Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Gender change
1 2 3 4
I don't know if this is a thing or not but I think It would be use full to have a gender change scroll or something to change the gender of one of your dragons..
I don't know if this is a thing or not but I think It would be use full to have a gender change scroll or something to change the gender of one of your dragons..

28588696_350.png
No. Game-breaker. Essays written on why not.
No. Game-breaker. Essays written on why not.
(Please don't ping me in the Suggestions Forum).
You can determine or change the gender of a dragon in its bio through writing lore. Lore's where these kind of things really shine if you have creativity.
You can determine or change the gender of a dragon in its bio through writing lore. Lore's where these kind of things really shine if you have creativity.
Adroit here is male! He's just crossdressing. Bios is an insta-genderchange! [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=20646616] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/206467/20646616_350.png[/img] [/url] EDIT: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=10438&tab=dragon&did=10721871]Another male dragon that looks like a female[/url] So no support from me, simply because it is not needed. I would, however, support a pose change scroll if it did not alter the sex of the dragon.
Adroit here is male! He's just crossdressing. Bios is an insta-genderchange!

20646616_350.png

EDIT: Another male dragon that looks like a female

So no support from me, simply because it is not needed. I would, however, support a pose change scroll if it did not alter the sex of the dragon.
66MHIIb.png
I don't think I would use this for lore, but it would come in handy for breeding projects.
I don't think I would use this for lore, but it would come in handy for breeding projects.
BhWDcLm.png
[quote name="Typhoom" date=2016-12-03 08:44:03] I don't think I would use this for lore, but it would come in handy for breeding projects. [/quote] This is a lot of the reason why it will probably never happen. It will make breeding projects way to easy. There are actually very few challenges to breeding projects now. Basically you need dragons of the right colors, which can be fairly easy to come by and dragons of the right sex in those colors, which are harder to come by, who are not related. By removing one of those requirements, it is cutting the difficulty in finding the right dragons for breeding projects by 1/3. While it can be difficult to find breeding pairs if you want specific color combos that aren't 'popular' colors, it can be fairly easy to breed for them. Or, just wait a month and chances are there will be dragons in colors at the very least close to what you want.
Typhoom wrote on 2016-12-03:

This is a lot of the reason why it will probably never happen. It will make breeding projects way to easy.

There are actually very few challenges to breeding projects now. Basically you need dragons of the right colors, which can be fairly easy to come by and dragons of the right sex in those colors, which are harder to come by, who are not related. By removing one of those requirements, it is cutting the difficulty in finding the right dragons for breeding projects by 1/3.

While it can be difficult to find breeding pairs if you want specific color combos that aren't 'popular' colors, it can be fairly easy to breed for them. Or, just wait a month and chances are there will be dragons in colors at the very least close to what you want.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
No support. It's, as stated already, gamebreaking.

The FR staff have already said that they do not plan on making a gender change scroll anytime in the future I believe.
No support. It's, as stated already, gamebreaking.

The FR staff have already said that they do not plan on making a gender change scroll anytime in the future I believe.
ampharos.png 20 | any pronouns | about me | accents |
@bioluminosity i don't see how not having one is homophobic/transphobic. you can make a dragon whatever you want them to be in their bio, but having a sex change scroll in a breeding game would make it far too easy to breed goal dragons, even though it is supposed to be difficult.
there have been countless threads like this, and the cons far outweigh the pros. also, i'm not sure why you brought up the scrying workshop? you can scry both sexes for the sole reason of seeing how it looks, it doesn't mean it would be that easy to sex-change a dragon

i could however support a pose-change scroll, as long as it was made obvious that it was pose changed and would be non-tradeable.
@bioluminosity i don't see how not having one is homophobic/transphobic. you can make a dragon whatever you want them to be in their bio, but having a sex change scroll in a breeding game would make it far too easy to breed goal dragons, even though it is supposed to be difficult.
there have been countless threads like this, and the cons far outweigh the pros. also, i'm not sure why you brought up the scrying workshop? you can scry both sexes for the sole reason of seeing how it looks, it doesn't mean it would be that easy to sex-change a dragon

i could however support a pose-change scroll, as long as it was made obvious that it was pose changed and would be non-tradeable.
giphy.gifp74ovv7.gifmFaXmCJ.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

G1 sales

p74ovv7.gif

art shop banner
KkcUijP.png
old wc adopt gif
giphy.gif

Lewis link and G1 sales
goVYTQR.pngRsZjiBd.png

ghost hatchlings
TwEcIUG.png[/url] Ae0MsB2.png

Wishlist

B3w2s5h.jpg

Pixel Pearls

giphy.gif

SCP hatchery
1g9awbL.png
Click for Don't Starve/FR commissions! [TEMP CLOSED] (Casual collector of 6 digit dergs!)
vWYFQtR.png

