Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Dev Update: Pinglists & More
1 2 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74
[quote name="Keileon" date="2023-10-29 19:02:24" ] [quote name="HedgeMagic" date="2023-10-29 11:09:28" ] Not a single person comprehends why they NEED to change pinglists. They need to to stop *ABUSE*. That should be a good enough reason for *anyone*. Full stop. [/quote] Then... punish the person abusing the system. Don't cripple that system. The report function exists for a reason. [/quote] @Keileon I believe the issue with "punish the person responsible" is that it's not entirely possible to know [i]who[/i] is responsible. From my understanding, one way of pinglist abuse is to add someone to pinglists similar to the way someone can add an email to a mailing list. With the way google doc pinglists are managed, anyone can anonymously add someone to a pinglist, then the people who are genuinely using those lists are unwittingly pinging someone who did not add themself to the list. Depending on the list they were added to, they could be receiving dozens of notifications they did not sign up for.
Keileon wrote on 2023-10-29 19:02:24:
HedgeMagic wrote on 2023-10-29 11:09:28:
Not a single person comprehends why they NEED to change pinglists. They need to to stop *ABUSE*. That should be a good enough reason for *anyone*. Full stop.
Then... punish the person abusing the system. Don't cripple that system. The report function exists for a reason.

@Keileon I believe the issue with "punish the person responsible" is that it's not entirely possible to know who is responsible. From my understanding, one way of pinglist abuse is to add someone to pinglists similar to the way someone can add an email to a mailing list. With the way google doc pinglists are managed, anyone can anonymously add someone to a pinglist, then the people who are genuinely using those lists are unwittingly pinging someone who did not add themself to the list. Depending on the list they were added to, they could be receiving dozens of notifications they did not sign up for.
eiz • she/they • fr+8
coli grinding & levelling
X94DJRQ.gif
[quote name="eiz" date="2023-10-30 14:33:07" ] [quote name="Keileon" date="2023-10-29 19:02:24" ] [quote name="HedgeMagic" date="2023-10-29 11:09:28" ] Not a single person comprehends why they NEED to change pinglists. They need to to stop *ABUSE*. That should be a good enough reason for *anyone*. Full stop. [/quote] Then... punish the person abusing the system. Don't cripple that system. The report function exists for a reason. [/quote] @Keileon I believe the issue with "punish the person responsible" is that it's not entirely possible to know [i]who[/i] is responsible. From my understanding, one way of pinglist abuse is to add someone to pinglists similar to the way someone can add an email to a mailing list. With the way google doc pinglists are managed, anyone can anonymously add someone to a pinglist, then the people who are genuinely using those lists are unwittingly pinging someone who did not add themself to the list. Depending on the list they were added to, they could be receiving dozens of notifications they did not sign up for. [/quote] @eiz, @Keileon, @HedgeMagic, once an individual with malicious intent has the offsite URL, they no longer need to go through our site, let alone even have an account for us to action.
eiz wrote on 2023-10-30 14:33:07:
Not a single person comprehends why they NEED to change pinglists. They need to to stop *ABUSE*. That should be a good enough reason for *anyone*. Full stop.
Then... punish the person abusing the system. Don't cripple that system. The report function exists for a reason.

@Keileon I believe the issue with "punish the person responsible" is that it's not entirely possible to know who is responsible. From my understanding, one way of pinglist abuse is to add someone to pinglists similar to the way someone can add an email to a mailing list. With the way google doc pinglists are managed, anyone can anonymously add someone to a pinglist, then the people who are genuinely using those lists are unwittingly pinging someone who did not add themself to the list. Depending on the list they were added to, they could be receiving dozens of notifications they did not sign up for.

@eiz, @Keileon, @HedgeMagic, once an individual with malicious intent has the offsite URL, they no longer need to go through our site, let alone even have an account for us to action.
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but there has been a recent issue of people joining every private pinglist by changing the number is the URL bar.
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but there has been a recent issue of people joining every private pinglist by changing the number is the URL bar.
40746453_EaAava4vdIVApfN.png
[quote name="Irlaan" date="2023-10-30 14:53:15" ] I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but there has been a recent issue of people joining every private pinglist by changing the number is the URL bar. [/quote] @Irlaan, current workaround: pinglist owners are able to see who is subscribed and can use the Block feature to prevent that individual from receiving pings.
Irlaan wrote on 2023-10-30 14:53:15:

@Irlaan, current workaround: pinglist owners are able to see who is subscribed and can use the Block feature to prevent that individual from receiving pings.
I'm coming into this very late (71 pages? Wow) but, as I've been moving my hatchery pinglists over to be on-site, I was struck by a thought: it would be nice to have an option of how to sort those who are on the pinglist in a manner other than its current organization (which I think might be clan/ID number?). When it comes to meeting specific requests, sometimes what matters is who joined the list first rather than other potential sorting concepts.

Apologies if this has been mentioned prior - I didn't dig through the thread and just wanted to put my two-cents in about something I just noticed.

