Back

Bug Report Forums

Report bugs and errors to the Flight Rising development team.
TOPIC | Hoard update not working
1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 34 35
[quote name="Tserin" date="2021-01-03 17:24:37" ] As far as I know McAfee is a notoriously... not very effective AV these days so I wouldn't be surprised if something got past it. [/quote] This. I took a few IT courses in college and my information security professor said that he did not recommend McAfee at all. For removing malware, he recommended Malwarebytes, but I don't remember what (if anything, it was a long time ago so I may have forgotten) he recommended as a general antivirus to prevent malware from infecting the computer in the first place. I'm told by tech savvy people who work in IT that Windows 10's built-in antivirus is surprisingly good these days, and I've had luck with it detecting malware that another highly-rated antivirus (Avast, Avira, or Bitdefender, I forget which one) didn't detect (I didn't try Malwarebytes that time because I didn't know I had malware until I was just testing Windows 10's built-in antivirus, so I didn't think I needed to). It wasn't a false positive either, it was a legit trojan that I looked up just to be sure it wasn't a false positive. I was pretty surprised. If you have the latest update of Windows 10 and your system is up-to-date, it's worth a try. But first, I'd give Malwarebytes a try. Unlike most antiviruses, Malwarebytes can run alongside a primary antivirus and doesn't cause conflict, according to my IT buddies and experts on tech support forums. I haven't needed to use it in a while and I don't know if it's changed, so take that with a grain of salt.
Tserin wrote on 2021-01-03 17:24:37:
As far as I know McAfee is a notoriously... not very effective AV these days so I wouldn't be surprised if something got past it.
This. I took a few IT courses in college and my information security professor said that he did not recommend McAfee at all. For removing malware, he recommended Malwarebytes, but I don't remember what (if anything, it was a long time ago so I may have forgotten) he recommended as a general antivirus to prevent malware from infecting the computer in the first place. I'm told by tech savvy people who work in IT that Windows 10's built-in antivirus is surprisingly good these days, and I've had luck with it detecting malware that another highly-rated antivirus (Avast, Avira, or Bitdefender, I forget which one) didn't detect (I didn't try Malwarebytes that time because I didn't know I had malware until I was just testing Windows 10's built-in antivirus, so I didn't think I needed to). It wasn't a false positive either, it was a legit trojan that I looked up just to be sure it wasn't a false positive. I was pretty surprised. If you have the latest update of Windows 10 and your system is up-to-date, it's worth a try. But first, I'd give Malwarebytes a try.

Unlike most antiviruses, Malwarebytes can run alongside a primary antivirus and doesn't cause conflict, according to my IT buddies and experts on tech support forums. I haven't needed to use it in a while and I don't know if it's changed, so take that with a grain of salt.
MUYNhfy.png
VPnffeY.png
Achillean (NB Achillean flag)
rix3ppo.png
WKtl2lb.png
J7D1quC.png
l4bF82r.pngR9wtXaf.pngiZMfJug.pngwE8InSj.pngBjG9OOU.pnga6YPmbH.gif47CqiMq.gif
ASbXVY4.png
bYt72YT.png
tqGkHih.png
4SE4T9N.png
KrIo0N3.png
t6zNkmJ.png
9JeQCtz.png
I’d recommend it the other way around- run a Windows Defender full scan first since you don’t need to deal with any additional software and see if it can identify the problem, then if it’s not able to find anything download Malwarebytes (the free version is more than enough for your purposes) and have that run a full scan. Both should be able to work around McAfee but McAfee is a notorious trouble causer on all levels so it’s possible it’s blocking the routine Windows Defender scans from running properly.
I’d recommend it the other way around- run a Windows Defender full scan first since you don’t need to deal with any additional software and see if it can identify the problem, then if it’s not able to find anything download Malwarebytes (the free version is more than enough for your purposes) and have that run a full scan. Both should be able to work around McAfee but McAfee is a notorious trouble causer on all levels so it’s possible it’s blocking the routine Windows Defender scans from running properly.
tumblr_inline_nfx4qesxHc1r6zydg.png
[quote name="Darksilverhawk" date="2021-01-03 22:06:01" ] I’d recommend it the other way around- run a Windows Defender full scan first since you don’t need to deal with any additional software and see if it can identify the problem, then if it’s not able to find anything download Malwarebytes (the free version is more than enough for your purposes) and have that run a full scan. Both should be able to work around McAfee but McAfee is a notorious trouble causer on all levels so it’s possible it’s blocking the routine Windows Defender scans from running properly. [/quote] Good idea.
Darksilverhawk wrote on 2021-01-03 22:06:01:
Good idea.
MUYNhfy.png
VPnffeY.png
Achillean (NB Achillean flag)
rix3ppo.png
WKtl2lb.png
J7D1quC.png
l4bF82r.pngR9wtXaf.pngiZMfJug.pngwE8InSj.pngBjG9OOU.pnga6YPmbH.gif47CqiMq.gif
ASbXVY4.png
bYt72YT.png
tqGkHih.png
4SE4T9N.png
KrIo0N3.png
t6zNkmJ.png
9JeQCtz.png
@Darksilverhawk

