Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Let Users Delete Accounts
1 2 3 4 5
90% of websites ever created allow you to do so. There is no good reason not allow this. Why it's a good idea: -erasing an internet trail can sometimes be necessary to escape abuse -you would never get another 'do something with abandoned accounts' forum -some times there's just no better way to get rid of a source of distraction than to remove it from your life entirely -because people online should have a right to. and it's kinda shady not to let them -Players can get a fresh start, if they so choose, without becoming a multi-account offenders Account Deletion should include -all dragons exalted -all forum posts disappear -their username removed from records and free to be used again As of right now I play Flight Rising without friends or family knowing what my account is because I don't feel comfortable being linked to a location I can't leave. Deleting an account should be the right of every owner of an online account. [u]Addendum[/u]: [quote name = "greyjoy"] I support an account deletion option, but only if it's two-step. First the account is deleted. This means it's put in a sort of six month stasis. An email is sent out to the account owner to inform them of this choice (so that, should somebody else have gotten into their account it can be reversed). In three months, an automated reminder should be sent. Then a week from the deletion date, then three days for a final warning. During the 'deleted' period it can be undeleted by logging into it. This can be done at any time within the six month period and nothing will be lost. However, while the account has the 'deleted' status it cannot be used for anything. You can't view dragons, items or any part of the site and cannot participate in the forums under that name, nor view your flight forum. Other forums, since they can be viewed logged out, can obviously be looked at. After that, the account is purged. I think when it comes to deletion it's important that warnings are given and an ample amount of time is allowed to pass between pressing the button and the account actually being deleted, just in case the owner changes their mind, or in case it wasn't them who tried to delete it. As for banned accounts, I think they should be deleted automatically after the appeal period has elapsed. Maybe the usernames can become available after a year or so, so that people wanting that username aren't affected by anything associated with the original, banned owner of it. [/quote]
90% of websites ever created allow you to do so. There is no good reason not allow this.

Why it's a good idea:
-erasing an internet trail can sometimes be necessary to escape abuse
-you would never get another 'do something with abandoned accounts' forum
-some times there's just no better way to get rid of a source of distraction than to remove it from your life entirely
-because people online should have a right to. and it's kinda shady not to let them
-Players can get a fresh start, if they so choose, without becoming a multi-account offenders

Account Deletion should include
-all dragons exalted
-all forum posts disappear
-their username removed from records and free to be used again

As of right now I play Flight Rising without friends or family knowing what my account is because I don't feel comfortable being linked to a location I can't leave. Deleting an account should be the right of every owner of an online account.

Addendum:
greyjoy wrote:

I support an account deletion option, but only if it's two-step.

First the account is deleted.

This means it's put in a sort of six month stasis. An email is sent out to the account owner to inform them of this choice (so that, should somebody else have gotten into their account it can be reversed). In three months, an automated reminder should be sent. Then a week from the deletion date, then three days for a final warning.

During the 'deleted' period it can be undeleted by logging into it. This can be done at any time within the six month period and nothing will be lost. However, while the account has the 'deleted' status it cannot be used for anything. You can't view dragons, items or any part of the site and cannot participate in the forums under that name, nor view your flight forum. Other forums, since they can be viewed logged out, can obviously be looked at.

After that, the account is purged.

I think when it comes to deletion it's important that warnings are given and an ample amount of time is allowed to pass between pressing the button and the account actually being deleted, just in case the owner changes their mind, or in case it wasn't them who tried to delete it.

As for banned accounts, I think they should be deleted automatically after the appeal period has elapsed. Maybe the usernames can become available after a year or so, so that people wanting that username aren't affected by anything associated with the original, banned owner of it.
Support

As usual no support for allowing active players to acquire items from deleted accounts. You'd see a lot of vultures pressuring people who are leaving the site to delete fully, and you'd see the occasional scammer trick people into deleting their own account in order to get their stuff. If the deleter wanted other people to have his stuff, he'd give it to them. Also, I agree that all dragons on the account should be exalted, but these exalts should not count towards Dom.

On a previous thread, there was some debate about whether making an account undeletable is even legal in the EU anymore, but I'm not from the EU so I can't say.
Support

As usual no support for allowing active players to acquire items from deleted accounts. You'd see a lot of vultures pressuring people who are leaving the site to delete fully, and you'd see the occasional scammer trick people into deleting their own account in order to get their stuff. If the deleter wanted other people to have his stuff, he'd give it to them. Also, I agree that all dragons on the account should be exalted, but these exalts should not count towards Dom.

