Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Deity Quests for Retired Items
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 28 29
[quote]On top of that the sprites are in no way required to play and enjoy flight rising. They have 0 effect on actual gameplay so there really isn't a good reason to bring them back.[/quote] If they have no impact on the gameplay of FR then there's also no good reason [i]not [/i]to bring them back. Considering that Year 2 people like me do not have Retired Familiars corresponding to their joining time, there is a measure of a elitism among the first year folks who managed to pick up all the first year items that are now basically unobtainable. You can say it's not elitist, the entire attitude surrounding Sprites is absolutely that. People holding pixel items that aren't actually worth anything over the happiness and enjoyment of other players. People pricing pixel items at 400USD. The "well why don't you just save for a few years and then you'll have one" attitude is absolutely weird, elitist behavior. Items that are unobtainable don't make the game more fun. They create a system of "Haves" and "Have-Nots". This system relies on the Haves showing off, whether by showing off dressed dragons or selling things on the AH -- and the Have-Nots seeing and wanting. It's one of the ways that games with micro-transactions make money -- they rely on people showing off these items and then the people who don't have them become frustrated that they don't have those items and therefore they shell out the cash to be on the same playing field as everyone else. Let's face it: The Sprite market will eventually be nonexistent and that's absolute unfair, especially for players who may join next year, the year after that, the year after. Reintroducing these items in such a way that 1) requires people to work hard and spend time, effort, and treasure to get the rewards and 2) makes the addition of these items slow so that the market slowly stabilizes around more reasonable prices 3) allows people to get these items no matter when they join without having to rely upon old players who are going to charge impossible prices.
Quote:
On top of that the sprites are in no way required to play and enjoy flight rising. They have 0 effect on actual gameplay so there really isn't a good reason to bring them back.

If they have no impact on the gameplay of FR then there's also no good reason not to bring them back.

Considering that Year 2 people like me do not have Retired Familiars corresponding to their joining time, there is a measure of a elitism among the first year folks who managed to pick up all the first year items that are now basically unobtainable. You can say it's not elitist, the entire attitude surrounding Sprites is absolutely that. People holding pixel items that aren't actually worth anything over the happiness and enjoyment of other players. People pricing pixel items at 400USD. The "well why don't you just save for a few years and then you'll have one" attitude is absolutely weird, elitist behavior.

Items that are unobtainable don't make the game more fun. They create a system of "Haves" and "Have-Nots". This system relies on the Haves showing off, whether by showing off dressed dragons or selling things on the AH -- and the Have-Nots seeing and wanting. It's one of the ways that games with micro-transactions make money -- they rely on people showing off these items and then the people who don't have them become frustrated that they don't have those items and therefore they shell out the cash to be on the same playing field as everyone else.

Let's face it: The Sprite market will eventually be nonexistent and that's absolute unfair, especially for players who may join next year, the year after that, the year after. Reintroducing these items in such a way that 1) requires people to work hard and spend time, effort, and treasure to get the rewards and 2) makes the addition of these items slow so that the market slowly stabilizes around more reasonable prices 3) allows people to get these items no matter when they join without having to rely upon old players who are going to charge impossible prices.
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
[quote name="McAlli" date=2016-06-18 14:11:27] And again. The admins have said "We're not doing this" for other things and then done it. We literally just had one of those situations last week. So again, for the admins to say something isn't written in stone. If enough people generate a buzz then they are likely to reconsider and change because the admins should want what makes a majority of their userbase happy. But hey. That's just me. [/quote] @McAlli If you are talking about the new box thing, no they didn't "undo" something they said they would never do. Retired items still won't appear in those boxes, only unreleased future items that will not be retired nor was it ever stated "all festival items in the future will also all retire." What else have they said "never" and changed their minds on? I've been here since public launch and the only thing I can remember is flight changing but my memory isn't the best. Allowing people to change flights was okay because doesn't impact anyone negatively like having their investments or efforts devalued. It mostly just effects the game on a per-account basis by allowing people to change what micro-community they are a member. It neither benefits or harms other players. Re-releasing retired items that the staff have been saying will never return for 3 years now does effect other players by altering the value of the items. Items that people have worked very hard in-game or paid real money in gems to obtain based on the understanding they will not return. What I really fail to understand is how not having a sprite, something that has no impact on the game itself, is "unfair." You aren't disadvantaged by not having it, it has no negative impact on your game, just your personal desire to own something you cannot afford. But Re-releasing an item other people have paid in excess of 10k gems for [i]knowing[/i] they will never come back, having worked hard to earn those gems or paid more than $100 of real money to FR, is fair? Re-releasing an item that will devalue another persons assets and cause them to loose income is fair? Look, I think you have a really cool idea for some seriously epic items. Just, not for [b]any[/b] retired items for the reasons already given.
McAlli wrote on 2016-06-18:
And again. The admins have said "We're not doing this" for other things and then done it. We literally just had one of those situations last week. So again, for the admins to say something isn't written in stone. If enough people generate a buzz then they are likely to reconsider and change because the admins should want what makes a majority of their userbase happy. But hey. That's just me.

