Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [RoR] Day of the Dead Trivia OPEN
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 18
[center][img]https://i.imgur.com/EftDW3A.png[/img][/center] [size=4][color=brown][b]Welcome to the Riot of Rot's Day of the Dead Trivia. Test your knowledge and win fun prizes. Participating here will not only enter you for a Daily Prize, but you will also be earning tickets to the Out of Flight Raffle and to the In-flight Raffles (Plague members). So step right up and let's see if Berith can stump you with trivia about the celebrations of Day of the Dead...[/b][/color][/size] [columns] [b]Origins:[/b] The origins of the Day of the Dead celebrations in Mexico can be traced back to the indigenous peoples such as the Aztec, Maya, P'urhépecha, Nahua, and Totonac. Rituals celebrating the lives of their ancestors have been observed by these civilizations for the last three thousand years. In the pre-Hispanic era, it was common to keep skulls as trophies and display them during the rituals to symbolize death and rebirth. [nextcol] The festival that became the modern Day of the Dead was held in the ninth month of the Aztec calendar, about the beginning of August, and was celebrated for an entire month. The festivities were dedicated to the goddess Mictecacihuatl, known as the "Lady of the Dead," corresponding to the modern Catrina. [nextcol][img]https://i.imgur.com/ORTE1tv.jpg[/img][/columns] [size=2]Today, Day of the Dead is celebrated throughout Mexico and the Catholic world... Italy, Spain, South America and the Philippines all celebrate All Souls and All Saints Day on November 1st and 2nd. Special Masses and perhaps cleaning of the cemetery tombs are part of the traditional activities... it's only in Central and Southern Mexico where the colorful parties take place in the cemeteries and elaborate ofrenda altars are built in the homes to honor specific family members who have passed on. [/size] [url=http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Day_of_the_Dead]Click here to read more.[/url] [rule] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=21387458] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/213875/21387458_350.png[/img] [/url][nextcol]In the distance, you see a booth, sitting on the edge of The Scarred Wasteland. A wildclaw beckons you forward. Nervously, you approach the booth, trying not to show the trembling of your body. In a raspy voice, that sounds more like the dragon has been inhaling wretched fumes for far too many sunrises, "My name is Berith. I've come out to the borders for our celebration of survival. Only the strongest clans can live among the ruins here, and this month we honor all of Sornieth - inviting all clans to celebrate the Riot of Rot." Would you care to answer the Daily "Day of the Dead" Trivia? I have many prizes to unload over the next week, so come along, don't be afraid - let's test your knowledge of the celebration known as "Day of the Dead" - [i]Día de Muertos[/i]." [/columns] [rule] [center][url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rwZdfY_qK9YYo0QA8NtDhXcJgrTODv0rI7u1XRpDJgQ/edit?usp=sharing][img]https://i.imgur.com/Hy6JJO4.png[/img][/url][/center] [rule] [img]https://i.imgur.com/ShTFBkB.png[/img] [size=5][b]RULES[/b][/size] [LIST=1] [*]One entry per day, per person. [*]All flights welcome to join. [*]I reserve the right to disqualify anyone who is not being respectful to others or the game. [*]There are no limitations on how many times you can win. [*][b][i]The trivia of the day will not end on rollovers. It will end the following morning when I post.[/i][/b] [*]From the correct answers each day, the winner will be selected via random.org [*]Participants will also be entered in Plague's Out of Flight Raffle, and for Plague Flight members will be entered in the In-flight Raffle. [*]You do not have to ping me if you don't want to, I am subscribed to the post. [*]Puns, jokes and FUN are mandatory. :) [/LIST] [size=5][b]HOW TO PLAY[/b][/size] [LIST=1] [*]Answer the daily trivia question right here on the forum. Do not PM me with answers. You can copy others, but if they are wrong, than so are you. [*][b][i]Correct answers will be the only ones that will be in the Daily Prize drawing, although you will still earn participation tickets to the raffles, see below. [/i][/b] [*]Tickets to the Out of Flight Raffle (out of flight members), and for the In-flight Raffle (Plague flight members) will be awarded. Participation will nab you 1 ticket per day, per player. Tallied and turned in at the end of the week. [/LIST] [img]https://i.imgur.com/O2pAjmq.png[/img] [quote=Day One Prize - Sunday, Oct 22] Winner: Beatoriche [/quote] [quote=Day Two Prize - Monday, Oct 23] Winner - Tiger33621 [/quote] [quote=Day Three Prize - Tuesday, Oct 24] Winner is SeaGodling [/quote] [quote=Day Four Prize - Wednesday, Oct 25] Winner - LightHelco [/quote] [quote=Day Five Prize - Thursday, Oct. 26] Winner - Espoir [/quote] [quote=Day Six Prize - Friday, Oct. 27] Winner - Katsuokai [/quote] [quote=Day Seven Prize - Saturday - Oct. 28] [center] Winner - Silversouledcat [/center] [/quote] [img]https://i.imgur.com/vvh1SfC.png[/img] [center][b] ~Trivia Question - Day 1 - Sunday, Oct. 22 ~[/b] [size=2]Answer directly here on the forum.[/size] This film takes place in a fictionalized Los Angeles during Day of the Dead. What's the film? [b]Answer: The Crow: City of Angels [/b] [img]https://i.imgur.com/yYiOs7B.jpg[/img] This sequel to the 1994 film, the main plot spans a couple of days during All Saints Day and Day of the Dead. As for the other guesses, for Blood In, Blood out - even though this movie revolved around Chicano gangs in East L.A., it did not have any major plot references to Day of the Dead. The animated movie, Book of Life does revolve around Day of the Dead, but is based in a town in Mexico, not L.A. [b] Winner is Beatoriche[/b] [/center] [rule] [center][b] ~Trivia Question - Day 2 - Monday, Oct. 23 ~[/b] [size=2]Answer directly here on the forum.