Back

Adoptables

Create, adopt, or show off your adoptables.
TOPIC | ~ Affiliates info for BonsaiPixels ~
1 2 3 4 5
Would be nice to get some feedback...maybe after I link back to the main thread.
Would be nice to get some feedback...maybe after I link back to the main thread.
qIcJ82H.pngEmI9Jgd.png2ZYu6OU.png0mjfpw6.pngPXqYGyl.png
@miirshroom I'd absolutely would love to join. The issue for me is that after my former laptop crashed I no longer have photoshop. What programme do you use and is it possible to work with a different programme that perhaps wouldn't cost as insanely much? Or are there other options?

On a different note, I think you have set this up very well. I was thinking for the longest time that perhaps it would be a good idea for you to get some people to help. There is just too much work piled up now haha! It's not even to get the orders out quicker, but more because it must be very stressful to juggle around real life and doing this.
@miirshroom I'd absolutely would love to join. The issue for me is that after my former laptop crashed I no longer have photoshop. What programme do you use and is it possible to work with a different programme that perhaps wouldn't cost as insanely much? Or are there other options?

On a different note, I think you have set this up very well. I was thinking for the longest time that perhaps it would be a good idea for you to get some people to help. There is just too much work piled up now haha! It's not even to get the orders out quicker, but more because it must be very stressful to juggle around real life and doing this.
QdaBiJf.png
@miirshroom *rubs hands together* Been wanting to try this for a while now. I'll try to have my submissions to you soon! I'll need to figure out some useful animations beforehand. Just a quick question, are there certain composition rules that should be followed? eg. When would you use the owls with feet vs the owls without? Also. In the psd file there're folders for creatures, trees etc but where do plants go? Are they also considered creatures? For now, here's my part 2. may edit later [b]Sample #1: 100px planter[/b] (coloring) [img]http://i.imgur.com/Ln2t3jY.png[/img] [b]Sample #2: 200px planter[/b] (animation showcase) [img]http://i.imgur.com/ZqU89Sb.gif[/img] [b]Sample #3: 150px pots[/b] [img]http://i.imgur.com/Cphvx3K.png[/img]
@miirshroom *rubs hands together* Been wanting to try this for a while now. I'll try to have my submissions to you soon! I'll need to figure out some useful animations beforehand. Just a quick question, are there certain composition rules that should be followed? eg. When would you use the owls with feet vs the owls without?

Also. In the psd file there're folders for creatures, trees etc but where do plants go? Are they also considered creatures?

For now, here's my part 2. may edit later

Sample #1: 100px planter (coloring)
Ln2t3jY.png
Sample #2: 200px planter (animation showcase)
ZqU89Sb.gif
Sample #3: 150px pots
Cphvx3K.png
cCkZ0A5.pngH8PMPsK.gifcCkZ0A5.png

@miirshroom I'd be totally down for this but where the heck do I download the trees and stuff? I managed to get the 3 supplied pots but apart from that? .o.

and is it possible to use in gimp? photoshop is daunting to me... I suppose I could learn to use it but if another option is available...
@miirshroom I'd be totally down for this but where the heck do I download the trees and stuff? I managed to get the 3 supplied pots but apart from that? .o.

and is it possible to use in gimp? photoshop is daunting to me... I suppose I could learn to use it but if another option is available...
Seeking Old Dragons! Forever collecting October 1st 2013 dragons. Previously BeingOfNature
anim_86a53b49-f48f-6cb4-b922-5902a73d3a36.gif
Old Art Thread
3DS FC: 0259-0316-2794 Pokemon Y
@BeingOfNature For your first question I think you just save the png sheets and crop out the things you want for each planter.
@BeingOfNature For your first question I think you just save the png sheets and crop out the things you want for each planter.
cCkZ0A5.pngH8PMPsK.gifcCkZ0A5.png