I also want to thank y'all for adding the pinglists into the website. I was genuinely thrilled when I saw the notif/post about it: it'll be so much more streamlined and secure to have it be in-house and, as much as I don't like the extra work I'm putting in rn to move it all over, I KNOW it'll pay off in the end :)
I'm coming into this very late (71 pages? Wow) but, as I've been moving my hatchery pinglists over to be on-site, I was struck by a thought: it would be nice to have an option of how to sort those who are on the pinglist in a manner other than its current organization (which I think might be clan/ID number?). When it comes to meeting specific requests, sometimes what matters is who joined the list first rather than other potential sorting concepts.

Apologies if this has been mentioned prior - I didn't dig through the thread and just wanted to put my two-cents in about something I just noticed.

I also want to thank y'all for adding the pinglists into the website. I was genuinely thrilled when I saw the notif/post about it: it'll be so much more streamlined and secure to have it be in-house and, as much as I don't like the extra work I'm putting in rn to move it all over, I KNOW it'll pay off in the end :)
aaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaa49763919121_34ac4bea71_m.jpg
Much love to the team - they are so thoughtful and taking a lot of time to reply to people [emoji=spiral happy size=1][emoji=heart size=1] It's impossible to find a perfect solution for everyone, though I know all the feedback and discussion will be taken seriously and the dev team will do their best to address it! They are already ;)
Much love to the team - they are so thoughtful and taking a lot of time to reply to people

It's impossible to find a perfect solution for everyone, though I know all the feedback and discussion will be taken seriously and the dev team will do their best to address it! They are already ;)
Dragons for sale: 17487.png Renting your nests: 745.png otakuderp13-1.png
This is such a fun update! I love getting insight into how the team is thinking about this stuff. I love the pinglist stuff being official. It's adorable and tangible.

The skin updates are also very very exciting!~ Ahhh as always, thanks for sharing!
This is such a fun update! I love getting insight into how the team is thinking about this stuff. I love the pinglist stuff being official. It's adorable and tangible.

The skin updates are also very very exciting!~ Ahhh as always, thanks for sharing!
eP65k0J.png
RE: Aequorin's recent update

It's so nice to see how much thought goes into the decision-making at FR. Well put!
RE: Aequorin's recent update

It's so nice to see how much thought goes into the decision-making at FR. Well put!
hHi8SF1.pngrix3ppo.png 63e7d1e32734cf1f42976aa3cf98d97aa5bb059a.png
[quote name="Aequorin" date="2023-10-30 14:42:11" ] [quote name="eiz" date="2023-10-30 14:33:07" ] [quote name="Keileon" date="2023-10-29 19:02:24" ] [quote name="HedgeMagic" date="2023-10-29 11:09:28" ] Not a single person comprehends why they NEED to change pinglists. They need to to stop *ABUSE*. That should be a good enough reason for *anyone*. Full stop. [/quote] Then... punish the person abusing the system. Don't cripple that system. The report function exists for a reason. [/quote] @Keileon I believe the issue with "punish the person responsible" is that it's not entirely possible to know [i]who[/i] is responsible. From my understanding, one way of pinglist abuse is to add someone to pinglists similar to the way someone can add an email to a mailing list. With the way google doc pinglists are managed, anyone can anonymously add someone to a pinglist, then the people who are genuinely using those lists are unwittingly pinging someone who did not add themself to the list. Depending on the list they were added to, they could be receiving dozens of notifications they did not sign up for. [/quote] @eiz, @Keileon, @HedgeMagic, once an individual with malicious intent has the offsite URL, they no longer need to go through our site, let alone even have an account for us to action. [/quote] I understand that much. What I'm [i]mostly[/i] referring to is the fact that onsite pinglists can only be used by the creator of the list. Open GDocs have never been foolproof, sadly, but it's my hope that there's still going to be mass ping [i]functionality[/i] for those cases where the onsite system won't work. [s]I'm sorry it took me so long to reply I saw three people ping me and my conflict aversion spiked my anxiety[/s]
Aequorin wrote on 2023-10-30 14:42:11:
eiz wrote on 2023-10-30 14:33:07:

@eiz, @Keileon, @HedgeMagic, once an individual with malicious intent has the offsite URL, they no longer need to go through our site, let alone even have an account for us to action.
I understand that much. What I'm mostly referring to is the fact that onsite pinglists can only be used by the creator of the list. Open GDocs have never been foolproof, sadly, but it's my hope that there's still going to be mass ping functionality for those cases where the onsite system won't work.

I'm sorry it took me so long to reply I saw three people ping me and my conflict aversion spiked my anxiety
BYuYwFJ.pngcikPv2b.png
sKduNXf.pngJZT1CKc.png
[quote name="Xhaztol" date="2023-10-26 09:21:29" ] [url=http://flightrising.com/dropbox/prev_pinglists_bbcode.png][img alt=" A screenshot depicting the text commands to use a pinglist and to embed a pinglist widget into a post."]http://flightrising.com/dropbox/prev_pinglists_bbcode.png[/img][/url] [/quote] wait whats up with the shortcut url thing ? is this an admin thing?
Xhaztol wrote on 2023-10-26 09:21:29:
 A screenshot depicting the text commands to use a pinglist and to embed a pinglist widget into a post.
wait whats up with the shortcut url thing ? is this an admin thing?
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
1 2 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74