On a previous thread, there was some debate about whether making an account undeletable is even legal in the EU anymore, but I'm not from the EU so I can't say.
It takes Twelve Years for one Imperial pair to produce a Primal-eyed offspring of a specific sex. Goal-based breeding is dead.
I don't agree with their stuff being sold. I think, if they're going to delete their account with stuff on it, it all needs to be deleted, rare or not.

Account deletion should be an option, not because of anything serious (because your personal hang-ups and any issues in your life shouldn't come into it), but just because it would be good to be able to delete it if you want. I mean. Why not? Sure, so the admins like 'people to be able to return if they want to' but we should have the option to not return, and then come back new without multi-accounting later on if we want to.

I wouldn't want to do it, but people rocking up, making an account, going 'meh' and then going away should be able to re-make if they want to.

As such, I support an account deletion option, but only if it's two-step.

This means it's put in a sort of six month stasis. An email is sent out to the account owner to inform them of this choice (so that, should somebody else have gotten into their account it can be reversed). In three months, an automated reminder should be sent. Then a week from the deletion date, then three days for a final warning.

During the 'deleted' period it can be undeleted by logging into it. This can be done at any time within the six month period and nothing will be lost. However, while the account has the 'deleted' status it cannot be used for anything. You can't view dragons, items or any part of the site and cannot participate in the forums under that name, nor view your flight forum. Other forums, since they can be viewed logged out, can obviously be looked at.

This means it, and all of its contents (money, items, familiars, apparel, gems, etc) are deleted and all dragons are automatically exalted.

I think when it comes to deletion it's important that warnings are given and an ample amount of time is allowed to pass between pressing the button and the account actually being deleted, just in case the owner changes their mind, or in case it wasn't them who tried to delete it.

As for banned accounts, I think they should be deleted automatically after the appeal period has elapsed. I'm not sure about the names of deleted accounts, though. Maybe they can become available after a year or so, so that people wanting that username aren't affected by anything associated with the original, banned owner of it.
I don't agree with their stuff being sold. I think, if they're going to delete their account with stuff on it, it all needs to be deleted, rare or not.

Account deletion should be an option, not because of anything serious (because your personal hang-ups and any issues in your life shouldn't come into it), but just because it would be good to be able to delete it if you want. I mean. Why not? Sure, so the admins like 'people to be able to return if they want to' but we should have the option to not return, and then come back new without multi-accounting later on if we want to.

I wouldn't want to do it, but people rocking up, making an account, going 'meh' and then going away should be able to re-make if they want to.

As such, I support an account deletion option, but only if it's two-step.

This means it, and all of its contents (money, items, familiars, apparel, gems, etc) are deleted and all dragons are automatically exalted.

As for banned accounts, I think they should be deleted automatically after the appeal period has elapsed. I'm not sure about the names of deleted accounts, though. Maybe they can become available after a year or so, so that people wanting that username aren't affected by anything associated with the original, banned owner of it.
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
@Ridara

I hadn't even thought of vultures/scammers. I'll remove that optional clause completely.
@Ridara

I hadn't even thought of vultures/scammers. I'll remove that optional clause completely.
@Greyjoy

I really like that two step idea, even tho I don't think it's necessary. A lot of websites don't have that. If it were to be two step, maybe the stasis period shouldn't be so long? I would suggest a month, three at most.

Can I add a paraphrase some of your additions into the original post? I'll credit you with the quote.
@Greyjoy

I really like that two step idea, even tho I don't think it's necessary. A lot of websites don't have that. If it were to be two step, maybe the stasis period shouldn't be so long? I would suggest a month, three at most.

Can I add a paraphrase some of your additions into the original post? I'll credit you with the quote.
@SapphicDiamonds

Certainly!

I based the two-step process on the one used (or that used to be used, I don't know any more) by Livejournal, on account of the two sites having the option to spend real money on the site. Three should be the minimum, really.

The lengthy period allowed people who don't use the main email for it, or don't check it often, or whatever, to be alerted to it within good time. There'd be no excuses if somebody said "Somebody else deleted my account and I didn't get the email in time!" and tried to blame the admins for the deletion.