@Kuroida !!! Oh my thank you so much!! That's really helpful! I'll have to have another play around with it tomorrow, see if I can get some planters cobbled together. Maybe even an animation?
@Kuroida !!! Oh my thank you so much!! That's really helpful! I'll have to have another play around with it tomorrow, see if I can get some planters cobbled together. Maybe even an animation?
Seeking Old Dragons! Forever collecting October 1st 2013 dragons. Previously BeingOfNature
anim_86a53b49-f48f-6cb4-b922-5902a73d3a36.gif
Old Art Thread
3DS FC: 0259-0316-2794 Pokemon Y
@RogueHazel I do use Photoshop (actually bought a copy just before they started doing subscription service). Unfortunately, this means that I don't have much idea of what alternate programs would work, and ultimately I have been assuming that most applicants already have access to their preferred software and experience using it.

I did take a quick look at GIMP, and I think that it's possible to use as an alternative. Aside from learning the differences in the move/transform/colour tools, the main issue is that the way I've set up the sprite sheets to work in Photoshop currently relies on a process of 1) use the lasso tool to single out the item needed, and then 2) click on the item and drag it to the file with the planter/pots. In GIMP it's more a process of 1) select with the lasso tool, 2) copy the selected region and paste to a new layer, and 3) click on the new layer in the "layer" panel and drag that to the planter/pots file. Can be downloaded directly from GIMP.org (beware of untrusted 3rd party download sites).

@Kuroida there aren't especially any rules, except that I tend to use the feet when the owls are standing on the ground or a bare branch, and no-feet for sitting in foliage. It's one of those things where I started with feet but found myself editing them out often enough that I just made a separate 2nd image.

@BeingOfNature Yep, basically as Kuroida said. As I described above, everything can be done in GIMP and all of the sprite sheet files could probably be optimized for GIMP (perhaps if each image had its own layer). The way that I currently have the sprite sheets set up as flat .png files is just what I found best for my workflow in Photoshop.
@RogueHazel I do use Photoshop (actually bought a copy just before they started doing subscription service). Unfortunately, this means that I don't have much idea of what alternate programs would work, and ultimately I have been assuming that most applicants already have access to their preferred software and experience using it.

I did take a quick look at GIMP, and I think that it's possible to use as an alternative. Aside from learning the differences in the move/transform/colour tools, the main issue is that the way I've set up the sprite sheets to work in Photoshop currently relies on a process of 1) use the lasso tool to single out the item needed, and then 2) click on the item and drag it to the file with the planter/pots. In GIMP it's more a process of 1) select with the lasso tool, 2) copy the selected region and paste to a new layer, and 3) click on the new layer in the "layer" panel and drag that to the planter/pots file. Can be downloaded directly from GIMP.org (beware of untrusted 3rd party download sites).

@Kuroida there aren't especially any rules, except that I tend to use the feet when the owls are standing on the ground or a bare branch, and no-feet for sitting in foliage. It's one of those things where I started with feet but found myself editing them out often enough that I just made a separate 2nd image.

@BeingOfNature Yep, basically as Kuroida said. As I described above, everything can be done in GIMP and all of the sprite sheet files could probably be optimized for GIMP (perhaps if each image had its own layer). The way that I currently have the sprite sheets set up as flat .png files is just what I found best for my workflow in Photoshop.
qIcJ82H.pngEmI9Jgd.png2ZYu6OU.png0mjfpw6.pngPXqYGyl.png
@RogueHazel

to help you out a smidge, I use Medibang Paint Pro. it's really similar to photoshop and can open .psd documents. i think it's similar to Gimp where you have to move things a bit awkwardly, but you can copy and paste items easily. it's free, too!
@RogueHazel