How do I run a scan with Defender?
I found the program in my system but not seeing any options to run a scan
@Darksilverhawk

[quote name="AnpuRa" date="2021-01-04 05:34:04" ] @Darksilverhawk How do I run a scan with Defender? I found the program in my system but not seeing any options to run a scan [/quote] I think what used to be Windows Defender might be called Windows Security now. If you open that, and then press the virus & threat protection part, there should be a scan option.
AnpuRa wrote on 2021-01-04 05:34:04:
@Darksilverhawk

I think what used to be Windows Defender might be called Windows Security now. If you open that, and then press the virus & threat protection part, there should be a scan option.
WenPrLS.png
@Cinspawn

All that does is open McAfee
@Cinspawn

[quote name="AnpuRa" date="2021-01-04 06:14:08" ] @Cinspawn All that does is open McAfee [/quote] I highly recommend you uninstall McAfee first, and you might need a guide from google to do so, as McAfee (and other antiviruses) are notorious for being hard to remove from the computer. Also @AnpuRa pinging so you see it, make sure you're opening Windows Security, not McAfee Security (as that seems to be a thing as well). But I still highly recommend uninstalling McAfee.
AnpuRa wrote on 2021-01-04 06:14:08:
@Cinspawn

I highly recommend you uninstall McAfee first, and you might need a guide from google to do so, as McAfee (and other antiviruses) are notorious for being hard to remove from the computer.

Also @AnpuRa pinging so you see it, make sure you're opening Windows Security, not McAfee Security (as that seems to be a thing as well). But I still highly recommend uninstalling McAfee.
WenPrLS.png
@AnpuRa I've got some pictures for you. Looks like when they changed it to Windows Security, they added the option to run both Windows Sec and an external AV together! When you open the Security settings, it should look like this. [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/757456683709628426/795713558444900372/unknown.png[/img] See the options at the bottom? Click on that and you'll get this. [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/757456683709628426/795713598725947462/unknown.png[/img] Toggle it to `On` and you'll get a pop up asking if Windows Security can modify your system. This allows it to remove any threats it finds, so say yes. The window will refresh, and now you'll have more options that look like this. [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/757456683709628426/795713675389567026/unknown.png[/img] Open `Scan options` and you'll be presented with a list of different levels of scans. [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/757456683709628426/795713775063400458/unknown.png[/img] You can start with the `Quick scan`, but from what I've heard of this malware, you may need to do the `Windows Defender Offline scan` if that doesn't find it. You can leave Windows Security running alongside of McAfee if you [i]really[/i] want to keep it, but like we've already said, Windows has a perfectly acceptable AV nowadays. Tagging @Cinspawn since they were also helping out.
@AnpuRa I've got some pictures for you. Looks like when they changed it to Windows Security, they added the option to run both Windows Sec and an external AV together!

When you open the Security settings, it should look like this.

unknown.png

See the options at the bottom? Click on that and you'll get this.

unknown.png

Toggle it to `On` and you'll get a pop up asking if Windows Security can modify your system. This allows it to remove any threats it finds, so say yes.