wHRV9DG.jpg[/indent]
[quote name="bioluminosity" date=2016-12-26 15:48:57] @Redskinette23 I'm not necessarily "at"ing you, but I want to say i agree with you. Everyone says it's a game-breaker but honestly I don't see why having lineages say a dragon has two male or female parents is a "game-breaker" (I don't want to meddle in the admin's business and I don't know much about coding so if there is a legitimate concern, well, so be it). [/quote] Since I believe that the bit about the 'game breaking' aspect of at least same sex breeding came from the Admins, I am pretty sure that it would be a legitimate concern. FR wasn't set up that way, and for something like this I believe, a site really needs to be set up that way to begin with. Most people have said they wouldn't have cared if the site had been set up with this in the beginning, but adding it in now wouldn't be a good idea. [quote] [s]Oh right, homophobioa and transphobia.[/s] [/quote] Not even going to touch that one. [quote] I concur it's useful for breeding projects and I also agree it would make those projects too easy. However, the lore set up for the universe of Flight Rising illustrates a magical post-apocalyptic environment. There shouldn't be boundaries like this. I already have dragons that don't go by the gender/sex of their pose. I also happen to like how they look, so I wouldn't necessarily employ a scroll on them. However, it would be a neat and relatively easy (sorry for overstepping, coders) addition to the site - no new artwork would be needed. [/quote] The problem is 'magic' is not and should not be a blanket excuse for everything that goes on. Magic, just like science and everything else, needs rules and needs to follow those rules. Otherwise it feels amateur. So, introducing a scroll and saying 'eh, magic' isn't enough, not once lore was established. Even the Bogsneaks have some lore to their backstory about how Baldwin took time to learn how it had happened to him. [quote] Obviously it wouldn't be useable on a dragon with a skin or accent on, just like the breed change scrolls. While I do enjoy actively searching the AH for the right sex of a dragon for a project (though not necessarily fan dragon), what if I like the colors of my dragons and I'm a little bored? (The same principle held with a scatterscroll spree I had a few weeks ago.) Furthermore - in the scrying workshop we can already scry both sexes. That's a thing. See it? Right there? [/quote] The dragons you scry in the workshop don't exist, even if you put in your dragon's id you aren't scrying YOUR dragon, you are scrying a clone of your dragon. Thus, you can do whatever you want to that dragon. I would say there are only a handful of dragons on site that are irreplaceable. Those are your progens. Gen1s come close, but since eggs are an infinite resource, even they can be recreated with enough time and investment. [quote] I've seen people say a pose change scroll would be better and I agree it would be interesting, but if anything muddles the identity of a dragon, it's that. While it's in the same ballpark, I see it as a blatant refusal (and possibly resentment) to accept an actual transformation of gender/sex. [/quote] Since I believe the person who suggested the pose change scroll suggested it for those reasons, and doesn't like a true sex change scroll because of the points brought up, I can't see it as a blatant refusal of anything except making a game that is already pretty darn easy, even easier. [quote] I think making it a Baldwin item would really tie up with the magical lore and aesthetic of the game. I mean look at the Bogsneaks! We can already change dragon breeds, genes, and (random) colors. I see why the colors are random as to make projects not too easy; however, a “random gender” scroll would be frustrating since the game only utilizes two sexes (I’d propose the idea of a scroll for another pose, but even the thought of the art required for that addition gives me chills). On the other hand, making it a gem marketplace item would bring in much-deserved revenue for the people working on this site behind the scenes. [/quote] Except that those aren't comparable. The way FR is set up, the only way to get new genes into the game is to use a scroll. Sure, FR [b]could[/b] change the way the entire game is setup to introduce them a different way, but this way works, so why change it? Breed changes are the easiest way to get new breeds onto existing dragons, and only a handful of breeds have a way to make a Gen1 without a scroll. So, again, it could be changed to make it so that all breeds hatch from various eggs, but the way it is done now, works. Color scrolls are a gamble, and truthfully, if they didn't already exist, I wouldn't really see the point of them (even though I scattered one of my dragons and she came out nice). However, again, they are random. As you pointed out, a random 'sex/gender' scroll wouldn't work. However, a Sex change scroll is not like any of those. There is no need to have a sex change (or gender change) scroll to add in new sexes because FR only needs two sexes, male and female. All other genders can, and often are, utilized through the bios of the various dragons. Randomizing it wouldn't work because there are only two, as you pointed out. I do agree that more revenue would be a good thing, but there are many far better ideas in the suggestions forum that could be added through the gem MP than this. This has too many downsides, not just coding issues, to really be something I think would be good for the site.
bioluminosity wrote on 2016-12-26:
@Redskinette23 I'm not necessarily "at"ing you, but I want to say i agree with you. Everyone says it's a game-breaker but honestly I don't see why having lineages say a dragon has two male or female parents is a "game-breaker" (I don't want to meddle in the admin's business and I don't know much about coding so if there is a legitimate concern, well, so be it).

Since I believe that the bit about the 'game breaking' aspect of at least same sex breeding came from the Admins, I am pretty sure that it would be a legitimate concern. FR wasn't set up that way, and for something like this I believe, a site really needs to be set up that way to begin with.

