Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Developer Update - Coliseum PVP
1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 40 41
So excited for this, and I'm personally really happy that the rewards will be clanbound! It's nice to have something to show off your PVP prowess instead of just being able to buy it off of someone else. Gives the apparel more significance. Can't wait to test it out!
So excited for this, and I'm personally really happy that the rewards will be clanbound! It's nice to have something to show off your PVP prowess instead of just being able to buy it off of someone else. Gives the apparel more significance. Can't wait to test it out!
output-onlinegiftools.gif
Oh, this is so cool! I'm looking forward to it!
Oh, this is so cool! I'm looking forward to it!
Wetdog | she/her | fr +3
Ah its been nearly 2 years since I experienced the pVp mode. Good times
Ah its been nearly 2 years since I experienced the pVp mode. Good times
""I feel I should apologize for what's happened here... some of my employees took things too far."
I Really LOVE the idea of clanbound battle-themed apparel. It being clanbound gives better immersion to the game and a real purpose to the system, otherwise I fear will happen like most pvp rooms in any kind of games that after a while become pretty much empty and only populated by farmers that will then hold the monopoly of the stuff. I really prefer the stuff to be something awarded by using the system instead of a pay-2-earn.

Though I would prefer it to be obtainable via some kind of PvP currency/points instead of only top leaderboards. That way it would be fair enough to make it cycle in/out or retire after a decent period of time, or even could have special apparel/vistas to be account-bound battle exclusives, and some minor, cheaper ones to be tradeable (tho considering the apparel obtainable from monster battles I don't see the point of making tradeable those of PvP)
I Really LOVE the idea of clanbound battle-themed apparel. It being clanbound gives better immersion to the game and a real purpose to the system, otherwise I fear will happen like most pvp rooms in any kind of games that after a while become pretty much empty and only populated by farmers that will then hold the monopoly of the stuff. I really prefer the stuff to be something awarded by using the system instead of a pay-2-earn.

Though I would prefer it to be obtainable via some kind of PvP currency/points instead of only top leaderboards. That way it would be fair enough to make it cycle in/out or retire after a decent period of time, or even could have special apparel/vistas to be account-bound battle exclusives, and some minor, cheaper ones to be tradeable (tho considering the apparel obtainable from monster battles I don't see the point of making tradeable those of PvP)
lU1KFhR.gif
Kydo
He/Him
FR+4
256-large.png
Do what comes natural~

cauldrontext.png

[u][/u][quote name="Xhaztol" date="2019-08-21 09:18:18" ] [size=4]PVP Accolades & Incentives[/size] Whoever wins a Ranked Battle will see their matchmaking rank improve, helping them climb the Coliseum [b]leaderboards[/b]. The leaderboards will be available for everyone to see within the Coliseum’s PVP main menu. In addition to the leaderboards, however, we’re also planning on adding a few more cool [b]incentives[/b] for would-be Ranked Battle combatants. Here are just a few examples [i](not final)[/i] of some of the things we’re workshopping or brainstorming: [LIST] [*]Top dragons in several kinds of categories [i](e.g. highest melee damage, highest magical damage, most wins, etc.)[/i] may temporarily show up on the Coliseum PVP main menu for everyone to admire. [*]You can earn progressively more awesome battle-themed forum vistas with accumulated Ranked Battle victories. Maybe you get a cool little crown or trophy near your forum avatar. [*]You can purchase special clanbound battle-themed apparel to strike fear into the hearts of your adversaries. [/LIST] [center][img]http://flightrising.com/dropbox/coliseumpvp/prev_pvpmainmenu.png[/img] [/center] Our goal with Ranked Battle rewards is providing players who like PVP with something cool [u]that doesn’t touch the game economy or provide anyone with real gameplay advantages[/u]. As always, we’re open to feedback or suggestions on things you think might make the Ranked Battle system epic. ------------------ [b] [i]-X[/i] [/quote] While I understand the sensitivity of the economy, and not wanting to end up the way Neopets (and some others pet games) ended up by having too much going on (economy wise), I think the incentives are still a bit thin. I know we cannot compare the old system to the new one, because from what I read, it's a total re-haul. [u]Point 1: Mages?[/u] I also like the idea that maybe the other abilities will become more important. But, maybe mages wouldn't get nerfed as easily too? Or their abilities maybe have more... I don't know.. something useful? Tanks are great, fighters are great, but FR's mages are nearly worthless except in Golem Workshop. Sure our awesome FR players have come up with cool hybrids for PvE dragons that use meditate, but pure mages.... eh.... They are good for rp I suppose? >.> So maybe, in line with these incentives, and changes to abilities, maybe do something to help FR dragon mages be a little more useful? [u]Point 2: Economy busting?[/u] Yes having cool PvP only stuff that is clan-bound is a great idea. It gives PvP something special about it that could encourage more people to play it (maybe?). However, like many "fighting games", there will be people who try it and walk away from it because it doesn't hold anything extra for them to encourage them to play. The old PvP system, a SMALL group would play it because it was for the leaderboard/thrill of kicking another player's dragons' tails. Also, if you had Coli-PvE only dragons in a PvP battle, they'd get trashed. Even with the tweaks, the dev team is suggesting, I doubt it would make PvE dragons PvP abled. Kicking another dragon's tail is a lot different because you have a player, not an algorithm, behind it. PvP dragon stats, to go toe to toe with another dragon group, took a bit more thought and strategy.... which also means more treasure/gem investment.[i] But they ultimately did not do so well in the Coli (as farmers or trainers). [/i] Sooooo, having a set a of dragons in your lair that [u]are PvP only is costly, and they do nothing to benefit a player's lair.[/u] PvE dragons can net exaltees, grind for drops, be used to train other dragons (as a paid service). They are useful beyond PvE. Cool stuff is cool, like badges (man I love badges), but they do nothing to help a player earn treasure (or gems). [u]Conclusion:[/u] What I'm ultimately getting at is, yes I understand you all are trying to protect the economy from collapsing (or whatnot), however, the overall GRIND to make treasure (which you need to get the things you want) is killer. And since PvP dragons don't benefit a lair outside of "badges"/awards, and items (as has been suggested) that cannot be sold, they are not good for Lair ROI. This includes selling of PvP trained dragons - because the buying player gets no benefit from it. [u]Suggestion:[/u] There needs to be a way to make PvP dragons (and the treasure put into them) worth something more to the Lair. If you cannot answer the "why put the effort into it?" with some way it benefits a lair, then you are going to run into the problem that you had before. As cool as it is, few people will play it. 1) Maybe there could be a monthly tournament feature, where players get something to benefit their lairs (like 2-4 gilded treasure chests, or eggs, or a special familiar, or coli stones, or mid-to rare drops of some kind (like weapons?/armor)). 2) Or, maybe, the system already in place (not sure how you guys have it organized) could be borrowed from, I believe? So that the Dragon elements from the losing team is what the system can offer a few drops for winning? 3) IF the devs are *still* insistent that the PvP system benefits nobody outside of bragging rights, then[i] I suggest folks think how PvE dragons could win at PvP.[/i]
Xhaztol wrote on 2019-08-21 09:18:18:

