Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Stained: A Tertiary Gene
1 2 ... 102 103 104 105 106 ... 116 117
Ehhhhh I'm not sure how much I like this? It seems a bit simple for a gem gene tbh
Ehhhhh I'm not sure how much I like this? It seems a bit simple for a gem gene tbh
Idea: Good
Gene: Good (It does what it's supposed to do and isn't made broke.)
Price: Bad

I mean, it isn't broke as in it works properly (unlike the last gradient), however, it was apparently built quite broken, so you've got weird clipping on quite a number of templates. Imp males got fixed, but the females I haven't heard of. It would be really nice if the pieces were checked prior to running them through the generator: with and over dark, light, saturate, desaturate... so this stuff doesn't keep happening.
Idea: Good
Gene: Good (It does what it's supposed to do and isn't made broke.)
Price: Bad

I mean, it isn't broke as in it works properly (unlike the last gradient), however, it was apparently built quite broken, so you've got weird clipping on quite a number of templates. Imp males got fixed, but the females I haven't heard of. It would be really nice if the pieces were checked prior to running them through the generator: with and over dark, light, saturate, desaturate... so this stuff doesn't keep happening.
tumblr_inline_nkv3lxj0hb1qg2i5p.png CALL
1-800
Crystalbelly
NOW!!!

#AllTheRainbows
#ClickHereForMore
@MissK True! It would definitely work well as a Baldwin gene. However, I think Stained still plays significantly differently than Poison and Toxin, and Iridescent/Shimmer and Crystal/Facet also change how the colors work (in a different way). So, it works pretty well in either one, and which one it goes in ultimately decides how it plays.

There are a number of things that could be done differently, and arguably better with Stained (I personally would like it better if the colors stayed more saturated, but some people like more subtle/duller colors), but it's unlikely to change now. My main concern is that some people are being rather vicious about disliking it.

Honestly, I think gem genes are as expensive as they are to set up a certain gameplay experience, not to get money. The devs probably want to discourage people from throwing the scrolls around willy nilly. They'd probably get more money overall if the prices were lower.
@MissK True! It would definitely work well as a Baldwin gene. However, I think Stained still plays significantly differently than Poison and Toxin, and Iridescent/Shimmer and Crystal/Facet also change how the colors work (in a different way). So, it works pretty well in either one, and which one it goes in ultimately decides how it plays.

There are a number of things that could be done differently, and arguably better with Stained (I personally would like it better if the colors stayed more saturated, but some people like more subtle/duller colors), but it's unlikely to change now. My main concern is that some people are being rather vicious about disliking it.

Honestly, I think gem genes are as expensive as they are to set up a certain gameplay experience, not to get money. The devs probably want to discourage people from throwing the scrolls around willy nilly. They'd probably get more money overall if the prices were lower.
5891598x3192239.png
Meh, I have NEVER bought gems. But between selling on the AH for gems and opening chests, I easily saved 5k gems in one year. So long as I don't buy gem items like crazy ALL THE TIME I don't see any problem with the price point?

This is a GAME. And the standard now for games is that there is a way for individuals to be able to 'buy' portions of it. Yes, it means that those of us who don't buy gems have to wait for a while, but that's okay! That's how games //work// now. FR is a small game still, with a pretty small staff but with the expenses of a bigger company. So it has to have that additional income from players willing to pay it! (And quite frankly, if they're willing to pay they should be able to!)

THAT SAID... I hate this gene. >.> It is so boring! All my dragons looked washed out and loose the SPARKLE they had with some of the other terts.
Meh, I have NEVER bought gems. But between selling on the AH for gems and opening chests, I easily saved 5k gems in one year. So long as I don't buy gem items like crazy ALL THE TIME I don't see any problem with the price point?

This is a GAME. And the standard now for games is that there is a way for individuals to be able to 'buy' portions of it. Yes, it means that those of us who don't buy gems have to wait for a while, but that's okay! That's how games //work// now. FR is a small game still, with a pretty small staff but with the expenses of a bigger company. So it has to have that additional income from players willing to pay it! (And quite frankly, if they're willing to pay they should be able to!)

THAT SAID... I hate this gene. >.> It is so boring! All my dragons looked washed out and loose the SPARKLE they had with some of the other terts.
tumblr_o91sbhrJ591u5w39do2_500.png[/url]
@Wildcat Yeah I see what you mean, of course those sets all have different purposes and ways of application. To me, Stained has a rather meh effect on dragons with already matching colours, same as poison and toxin, while with unexpected combinations you get something uniquely interesting. That's where I drew the comparison from. Still, I wouldn't say that should be enough reason for it to fit better in that category.