@McAlli
If you are talking about the new box thing, no they didn't "undo" something they said they would never do. Retired items still won't appear in those boxes, only unreleased future items that will not be retired nor was it ever stated "all festival items in the future will also all retire."
What else have they said "never" and changed their minds on? I've been here since public launch and the only thing I can remember is flight changing but my memory isn't the best.

Allowing people to change flights was okay because doesn't impact anyone negatively like having their investments or efforts devalued. It mostly just effects the game on a per-account basis by allowing people to change what micro-community they are a member. It neither benefits or harms other players.

Re-releasing retired items that the staff have been saying will never return for 3 years now does effect other players by altering the value of the items. Items that people have worked very hard in-game or paid real money in gems to obtain based on the understanding they will not return.

What I really fail to understand is how not having a sprite, something that has no impact on the game itself, is "unfair." You aren't disadvantaged by not having it, it has no negative impact on your game, just your personal desire to own something you cannot afford.
But Re-releasing an item other people have paid in excess of 10k gems for knowing they will never come back, having worked hard to earn those gems or paid more than $100 of real money to FR, is fair? Re-releasing an item that will devalue another persons assets and cause them to loose income is fair?

Look, I think you have a really cool idea for some seriously epic items. Just, not for any retired items for the reasons already given.
I honestly don't get the whole "but hard work will be invalidated!" argument, like how? Specially consider we're talking about the same items here.

Okay so:

User A got their sprite from the festival
User B bought a sprite for 50k treasure
User C did an art trade for a sprite
User D won theirs in a raffle
User E was gifted a sprite
User F coughed up some cash and bought a sprite for 10k gems
User G paid 1 mil for a sprite
User H got a sprite from doing the quests (in this scenario this would've been implemented)

So, is G's hard work invalid because D won one in a raffle or the fact E got theirs gifted? Is B's work for treasure invalid because A got theirs from the festival? Got F screwed over because C did an art trade for a sprite while they bought one for gems? Who's screwed over by the fact H got one from doing this quest system? Should G feel cheated because they paid a lot more for their sprite then B did? Who's work is exactly invalidated?

Having a small controlled trickle would pretty much be like an old user coming back and selling their sprites after being gone for a long time, this feature sure it would devalue them some by a smidge but it wouldn't make them worthless straight away.

Come on people we broke the sound barrier and landed on the moon, surely we should be more then capable to make a bunch of pixel items super rare and valuable but also obtainable >>
I honestly don't get the whole "but hard work will be invalidated!" argument, like how? Specially consider we're talking about the same items here.

Okay so:

User A got their sprite from the festival
User B bought a sprite for 50k treasure
User C did an art trade for a sprite
User D won theirs in a raffle
User E was gifted a sprite
User F coughed up some cash and bought a sprite for 10k gems
User G paid 1 mil for a sprite
User H got a sprite from doing the quests (in this scenario this would've been implemented)

So, is G's hard work invalid because D won one in a raffle or the fact E got theirs gifted? Is B's work for treasure invalid because A got theirs from the festival? Got F screwed over because C did an art trade for a sprite while they bought one for gems? Who's screwed over by the fact H got one from doing this quest system? Should G feel cheated because they paid a lot more for their sprite then B did? Who's work is exactly invalidated?