[/size] What is the purpose of the marigold petals leading up to the altars? [b]Answer:[/b] The fragrance of the marigolds lead the loved one's spirits to the altar. Can't stump you all on that one! [b] Winner is Tiger33621[/b] [rule] [b] ~Trivia Question - Day 3 -Tuesday, Oct. 24 ~[/b] [size=2]Answer directly here on the forum.[/size] What is the official name of what is in the picture? [img]https://i.imgur.com/0MSpnhN.jpg[/img] [b]Answer:[/b] Pan de Muerto Translated literally as "bread of the dead," Pan de Muerto is eaten by almost everyone in central and southern Mexico on and around Nov. 1 and 2 as an important element in the annual Day of the Dead celebration. Most family and communal ofrendas (offerings for the beloved deceased) hold at least one of these loaves, placed for the enjoyment of visiting souls. A recipe for this wonderful bread can be found [url=https://www.thespruce.com/pan-de- muerto-2343007]HERE.[/url] [b]Winner is SeaGodling[/b] [rule] [b] ~Trivia Question - Day 4 -Wednesday, Oct. 25 ~[/b] [size=2]Answer directly here on the forum.[/size] Traditionally, where do families gather to celebrate? Answer: [img]https://i.imgur.com/7bLtlfh.jpg[/img] Families honor the dead by gathering at home or at the gravesites and serving the favorite foods of the departed at the graveside or leaving it as an offering. Traditional events include cleaning the graves of loved ones, leaving offerings for their spirits (including their favorite foods and, often, tequila), decorating tombstones with marigolds (the traditional flower of the dead), and sitting with family to share humorous memories of the dear departed. In some parts of Mexico, families spend all night beside the graves of their relatives. [b]Winner is LightHelco [/b] [rule] [b] ~Trivia Question - Day 5 -Thursday, Oct. 26 ~[/b] [size=2]Answer directly here on the forum.[/size] Where did the image below come from? [img]https://i.imgur.com/Pf4fIdC.png[/img] In season 2 of Fear the Walking Dead, Celia has an altar that is watched over by the owl carving in the tree. She places photos of the dead on the altar, including a photo of Luis, her son. To understand the owl is to understand Santa Muerte. Although not only used in Day of the Dead celebrations, Muerte’s followers believe death isn’t the end…it’s just a step to eternal life and is still placed on many altars during celebrations. In Fear the Walking Dead's Celia doesn’t think it’s the end for the infected. “(They’re not dead) They are what comes next,” she rationalizes. On the altars, the owl symbolizes the ability to navigate the darkness as well as a messenger from the afterlife.Some of the Mexican view on death are very important to understand when considering the events on Fear the Walking Dead. In season 2, Celia introduces some things and those exaggerated views as might be interpreted in a zombie apocalypse continue as Nick tries to find a place where the dead are not looked at as monsters. Fear the Walking Dead has been conscientious about researching things such as Dia de los Muertos and using beautiful skull art mixed with zombies in their promotions. Some of the symbolism can be related to the zombies and to survival and death regardless of culture–it’s universal. [img]https://i.imgur.com/tlY5YtV.jpg[/img] [b]Winner is Espoir[/b] [rule] [b] ~Trivia Question - Day 6 -Friday, Oct. 27 ~[/b] [size=2]Answer directly here on the forum.[/size] What is one of the most important traditions of Day of the Dead? [img]https://i.imgur.com/JJZMfkk.jpg[/img] Setting up the ofrenda (altar) in memory of the deceased where the four elements of nature: wind, water, fire and earth are represented. The altar may include the favorite foods of the loved one, fruit, bread or pumpkin. The ofrenda is often the most recognized symbol of Día de los Muertos. This temporary altar is a way for families to honor their loved ones and provide them what they need on their journey. They place down pictures of the deceased, along with items that belonged to them and objects that serve as a reminder of their lives. Every ofrenda also includes the four elements: water, wind, earth and fire. Water is left in a pitcher so the spirits can quench their thirst. Papel picado, or traditional paper banners, represent the wind. Earth is represented by food, especially bread. Candles (fire) are often left in the form of a cross to represent the cardinal directions, so the spirits can find their way. [b]Winner is Katsuokai [/b] [rule] [b] ~Trivia Question - Day 7 -Saturday Oct. 28 ~[/b] FINAL [size=2]Answer directly here on the forum.[/size] What is the significance of the sugar skulls? [img]https://i.imgur.com/AFlO6KS.jpg[/img] [b]Answer:[/b] The symbol is a commemoration of the person that is being honored, whether dead or alive, and commonly eaten by a close member of the family. There's meaning behind these molds and why they're made out of sugar. It all dates back to the Spanish conquest. While a tradition of honoring the dead already existed in Mexico at the time, the Spaniards brought about new learnings and customs and with that the idea of molding decorations from ingredients easily available. Sugar was accessible to Mexicans at the time, even those with little money, so it was a natural choice. Once they learned that they could make these skull molds with the ingredient and water (that's all it really is), the idea of the sugar skull evolved and grew to be an important symbol of the day. Winner is Silversouledcat [/center] [color=red][b]I want to thank everyone for playing this week - I've had a lot of fun, and I hope everyone has had a great Riot of Rot. It's been a lot of fun reading all the responses and learning about a wonderful celebration about a sometimes sad subject. It's been my honor. [/b][/color]
EftDW3A.png