But personally for the sake of balance just as much as price I'd rather have seen it as either a treasure or Baldwin gene. I posted a few pages back a breakdown of how many genes from each category are acquired with treasure, gems and Baldwin, and right now the treasure and definitely Baldwin aspects of terts are the ones lacking, not the gem one. So if we also take into consideration the fact that, objectively speaking, this is a tert that literally anyone that knows how opacity works could make, I don't think it was the best choice for the gem marketplace.

Don't get me wrong though, I do like it in some combinations (in fact I'd get at least a couple if they weren't priced like that but alas), and agree that some people might be a bit more harsh than necessary. Despite wishing it were possible, I definitely don't see things changing since people must have already bought the gene. So all we can do is simply give our opinions and criticism hopefully to be taken into consideration in future releases.
@Wildcat Yeah I see what you mean, of course those sets all have different purposes and ways of application. To me, Stained has a rather meh effect on dragons with already matching colours, same as poison and toxin, while with unexpected combinations you get something uniquely interesting. That's where I drew the comparison from. Still, I wouldn't say that should be enough reason for it to fit better in that category.

But personally for the sake of balance just as much as price I'd rather have seen it as either a treasure or Baldwin gene. I posted a few pages back a breakdown of how many genes from each category are acquired with treasure, gems and Baldwin, and right now the treasure and definitely Baldwin aspects of terts are the ones lacking, not the gem one. So if we also take into consideration the fact that, objectively speaking, this is a tert that literally anyone that knows how opacity works could make, I don't think it was the best choice for the gem marketplace.

Don't get me wrong though, I do like it in some combinations (in fact I'd get at least a couple if they weren't priced like that but alas), and agree that some people might be a bit more harsh than necessary. Despite wishing it were possible, I definitely don't see things changing since people must have already bought the gene. So all we can do is simply give our opinions and criticism hopefully to be taken into consideration in future releases.
I think I could make a 10pack of skincents or something with a 10% opacity for less than the Stained gene, and I am terrible at digital art!
I think I could make a 10pack of skincents or something with a 10% opacity for less than the Stained gene, and I am terrible at digital art!
[quote]Meh, I have NEVER bought gems. But between selling on the AH for gems and opening chests, I easily saved 5k gems in one year. So long as I don't buy gem items like crazy ALL THE TIME I don't see any problem with the price point?[/quote] 5000g over a year. 5000g will completely Gem Gene a single dragon. Primary, Secondary, Tertiary. And that's it. A year of work for what amounts to a single dragon. Just realized how busted this whole gem thing really is, jeeze.
Quote:

5000g over a year. 5000g will completely Gem Gene a single dragon. Primary, Secondary, Tertiary. And that's it.

A year of work for what amounts to a single dragon.

Just realized how busted this whole gem thing really is, jeeze.
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
Oh, whoa, that's crazy!
Oh, whoa, that's crazy!
tumblr_inline_nbe8duyTA81qg78ij.pngmFjnag2.pngtumblr_inline_nbe8e2NZyN1qg78ij.png
Nice gene, but not worth the price.
Nice gene, but not worth the price.
OuDych9.png
I'm sorry but I just don't get Stained... in most cases (I've checked all my dragons - it works with ONE, and he's still preferable with his current tert) it just seems to dull down existing colours... Good if you want a homogeneous dragon, maybe a lot of folks do because there's no other way to blend dissimilar Pri/Sec colours? I suppose it's a variant on monochrome and it might be spectacular with a few specific combos. To me though it's just like the result of mixing up all your play doh. Not something I'll be introducing to my lair and certainly not something I'd pay gems for, but to each their own! I'm glad it's making lots of people happy, anyway.
I'm sorry but I just don't get Stained... in most cases (I've checked all my dragons - it works with ONE, and he's still preferable with his current tert) it just seems to dull down existing colours... Good if you want a homogeneous dragon, maybe a lot of folks do because there's no other way to blend dissimilar Pri/Sec colours? I suppose it's a variant on monochrome and it might be spectacular with a few specific combos. To me though it's just like the result of mixing up all your play doh. Not something I'll be introducing to my lair and certainly not something I'd pay gems for, but to each their own! I'm glad it's making lots of people happy, anyway.
CTF4up6.png
1 2 ... 102 103 104 105 106 ... 116 117