Having a small controlled trickle would pretty much be like an old user coming back and selling their sprites after being gone for a long time, this feature sure it would devalue them some by a smidge but it wouldn't make them worthless straight away.

Come on people we broke the sound barrier and landed on the moon, surely we should be more then capable to make a bunch of pixel items super rare and valuable but also obtainable >>
DVcXRyP.png
@Apocalyptichorse
We are talking about money, not a sense of achievement.
People being gifted sprites or winning them from a raffle doesn't devalue sprites in a literal sense. People being given sprites, paying different amounts at different times or to different people, or paying in different ways doesn't affect the value of sprites as a whole.

They are still not available in the way all these suggestions request they be made, even getting one for free or cheaply now relies on generosity of other players rather than new sprites being created from the system at a low rate.

Having a small trickle from a source such as this would instantly devalue sprites in the AH, monetarily. Not necessarily because there would suddenly be more but because they would be obtainable from the system given enough time.

For example, do you see 20 threads in the suggestion area to have the hippojay or bosses made more widely available? No, because despite being more uncommon than almost all of the sprites anyone can get one given time and luck. You never have to buy one from the AH unless you are impatient, you can get one eventually from the game itself. Despite being super rare, I've only missed two days of gathering in three years that I can remember and never gotten one of the super rare gathering familiars, their value is kept down by the fact that they are theoretically possible to get somewhere other than player to player, even if it's a .1% drop rate. Supply is very low but so is demand.

Just having another way to obtain sprites for any less than their current market value would immediately decrease demand for them in the AH, and they would loose value. Everyone using sprites as an investment looses money and anyone who bought one after being told they were going to be gone forever have just been cheated.

Now, I know full well market variations are a thing but when a particular item has repeatedly been said to be retired, done, no more, gone forever over three years by it's creators and people are basing their decisions on that information the market depreciating rapidly because the creators were lying through their teeth is a non-factor.
The retired item market, because of it's unique nature, is different than other items or most real life examples.
@Apocalyptichorse
We are talking about money, not a sense of achievement.
People being gifted sprites or winning them from a raffle doesn't devalue sprites in a literal sense. People being given sprites, paying different amounts at different times or to different people, or paying in different ways doesn't affect the value of sprites as a whole.

They are still not available in the way all these suggestions request they be made, even getting one for free or cheaply now relies on generosity of other players rather than new sprites being created from the system at a low rate.

Having a small trickle from a source such as this would instantly devalue sprites in the AH, monetarily. Not necessarily because there would suddenly be more but because they would be obtainable from the system given enough time.

For example, do you see 20 threads in the suggestion area to have the hippojay or bosses made more widely available? No, because despite being more uncommon than almost all of the sprites anyone can get one given time and luck. You never have to buy one from the AH unless you are impatient, you can get one eventually from the game itself. Despite being super rare, I've only missed two days of gathering in three years that I can remember and never gotten one of the super rare gathering familiars, their value is kept down by the fact that they are theoretically possible to get somewhere other than player to player, even if it's a .1% drop rate. Supply is very low but so is demand.

Just having another way to obtain sprites for any less than their current market value would immediately decrease demand for them in the AH, and they would loose value. Everyone using sprites as an investment looses money and anyone who bought one after being told they were going to be gone forever have just been cheated.

Now, I know full well market variations are a thing but when a particular item has repeatedly been said to be retired, done, no more, gone forever over three years by it's creators and people are basing their decisions on that information the market depreciating rapidly because the creators were lying through their teeth is a non-factor.
The retired item market, because of it's unique nature, is different than other items or most real life examples.
[quote]Allowing people to change flights was okay because doesn't impact anyone negatively like having their investments or efforts devalued.[/quote] [quote]Just having another way to obtain sprites for any less than their current market value would immediately decrease demand for them in the AH, and they would loose value. Everyone using sprites as an investment looses money and anyone who bought one after being told they were going to be gone forever have just been cheated.[/quote] You [i]haven't[/i] invested in anything though. Like, be real. The real value of a Sprite or any item at all is $0. If you've put money into FR at all, you've just paid the Admins. You haven't invested in anything. There is no value in these items that's going to come back to you in any non-virtual way. So again: Re-releasing retired items is not going to affect people in any real way beyond making them upset that they can't sell something for an atrocious amount of virtual money and losing their bragging rights because they owned this thing. Let's not forget that this is a game. And giving people, especially new players, the ability to have the same shot at items that first-years did, [i]is not a bad thing[/i]. If people are going to keep insisting that Sprites have no affect on gameplay, then they also have to admit that re-releasing them will have no affect on gameplay. :/ Just saying.
Quote:
Allowing people to change flights was okay because doesn't impact anyone negatively like having their investments or efforts devalued.
Quote:

