Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Words on the Wind - Vol. 1
1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 38 39
@Prism Gathering gives you better stuff as you level up. That's the whole point of levelling. At level 1 in a gathering you're going to get lots of stuff worth 1 or 2 food points, where later on you'll be getting things worth 5, 10, or even more food points. Xhaz has already addressed lair caps in detail in a more relevant thread. [quote name="Xhaztol" date="2013-10-01 11:37:59"]Hey everyone! We normally don't chime in on Suggestions topics, but this appears to be more of a clarification thread, so I'm happy to reply. [b]Why are lair expansion costs priced the way they are?[/b] Simply put, and echoed by several people in this thread, these costs are meant as a treasure sink. It's a very common design choice for games to put soft caps in place as a means of progression and goal-making. They increase in price because that is a fairly normal and recognized method for creating a difficulty curve. I will agree that it's not certainly the most interesting choice, but it fulfills a purpose. Is there room for discussion/alteration of the expansion prices? Sure! Our team is absolutely not above adjusting things, much like we did for exaltation payouts, nest sizes, and egg rotting. It is not happening for sure, or soon, but I hope everyone here knows that we absolutely consider things like this and talk about them regularly. [b]Why is there a cap of 99 dragons?[/b] This hard cap is currently in place to help prevent our infrastructure from receiving too much strain. As with all data, the more there is of it, the longer things may take to load, and the less stable the experience can become. Dragons are an inexhaustible/exponential resource, so for the time being, the hard cap is in place to help us better manage that load. Our main focus for Flight Rising is improving its stability. It is why registration is currently closed, why achievements have been mostly disabled, and why we aren't able to provide a whole lot in the way of verbal updates. A lot of time and energy is being devoted to this goal so that everyone can have a great play experience. The dragon cap is included in that. As time goes on, this may change. If we are able to hit a breakthrough in how their data can be stored, we will absolutely be onboard for making some changes in that regard. It's just taking time. We really appreciate everyone's passion for Flight Rising, its creatures, and the desire to understand more about the game. Your constructive threads really help keep our brain gears turnin'![/quote]
@Prism

Gathering gives you better stuff as you level up. That's the whole point of levelling. At level 1 in a gathering you're going to get lots of stuff worth 1 or 2 food points, where later on you'll be getting things worth 5, 10, or even more food points.

Xhaz has already addressed lair caps in detail in a more relevant thread.
Xhaztol wrote on 2013-10-01 11:37:59:
Hey everyone! We normally don't chime in on Suggestions topics, but this appears to be more of a clarification thread, so I'm happy to reply.

Why are lair expansion costs priced the way they are?
Simply put, and echoed by several people in this thread, these costs are meant as a treasure sink. It's a very common design choice for games to put soft caps in place as a means of progression and goal-making. They increase in price because that is a fairly normal and recognized method for creating a difficulty curve. I will agree that it's not certainly the most interesting choice, but it fulfills a purpose.

Is there room for discussion/alteration of the expansion prices? Sure! Our team is absolutely not above adjusting things, much like we did for exaltation payouts, nest sizes, and egg rotting. It is not happening for sure, or soon, but I hope everyone here knows that we absolutely consider things like this and talk about them regularly.

Why is there a cap of 99 dragons?
This hard cap is currently in place to help prevent our infrastructure from receiving too much strain. As with all data, the more there is of it, the longer things may take to load, and the less stable the experience can become. Dragons are an inexhaustible/exponential resource, so for the time being, the hard cap is in place to help us better manage that load.

Our main focus for Flight Rising is improving its stability. It is why registration is currently closed, why achievements have been mostly disabled, and why we aren't able to provide a whole lot in the way of verbal updates. A lot of time and energy is being devoted to this goal so that everyone can have a great play experience. The dragon cap is included in that.

As time goes on, this may change. If we are able to hit a breakthrough in how their data can be stored, we will absolutely be onboard for making some changes in that regard. It's just taking time.

We really appreciate everyone's passion for Flight Rising, its creatures, and the desire to understand more about the game. Your constructive threads really help keep our brain gears turnin'!
After reading all of the posts I wanted to mention something that happened last month...

I'm the kind of player who has a RL job and only can really play a couple of hours a day. Most days when my friends were playing games they would not load on my computer. The game was beginning to feel a bit depressing because I was experiencing a very real class divide here between my friends. I was coming home and trying to grind as much as I could for what little time I had. I continued being the farthest behind person I know and was not having fun. All I was doing was grinding. This is when I realized I was not playing flight rising to play flight rising, all I was doing was trying to keep up with something that isn't real. I started spending my time going through the forums instead. One day I'll go through the neat fan things and the next I'll write a bio for one of my dragons I intend on never getting rid of. Perhaps one of the days I've finally made a little treasure I'll go find the perfect accessory for a naked dragon. Sites like this are best when you actually have something you personally do with your pets you have collected.