Welcome to the Riot of Rot's Day of the Dead Trivia. Test your knowledge and win fun prizes. Participating here will not only enter you for a Daily Prize, but you will also be earning tickets to the Out of Flight Raffle and to the In-flight Raffles (Plague members). So step right up and let's see if Berith can stump you with trivia about the celebrations of Day of the Dead...
Origins: The origins of the Day of the Dead celebrations in Mexico can be traced back to the indigenous peoples such as the Aztec, Maya, P'urhépecha, Nahua, and Totonac. Rituals celebrating the lives of their ancestors have been observed by these civilizations for the last three thousand years. In the pre-Hispanic era, it was common to keep skulls as trophies and display them during the rituals to symbolize death and rebirth. The festival that became the modern Day of the Dead was held in the ninth month of the Aztec calendar, about the beginning of August, and was celebrated for an entire month. The festivities were dedicated to the goddess Mictecacihuatl, known as the "Lady of the Dead," corresponding to the modern Catrina. ORTE1tv.jpg

Today, Day of the Dead is celebrated throughout Mexico and the Catholic world... Italy, Spain, South America and the Philippines all celebrate All Souls and All Saints Day on November 1st and 2nd. Special Masses and perhaps cleaning of the cemetery tombs are part of the traditional activities... it's only in Central and Southern Mexico where the colorful parties take place in the cemeteries and elaborate ofrenda altars are built in the homes to honor specific family members who have passed on.