You haven't invested in anything though. Like, be real. The real value of a Sprite or any item at all is $0. If you've put money into FR at all, you've just paid the Admins. You haven't invested in anything. There is no value in these items that's going to come back to you in any non-virtual way. So again: Re-releasing retired items is not going to affect people in any real way beyond making them upset that they can't sell something for an atrocious amount of virtual money and losing their bragging rights because they owned this thing. Let's not forget that this is a game. And giving people, especially new players, the ability to have the same shot at items that first-years did, is not a bad thing.

If people are going to keep insisting that Sprites have no affect on gameplay, then they also have to admit that re-releasing them will have no affect on gameplay. :/ Just saying.
i'd be interest in an involved questing feature that gives a variety of rewards. i myself sympathize with both sides of the unretiring argument, but i think the system suggested has benefits if retired festival gear is included or not. i definitely think work equal to paying millions of treasure or gems could be engineered into this process, making acquiring rare "retired" items a trade off- either you scrape & buy hundreds of thousands of digital currency, or you engage in a lengthy, costly & convoluted (but rewarding) process to give you a chance at a large pool of rewards that are interesting in their own right, even if they're not a pair of thresher flatfins.

to begin with, i'm not fond of the festival mechanic bringing in special items for only a week & then having them never be available again. i don't particularly like the sprites beyond thinking they're mildly cute, but i don't understand why the mechanic of "these are literally never going to be brought back again" was used in the first place. i'd love a lore-heavy site mechanic for working hard for valuable items. i'd love something that would perhaps involve a lot of coli farming for x drop from y enemy to turn in for a specific reward, leading on to the next quest with a slightly more difficult task for a slightly more valuable reward. i actually wouldn't necessarily care if a retired familiar or apparel were available from it, i think it's a good idea in of itself.

if it takes literal months of grinding & perhaps some Adventure Mode/other new feature questing to lead up to getting a chance at a desirable item. i'm also really into the exaltation suggestions i've seen here.

adding a unique pool of reward items, such as rare crafting materials, exclusive familiars & apparel, perhaps related to either a flight or a general questing theme could add a big draw. there are plenty of places to add treasure sinks along the way, such as there being a treasure "donation" required along with needing to gather materials and exalts.

the topic of even potentially adding currently retired items back into circulation seems to be a very touchy issue. i'd prefer not to be pinged with aggressive or hostile comments. if you strongly disagree with something i've said, feel free to quote me & point it out, but i don't want to be pinged as i'm not very interested in debating. i just wanted to add my current 2 cents, which i've formed after carefully reading dozens of discussions about this issue over the past few months.
i'd be interest in an involved questing feature that gives a variety of rewards. i myself sympathize with both sides of the unretiring argument, but i think the system suggested has benefits if retired festival gear is included or not. i definitely think work equal to paying millions of treasure or gems could be engineered into this process, making acquiring rare "retired" items a trade off- either you scrape & buy hundreds of thousands of digital currency, or you engage in a lengthy, costly & convoluted (but rewarding) process to give you a chance at a large pool of rewards that are interesting in their own right, even if they're not a pair of thresher flatfins.