I know several people with what sounds like maxed lairs, not only every breed but several perfect pairs for the high ranking ones... And they were no longer happy because what is the point in playing now? Everyone needs a more concrete goal than making all the money or getting every widget. And with economic issues everyone is in the same boat with space, funds, and having stock they want to sell. I know I'm saving my nicer pairs for after registration opens.

Also I've got to say the games are actually a lot more fun when you can stop playing them the moment they become dull or your arm hurts.
After reading all of the posts I wanted to mention something that happened last month...

I'm the kind of player who has a RL job and only can really play a couple of hours a day. Most days when my friends were playing games they would not load on my computer. The game was beginning to feel a bit depressing because I was experiencing a very real class divide here between my friends. I was coming home and trying to grind as much as I could for what little time I had. I continued being the farthest behind person I know and was not having fun. All I was doing was grinding. This is when I realized I was not playing flight rising to play flight rising, all I was doing was trying to keep up with something that isn't real. I started spending my time going through the forums instead. One day I'll go through the neat fan things and the next I'll write a bio for one of my dragons I intend on never getting rid of. Perhaps one of the days I've finally made a little treasure I'll go find the perfect accessory for a naked dragon. Sites like this are best when you actually have something you personally do with your pets you have collected.

I know several people with what sounds like maxed lairs, not only every breed but several perfect pairs for the high ranking ones... And they were no longer happy because what is the point in playing now? Everyone needs a more concrete goal than making all the money or getting every widget. And with economic issues everyone is in the same boat with space, funds, and having stock they want to sell. I know I'm saving my nicer pairs for after registration opens.

Also I've got to say the games are actually a lot more fun when you can stop playing them the moment they become dull or your arm hurts.
I'm back but don't remember anything...
@Reitgerte
The way gathering currently works, it in fact gives you less good stuff the higher level you are, because you actually have a larger chance of getting more junk items, making good items have a lower and lower chance of appearing. This applies to food as well - more and more low-point items become available, and while high point items also become available, the chance of getting them actually goes down because so much worthless stuff is being added as you gain levels. The system is unfortunately, completely backwards and broken. XD It badly needs fixing, but opening registration seems to be more important than fixing game mechanics, at the moment.

Do you have a link to where Xhaztol mentioned this? I'd love if the admins would add this sort of thing to the newsletter - but glad to hear those two things are not set in stone. I don't mind waiting till the game is stable, as long as there's a likelihood that the game mechanics will be fixed to make the game more playable.

@Xhaztol
If you could add that post about the lair cap and lair expansions to the newsletter itself, I think it would help a lot to clarify some of the issues people are bringing up.

Also editing to add-- I don't stalk admins' posts, so an admin addressing an issue buried inside some forum post is less than useless unless its in a newspost - this is one of the reasons I like the newsletter idea. Communication only works when most users are aware of it.
@Reitgerte
The way gathering currently works, it in fact gives you less good stuff the higher level you are, because you actually have a larger chance of getting more junk items, making good items have a lower and lower chance of appearing. This applies to food as well - more and more low-point items become available, and while high point items also become available, the chance of getting them actually goes down because so much worthless stuff is being added as you gain levels. The system is unfortunately, completely backwards and broken. XD It badly needs fixing, but opening registration seems to be more important than fixing game mechanics, at the moment.

Do you have a link to where Xhaztol mentioned this? I'd love if the admins would add this sort of thing to the newsletter - but glad to hear those two things are not set in stone. I don't mind waiting till the game is stable, as long as there's a likelihood that the game mechanics will be fixed to make the game more playable.

@Xhaztol
If you could add that post about the lair cap and lair expansions to the newsletter itself, I think it would help a lot to clarify some of the issues people are bringing up.

Also editing to add-- I don't stalk admins' posts, so an admin addressing an issue buried inside some forum post is less than useless unless its in a newspost - this is one of the reasons I like the newsletter idea. Communication only works when most users are aware of it.
@Reitgerte Actually as you level up you got to choose between a bigger pool of items but that doesn't mean those items have more value.

I can't find the forum post but an admin replied explaining that you go from chosing between 1/10 items to get 1/20 items. That means less valuable things and more useless items.

When I was in the lower levels I could easily find a dozen of bottles or even 2 chests, now I am lucky if I get 1 bottle out of my 15 gattering turns.
@Reitgerte Actually as you level up you got to choose between a bigger pool of items but that doesn't mean those items have more value.