Click here to read more.

21387458_350.png
In the distance, you see a booth, sitting on the edge of The Scarred Wasteland. A wildclaw beckons you forward. Nervously, you approach the booth, trying not to show the trembling of your body.

In a raspy voice, that sounds more like the dragon has been inhaling wretched fumes for far too many sunrises, "My name is Berith. I've come out to the borders for our celebration of survival. Only the strongest clans can live among the ruins here, and this month we honor all of Sornieth - inviting all clans to celebrate the Riot of Rot."

Would you care to answer the Daily "Day of the Dead" Trivia? I have many prizes to unload over the next week, so come along, don't be afraid - let's test your knowledge of the celebration known as "Day of the Dead" - Día de Muertos."

Hy6JJO4.png

ShTFBkB.png

RULES
  1. One entry per day, per person.
  2. All flights welcome to join.
  3. I reserve the right to disqualify anyone who is not being respectful
    to others or the game.
  4. There are no limitations on how many times you can win.
  5. The trivia of the day will not end on rollovers. It will end the following
    morning when I post.
  6. From the correct answers each day, the winner will be selected via random.org
  7. Participants will also be entered in Plague's Out of Flight Raffle, and for Plague Flight members will be entered in the In-flight Raffle.
  8. You do not have to ping me if you don't want to, I am subscribed to the post.
  9. Puns, jokes and FUN are mandatory. :)

HOW TO PLAY
  1. Answer the daily trivia question right here on the forum. Do not PM me with answers. You can copy others, but if they are wrong, than so are you.
  2. Correct answers will be the only ones that will be in the Daily Prize drawing, although you will still earn participation tickets to the raffles, see below.
  3. Tickets to the Out of Flight Raffle (out of flight members), and for the In-flight Raffle (Plague flight members) will be awarded. Participation will nab you 1 ticket per day, per player. Tallied and turned in at the end of the week.

O2pAjmq.png

Day One Prize - Sunday, Oct 22 wrote:

Winner: Beatoriche

Day Two Prize - Monday, Oct 23 wrote:

Winner - Tiger33621
Day Three Prize - Tuesday, Oct 24 wrote:

Winner is SeaGodling
Day Four Prize - Wednesday, Oct 25 wrote:

Winner - LightHelco
Day Five Prize - Thursday, Oct. 26 wrote:

Winner - Espoir
Day Six Prize - Friday, Oct. 27 wrote:

Winner - Katsuokai
Day Seven Prize - Saturday - Oct. 28 wrote:

Winner - Silversouledcat

vvh1SfC.png

~Trivia Question - Day 1 - Sunday, Oct. 22 ~

Answer directly here on the forum.

This film takes place in a fictionalized Los Angeles during Day of the Dead.
What's the film?

Answer:

The Crow: City of Angels

yYiOs7B.jpg

This sequel to the 1994 film, the main plot spans a couple of days during All Saints Day and Day of the Dead.

As for the other guesses, for Blood In, Blood out - even though this movie revolved around Chicano gangs in East L.A., it did not have any major plot references to Day of the Dead. The animated movie, Book of Life does revolve around Day of the Dead, but is based in a town in Mexico, not L.A.

Winner is Beatoriche

~Trivia Question - Day 2 - Monday, Oct. 23 ~

What is the purpose of the marigold petals leading up to the altars?

