@LadyRowyn Well, from what my friend has shown me, "greentext" 4chan threads are humorous in nature. Perverted too, in some aspects... But eh, I guess it depends on the board where one found the thread. [img]http://i.imgur.com/caNVZ23.png[/img] I mostly do the backbone of my plots now in this style because I just cannot summon enough energy to go the extra mile and be more detailed. @_@ At the very least, I can go back when I can and try to flesh out the plot, though not necessarily as more bullets in greentext style.
@LadyRowyn Well, from what my friend has shown me, "greentext" 4chan threads are humorous in nature. Perverted too, in some aspects... But eh, I guess it depends on the board where one found the thread.

caNVZ23.png

I mostly do the backbone of my plots now in this style because I just cannot summon enough energy to go the extra mile and be more detailed. @_@ At the very least, I can go back when I can and try to flesh out the plot, though not necessarily as more bullets in greentext style.
Cursed Die
Hi, I'm Steffon.

Saving up: 1,830/7,000 G
- 11 * (530 - 250) = 3,080 G
- Accent Blueprint (10) + Accent Blueprint = 3,500 G
Projects
God-Emperor
Taran's wondrous figurines
Hestia's brood
Guild Wars 2 fandragons
gMDuKVs.png
JHqnR5C.png
oxDm2Un.png
mjtJ868.png
5hF3FGk.png
@LadyRowyn
That editing problem of "I like it so it's fine" is why I'm so glad that I've had a few people to look over it for me. Other people are so much better at pointing out where things make no sense, typos and just generally terrible bits. Although no matter how many times I edit, I always find something that needs cutting/changing.

Then there's my dad's biggest criticism; "It needs more socks" xD

I have since added more socks and woolly bits. I don't know if it's enough, but the thing is long enough without adding in extra random footwear.
@LadyRowyn
That editing problem of "I like it so it's fine" is why I'm so glad that I've had a few people to look over it for me. Other people are so much better at pointing out where things make no sense, typos and just generally terrible bits. Although no matter how many times I edit, I always find something that needs cutting/changing.

Then there's my dad's biggest criticism; "It needs more socks" xD

I have since added more socks and woolly bits. I don't know if it's enough, but the thing is long enough without adding in extra random footwear.
Forum_Banner.png
Yay new month.

Ehhh I'm getting ready to move so I'm not sure if I should attempt my first NaNoWriMo. I mean I want to, but at the same time today alone is just filled with packing, repacking, and getting rid of junk.
Screw it. I'd like to try. ;v;

Good luck to everyone that does though. :3 I'm sure everyone has a great story to tell!
Yay new month.

Ehhh I'm getting ready to move so I'm not sure if I should attempt my first NaNoWriMo. I mean I want to, but at the same time today alone is just filled with packing, repacking, and getting rid of junk.
Screw it. I'd like to try. ;v;

Good luck to everyone that does though. :3 I'm sure everyone has a great story to tell!
marina_small_by_wesleart_by_bombswan-db2x2ss.png
No NaNo this year. Just finishing up a few leftover 30 Day Challenges and working on the Survival Guide. Things got put on hold during October due to reasons...
No NaNo this year. Just finishing up a few leftover 30 Day Challenges and working on the Survival Guide. Things got put on hold during October due to reasons...
axOkNaR.png
ZNhRsiG.png
Is it bad that it's November 1st and I'm still trying to decide?
I know I probably won't have time to complete it, because of school crap, including taking the GRE this month, having finals the first week of December, and otherwise having plenty to do for my classes.
But, I did want to try. Considered making it a goal to just finish an extended scene from a headcanon type story that will never be fully written, but I like certain parts of. Or using NaNo to just help me flesh out parts/world-building in my currently completely unwritten novel.
Yet I'll probably just end up sheering everyone else on this year.

On that note, I love to help people with plotlines and whatnot, and best of luck to everyone participating! I'm rather jealous, but I love seeing so many people so excited and determined!
Is it bad that it's November 1st and I'm still trying to decide?
I know I probably won't have time to complete it, because of school crap, including taking the GRE this month, having finals the first week of December, and otherwise having plenty to do for my classes.
But, I did want to try. Considered making it a goal to just finish an extended scene from a headcanon type story that will never be fully written, but I like certain parts of. Or using NaNo to just help me flesh out parts/world-building in my currently completely unwritten novel.
Yet I'll probably just end up sheering everyone else on this year.

On that note, I love to help people with plotlines and whatnot, and best of luck to everyone participating! I'm rather jealous, but I love seeing so many people so excited and determined!
8f867be293334bc26f8369a83e38ef09ffde0fab.png
Staying far away from NaNoWriMo this months.

My personal challenge is to hit at least 20 hours of art tracked in toggl, that'll be hard enough for me.

But good luck to everybody who participates!
Staying far away from NaNoWriMo this months.

My personal challenge is to hit at least 20 hours of art tracked in toggl, that'll be hard enough for me.

But good luck to everybody who participates!
OhgodsNano....

I'm so not ready for this, but I'm determined to try. I won last year, but just barely after having fallen WAY behind. I don't do Nano in the traditional "start a new novel each year" way. Rather I attempt to use it to kick my butt into gear on the one novel I've been working on. So hopefully I'll have another 50k words to it by the end of the month.
OhgodsNano....

I'm so not ready for this, but I'm determined to try. I won last year, but just barely after having fallen WAY behind. I don't do Nano in the traditional "start a new novel each year" way. Rather I attempt to use it to kick my butt into gear on the one novel I've been working on. So hopefully I'll have another 50k words to it by the end of the month.
JzUZHeP.png6Zs7hJu.pngiwOM9O6.pngjtUkEZ1.pngygWzlbs.png
hwR6tZT.png
WvEXipG.png
oaolHwW.png
HSWqWgZ.png
bvMRM0l.png
rix3ppo.png
YMPbu9R.png
cdqdRxL.png
EE2umbT.png
ZTPpQYU.png
bvMRM0l.png