PVP Accolades & Incentives

Whoever wins a Ranked Battle will see their matchmaking rank improve, helping them climb the Coliseum leaderboards. The leaderboards will be available for everyone to see within the Coliseum’s PVP main menu.

In addition to the leaderboards, however, we’re also planning on adding a few more cool incentives for would-be Ranked Battle combatants. Here are just a few examples (not final) of some of the things we’re workshopping or brainstorming:

• Top dragons in several kinds of categories (e.g. highest melee damage, highest magical damage, most wins, etc.) may temporarily show up on the Coliseum PVP main menu for everyone to admire.
  • You can earn progressively more awesome battle-themed forum vistas with accumulated Ranked Battle victories. Maybe you get a cool little crown or trophy near your forum avatar.
  • You can purchase special clanbound battle-themed apparel to strike fear into the hearts of your adversaries.

prev_pvpmainmenu.png

Our goal with Ranked Battle rewards is providing players who like PVP with something cool that doesn’t touch the game economy or provide anyone with real gameplay advantages. As always, we’re open to feedback or suggestions on things you think might make the Ranked Battle system epic.

-X

While I understand the sensitivity of the economy, and not wanting to end up the way Neopets (and some others pet games) ended up by having too much going on (economy wise), I think the incentives are still a bit thin.

I know we cannot compare the old system to the new one, because from what I read, it's a total re-haul.

Point 1: Mages?

I also like the idea that maybe the other abilities will become more important. But, maybe mages wouldn't get nerfed as easily too? Or their abilities maybe have more... I don't know.. something useful?

Tanks are great, fighters are great, but FR's mages are nearly worthless except in Golem Workshop. Sure our awesome FR players have come up with cool hybrids for PvE dragons that use meditate, but pure mages.... eh.... They are good for rp I suppose? >.>

So maybe, in line with these incentives, and changes to abilities, maybe do something to help FR dragon mages be a little more useful?

Point 2: Economy busting?

Yes having cool PvP only stuff that is clan-bound is a great idea. It gives PvP something special about it that could encourage more people to play it (maybe?). However, like many "fighting games", there will be people who try it and walk away from it because it doesn't hold anything extra for them to encourage them to play.

The old PvP system, a SMALL group would play it because it was for the leaderboard/thrill of kicking another player's dragons' tails.

Also, if you had Coli-PvE only dragons in a PvP battle, they'd get trashed. Even with the tweaks, the dev team is suggesting, I doubt it would make PvE dragons PvP abled. Kicking another dragon's tail is a lot different because you have a player, not an algorithm, behind it.