I can't find the forum post but an admin replied explaining that you go from chosing between 1/10 items to get 1/20 items. That means less valuable things and more useless items.

When I was in the lower levels I could easily find a dozen of bottles or even 2 chests, now I am lucky if I get 1 bottle out of my 15 gattering turns.
Thank you for communicating with us!

I am a little disappointed that treasure/economy issues are on the back burner, because like many of the people in this thread, I've become frustrated with how slow gaining treasure is, to the point where I've considered quitting. I have neither the time nor inclination to play the games/Coli for hours a day just to hit the cap.

Making sure the site actually runs once it opens again (I hope that's very soon!) does come first, though.
Thank you for communicating with us!

I am a little disappointed that treasure/economy issues are on the back burner, because like many of the people in this thread, I've become frustrated with how slow gaining treasure is, to the point where I've considered quitting. I have neither the time nor inclination to play the games/Coli for hours a day just to hit the cap.

Making sure the site actually runs once it opens again (I hope that's very soon!) does come first, though.
Chewy Tentacle
THANK YOU!!!!

Really, posts like THIS will keep me, and most users both in the loop and aware that the topics we are very invested in ARE being looked at.
THANK YOU!!!!

Really, posts like THIS will keep me, and most users both in the loop and aware that the topics we are very invested in ARE being looked at.
1Fannish_Shop_MediumV2_zps1cce32cb.png
Where we ship it. --Join us for Reserves, trades, contests and more!
[quote name="Mammamia" date="2013-10-08 12:25:22"]@Reitgerte Actually as you level up you got to choose between a bigger pool of items but that doesn't mean those items have more value. I can't find the forum post but an admin replied explaining that you go from chosing between 1/10 items to get 1/20 items. That means less valuable things and more useless items. When I was in the lower levels I could easily find a dozen of bottles or even 2 chests, now I am lucky if I get 1 bottle out of my 15 gattering turns.[/quote] @Mammamia Actually in 99% of the cases, the items do hold more value. Our gathering system is a rarity system, so when we add a new 1-star item to the pool, it only competes against other 1-star items for if it will be drawn. The 1-star doesn't compete with existing 4 and 5 star items. In the 1-star example, in levels 1-10 of the food gathering professions they tend to be worth 2-4 food points. In levels 11-20 the new food items added at the 1-star rarity are 4-6 food points each and sell for more, so having them added to the pool only adds to the amount of food you can gather. About that 99% of the cases - there's two special cases where adding items does devalue a certain bracket. Broken penny jars and broken bone bottles. These were special outlier items and are far and above the value of other commonly gathered items. So digging and scavenging do take a hit when new items are added to the same table; however, all the other tables get a boost in sell value, so on average even in these professions will still yield higher value gathers at higher levels. :-) I hope this helps to clarify what happens when new items are added to the pool. As you level up, these new items are going to be worth more in terms of food and sell value, so having new items and leveling up is a good thing!
Mammamia wrote on 2013-10-08 12:25:22:

@Mammamia Actually in 99% of the cases, the items do hold more value. Our gathering system is a rarity system, so when we add a new 1-star item to the pool, it only competes against other 1-star items for if it will be drawn. The 1-star doesn't compete with existing 4 and 5 star items.

In the 1-star example, in levels 1-10 of the food gathering professions they tend to be worth 2-4 food points. In levels 11-20 the new food items added at the 1-star rarity are 4-6 food points each and sell for more, so having them added to the pool only adds to the amount of food you can gather.

About that 99% of the cases - there's two special cases where adding items does devalue a certain bracket. Broken penny jars and broken bone bottles. These were special outlier items and are far and above the value of other commonly gathered items. So digging and scavenging do take a hit when new items are added to the same table; however, all the other tables get a boost in sell value, so on average even in these professions will still yield higher value gathers at higher levels. :-)

I hope this helps to clarify what happens when new items are added to the pool. As you level up, these new items are going to be worth more in terms of food and sell value, so having new items and leveling up is a good thing!
This was an excellent update and it cleared up a lot of questions I had, thank you!
This was an excellent update and it cleared up a lot of questions I had, thank you!
@Undel

You always have such thoughtful answers for us. Thank you for all the hard work you put into the site. It is why FR is so nice. We can really tell you guys care.
@Undel

You always have such thoughtful answers for us. Thank you for all the hard work you put into the site. It is why FR is so nice. We can really tell you guys care.
I'm back but don't remember anything...
@Undel Thank you for the reply, that does explain it very well :3
@Undel Thank you for the reply, that does explain it very well :3
1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 38 39