Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | gender change scroll
1 2
I think it'd be really cool to have a gender change scroll, because I can think of many dragons in my lair that I wish were male/female or viceversa. This would affect the current gender balance, but I'm not entirely sure how that works. Thoughts?
I think it'd be really cool to have a gender change scroll, because I can think of many dragons in my lair that I wish were male/female or viceversa. This would affect the current gender balance, but I'm not entirely sure how that works. Thoughts?
Unless your dragons are Generation 1 Imperials or Generation 1 Triples, the cost of the scroll would be more expensive than buying a dragon of the opposite sex.

Unless your dragons are Generation 1 Imperials or Generation 1 Triples, the cost of the scroll would be more expensive than buying a dragon of the opposite sex.

No support. This is a breeding game, and gender is one of the few things that limits how many dragons are available/can be born, and is one of the few things that can add a challenge into a breeding quest.
A gender change scroll would mess everything up altogether (both coding-wise and gameplay-wise) so... no.

If you want a dragon with the same colors, but with the opposite gender, breed for it. Find a dragon with similar colors, and breed yours and the new one together until you get one with the right colors and opposite gender.
No support. This is a breeding game, and gender is one of the few things that limits how many dragons are available/can be born, and is one of the few things that can add a challenge into a breeding quest.
A gender change scroll would mess everything up altogether (both coding-wise and gameplay-wise) so... no.

If you want a dragon with the same colors, but with the opposite gender, breed for it. Find a dragon with similar colors, and breed yours and the new one together until you get one with the right colors and opposite gender.
giphy.gifp74ovv7.gifmFaXmCJ.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

G1 sales

p74ovv7.gif

art shop banner
KkcUijP.png
old wc adopt gif
giphy.gif

Lewis link and G1 sales
goVYTQR.pngRsZjiBd.png

ghost hatchlings
TwEcIUG.png[/url] Ae0MsB2.png

Wishlist

B3w2s5h.jpg

Pixel Pearls

giphy.gif

SCP hatchery
1g9awbL.png
Click for Don't Starve/FR commissions! [TEMP CLOSED] (Casual collector of 6 digit dergs!)
vWYFQtR.png

wHRV9DG.jpg[/indent]
No I still don't support a true gender change scroll for both game mechanical reasons and for taking-the-challenge-out-of-the-game reasons.

I would support a pose change scroll though :)
No I still don't support a true gender change scroll for both game mechanical reasons and for taking-the-challenge-out-of-the-game reasons.

I would support a pose change scroll though :)
XriSV9h.gif
No support, a Scroll like this would be rather game breaking.

Plus the admins have said that they plan to never make a scroll like this.
No support, a Scroll like this would be rather game breaking.

Plus the admins have said that they plan to never make a scroll like this.
ampharos.png 20 | any pronouns | about me | accents |
merp, idk how i feel about this
merp, idk how i feel about this
Puppet Master Anti
she/her/hers|FRT +3|Link to Art shop
This is a rather divided topic within the suggestion forum. I personally do not want to see a sex change scroll that would allow you to change the sex and then be able to breed according to the newly assigned sex (IE You have two males, you change one of them to a female and then you would be able to breed the male to the female). I'd rather not see this for a couple of reasons:

First of all, it could probably involve having to recode a fair amount of the breeding/display system which I think could be better spent adding new features rather than recoding a system that works perfectly fine the way it is. The reason I say it could involve a fair amount of recoding is depending on how the lineage is stored in the database the system could have a fit over trying to figure out how to display the parents when one of them has been sex changed so they are now the same sex since there is no longer a male and a female parent to display first and second.

