Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | A Pirate Walks into a Bar-
1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 39 40
AH THIS IS GREAT :'D I ALWAYS LOVE NEW GENES
AH THIS IS GREAT :'D I ALWAYS LOVE NEW GENES
Art_shop_test.png ........................ Adopt_shop_edit.png
@Kaytara

I'm gonna be a debbie downer on you, and feel free to point out if I'm regurgitating anything that's been said before. But if I read you correctly (and please correct me if I'm wrong), your post boils down to how people with slow internet are basically getting the short end of the stick.

Thing is, it's not just you.

You can have fast internet, you can have slow internet, but what the new genes boil down to is luck. Yes, people with fast internet can refresh a lot more and have higher odds of stumbling across the genes, but what it boils down to is randomness- and that won't necessarily go to someone with higher odds.

Whenever a new thing is introduced, there's a High Demand and until supply can rise to meet that demand, there's going to be a shortage. That's just basic economics. Yes, this is a digital site and it could feasibly be designed to increase the supply and/or make it unlimited- but IMHO - and I think we think differently on this part - that's no fun. I don't *want* everything to be easily accessible. I *want* there to be that surge of triumph when I get a rare item, finally, and a satisfied 'that was worth the wait'.

Again, we seem to think differently on that. And that's fine. What I'm trying to do here is not say YOU ARE WRONG so much as offer a counterpoint as to why I think they designed this this way.

Is a perfect system? heck no! There are huge flaws in the economy right now, and yeah, dragon breeding is no longer as lucrative as it once was unless you find a rare niche where things are wanted but nobody has. Personally, I find myself always late to those parties; my own inflow as late comes from the Coli and Familiars.

Personally I'd like to see some games that are a bit simpler, to accommodate those with low-end computers- I've a netbook that's only so capable of handling the Coli, and wouldn't mind an FR-based solitaire/freecell/card game (RoA doesn't count) if they can manage it. I can't program; I don't know how hard that'd be. I'm mostly thinking back to Neopets of 10+ years ago, and the games they had around that time.

Still- people who have lower-end computers are going to suffer on any website, not just FR. As technology progresses further and further games will be designed to match that newer technology, leaving older processors behind as things continually move on.

That's not FR or bad design. That's the world we live in. It sucks, I'm fully agreeing with you there- but there's a time with any system where they stop offering back-compatibility. See; Windows finally stopping XP support.

I want Adventure and Crafitng as much as you do. I'm bemused it's taking so long to make, and wondering if it's actually going to be made at all at this point. But I'm not letting that take away my enjoyment of other features of the site.

And if I get bored? Hey, I've got other things to do. Can't waste my time on here forever. :)
@Kaytara

I'm gonna be a debbie downer on you, and feel free to point out if I'm regurgitating anything that's been said before. But if I read you correctly (and please correct me if I'm wrong), your post boils down to how people with slow internet are basically getting the short end of the stick.

Thing is, it's not just you.

You can have fast internet, you can have slow internet, but what the new genes boil down to is luck. Yes, people with fast internet can refresh a lot more and have higher odds of stumbling across the genes, but what it boils down to is randomness- and that won't necessarily go to someone with higher odds.

Whenever a new thing is introduced, there's a High Demand and until supply can rise to meet that demand, there's going to be a shortage. That's just basic economics. Yes, this is a digital site and it could feasibly be designed to increase the supply and/or make it unlimited- but IMHO - and I think we think differently on this part - that's no fun. I don't *want* everything to be easily accessible. I *want* there to be that surge of triumph when I get a rare item, finally, and a satisfied 'that was worth the wait'.

Again, we seem to think differently on that. And that's fine. What I'm trying to do here is not say YOU ARE WRONG so much as offer a counterpoint as to why I think they designed this this way.

Is a perfect system? heck no! There are huge flaws in the economy right now, and yeah, dragon breeding is no longer as lucrative as it once was unless you find a rare niche where things are wanted but nobody has. Personally, I find myself always late to those parties; my own inflow as late comes from the Coli and Familiars.