to begin with, i'm not fond of the festival mechanic bringing in special items for only a week & then having them never be available again. i don't particularly like the sprites beyond thinking they're mildly cute, but i don't understand why the mechanic of "these are literally never going to be brought back again" was used in the first place. i'd love a lore-heavy site mechanic for working hard for valuable items. i'd love something that would perhaps involve a lot of coli farming for x drop from y enemy to turn in for a specific reward, leading on to the next quest with a slightly more difficult task for a slightly more valuable reward. i actually wouldn't necessarily care if a retired familiar or apparel were available from it, i think it's a good idea in of itself.

if it takes literal months of grinding & perhaps some Adventure Mode/other new feature questing to lead up to getting a chance at a desirable item. i'm also really into the exaltation suggestions i've seen here.

adding a unique pool of reward items, such as rare crafting materials, exclusive familiars & apparel, perhaps related to either a flight or a general questing theme could add a big draw. there are plenty of places to add treasure sinks along the way, such as there being a treasure "donation" required along with needing to gather materials and exalts.

the topic of even potentially adding currently retired items back into circulation seems to be a very touchy issue. i'd prefer not to be pinged with aggressive or hostile comments. if you strongly disagree with something i've said, feel free to quote me & point it out, but i don't want to be pinged as i'm not very interested in debating. i just wanted to add my current 2 cents, which i've formed after carefully reading dozens of discussions about this issue over the past few months.
@Ankoku

Looking at all the people who are questing for sprites majority of them rather seems to want the sprites to keep them and not use them to invest. Then there is still going to be the issue that at some point there simply aren't going to be any sprites left, so collecting or investing in them is pointless because they're gone, is it wrong that people want to prevent that from happening?

@Ankoku

Looking at all the people who are questing for sprites majority of them rather seems to want the sprites to keep them and not use them to invest. Then there is still going to be the issue that at some point there simply aren't going to be any sprites left, so collecting or investing in them is pointless because they're gone, is it wrong that people want to prevent that from happening?

DVcXRyP.png
Quote:
Then there is still going to be the issue that at some point there simply aren't going to be any sprites left, so collecting or investing in them is pointless because they're gone, is it wrong that people want to prevent that from happening?

People didn't do that for Boolean, or the Imperial scrolls? Why are the sprites so important compared to Kickstarter items? Or even Akirbeak. People don't seem worried about Akirbeak being extinct and yet AKIRBEAK IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN ALL SPRITES BUT ONE

And, you didn't need to do anything for Akirbeak. You just had to have an account when the site went down for a few days. That's it. At least, you had to deal with the terrible coli for the sprites.
Quote:
Then there is still going to be the issue that at some point there simply aren't going to be any sprites left, so collecting or investing in them is pointless because they're gone, is it wrong that people want to prevent that from happening?

People didn't do that for Boolean, or the Imperial scrolls? Why are the sprites so important compared to Kickstarter items? Or even Akirbeak. People don't seem worried about Akirbeak being extinct and yet AKIRBEAK IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN ALL SPRITES BUT ONE

And, you didn't need to do anything for Akirbeak. You just had to have an account when the site went down for a few days. That's it. At least, you had to deal with the terrible coli for the sprites.
[quote name="LucidDreams" date=2016-06-19 10:33:49] Why are people always so rude towards those that have sprites/retired items on topics like this?[/quote] To be fair, tone is difficult to translate from simple text; there might be a lot of misreading because of that and therefore, people get more heated. D: And there's been more than a few rude, snarky, snappy comments from the other side that people should just "get over it". The crassness isn't limited to just a single side of the argument. [quote name="LucidDreams" date=2016-06-19 10:33:49] I personally saved up on and off for a year to complete my sprite collection- I didn't do it for bragging rights, or as an investment. I did it because I liked them and wanted to put them on my dragons. If they were completely devalued, yes I would be upset, not because I couldn't lord them over people or sell them. But because I saved up a large amount of treasure for them, and put a lot of time and effort into it when I could have waited a little while and gotten them for much less effort and treasure. I could have bought all of the retired usermade accents I missed whilst I was trying to save up for them. I could have gened up some of my dragons and had more fun, rather than thinking "no I should be saving my treasure".[/quote] I did the same thing for a Crowned Roc when I first started, actually. I bought it with gems after deliberating for a long, hard time about whether I wanted to put my actual money into the site and if I would actually be able to get a Coli drop on it. I decided to go for it and get that fluffy green bird anyway and then the Vistas happened. And the Crowned Roc is... half what I paid for it. Am I salty over it? No, not really. I paid the price that it was available for at that time. I'm a little angry that I didn't wait, what, two weeks longer. But that's what happens. Sucks to be me lol
LucidDreams wrote on 2016-06-19:
Why are people always so rude towards those that have sprites/retired items on topics like this?