The window will refresh, and now you'll have more options that look like this.

unknown.png

Open `Scan options` and you'll be presented with a list of different levels of scans.

unknown.png

You can start with the `Quick scan`, but from what I've heard of this malware, you may need to do the `Windows Defender Offline scan` if that doesn't find it. You can leave Windows Security running alongside of McAfee if you really want to keep it, but like we've already said, Windows has a perfectly acceptable AV nowadays.

Tagging @Cinspawn since they were also helping out.
jPdGQf9.gif
itumblr_inline_ojq6kwwlmN1r2ao8y_540.png

iiifr+2
itiny_coatl.png140.pngimbcQX2i.pngitiny_sd.png
tumblr_inline_pafumapXAW1r16a5d_540.png
iiiiiiiii
bitumblr_inline_ojq6kqtzXZ1r2ao8y_540.png
tumblr_inline_n6kdvbu87Y1qlye38.gif
TTxEpjT.gif
@Kaepora

Well, I have at least some good news, I can access my Hoard.
I just spent the last few hours doing a big update and clean up on Windows.
I never uninstalled McAfee but things seem to be working.

Though I do have a couple concerns/questions.

When I hover over an item, a big text box pops up. It makes it hard to scan through the Hoard with that tab popping up everywhere and blocking a fair amount of the items. Is that suppose to happen? Can that be toned down or turned off? It is quite distracting.

I don't understand all the extra bells and whistles on the Hoard. The extra clutter on each item. All of it makes the Hoard quite complicated and confusing. I think I understand the basic basic functions, but everything seems more complex and takes longer to do. Am I missing something?

The menus on the top of the Hoard and the menus on the bottom, they squash the amount of visible items into just a couple rows. This with the constantly popping up tab with each item, it makes it hard to see the items. Can that be adjusted?

It might be something that I have to get used to, but the Hoard feels too cluttered and squashed into a narrow space. I guess it lives up to its name now. It feels like entering the home of a Hoarder. XD

I do thank everyone for helping me with this. I'm sorry that nothing really fixed it and a random Windows update would. I feel like I've wasted your time. I'm sorry.
@Kaepora

Well, I have at least some good news, I can access my Hoard.
I just spent the last few hours doing a big update and clean up on Windows.
I never uninstalled McAfee but things seem to be working.

Though I do have a couple concerns/questions.

When I hover over an item, a big text box pops up. It makes it hard to scan through the Hoard with that tab popping up everywhere and blocking a fair amount of the items. Is that suppose to happen? Can that be toned down or turned off? It is quite distracting.

I don't understand all the extra bells and whistles on the Hoard. The extra clutter on each item. All of it makes the Hoard quite complicated and confusing. I think I understand the basic basic functions, but everything seems more complex and takes longer to do. Am I missing something?

The menus on the top of the Hoard and the menus on the bottom, they squash the amount of visible items into just a couple rows. This with the constantly popping up tab with each item, it makes it hard to see the items. Can that be adjusted?

It might be something that I have to get used to, but the Hoard feels too cluttered and squashed into a narrow space. I guess it lives up to its name now. It feels like entering the home of a Hoarder. XD

I do thank everyone for helping me with this. I'm sorry that nothing really fixed it and a random Windows update would. I feel like I've wasted your time. I'm sorry.
@AnpuRa If you click on the Gear Icon you can go to Hoard Settings. Uncheck "Hoard footer will stick to the bottom of the screen while scrolling" and that should help some with the squashing. You also can click the magnifying glass to minimize/open the search menu.

It might also be helpful to review the announcement thread from the Hoard launch.

Don't feel like you wasted our time. I'm glad it (mostly) works for you now!
@AnpuRa If you click on the Gear Icon you can go to Hoard Settings. Uncheck "Hoard footer will stick to the bottom of the screen while scrolling" and that should help some with the squashing. You also can click the magnifying glass to minimize/open the search menu.

It might also be helpful to review the announcement thread from the Hoard launch.

Don't feel like you wasted our time. I'm glad it (mostly) works for you now!
WKtl2lb.png
1YB0OjO.png
RUGBzP5.png
jQub7yI.png
wAfJ7Bn.png
reHWBXk.png
lSyxazy.png
p19HCH0.png
1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 34 35