Six months is ample time to check a secondary or tertiary email account you seldom use.

Besides, the account is essentially deleted when it's in stasis anyway. The profile could just be a white page that says "This account has been deleted" on it, without access to anything. It wouldn't appear in searches, wouldn't appear on friends lists and would be difficult to access. When clicked to via a forum post, it would just direct the curious clicker to the 'deleted' profile page. A deleted account, before purging, would be little more than a placeholder, honestly.

But that's just what I think, it's my personal views on it. Anyone else is welcome to differ in their views! c:

@SapphicDiamonds

Certainly!

I based the two-step process on the one used (or that used to be used, I don't know any more) by Livejournal, on account of the two sites having the option to spend real money on the site. Three should be the minimum, really.

The lengthy period allowed people who don't use the main email for it, or don't check it often, or whatever, to be alerted to it within good time. There'd be no excuses if somebody said "Somebody else deleted my account and I didn't get the email in time!" and tried to blame the admins for the deletion.

Six months is ample time to check a secondary or tertiary email account you seldom use.

Besides, the account is essentially deleted when it's in stasis anyway. The profile could just be a white page that says "This account has been deleted" on it, without access to anything. It wouldn't appear in searches, wouldn't appear on friends lists and would be difficult to access. When clicked to via a forum post, it would just direct the curious clicker to the 'deleted' profile page. A deleted account, before purging, would be little more than a placeholder, honestly.

But that's just what I think, it's my personal views on it. Anyone else is welcome to differ in their views! c:

byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
The two-step method sounds best to me!

That way, we can avoid both the "Someone else deleted my account" problem and the "I impulsively deleted my account but now I want it back" problem. I like the idea of it working like a sort of "grace period" where the user can restore their account before it's permanently erased. Wouldn't appear in the search system or anything, but the info is still there if they still want it.

It does strike me as unusual that FR has no way to deactivate or delete one's account, since a lot of other sites offer one or both of those options.
The two-step method sounds best to me!

That way, we can avoid both the "Someone else deleted my account" problem and the "I impulsively deleted my account but now I want it back" problem. I like the idea of it working like a sort of "grace period" where the user can restore their account before it's permanently erased. Wouldn't appear in the search system or anything, but the info is still there if they still want it.

It does strike me as unusual that FR has no way to deactivate or delete one's account, since a lot of other sites offer one or both of those options.
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
@Ningyo
I like that idea, kinda like how on Quotev you have 2 weeks before the account is permanently deleted, that way you have a good bit of time to really decide it you want this.

I also think being able to delete accounts would help the site itself as it can get rid of the old account's information, meaning the site can run a bit more smoothly. Personally, I think they should have done this before opening the site for registration permanently.
@Ningyo
I like that idea, kinda like how on Quotev you have 2 weeks before the account is permanently deleted, that way you have a good bit of time to really decide it you want this.

I also think being able to delete accounts would help the site itself as it can get rid of the old account's information, meaning the site can run a bit more smoothly. Personally, I think they should have done this before opening the site for registration permanently.
U58SZuw.png
Support. It's rare but I've seen a lot of offsite harassment directed at users on FR. This would allow them to start over and play the game without being found.
Support. It's rare but I've seen a lot of offsite harassment directed at users on FR. This would allow them to start over and play the game without being found.
bEY99am.gif
All the stars seem so far gone
~He/him
~FR+3

Replace by the fading of the dawn
Support! The two-step process is one I think is fair- I like 6 months myself because that'd be ample time if someone was say, working for a prolonged period of time without internet access (some jobs may cause people to be without any connection for an entire summer, for example, so 6 months sounds fair to me). That way if someone attempted to maliciously delete their account in this scenario, they'd still have time to notice the email and undo it.
Support! The two-step process is one I think is fair- I like 6 months myself because that'd be ample time if someone was say, working for a prolonged period of time without internet access (some jobs may cause people to be without any connection for an entire summer, for example, so 6 months sounds fair to me). That way if someone attempted to maliciously delete their account in this scenario, they'd still have time to notice the email and undo it.
JNq0Ryb.pngtumblr_p6m92rH3MJ1w8xkufo5_250.png
1 2 3 4 5