Answer:

The fragrance of the marigolds lead the loved one's spirits to the altar.

Can't stump you all on that one!

Winner is Tiger33621

~Trivia Question - Day 3 -Tuesday, Oct. 24 ~

What is the official name of what is in the picture?

0MSpnhN.jpg

Answer:

Pan de Muerto

Translated literally as "bread of the dead," Pan de Muerto is eaten by almost everyone in central and southern Mexico on and around Nov. 1 and 2 as an important element in the annual Day of the Dead celebration.

Most family and communal ofrendas (offerings for the beloved deceased) hold at least one of these loaves, placed for the enjoyment of visiting souls.

A recipe for this wonderful bread can be found HERE.

Winner is SeaGodling

~Trivia Question - Day 4 -Wednesday, Oct. 25 ~

Traditionally, where do families gather to celebrate?

Answer:

7bLtlfh.jpg

Families honor the dead by gathering at home or at the gravesites and serving the favorite foods of the departed at the graveside or leaving it as an offering. Traditional events include cleaning the graves of loved ones, leaving offerings for their spirits (including their favorite foods and, often, tequila), decorating tombstones with marigolds (the traditional flower of the dead), and sitting with family to share humorous memories of the dear departed. In some parts of Mexico, families spend all night beside the graves of their relatives.

Winner is LightHelco

~Trivia Question - Day 5 -Thursday, Oct. 26 ~

Where did the image below come from?

Pf4fIdC.png

In season 2 of Fear the Walking Dead, Celia has an altar that is watched over by the owl carving in the tree. She places photos of the dead on the altar, including a photo of Luis, her son.

To understand the owl is to understand Santa Muerte. Although not only used in Day of the Dead celebrations, Muerte’s followers believe death isn’t the end…it’s just a step to eternal life and is still placed on many altars during celebrations. In Fear the Walking Dead's Celia doesn’t think it’s the end for the infected. “(They’re not dead) They are what comes next,” she rationalizes.

On the altars, the owl symbolizes the ability to navigate the darkness as well as a messenger from the afterlife.Some of the Mexican view on death are very important to understand when considering the events on Fear the Walking Dead. In season 2, Celia introduces some things and those exaggerated views as might be interpreted in a zombie apocalypse continue as Nick tries to find a place where the dead are not looked at as monsters.

Fear the Walking Dead has been conscientious about researching things such as Dia de los Muertos and using beautiful skull art mixed with zombies in their promotions. Some of the
symbolism can be related to the zombies and to survival and death regardless of culture–it’s universal.

tlY5YtV.jpg

Winner is Espoir

~Trivia Question - Day 6 -Friday, Oct. 27 ~

What is one of the most important traditions of Day of the Dead?

JJZMfkk.jpg

Setting up the ofrenda (altar) in memory of the deceased where the four elements of nature: wind, water, fire and earth are represented. The altar may include the favorite foods of the loved one, fruit, bread or pumpkin.

The ofrenda is often the most recognized symbol of Día de los Muertos. This temporary altar is a way for families to honor their loved ones and provide them what they need on their journey. They place down pictures of the deceased, along with items that belonged to them and objects that serve as a reminder of their lives.

Every ofrenda also includes the four elements: water, wind, earth and fire. Water is left in a pitcher so the spirits can quench their thirst. Papel picado, or traditional paper banners, represent the wind. Earth is represented by food, especially bread. Candles (fire) are often left in the form of a cross to represent the cardinal directions, so the spirits can find their way.

Winner is Katsuokai

~Trivia Question - Day 7 -Saturday Oct. 28 ~

FINAL

What is the significance of the sugar skulls?

AFlO6KS.jpg

Answer:

The symbol is a commemoration of the person that is being honored, whether dead or alive, and commonly eaten by a close member of the family.

There's meaning behind these molds and why they're made out of sugar. It all dates back to the Spanish conquest. While a tradition of honoring the dead already existed in Mexico at the time, the Spaniards brought about new learnings and customs and with that the idea of molding decorations from ingredients easily available. Sugar was accessible to Mexicans at the time, even those with little money, so it was a natural choice. Once they learned that they could make these skull molds with the ingredient and water (that's all it really is), the idea of the sugar skull evolved and grew to be an important symbol of the day.