The second reason I don't like this is because it would remove some of the challenge involved in breeding since sex is the only thing you can't change and something should remain static. You can change color by using a scatter scroll and you can ensure the hatchlings are of a particular element by breeding it in the appropriate nest

I'd personally prefer to see a cosmetic change (changes the image to the opposite sex, so your male dragon displays a female dragon image, but he is still a male dragon so he still can only breed with females so the breeding pool for him doesn't change). Alternatively if there wouldn't be a coding issue like mentioned above (or there were additional restrictions like must never have been bred to avoid the entire potential coding issue) and it actually changes the sex then that individual becomes unbreedable.
This is a rather divided topic within the suggestion forum. I personally do not want to see a sex change scroll that would allow you to change the sex and then be able to breed according to the newly assigned sex (IE You have two males, you change one of them to a female and then you would be able to breed the male to the female). I'd rather not see this for a couple of reasons:

First of all, it could probably involve having to recode a fair amount of the breeding/display system which I think could be better spent adding new features rather than recoding a system that works perfectly fine the way it is. The reason I say it could involve a fair amount of recoding is depending on how the lineage is stored in the database the system could have a fit over trying to figure out how to display the parents when one of them has been sex changed so they are now the same sex since there is no longer a male and a female parent to display first and second.

The second reason I don't like this is because it would remove some of the challenge involved in breeding since sex is the only thing you can't change and something should remain static. You can change color by using a scatter scroll and you can ensure the hatchlings are of a particular element by breeding it in the appropriate nest

I'd personally prefer to see a cosmetic change (changes the image to the opposite sex, so your male dragon displays a female dragon image, but he is still a male dragon so he still can only breed with females so the breeding pool for him doesn't change). Alternatively if there wouldn't be a coding issue like mentioned above (or there were additional restrictions like must never have been bred to avoid the entire potential coding issue) and it actually changes the sex then that individual becomes unbreedable.
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
sex change. Not gender change, if you want to change a dragons gender use the bio box.

Shinyumbreon pretty much explained how I feel about this subject. A popular suggestion is to swap a dragons artwork with a pose change scroll, not game breaking unlike the sex change scroll.
sex change. Not gender change, if you want to change a dragons gender use the bio box.

Shinyumbreon pretty much explained how I feel about this subject. A popular suggestion is to swap a dragons artwork with a pose change scroll, not game breaking unlike the sex change scroll.
No support. Sex-changing a dragon could make coding break when it comes to lineages. Plus they have said that it's likely not to be implemented.

And it also takes the challenge out of breeding. Getting the wrong sex out of a breeding is supposed to be one of the difficulties, and is the only one you cannot control, since you can send dragons to another lair for eye colour changes. Risky, but possible.

I'd rather have pose flip and pose change scrolls, because I dislike how I cannot get some mates to face each other. Though I'd prefer the image flip since it won't affect accents/skins and some breeds have the sex-dimorphism going.
No support. Sex-changing a dragon could make coding break when it comes to lineages. Plus they have said that it's likely not to be implemented.

And it also takes the challenge out of breeding. Getting the wrong sex out of a breeding is supposed to be one of the difficulties, and is the only one you cannot control, since you can send dragons to another lair for eye colour changes. Risky, but possible.

I'd rather have pose flip and pose change scrolls, because I dislike how I cannot get some mates to face each other. Though I'd prefer the image flip since it won't affect accents/skins and some breeds have the sex-dimorphism going.
55871_s.gif
PDuDspB.png
JvUa9ma.png
FObX7rS.png
mjtJ868.png
tyEuRXe.png
I would say yes to sex/gender change scrolls but with one big condition, that the dragons ready for the change don't already have offspring. I think this would help kill a lot of problems people have with this idea right off. Also, make the scrolls very expensive, like 500k to 1mil each. That will slow down a lot of people from using them willy-nilly. I'm for this because I've recently been noticing in the AH either a surplus of male dragons or females, but an odd lack of balance. I even had three weeks of nests where the vast majority were males with either no females or only one here and there. Having a scroll that would allow me to change gender would really help some of my breeding projects.
I would say yes to sex/gender change scrolls but with one big condition, that the dragons ready for the change don't already have offspring. I think this would help kill a lot of problems people have with this idea right off. Also, make the scrolls very expensive, like 500k to 1mil each. That will slow down a lot of people from using them willy-nilly. I'm for this because I've recently been noticing in the AH either a surplus of male dragons or females, but an odd lack of balance. I even had three weeks of nests where the vast majority were males with either no females or only one here and there. Having a scroll that would allow me to change gender would really help some of my breeding projects.
1 2