to help you out a smidge, I use Medibang Paint Pro. it's really similar to photoshop and can open .psd documents. i think it's similar to Gimp where you have to move things a bit awkwardly, but you can copy and paste items easily. it's free, too!
QgoWm3b.png cat
she/her
fr +3
art shop
hatchery
sleeping coatl
@miirshroom Alrighty! Here's my part two! I'm really excited about this. Also, as a quick suggestion for image hosting services. DeviantArt's Stash function is what I usually use for hosting my finished commissions and headshot adopts. It stores images forever and makes them easy to retrieve. You can also sort things into folders and link people to the entire folder, and give each image a title so the user can easily find which one is theirs. Also, program wise. Although a little unconventional, for making these planters, I use Sketchbook Pro. Sketchbook Pro can get the job done but it doesn't display pixels very well and makes them look fuzzy until you save your finished product. Unless you're really familiar with Sketchbook Pro anyway, GIMP gets a high seal of approval from me. [center] [b]Sample #1: 100px planter[/b] [i]It's a cool morning and the Squall Seeker who has taken a liking to your planter is cawing as he shakes off the dew drops that collected on his feathers.[/i] [img]http://i.imgur.com/LTie9av.png[/img] [b]Sample #2: 200px planter[/b] (Simple Animation Showcase) [i]Spring has finally arrived. With the warm, gentle breezes of the season, your bonsai tree has begun to unfurl its buds into bright green leaves. Snap dragons reach for the sunlight and some beetles buzz quietly as they awaken from winter's sleep.[/i] [img]http://i.imgur.com/allc4kR.gif[/img] [b]Sample #3: 150px pots[/b] (Color/Hue Shift Showcase) [i]Blooming Potash Peach Trees are like nothing you've ever seen before. The flowers are so vibrant and smell so sweet that it's hard to walk away from. Obviously, you aren't the only one who enjoys it, as some Fallout Whispers have gathered around the peach's plumage. The Omen Seeker watches them carefully, deciding they may not be the best breakfast.[/i] [img]http://i.imgur.com/Dz1cKdC.png[/img] [left] [b]Updates:[/b] (Mostly for my own reference) - Added some little writings to the planters. - Changed the last example to a color shift showcase. Made the over-all colors of all the flora and fauna more of a purple and pink color palette by adjusting each piece separately. - Added a slight pink hue to the Omen Seeker so he would have a little less of a stark contrast. - Changed a few small things with the animation on example 2. - Made sure all three frames had a consistent y-axis and only one-two pixels of change between frames for smoothness. - Made sure no floating pixels or strange angles remained - Final check to make sure I was satisfied with the look of the planters~
@miirshroom

Alrighty! Here's my part two! I'm really excited about this.

Also, as a quick suggestion for image hosting services. DeviantArt's Stash function is what I usually use for hosting my finished commissions and headshot adopts. It stores images forever and makes them easy to retrieve. You can also sort things into folders and link people to the entire folder, and give each image a title so the user can easily find which one is theirs.

Also, program wise. Although a little unconventional, for making these planters, I use Sketchbook Pro. Sketchbook Pro can get the job done but it doesn't display pixels very well and makes them look fuzzy until you save your finished product. Unless you're really familiar with Sketchbook Pro anyway, GIMP gets a high seal of approval from me.

Sample #1: 100px planter
It's a cool morning and the Squall Seeker who has taken a liking to your planter is cawing as he shakes off the dew drops that collected on his feathers.
LTie9av.png

Sample #2: 200px planter (Simple Animation Showcase)
Spring has finally arrived. With the warm, gentle breezes of the season, your bonsai tree has begun to unfurl its buds into bright green leaves. Snap dragons reach for the sunlight and some beetles buzz quietly as they awaken from winter's sleep.
allc4kR.gif

Sample #3: 150px pots (Color/Hue Shift Showcase)
Blooming Potash Peach Trees are like nothing you've ever seen before. The flowers are so vibrant and smell so sweet that it's hard to walk away from. Obviously, you aren't the only one who enjoys it, as some Fallout Whispers have gathered around the peach's plumage. The Omen Seeker watches them carefully, deciding they may not be the best breakfast.
Dz1cKdC.png