Winner is Silversouledcat

I want to thank everyone for playing this week - I've had a lot of fun, and I hope everyone has had a great Riot of Rot. It's been a lot of fun reading all the responses and learning about a wonderful celebration about a sometimes sad subject. It's been my honor.

9PW8odu.jpg
[center][img]https://i.imgur.com/Tk6CKri.png[/img] Many thanks to KyraG for the main banner and graphic inspiration. To 3idolon for the massive undertaking that is organizing the RoR festival this year. To DomiDazed for sharing their culture with us, and for the other event runners, volunteers and donators that help make RoR great yet another year. [rule] [img]https://i.imgur.com/dqav3vv.png[/img] [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2301815][img]https://i.imgur.com/Rcw1LzE.gif[/img][/url][/center] [code][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2301815][img]https://i.imgur.com/Rcw1LzE.gif[/img][/url] [/code] [rule] [img]https://i.imgur.com/8oiD64E.png[/img] If you'd like to be notified when a new question is posted.[/center] @Mudy @Osyra @Kristan @Seagodling @LerotheRabbit @Ragnarok42 @Wildtail @SilverSkies614 @Watercolour @Reefknot @kaylavarnell4736 @blackdragonflame @Cheshly @Katsuokai @Eiyora @Fallenarrow @Espoir @Beatoriche @LightHelco @NicoleEirin @Schiemoon @Illmari @Dimness
Tk6CKri.png

Many thanks to KyraG for the main banner and graphic inspiration. To 3idolon for the massive undertaking that is organizing the RoR festival this year. To DomiDazed for sharing their culture with us, and for the other event runners, volunteers and donators that help make RoR great yet another year.

dqav3vv.png

Rcw1LzE.gif
Code:
[url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2301815][img]https://i.imgur.com/Rcw1LzE.gif[/img][/url]

8oiD64E.png
If you'd like to be notified when a new question is posted.

@Mudy @Osyra @Kristan @Seagodling @LerotheRabbit @Ragnarok42 @Wildtail @SilverSkies614 @Watercolour @Reefknot @kaylavarnell4736 @blackdragonflame @Cheshly @Katsuokai @Eiyora @Fallenarrow @Espoir @Beatoriche @LightHelco @NicoleEirin @Schiemoon @Illmari @Dimness
9PW8odu.jpg
Opens Sunday, 10/22!
Opens Sunday, 10/22!
9PW8odu.jpg
@Cheystar

I'd love to join the pinglist - let me know if you'd like me to delete this post to have more reserved space! :)
@Cheystar

I'd love to join the pinglist - let me know if you'd like me to delete this post to have more reserved space! :)
o163-d1-Mudy.pngo163-d2-Mudy.pngo163-d3-Mudy.pngo163-d4-Mudy.pngo163-d5-Mudy.png xrunestone-hoard.png x
Mudy | she/they | +8H FR

English is not my mother language
Spruce kills my playstyle.
toss a like to this loser
About & Lore board
navigator-dominance-board.png
@Mudy

I'll add you, and no it's quite alright for the post. :)
@Mudy

I'll add you, and no it's quite alright for the post. :)
9PW8odu.jpg
@Cheystar Please add me to the pinglist as well when you have a chance!
@Cheystar Please add me to the pinglist as well when you have a chance!
@Cheystar
I'd like to be on the pinglist please :)
@Cheystar
I'd like to be on the pinglist please :)
nn4KUKj.png
Ping me please! Thanks!
Ping me please! Thanks!
MUYNhfy.png axOkNaR.pngHawketh3.png
We are open! First question up!

@Mudy @Osyra @Kristan @Seagodling
We are open! First question up!

@Mudy @Osyra @Kristan @Seagodling
9PW8odu.jpg
Could it be Blood In Blood Out?

Could it be Blood In Blood Out?

f9Gp3JF.png