To be fair, tone is difficult to translate from simple text; there might be a lot of misreading because of that and therefore, people get more heated. D: And there's been more than a few rude, snarky, snappy comments from the other side that people should just "get over it". The crassness isn't limited to just a single side of the argument.

LucidDreams wrote on 2016-06-19:
I personally saved up on and off for a year to complete my sprite collection- I didn't do it for bragging rights, or as an investment. I did it because I liked them and wanted to put them on my dragons. If they were completely devalued, yes I would be upset, not because I couldn't lord them over people or sell them. But because I saved up a large amount of treasure for them, and put a lot of time and effort into it when I could have waited a little while and gotten them for much less effort and treasure. I could have bought all of the retired usermade accents I missed whilst I was trying to save up for them. I could have gened up some of my dragons and had more fun, rather than thinking "no I should be saving my treasure".

I did the same thing for a Crowned Roc when I first started, actually. I bought it with gems after deliberating for a long, hard time about whether I wanted to put my actual money into the site and if I would actually be able to get a Coli drop on it. I decided to go for it and get that fluffy green bird anyway and then the Vistas happened. And the Crowned Roc is... half what I paid for it.

Am I salty over it? No, not really. I paid the price that it was available for at that time. I'm a little angry that I didn't wait, what, two weeks longer. But that's what happens. Sucks to be me lol
sig-145.png
url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ibaz/2228365/1]UM/ Festival Accents for Sale Here![/url]
Apologies if I come off as rude to anyone. That's not my intention. I'm just trying to state facts. At the end of the day, FR is a game. Everything we put into this has no value. Investment = Return, and there's no real return since everything is a virtual item. Whether or not people mean to, the system of Haves and Have-Nots creates this unhappy diochotomy. My suggestion is just to allow new players access to old things without having to "save up for a few years" as I've been told to do. I don't think that's a bad suggestion. I don't think allowing players to [i]work [/i]for items that they can't get otherwise is a bad thing. And if this sort of things helps with retaining players by introducing a rigorous quest system with worthwhile old and unique rewards, that can be easily tied into the lore of the site, then that's an added bonus. [quote]People didn't do that for Boolean, or the Imperial scrolls? Why are the sprites so important compared to Kickstarter items?[/quote] I'm not touching the Kickstarter items because they're a whole different monster. KS items were given to people who put their money on making FR become a thing in and of itself. They were behind making the site exist in the first place, and while they also don't get anything back in terms of "investment", they are part of the reason that FR even exists. I would prefer for the Boolean achievement to be removed, but I wouldn't want to put KS items into the Reward Pool because they were for people who actually assisted with the creation of the site. Sprites, however, were just Holiday Familiars. No difference from the Bears or Acolytes except for when they were introduced. So they're a fair game, whereas KS items are not. @LucidDreams Coming back, I realize that my response sounded testy and I apologize that I made you feel that way. That was not my intention, and I'm sorry. Your example of having the Sprites for keeps is kind of why I made this suggestion -- the problem is that eventually all the Sprites, especially earlier ones, will be bought up by people who won't be willing to sell them. Or they'll end up in dead accounts, as many KS items are now. I'm also one of the people who would be playing for keeps. I was questing for Sprites early in my FR days, but quickly gave up as inflation rose the prices faster than I could earn money. Now some of them are so astronomical, it's downright depressing. And imagine how that's going to be for players who join next year. The year after? I'm generally against the idea of retired items, or limited items. GaiaOnline has a huge problem with that right now, and all it does is inflate the market because people sell these limited things for ridiculous amounts of gold. And players get frustrated, and what do they do? They design gold generators. I don't think we have that problem on FR, but it could be a problem in the future -- especially when Open Registration is a thing. But seeping bits of items into the market not only keeps things stable and worthwhile, but it allows players to have access to things no matter when they join. Using GaiaOnline as the example -- the economy is so wrecked by people responding to these limited items with gold generatores that the site is 100% unfriendly towards new players, who find that something as simple as a Starter Shirt costs 50k. That's a roundabout example, though. My argument is that allowing people to work their butts off for the chance of a [i]single [/i]item isn't going to hurt anyone in the long run, and will in fact be beneficial -- imo. The Quest would be a time sink, a treasure sink, an item sink, lore driven, and something to engage players more thoroughly. Play the quest multiple times to get one of each thing -- and I think, when you only give people one, they're more likely to keep it then sell it (except for older players who will have extras to part with) and so I don't think it would affect the market too badly. Though my prior concern is players, especially new ones, and allowing them the chance to have stuff they can't get just because they didn't know about FR early enough. Hope I'm making sense, I just feel like I'm rambling now.
Apologies if I come off as rude to anyone. That's not my intention. I'm just trying to state facts. At the end of the day, FR is a game. Everything we put into this has no value. Investment = Return, and there's no real return since everything is a virtual item.