Most people have said they wouldn't have cared if the site had been set up with this in the beginning, but adding it in now wouldn't be a good idea.
Quote:
Oh right, homophobioa and transphobia.
Not even going to touch that one.
Quote:
I concur it's useful for breeding projects and I also agree it would make those projects too easy. However, the lore set up for the universe of Flight Rising illustrates a magical post-apocalyptic environment. There shouldn't be boundaries like this. I already have dragons that don't go by the gender/sex of their pose. I also happen to like how they look, so I wouldn't necessarily employ a scroll on them. However, it would be a neat and relatively easy (sorry for overstepping, coders) addition to the site - no new artwork would be needed.
The problem is 'magic' is not and should not be a blanket excuse for everything that goes on. Magic, just like science and everything else, needs rules and needs to follow those rules. Otherwise it feels amateur. So, introducing a scroll and saying 'eh, magic' isn't enough, not once lore was established. Even the Bogsneaks have some lore to their backstory about how Baldwin took time to learn how it had happened to him.
Quote:
Obviously it wouldn't be useable on a dragon with a skin or accent on, just like the breed change scrolls. While I do enjoy actively searching the AH for the right sex of a dragon for a project (though not necessarily fan dragon), what if I like the colors of my dragons and I'm a little bored? (The same principle held with a scatterscroll spree I had a few weeks ago.) Furthermore - in the scrying workshop we can already scry both sexes. That's a thing. See it? Right there?

The dragons you scry in the workshop don't exist, even if you put in your dragon's id you aren't scrying YOUR dragon, you are scrying a clone of your dragon. Thus, you can do whatever you want to that dragon.

I would say there are only a handful of dragons on site that are irreplaceable. Those are your progens. Gen1s come close, but since eggs are an infinite resource, even they can be recreated with enough time and investment.
Quote:
I've seen people say a pose change scroll would be better and I agree it would be interesting, but if anything muddles the identity of a dragon, it's that. While it's in the same ballpark, I see it as a blatant refusal (and possibly resentment) to accept an actual transformation of gender/sex.
Since I believe the person who suggested the pose change scroll suggested it for those reasons, and doesn't like a true sex change scroll because of the points brought up, I can't see it as a blatant refusal of anything except making a game that is already pretty darn easy, even easier.
Quote:
I think making it a Baldwin item would really tie up with the magical lore and aesthetic of the game. I mean look at the Bogsneaks! We can already change dragon breeds, genes, and (random) colors. I see why the colors are random as to make projects not too easy; however, a “random gender” scroll would be frustrating since the game only utilizes two sexes (I’d propose the idea of a scroll for another pose, but even the thought of the art required for that addition gives me chills). On the other hand, making it a gem marketplace item would bring in much-deserved revenue for the people working on this site behind the scenes.
Except that those aren't comparable.

The way FR is set up, the only way to get new genes into the game is to use a scroll. Sure, FR could change the way the entire game is setup to introduce them a different way, but this way works, so why change it?

Breed changes are the easiest way to get new breeds onto existing dragons, and only a handful of breeds have a way to make a Gen1 without a scroll. So, again, it could be changed to make it so that all breeds hatch from various eggs, but the way it is done now, works.

Color scrolls are a gamble, and truthfully, if they didn't already exist, I wouldn't really see the point of them (even though I scattered one of my dragons and she came out nice). However, again, they are random. As you pointed out, a random 'sex/gender' scroll wouldn't work.

However, a Sex change scroll is not like any of those. There is no need to have a sex change (or gender change) scroll to add in new sexes because FR only needs two sexes, male and female. All other genders can, and often are, utilized through the bios of the various dragons. Randomizing it wouldn't work because there are only two, as you pointed out.

I do agree that more revenue would be a good thing, but there are many far better ideas in the suggestions forum that could be added through the gem MP than this. This has too many downsides, not just coding issues, to really be something I think would be good for the site.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
To everyone who commented on this post im sorry...i was just simply asking a question and giving a suggestion. I was stating that maybe when you have enough money or gems you could go yo the marketplace and buy a gender change scroll. it would cost a bit of money too so you cant just go and buy a bunch unless you have that much money.

say you have two female dragons that you think would be a good breeding pair, but you can breed two females together so you would need one to be a male the gender change scroll would simple change the gender of that dragon. so you can breed them together like any other breeding pair.

I was not talking about being able to breed to dragons of the same sex together at all but i guess i should have specified more and im sorry i didn't.

im relativity new to FR and to the forums. I thought that the forums where a place to give suggestions or ask questions. so that is what i did... sorry
To everyone who commented on this post im sorry...i was just simply asking a question and giving a suggestion. I was stating that maybe when you have enough money or gems you could go yo the marketplace and buy a gender change scroll. it would cost a bit of money too so you cant just go and buy a bunch unless you have that much money.

say you have two female dragons that you think would be a good breeding pair, but you can breed two females together so you would need one to be a male the gender change scroll would simple change the gender of that dragon. so you can breed them together like any other breeding pair.

I was not talking about being able to breed to dragons of the same sex together at all but i guess i should have specified more and im sorry i didn't.

im relativity new to FR and to the forums. I thought that the forums where a place to give suggestions or ask questions. so that is what i did... sorry

28588696_350.png
1 2 3 4