PvP dragon stats, to go toe to toe with another dragon group, took a bit more thought and strategy.... which also means more treasure/gem investment. But they ultimately did not do so well in the Coli (as farmers or trainers).

Sooooo, having a set a of dragons in your lair that are PvP only is costly, and they do nothing to benefit a player's lair. PvE dragons can net exaltees, grind for drops, be used to train other dragons (as a paid service). They are useful beyond PvE.

Cool stuff is cool, like badges (man I love badges), but they do nothing to help a player earn treasure (or gems).

Conclusion:
What I'm ultimately getting at is, yes I understand you all are trying to protect the economy from collapsing (or whatnot), however, the overall GRIND to make treasure (which you need to get the things you want) is killer.

And since PvP dragons don't benefit a lair outside of "badges"/awards, and items (as has been suggested) that cannot be sold, they are not good for Lair ROI. This includes selling of PvP trained dragons - because the buying player gets no benefit from it.

Suggestion: There needs to be a way to make PvP dragons (and the treasure put into them) worth something more to the Lair. If you cannot answer the "why put the effort into it?" with some way it benefits a lair, then you are going to run into the problem that you had before. As cool as it is, few people will play it.

1) Maybe there could be a monthly tournament feature, where players get something to benefit their lairs (like 2-4 gilded treasure chests, or eggs, or a special familiar, or coli stones, or mid-to rare drops of some kind (like weapons?/armor)).

2) Or, maybe, the system already in place (not sure how you guys have it organized) could be borrowed from, I believe? So that the Dragon elements from the losing team is what the system can offer a few drops for winning?

3) IF the devs are *still* insistent that the PvP system benefits nobody outside of bragging rights, then I suggest folks think how PvE dragons could win at PvP.

What exactly is the reason for clanbinding the apparel? It seems like something you should be able sell or trade if you want because you earned it, unlike previously clanbound items like the vials and gaoler scrolls.
What exactly is the reason for clanbinding the apparel? It seems like something you should be able sell or trade if you want because you earned it, unlike previously clanbound items like the vials and gaoler scrolls.
Interesting.
Interesting.
............... 29169624.png ........... 29169625.png ........... 42368851.png ...........
I am so hyped for pvp, i just hope theres no fotm build in the process of tuning and we don't end up with one op build for the next 239012321 years ,_,
I am so hyped for pvp, i just hope theres no fotm build in the process of tuning and we don't end up with one op build for the next 239012321 years ,_,
50475342.png
* Derg4You (Free Lvl 10 Dragons + too many Raffles)
* Sales (Just another tab..)
* Mr. Moo's lazy simple Sales (oh gosh pls -.-)
* no rAgrets (How to make Cash/Survive G&G and more)

[quote name="Chronosplit" date="2019-08-21 13:03:21" ] The main issue about the coli in general is that it turns into a chore. This is because there is next to no variety. Not doing anything to the core of monster battling or dragon building was an extremely poor move, as this would be the time to put excitement into the game. This is also a missed opportunity to add skills that would give us something unique to build, and likewise with the monsters. And well, probably a bit obviously... remember gen 1 Pokemon's hyper beam, how it dominated everything because there was no recharge if it resulted in a faint? Depending on how things work, Elims may become hyper beam in PVP because we know they'll be untouched. When the only reason why people are battling monsters at all is for dom or money, and they're doing it while playing another game because it's a bore otherwise, something is extremely wrong and you need to look at this before PVP. Because it would put PVP under the same light. It's kinda like MMO grinding, but the payoff is completely unrelated to the MMO gameplay itself. [/quote] This as well. Note: I remember when the battle system was put into place to test it FOR the RPG feature that never happened.
Chronosplit wrote on 2019-08-21 13:03:21:
The main issue about the coli in general is that it turns into a chore. This is because there is next to no variety. Not doing anything to the core of monster battling or dragon building was an extremely poor move, as this would be the time to put excitement into the game. This is also a missed opportunity to add skills that would give us something unique to build, and likewise with the monsters. And well, probably a bit obviously... remember gen 1 Pokemon's hyper beam, how it dominated everything because there was no recharge if it resulted in a faint? Depending on how things work, Elims may become hyper beam in PVP because we know they'll be untouched.

When the only reason why people are battling monsters at all is for dom or money, and they're doing it while playing another game because it's a bore otherwise, something is extremely wrong and you need to look at this before PVP. Because it would put PVP under the same light. It's kinda like MMO grinding, but the payoff is completely unrelated to the MMO gameplay itself.

This as well.

Note: I remember when the battle system was put into place to test it FOR the RPG feature that never happened.
Clanbound apparel lmao nah
Clanbound apparel lmao nah
She|Her - Ace - FRT(0) | Lore
g67EwfB.png
1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 40 41