Whether or not people mean to, the system of Haves and Have-Nots creates this unhappy diochotomy. My suggestion is just to allow new players access to old things without having to "save up for a few years" as I've been told to do. I don't think that's a bad suggestion. I don't think allowing players to work for items that they can't get otherwise is a bad thing. And if this sort of things helps with retaining players by introducing a rigorous quest system with worthwhile old and unique rewards, that can be easily tied into the lore of the site, then that's an added bonus.

Quote:
People didn't do that for Boolean, or the Imperial scrolls? Why are the sprites so important compared to Kickstarter items?

I'm not touching the Kickstarter items because they're a whole different monster. KS items were given to people who put their money on making FR become a thing in and of itself. They were behind making the site exist in the first place, and while they also don't get anything back in terms of "investment", they are part of the reason that FR even exists.

I would prefer for the Boolean achievement to be removed, but I wouldn't want to put KS items into the Reward Pool because they were for people who actually assisted with the creation of the site.

Sprites, however, were just Holiday Familiars. No difference from the Bears or Acolytes except for when they were introduced. So they're a fair game, whereas KS items are not.

@LucidDreams

Coming back, I realize that my response sounded testy and I apologize that I made you feel that way. That was not my intention, and I'm sorry.

Your example of having the Sprites for keeps is kind of why I made this suggestion -- the problem is that eventually all the Sprites, especially earlier ones, will be bought up by people who won't be willing to sell them. Or they'll end up in dead accounts, as many KS items are now. I'm also one of the people who would be playing for keeps.

I was questing for Sprites early in my FR days, but quickly gave up as inflation rose the prices faster than I could earn money. Now some of them are so astronomical, it's downright depressing. And imagine how that's going to be for players who join next year. The year after?

I'm generally against the idea of retired items, or limited items. GaiaOnline has a huge problem with that right now, and all it does is inflate the market because people sell these limited things for ridiculous amounts of gold. And players get frustrated, and what do they do? They design gold generators. I don't think we have that problem on FR, but it could be a problem in the future -- especially when Open Registration is a thing. But seeping bits of items into the market not only keeps things stable and worthwhile, but it allows players to have access to things no matter when they join. Using GaiaOnline as the example -- the economy is so wrecked by people responding to these limited items with gold generatores that the site is 100% unfriendly towards new players, who find that something as simple as a Starter Shirt costs 50k. That's a roundabout example, though.

My argument is that allowing people to work their butts off for the chance of a single item isn't going to hurt anyone in the long run, and will in fact be beneficial -- imo. The Quest would be a time sink, a treasure sink, an item sink, lore driven, and something to engage players more thoroughly. Play the quest multiple times to get one of each thing -- and I think, when you only give people one, they're more likely to keep it then sell it (except for older players who will have extras to part with) and so I don't think it would affect the market too badly. Though my prior concern is players, especially new ones, and allowing them the chance to have stuff they can't get just because they didn't know about FR early enough. Hope I'm making sense, I just feel like I'm rambling now.
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 28 29