Updates: (Mostly for my own reference)
- Added some little writings to the planters.
- Changed the last example to a color shift showcase. Made the over-all colors of all the flora and fauna more of a purple and pink color palette by adjusting each piece separately.
- Added a slight pink hue to the Omen Seeker so he would have a little less of a stark contrast.
- Changed a few small things with the animation on example 2.
- Made sure all three frames had a consistent y-axis and only one-two pixels of change between frames for smoothness.
- Made sure no floating pixels or strange angles remained
- Final check to make sure I was satisfied with the look of the planters~
10545843_qa4oy8AnldwZ5JQ.png
@miirshroom I used photobucket this round. I didn't use any animation, but I have one paragraph-length story and description for each bonsai, as I hope that can be part of what might make my possible shop unique. [center][b]Sample #1 - 100 px[/b] [i]Autumn has fallen around your planter, as evidenced by the beautiful orange and red leaves your maple has been displaying recently. Ivy has taken root in the base of the planter, and the cooler weather has been attracting more fauna than usual. A beetle seems to have taken a liking to the mushrooms growing beneath your maple. Maybe it's storing for the coming winter. A passing crow watches the beetle's quiet munching with a hungry glint in its eye - perhaps it's examining it's next meal?[/i] [img]http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y367/catalyst1/free%20planter%20100x_zpsxutciqta.png?t=1466136100.png[/img] [b]Sample #2 - 200 px[/b] [i]Spring has finally sprung in this pale planter as the potash peach begins to blossom beautifully. The milkweed planted last season has bloomed as well, attracting a myriad of moths to hover around the bonsai, providing a lovely splash of jewel-toned color. A Sakura Owl has also taken a liking to the planter, though it's unclear whether he's here for the moths or to simply admire the scenery.[/i] [img]http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y367/catalyst1/free%20planter%20200x_zpslgjvk463.png?t=1466136100.png[/img] [b]Sample #3 - 150 px[/b] [i]A small orange frog has taken a liking to your planter. She blends in quite nicely with the orange mushrooms that grow below your hemlock. Ivy has taken root as well, providing shelter and the possibility for more visitors. A hedgehog peers out from the thresh growing in a seperate pot, appreciative of the cover the flowering plant provides. [/i] [img]http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y367/catalyst1/free%20planter%20150x_zpsr8kr7y5p.png[/img] [/center]
@miirshroom

I used photobucket this round. I didn't use any animation, but I have one paragraph-length story and description for each bonsai, as I hope that can be part of what might make my possible shop unique.

Sample #1 - 100 px

Autumn has fallen around your planter, as evidenced by the beautiful orange and red leaves your maple has been displaying recently. Ivy has taken root in the base of the planter, and the cooler weather has been attracting more fauna than usual. A beetle seems to have taken a liking to the mushrooms growing beneath your maple. Maybe it's storing for the coming winter. A passing crow watches the beetle's quiet munching with a hungry glint in its eye - perhaps it's examining it's next meal?

free%20planter%20100x_zpsxutciqta.png?t=1466136100.png

Sample #2 - 200 px

Spring has finally sprung in this pale planter as the potash peach begins to blossom beautifully. The milkweed planted last season has bloomed as well, attracting a myriad of moths to hover around the bonsai, providing a lovely splash of jewel-toned color. A Sakura Owl has also taken a liking to the planter, though it's unclear whether he's here for the moths or to simply admire the scenery.

free%20planter%20200x_zpslgjvk463.png?t=1466136100.png

Sample #3 - 150 px

A small orange frog has taken a liking to your planter. She blends in quite nicely with the orange mushrooms that grow below your hemlock. Ivy has taken root as well, providing shelter and the possibility for more visitors. A hedgehog peers out from the thresh growing in a seperate pot, appreciative of the cover the flowering plant provides.

free%20planter%20150x_zpsr8kr7y5p.png

QgoWm3b.png cat
she/her
fr +3
art shop
hatchery
sleeping coatl
1 2 3 4 5