Personally I'd like to see some games that are a bit simpler, to accommodate those with low-end computers- I've a netbook that's only so capable of handling the Coli, and wouldn't mind an FR-based solitaire/freecell/card game (RoA doesn't count) if they can manage it. I can't program; I don't know how hard that'd be. I'm mostly thinking back to Neopets of 10+ years ago, and the games they had around that time.

Still- people who have lower-end computers are going to suffer on any website, not just FR. As technology progresses further and further games will be designed to match that newer technology, leaving older processors behind as things continually move on.

That's not FR or bad design. That's the world we live in. It sucks, I'm fully agreeing with you there- but there's a time with any system where they stop offering back-compatibility. See; Windows finally stopping XP support.

I want Adventure and Crafitng as much as you do. I'm bemused it's taking so long to make, and wondering if it's actually going to be made at all at this point. But I'm not letting that take away my enjoyment of other features of the site.

And if I get bored? Hey, I've got other things to do. Can't waste my time on here forever. :)
2eq780z.png
art by Somaticsilence
A bit sad at how short the gem items are cycling back in for, but huzzah for those new pants and shirts. And here I was saving for an expansion... That's okay, who needs space?
-Proceeds to roaming the marketplace-
A bit sad at how short the gem items are cycling back in for, but huzzah for those new pants and shirts. And here I was saving for an expansion... That's okay, who needs space?
-Proceeds to roaming the marketplace-
Gift_zps989aaf8e.png
AAAAAHHHHH BAR AND DAUB
AFTER ALL THIS TIME
AAAAAHHHHH BAR AND DAUB
AFTER ALL THIS TIME
LIGHTWEAVER_sig.png
Good job on bar and dub, though personally they are not my favorite. Its just hard to find the right color combo for them and only tert that looks really good with them is underbelly. That is all personal preference they are still very nice. Love the pirate gear will so be stalking for them.

Also side hurray saw bar stock at 26 will be nice for those that are having a hard time usually getting them. Though that stack disappeared in a blink of an eye too.
Good job on bar and dub, though personally they are not my favorite. Its just hard to find the right color combo for them and only tert that looks really good with them is underbelly. That is all personal preference they are still very nice. Love the pirate gear will so be stalking for them.

Also side hurray saw bar stock at 26 will be nice for those that are having a hard time usually getting them. Though that stack disappeared in a blink of an eye too.
4Zlz1vc.pngrsz-lorwolf-button.png
I'm in love with the pirate stuff!!!
I'm in love with the pirate stuff!!!
S5A5nQt.png
"He he he... Crazy? Cicero?
He he he he! That's... madness..." ot3gL.gif
RyD5FgM.gif
Ok, now I wish I hadn't just spent all my treasure buying familiars I was missing from my Bestiary. A few of my dragons REALLY need Bar and/or Daub and I don't have enough to buy either right now. Time to start saving up again.
Ok, now I wish I hadn't just spent all my treasure buying familiars I was missing from my Bestiary. A few of my dragons REALLY need Bar and/or Daub and I don't have enough to buy either right now. Time to start saving up again.
Brown River Recluse Queen of the River Spider Army Grey River Jumper
OMG BAR/DAUB IS AWESOME!

And also PANTS!!!
OMG BAR/DAUB IS AWESOME!

And also PANTS!!!
Long Patrol and Hibden
for forum games, please.
QF3R6o0.png mFu1NtF.png
[/center]
Bar/daub would be great!

If they actually WORKED. :(
Bar/daub would be great!

If they actually WORKED. :(
YESSSSS This is so exciting! I absolutely love Bar. It looks great on every breed--especially snappers!
YESSSSS This is so exciting! I absolutely love Bar. It looks great on every breed--especially snappers!
c31cd73353e8e18a174efbb6ef9aa809.gif
1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 39 40